Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice

Panzeh posted:

So the Jewish religion is also an ethnicity?

Yall love playing it both ways when it suits you.

I am ethnically Jewish. This must be a shock to you but some religions have close-knit communities that begin to blur the line between religion and culture.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

TheImmigrant posted:

Many, probably most, West Bank settlers are best likened to suburbanites looking for cheap(er) housing than they could afford in Israel proper. A large number of them live in what are now suburbs of Jerusalem, and not likely going anywhere. (I see the suburbs being annexed to Israel eventually, hopefully with an exchange of equally-productive land from Israel proper to the Palestinians.)

Some settlers are hardline ideologues - those people are the problem.
I think the government continuining to build settlements is the actual problem

Like if someone kicks you off your land and bulldozes your home do you give a poo poo about whether the person who moves in was super into stealing your land?

Ultramega
Jul 9, 2004

Yeah, the fact that they are building settlements period is a problem. It's just a slow progression to annexation. Maybe if there weren't so many parties in israel proper who weren't diverting funds from civil projects in order to incentivize both hardliners and just people trying to find affordable housing there wouldn't be so many people signing up. Also doesn't help when settlers carry out pricetag attacks and literally the only people who hear palestinian's grievances are the soldiers doing their tours in the occupied territories.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Irony Be My Shield posted:

I think the government continuining to build settlements is the actual problem

Like if someone kicks you off your land and bulldozes your home do you give a poo poo about whether the person who moves in was super into stealing your land?

Eminent domain. Would you prefer that those individuals receive higher rates of compensation? It is unacceptable to shoot at, to carry out acts of violence against, someone who has lawfully purchased land for development or who has lawfully rented land on redeveloped land.

Perhaps the answer is for Palestinians to construct settlements and rent them out to Jews. Have any Palestinians tried that, renting out apartments to Jewish inhabitants?

TheImmigrant
Jan 18, 2011

My Imaginary GF posted:

Eminent domain. Would you prefer that those individuals receive higher rates of compensation? It is unacceptable to shoot at, to carry out acts of violence against, someone who has lawfully purchased land for development or who has lawfully rented land on redeveloped land.

Perhaps the answer is for Palestinians to construct settlements and rent them out to Jews. Have any Palestinians tried that, renting out apartments to Jewish inhabitants?

I think that's illegal in the Palestinian Authority, renting to Jews.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

TheImmigrant posted:

Germany gave citizenship to thousands of ethnic Germans from Russia and Romania, most of whose families hadn't been to Germany in generations. Ireland grants citizenship to anyone with a single grandparent who was born in Ireland, regardless of any actual connection to Ireland. Italy and Spain and Portugal and Poland have similar jus sanguinis principles of citizenship, as do countries like Japan and Norway.

Israel is not at all unusual in its law of nationality.

How many of those countries exclude part of Germans, or part of Spanish, etc? Jews are not the only native people to Israel, which renders this excuse moot. Multi-ethnic immigrant countries don't have just sanguinis ethnic immigration laws, hence when it happens with places like South Africa, Australia...or Israel, its apartheid. When a random Russian Jew has greater immigration rights then an Arab refugee who was actually born in Israel and can trace their descent back to several millennia, you can't hand-wave that by naming countries with single dominant ethnicity that also accepts several other ethnicities under their umbrella. I could get to Germany and become a German citizen, and a German national. There is no Israeli nationality because Israel is an apartheid state which by its own laws reserves nationality only for Jews. Arab Israelis are poo poo out of luck :shrug:

DarkCrawler fucked around with this message at 22:57 on Apr 7, 2015

Flip Yr Wig
Feb 21, 2007

Oh please do go on
Fun Shoe

My Imaginary GF posted:

So actually living on and working the land simply isn't an option for Palestinians?

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

TheImmigrant posted:

I think that's illegal in the Palestinian Authority, renting to Jews.

Renting what? According to Israel Palestinians don't own the land.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

My Imaginary GF posted:

I would prefer that Israel stops demolishing homes in occupied territory for the purposes of illegally placing their civilians on that land

Lum_
Jun 5, 2006

My Imaginary GF posted:

So, by your logic, it is entirely legal for Palestinian residents to shoot at or carry out acts of violence against the residents of wildcat outposts like, say, Migron, which was illegal even under Israeli law, because the settlers blatantly ignored the minor fact that they were seizing Palestinian privately-owned land.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Migron,_Mateh_Binyamin

But your "logic" fails simply because the West Bank isn't Israeli territory under either international law or Israeli law and thus Israel has no legal right to expropriate any of it. (Helpful hint: this is where you switch from legalistic trolling to might-makes-right ethnic cleansing advocacy trolling.)

