Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Deakul posted:

I'm hoping the show eventually expands its scope to include the other craziness of the comics.(ghosts, were-people, monsters in general)

It's not. They've specifically said the show will not get more supernatural characters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Deakul posted:

Holy gently caress, this might be my new favorite CW show.
It's Veronica Mars with more zombies and humor.

I'm hoping the show eventually expands its scope to include the other craziness of the comics.(ghosts, were-people, monsters in general)

The showrunners have already said it ends at zombies.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Well, that makes me pretty sad actually...

LostRook
Jun 7, 2013
Zombie ghosts and zombie were-people, then.

I jest, though I fully expect zombie to be a fairly wide umbrella as the last episode already suggested.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

I think it's a good thing. The show has a tight formula that would only be muddied by the introduction of ghosts and wolfmen to distract from the well-plotted crime procedural and interesting personal drama at its core.

LostRook
Jun 7, 2013
The serial elements suggest Blaine as a seasonal or series big bad with a central mystery and zombie warfare down the line, so I imagine that will be more than enough to distract from the well-plotted crime procedural and interesting personal drama at its core.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

That's the obvious ongoing plot, and it certainly doesn't feature any wolfmen. No need to be snarky.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Yes, I'd rather they not include all those other things as well. The setup they have no is enough.

LostRook
Jun 7, 2013
I definitely agree, as it is the concept should be able to make a good four or five seasons. I just worry since new supernatural creatures are essentially the genre show version of "When in doubt, have a man come through a door with a gun in his hand."

Generally I trust Rob Thomas, but Veronica Mars definitely had series wear from the first to second season.

Pinky Artichoke
Apr 10, 2011

Dinner has blossomed.

Tupping Liberty posted:

I think one of the best parts about this show is that it's a zombie show that I can watch by myself, in the dark (although I got a bit squeamy when they found Liv's friend/rival who invited her to the party).

Do you guys think that David Ander's character was a zombie before the boat party, and Liv throwing her drink in his face caused him to go full zombie mode against his will, or do you think that was his turning point?

I don't think he was a zombie prior to the party, just given that his appearance was pretty human in the flashbacks.

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005
Hey....Hey thread.

Maybe next week....

She'll eat the brain of a Furry.

JD-Smith
Apr 30, 2009

YOU WILL OBEY.
I'm loving iZombie too. I was pleasantly surprised when I decided to check it out. I've never seen Veronica Mars though but I really like quirky detective type shows. So should I check it out?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

I guess one concern is that the research into Liv's zombieness takes up a fairly significant chunk of each episode right now, so once that's through they're going to need something else to fill that space.

JD-Smith posted:

I'm loving iZombie too. I was pleasantly surprised when I decided to check it out. I've never seen Veronica Mars though but I really like quirky detective type shows. So should I check it out?

Yes you should.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed

JD-Smith posted:

When i first heard about Veronica Mars, i thought that a show about a teen detective sounded like the lamest idea ever, it wasn't until Joss Whedon called it the best show on tv, that i finally decided to give it a shot. I fell in love with it instantly, Veronica Mars is Such a great show, you should really see it.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
I wonder how their numbers will be this week since they won't have the crowd of people who don't change the channel after watching Flash (This is why I started watching it)

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax
Finally, a tv show where an accused murderer has the good sense to hire a lawyer!

*lawyer sits complacently while client confesses to murder*

Son of a bitch.

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

Irish Joe posted:

Finally, a tv show where an accused murderer has the good sense to hire a lawyer!

*lawyer sits complacently while client confesses to murder*

Son of a bitch.

"Get up and walk out."
*Sits there stoically as client signs a confession for multiple murders with a 60 year sentence*
That'll be 20 thousand dollars.

JD-Smith
Apr 30, 2009

YOU WILL OBEY.
Thanks guys, I'll give VM a chance.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

VendaGoat posted:

"Get up and walk out."
*Sits there stoically as client signs a confession for multiple murders with a 60 year sentence*
That'll be 20 thousand dollars.

Not that it mattered since they had him dead to rights on a hit-and-run vehicular manslaughter anyway. I don't care how magic his lawyer was, he's not walking out of jail on that one.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Oasx posted:

When i first heard about Veronica Mars, i thought that a show about a teen detective sounded like the lamest idea ever, it wasn't until Joss Whedon called it the best show on tv, that i finally decided to give it a shot. I fell in love with it instantly, Veronica Mars is Such a great show, you should really see it.

Just take a look at all the terrible romantic comedy garbage Kristen Bell has done since.

She still has all this good will with people though. That's how good Veronica Mars was. She would be Katherine Heigl without it.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Random Stranger posted:

Not that it mattered since they had him dead to rights on a hit-and-run vehicular manslaughter anyway. I don't care how magic his lawyer was, he's not walking out of jail on that one.

Something something rich people something something. After "Affluenza" succeeded as an affirmative defense I have no hope for anyone at that wealth level to be held accountable for anything

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Oasx posted:

Joss Whedon called it the best show on tv

Don't let that put you off though, it's actually good.

Combed Thunderclap
Jan 4, 2011

Tonight's comic book cover:

Turns out paranoia isn't the most fun character trait to watch, although the ability to instantly give your character kung fu skills for an episode must certainly be enjoyable for the writers.

LostRook
Jun 7, 2013
Yeah, Blaine building the Z-Mafia was easily the most interesting part of the episode.