Lum_ fucked around with this message at 23:38 on Apr 7, 2015

Kim Jong Il
Aug 16, 2003

TheImmigrant posted:

It's actually a few ethnicities, but there is without question an ethnic component to Jewish identity. A person named Mandelstam who was deported from Warsaw in 1943 was definitely not an ethnic Pole. Someone with the surname Dahan who left Casablanca in the 1960s was definitely not ethnically Arab or Berber. An atheist resident of Tel Aviv with the name Cohen is not an Arab or a Phoenician or an Assyrian.

Depends what you mean by ethnicity - culture or genetics. Mandelstam probably shares his X chromosome with his Polish neighbors, because conversion and intermarriage used to be a lot more commonplace. That's what's so ironic about everyone who's obsessed with the idiotic Khazar nonsense. They could very easily make a similar argument that wasn't fictitious and racist.

Oh yeah, Ariel Sharon's mother was a subbotnik! The idea that Haredim, and especially Hasidim, are practicing "authentic" anything is a load of complete horse poo poo; especially when their own holy books say that ancient Jews for the most part were pretty keen to worship Baal and Zeus and that sort of thing. But until there's a Grand Coalition in Israel to tell the Haredim to get hosed and appoint a sane person to head the Rabbinate, their disgusting conversion standards and lack of civil marriage will remain in place.

Kim Jong Il fucked around with this message at 00:59 on Apr 8, 2015

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

My Imaginary GF posted:

Oh the answer is clearly along those lines, but it won't happen for another few decades because of politics. But yeah, eventually people will figure out that Palestinians need money and resettlement, while Israelis have lots of money but need land and security, and money will swap hands en masse and the problem will be solved. Kids in the 22nd Century will look back at the Israeli/Palestine conflict and be like, "Why didn't they just do that at the beginning rather than fight for 150 years? Couldn't they see that those ridiculous borders would never work?" And their teachers will just say, "Well they tried, but the world was very violent in the 20th and 21st century and there wasn't much public interest in peaceful solutions to conflict."

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

DarkCrawler posted:

How many of those countries exclude part of Germans, or part of Spanish, etc? Jews are not the only native people to Israel, which renders this excuse moot. Multi-ethnic immigrant countries don't have just sanguinis ethnic immigration laws, hence when it happens with places like South Africa, Australia...or Israel, its apartheid. When a random Russian Jew has greater immigration rights then an Arab refugee who was actually born in Israel and can trace their descent back to several millennia, you can't hand-wave that by naming countries with single dominant ethnicity that also accepts several other ethnicities under their umbrella. I could get to Germany and become a German citizen, and a German national. There is no Israeli nationality because Israel is an apartheid state which by its own laws reserves nationality only for Jews. Arab Israelis are poo poo out of luck :shrug:

Jus sanguinis only applies to citizens, not ethnicities. Somali immigrants to Ireland that gain Irish citizenship have equal participation in the jus sanguinis law. So it doesn't apply for completely different reasons.

Ultramega
Jul 9, 2004

Kaal posted:

Oh the answer is clearly along those lines, but it won't happen for another few decades because of politics. But yeah, eventually people will figure out that Palestinians need money and resettlement, while Israelis have lots of money but need land and security, and money will swap hands en masse and the problem will be solved. Kids in the 22nd Century will look back at the Israeli/Palestine conflict and be like, "Why didn't they just do that at the beginning rather than fight for 150 years? Couldn't they see that those ridiculous borders would never work?" And their teachers will just say, "Well they tried, but the world was very violent in the 20th and 21st century and there wasn't much public interest in peaceful solutions to conflict."

How do you expect the PA/Hamas/whatever organization is nominally in charge of the occupied territories to construct these apartments to rent out to jews when they can't manage to rebuild a single home that was destroyed during Protective Edge?

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.
There's no indication that at any point Israel will be interested in paying for land rather than taking it through force. I'm not saying they never will, but the current trends don't point towards it.

Elysiume fucked around with this message at 06:25 on Apr 8, 2015

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Lum_ posted:

So, by your logic, it is entirely legal for Palestinian residents to shoot at or carry out acts of violence against the residents of wildcat outposts like, say, Migron, which was illegal even under Israeli law, because the settlers blatantly ignored the minor fact that they were seizing Palestinian privately-owned land.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Migron,_Mateh_Binyamin

But your "logic" fails simply because the West Bank isn't Israeli territory under either international law or Israeli law and thus Israel has no legal right to expropriate any of it. (Helpful hint: this is where you switch from legalistic trolling to might-makes-right ethnic cleansing advocacy trolling.)

It is crime for an individual to attack another.

Now, if it was a lawful Palestinian militia attacking Israeli housing, that's different. That's a state-sponsored act, one which would rightfully entail a state response from Israel.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Kaal posted:

What about the Palestinians who want land and security? Why do they instead "need resettlement"? Are you suggesting it's because they're part of this "violent world" and don't have "interest in peaceful solutions to conflicts"?

Could your whole statement be boiled down to the Palestinians ought to let themselves be bought out already and their unwillingness to do so is tantamount to violence? Because that solution is only "peaceful" in the sense that if the Palestinians as a whole could somehow be forced to accept those terms and sulk off in defeat it would be a nonviolent end to the situation (although it's laughable to imagine that going so smoothly). Usually when people think of peace it has a little more to do with compromise and coexistence, not vanquishing.

Heavy neutrino
Sep 16, 2007

You made a fine post for yourself. ...For a casualry, I suppose.
Why would Israel bother to pay for any parcel of land when it can just send in a brigade to "confiscate" it?

The Insect Court
Nov 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

DarkCrawler posted:

Multi-ethnic immigrant countries don't have just sanguinis ethnic immigration laws

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jus_sanguinis

Come on D.C, step it up buddy. When the time it takes to demolish the central factual claim of your post is dictated mainly by how fast Wikipedia's servers are at the moment, it's embarrassing. I'm embarrassed for you. Reading yours posts is getting to be like an exercise in Larry David-esque cringe comedy.

And that's without pointing out the fact that "an Arab refugee who was actually born in Israel" cannot trace his descent back to Israel over "several millennia"(hint: look up the words several, millennia, and Arab) and that you probably should not be arguing that those who can trace their ancestry back several millennia to the area of modern-day Israel derive a claim to ownership of the land from that.

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

You look like you're still raking it in. Still killing 'em?

The Insect Court posted:

And that's without pointing out the fact that "an Arab refugee who was actually born in Israel" cannot trace his descent back to Israel over "several millennia"(hint: look up the words several, millennia, and Arab) and that you probably should not be arguing that those who can trace their ancestry back several millennia to the area of modern-day Israel derive a claim to ownership of the land from that.

You do realise that the Palestinian population has been there for thousands of years too, right? I know that whole 'b-b-b-b- they speak Arabic' thing is complicated but it must may be that the Arabic speaking population of Palestine converted when Palestine was invaded by Muslims. In any event, most legal definitions of time immemorial would readily embrace the duration of the Palestinians provable stay, and that is not withstanding Palestinian claims by way of praescriptio to the land given Israeli abandonment.

Arguing that Palestinians do not have at least a good historic claim as the Israelis is ridiculous.

Disinterested fucked around with this message at 10:28 on Apr 8, 2015

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

I'm going to go claim my Democratic Republic of the Congo citizenship; my bloodline traces back tens of thousands of years.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

The Insect Court posted:

And that's without pointing out the fact that "an Arab refugee who was actually born in Israel" cannot trace his descent back to Israel over "several millennia"(hint: look up the words several, millennia, and Arab)

Arabs have not existed for several millennia. They just sprang into existence shortly after World War 1. A good post, which says sensible things.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Hitlers Gay Secret posted:

I am ethnically Jewish. This must be a shock to you but some religions have close-knit communities that begin to blur the line between religion and culture.

So the Jewish State is more akin to the Afrikaner State than the Islamic State.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

The Insect Court posted:

Come on D.C, step it up buddy. When the time it takes to demolish the central factual claim of your post is dictated mainly by how fast Wikipedia's servers are at the moment, it's embarrassing. I'm embarrassed for you. Reading yours posts is getting to be like an exercise in Larry David-esque cringe comedy.