Tom Clancy is Dead
Jul 13, 2011

Yup, though it's definitely more Z-Cartel than mafia.

Also, TV shows should never talk about video games. Ever. This may be one of the best I've seen and it was still bad.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

JD-Smith posted:

Thanks guys, I'll give VM a chance.

Veronica Mars is brilliant show. I converted more than a few friends.
Kristen Bell should be President of the world. :allears:

Soylentbits
Apr 2, 2007

im worried that theyre setting her up to be jotaros future wife or something.

Random Stranger posted:

The lawyer shouldn't have let his client talk to the police at all. That's bad lawyering. And it's a bad thing to coerce a person to sign a confession by telling them they have evidence that that really don't have. That's generally how we get false confessions.

thrakkorzog
Nov 16, 2007

Soylentbits posted:

The lawyer shouldn't have let his client talk to the police at all. That's bad lawyering. And it's a bad thing to coerce a person to sign a confession by telling them they have evidence that that really don't have. That's generally how we get false confessions.

To be fair, the guy blatantly ignored his lawyers advice to keep his mouth shut and was a bit of a sociopath, who thought that he was above the law. The lawyer gave sound legal advice. It's not the lawyer's fault that his client ignored it.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

LostRook posted:

Yeah, Blaine building the Z-Mafia was easily the most interesting part of the episode.

David Anders is the best.

Etalommi posted:

Also, TV shows should never talk about video games. Ever. This may be one of the best I've seen and it was still bad.

Major wasn't even at the level cap. What a casual noob.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
I still don't love the idea of Liv taking on the personality and abilities of the people she eats, but other than that i am enjoying the show, having the long term story continue every week really helps.

Aphrodite posted:

Just take a look at all the terrible romantic comedy garbage Kristen Bell has done since.

She still has all this good will with people though. That's how good Veronica Mars was. She would be Katherine Heigl without it.

People love her because from she is an allround awesome person, and just seems super nice and cool. she could easily have moved on from Veronica Mars, but she is as big a fan as anyone.

Soylentbits
Apr 2, 2007

im worried that theyre setting her up to be jotaros future wife or something.

thrakkorzog posted:

To be fair, the guy blatantly ignored his lawyers advice to keep his mouth shut and was a bit of a sociopath, who thought that he was above the law. The lawyer gave sound legal advice. It's not the lawyer's fault that his client ignored it.

I should have been clearer. The guy should not have been there at all. Once he's called his lawyer then the police are only supposed to speak to the attorney. That's really only a tv lawyer thing.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.
iZombie held up OK without The Flash and pulled another 0.7. TV By The Numbers still rates it as "likely to be renewed."

Tom Clancy is Dead
Jul 13, 2011

I hope so. I can't help but feel that it's yet to really hit it's stride. The pilot was significantly more polished than the rest of the episodes, and that's pretty common at the start of a show.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Major wasn't even at the level cap. What a casual noob.

Yeah man, the latest tuning has made that so trivial. Also Windforces aren't rare and the defining feature is not the BAS. Though the fact that they got the BAS right is somewhat redeeming in light of other shows trying to talk about attacking using the "Berserker Stance" ability. Someone knew enough to look up a legendary but not how to read it.

Tom Clancy is Dead fucked around with this message at 05:56 on Apr 9, 2015

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.
Maybe they wrote the episode before loot 2.0 :shrug: probably not but who cares really, at least it sounded right and not cringeworthy

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:
I just watched the third episode and I was cringing the entire time they were dealing with Marcy, just waiting for Liv to go "If I ever end up like that, I want you to kill me."

I'm glad they didn't go there.

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

Sober posted:

Maybe they wrote the episode before loot 2.0 :shrug: probably not but who cares really, at least it sounded right and not cringeworthy

Still I'd love it if they actually said poo poo like "I got an ancient incense torch the other night on my monk, you should see the fire build I'm rocking now! Billion+ crits!" - it'd still sound unintelligible to anyone not familiar with ARPGs or games in general but it already does anyway and at least this way it would be a cool little reference to us basement nerds instead of just generic "my wizard is level 70".
:goonsay:

Anyway, I think the show is ripe now for a change in status quo. The detective or her brother/sister/fiancée need to find out about her to change the dynamic up a little since the premise has been established and the show is now settled in. Don't let it start to stagnate or stall for too long like so many do in their first season. Is this a ~12 or a 20+episode season show?

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Four episodes in? I dunno, if they are going for more of an old-school procedural feel to the show, they could easily go a whole season solving various crimes that reflect back to Liv's personal problems while Zombie mafia and ex-fiance get a story beat or two each week.

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

That feels like yesteryear's style of TV now, especially on the CW which is known for fast-moving shows.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

I mentioned that because Rob Thomas has basically said that's he wanted to do.

"We really needed a story engine. We wanted to do a case-of-the-week show. In the comic book, the main character is a gravedigger and that’s how she gets her brains. By making her an assistant medical examiner and putting her in the morgue, it gave us our case of the week that we wanted."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

I've also read they've said the show will get more serialised as the season progresses which leads me to believe they're going for the X-files/PoI model. I just think where we're at now is a good time to perhaps have our first 2-3 episode mini-arc that results in some more mythology being established and some permanent changes to the status quo. PoI is a great show but that first season takes way too long to get going so I'm just hoping these guys refine the formula a bit and trim some of the potential filler eps.

• Locked thread