Why don't you point out an equivalent situation there instead of just posting a link and assuming it strenghtens your point when it does the opposite? Does India give all Marathas automatic citizenship over Gujaratis? Does a random German speaking Austrian or a Swiss whose ancestors lived in Germany 500 years ago earn an automatic citizenship? Do they reserve the nationality and unrestricted immigration to only one ethnic component of the native people?

The attempt by pro-Israelis do try and justify an ethnically based White Australia-equivalent immigration policy is frankly getting creepy. Apartheid is not justifiable just because it is committed by Jews.

There is literally no difference between "only Caucasians can immigrate here" and "only Jews can immigrate here" unless you are an unabashed Jewish supremacist. Like it or not, there are other native ethnicities in Israel who deserve equivalent rights.

DarkCrawler fucked around with this message at 11:11 on Apr 8, 2015

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

We have to keep out those disgusting Bedouins most of all! Bloody Arabs who have been here for 2000 years! :black101:

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel

Disinterested posted:

You do realise that the Palestinian population has been there for thousands of years too, right? I know that whole 'b-b-b-b- they speak Arabic' thing is complicated but it must may be that the Arabic speaking population of Palestine converted when Palestine was invaded by Muslims. In any event, most legal definitions of time immemorial would readily embrace the duration of the Palestinians provable stay, and that is not withstanding Palestinian claims by way of praescriptio to the land given Israeli abandonment.

Arguing that Palestinians do not have at least a good historic claim as the Israelis is ridiculous.

They both have historic claims, and the Jews and Arabs had a struggle over who would own the land, and the Jews won.

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

hakimashou posted:

They both have historic claims, and the Jews and Arabs had a struggle over who would own the land, and the Jews won.

I think we covered why this is both immoral and idiotic. I take this as an incitement for the local robber to shoot you and start squatting in your house as fair game.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

hakimashou posted:

And how is that relevant? Apartheid is still wrong and against international law, as is colonialism.

Fizzil
Aug 24, 2005

There are five fucks at the edge of a cliff...

So i know the rest of the world agreed on the 67 lines, but whats israel's stance on that? As unfeasible as it seems right now did they ever agree on it?

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax
In the lucid glow of daybreak, I squat and I poo poo on Ariel's grave. It's not an act of hate, but of love. A bond, a marriage, an act of cosmic unity: my inner dirt, the intimate earth of my body, worming its way out of me to mingle with the earth of Israel and with that of my husband, his own flesh by now long since dispersed into the soil. I am naked. The sparse dew gathers into pearls on my skin. Amidst the silvery grasses I poo poo and poo poo, every turd a masterpiece, an anal exclamation of lust. They pile up below me. Flies cluster and I smile benevolently at them with the mouth of my face and the secret lush-lipped mouth between my legs. I love them, these tiny citizens of this blood-soaked ancient land, these winged and buzzing Jews. I begin to dance. My cherry-red testicles gleam in the crisp morning as they bounce from side to side. My thighs undulate. My exhausted anus whispers psalms. As the sun rises, I stand atop the grave with my magnificent breasts saluting the sky and both my hands buried to the elbow in my famished womanhood. It will be a long time before I see Ariel again. I ache with longing; I need to be distracted, my restless heart put temporarily at ease by some small and insignificant trifle like your penis. I am hungry as I have never been before. It is time. Let us have sex.

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax
I have never been so naked. My cooch has never been so engorged, my buttocks so predatory, as I stalk my quarry through the endless wars of the desert. I am a sexual tiger. You are a goat. You will not survive our love; you will die a thousand deaths, and on the other side of every death you will find waiting for you a paradise without walls.

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax
Only Ariel can satisfy me. You are a teardrop in the ocean of my hunger. You are small. You are a germ. You are a grain of sand. You are an atom. In the scale of the universe inside my hot vagina, compared to my destined lover - that benevolent sun around whom the planets of my breasts will rotate in harmonic perpetuity - you are nothing at all; you don't even exist. Think of this as you ejaculate. Compared to him, you are nothing, and your mightiest boner is just the quantum fidgeting of an electron. Oh Arik, haunter of my dreams. Oh Arik, my love. My love. I want him to gently caress me in the rear end.

Lustful Man Hugs
Jul 18, 2010

:allears:

Avshalom's surprise interludes are the greatest thing.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

My Imaginary GF posted:

It is crime for an individual to attack another.

Now, if it was a lawful Palestinian militia attacking Israeli housing, that's different. That's a state-sponsored act, one which would rightfully entail a state response from Israel.

Attack? Response? Why are we even using such loaded terms? It's a crime to steal land and to build your house on stolen land. A crime which would normally be met by eviction by the police, and possibly fines or jail time. There is no need to speak in terms of violence at all, unless the illegal occupants resist using force of arms or arrange for armed groups to resist on their behalf, in which case the Palestinian authorities would be justified in using military force to enforce the law.

Many of the smaller settlements are illegal even by Israeli standards, being built on land that even Israeli records indicate belongs to private Palestinian owners, though that doesn't stop Israel from supporting them.

http://www.foxnews.com/printer_friendly_wires/2008Dec18/0,4675,MLIsraelDealorDeception,00.html

quote:

The transformation of a piece of West Bank land from a Palestinian field into a Jewish settlement has roots in an unlikely place _ Orange County, Calif. _ and in a document that a man supposedly signed more than four decades after the date of his death.

Unfolding from the West Bank's terraced olive groves to a strip mall in a Los Angeles suburb, the story of this posthumous deal offers a rare glimpse into the underworld of straw companies and middlemen through which chunks of land move from Palestinian to Israeli hands. Each transaction further complicates an Israeli withdrawal that would be key to any peace agreement.

The land now houses a thriving Jewish settlement, another of the "facts on the ground" that strengthen Israel's grip on the West Bank and outrage the Palestinians. Such property deals are driven by the settlers' belief the land is their God-given right; the cooperation of Israel's governments, even those that have talked peace; and cash from wealthy donors, many of them American Jews.

In this case, a 2004 document shows a Palestinian farmer named Abdel Latif Sumarin sold a plot long tended by his family near the village of Burqa, east of the city of Ramallah, to a company with an Arabic name. The paper contains Sumarin's signature in clear English script and that of a California notary.

But an Associated Press investigation that made use of court papers, public records and interviews in the West Bank, Israel and the U.S., shows that the document is a poorly executed forgery.

There's no evidence Sumarin ever visited America, his family says he couldn't write English, and public records show he died in 1961. The notary in California says he did not sign the paper either.

The land now houses part of Migron, one of the some 100 unauthorized outposts established by settlers in the West Bank over the past decade. The six acres (2.5 hectares) of rocky soil are caught up in two court cases in Israel and investigations by Israeli police and, it appears, the FBI.

Sumarin's grandson, Abdel Munam Sumarin, can see the trailers and utility poles of Migron from his living room in Burqa. As one of his grandfather's heirs, he has appealed to Israel's Supreme Court to get the land back; other Palestinians who say they own plots occupied by the settlement have joined the suit.

"The connection between us and our land is like religion. It's our family. It's not about money _ you can't state its worth in money. Money goes, but the land remains," said Sumarin, 51, a preacher at a mosque in a neighboring village.

Beginning next to a hilltop cell phone antenna in 2001, Migron is home to 45 young families. It was never officially approved by Israel's government, but the government nonetheless provided security, an access road, and infrastructure for electricity and water.

Anyone who examines the Israeli military's West Bank land records can find the owner of Parcel 26, Lot 23: Abdel Latif Sumarin of Burqa, his name still listed on documents long after he died and bequeathed the land to his children.

The settlers say they purchased the land in 2004, after they had already effectively seized it. They cite a document bearing Sumarin's name and the stamp and signature of notary public D.K. Shah, who runs the Postal Annex, an office-services business in a strip mall in the Los Angeles suburb of Tustin, about 7,600 miles from the West Bank.

Documents signed in strange places _ and crooked deals _ are not unusual in the lucrative and clandestine trade in Palestinian-owned land. Another recent challenge to a settler land deal in the town of Hebron involved forged documents, and a third revolved around Israeli businessmen who set up a notary with a prostitute, filmed their encounter, and then blackmailed the man into signing a sales document in Cyprus.

http://www.haaretz.com/news/diplomacy-defense/.premium-1.552422

quote:

Large-scale fraud halts land deals in West Bank settlement of Beit El

The World Zionist Organization’s Settlement Division has decided to halt land transactions in the Beit El Aleph neighborhood of the West Bank settlement of Beit El, following the discovery that documents had allegedly been forged for years to cover up the fact that some 250 structures there had been built illegally.

The division, which works to settle the West Bank as well as Israel proper, decided not to contact the police about the matter, but instead alerted the head of the Beit El local council, asking that he address the problem.

Following years of legal complications, the WZO Settlement Division began conducting a comprehensive examination at the start of this year of all of the lands registered in Beit El Aleph. The inquiry revealed that the registration was fraudulent on roughly 250 homes in Beit El, some of them old houses, some recently built. Consequently, the Settlement Division ordered the head of its central district, Yuval Funk, to stop the WZO’s transfer of property rights in the neighborhood until the matter could be settled.

The alleged forgeries of WZO Settlement Division documents were discovered as a result of the evacuation of Beit El’s Ulpana neighborhood in the summer of last year. The evacuation was ordered after it was shown that 14 buildings in the neighborhood were constructed on land owned by individual Palestinians, beyond the boundaries of the settlement.

Following a 2008 petition by some of the Palestinian landowners to the High Court of Justice, five residential buildings in the Ulpana neighborhood, containing a total of 30 apartments, were demolished. The fate of the remaining buildings on Palestinian-owned land is still pending in court.

The buildings were developed by the Company for the Development of Beit El's Yeshiva Complex. The firm's CEO, Yoel Tzur, has ties with officials associated with the Beit El yeshiva, including former Knesset member Yaakov Katz.

Of the 30 apartments that were torn down, 27 had been occupied by rental tenants. Only three had been sold to residents of the buildings.

It was in the course of efforts to head off the demolition that the owners of those three apartments became convinced they had been the victims of fraud on the part of the yeshiva. Two of the three families settled their claims for a cash payment of more than NIS 1 million, but the third, Guy Sagiv, refused to settle.

Digging through documents

Sagiv studied at the Beit El yeshiva for four years. In a letter he distributed to the residents of the settlement, he wrote that he saw a notice at the yeshiva advertising the sale of the apartments. In 2008, he met with yeshiva representatives, who told him that there was a problem with the land, and that a demolition order was issued for the construction project. In July of that year, an agreement was signed by the two sides.

According to the contract obtained by Haaretz, it was written: “Whereas the Settlement Division holds lands recognized as part of the Ulpana Hill neighborhood of Beit El, according to the agreement made between it and the administration for abandoned government property in the West Bank, and as the new resident has declared that he has received, or is about to receive, authoritative rights over the portion of the land labeled lot 373 by the zoning scheme, to build a residence, labeled apartment number 2, and recorded in the Zionist Organization’s records as number 373/2.”

None of the settlers’ ownership rights are recorded in the Civil Administration’s land registry. The land is handled by the Civil Administration, which transfers ownership to the World Zionist Organization, which then passes them along to settlement organizations like Amana. Instead of an official land registration document, each apartment owner is issued a “authorization certificate” by the World Zionist Organization, which lists the number of the plot on which their apartment is located. This document can be used to obtain a mortgage and to prove legal ownership. As such, in August 2008, Sagiv signed a contract with the Settlement Division, which granted him apartment number 2 on plot 373, according to plan 218.

After the buildings were demolished, Sagiv began to investigate how the home he purchased, legally built on state land, was actually built on stolen land. He was surprised when he looked into the World Zionist Organization’s records. The plot in question, number 373, was not located in the Ulpana neighborhood, according to the records. Rather, it was located in a different part of Beit El, called the Maoz Tzur neighborhood, which was built after the 1996 murders of Ita and Ephraim Tzur. The widower and bereaved father, Yoel Tzur, is one of Beit El’s well-known land dealers. In response to the murders, Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu, then in his first term, authorized the development of the neighborhood. Documents obtained by Haaretz show that lot number 373 and plan 218 are located in the Maoz Tzur neighborhood.

In Decmber 2012, Yuval Funk, head of the WZO Settlement Division’s central Israel department, sent a letter to Sagiv, in which he wrote: “It was made clear to you that the World Zionist Organization (henceforth – the settling body) did not receive nor record property rights for the Ulpana neighborhood. It was made clear to you that the settling body does not deal with construction permits, and did not submit requests for such permits regarding the Ulpana neighborhood. The settling body does not grant permits for transferring ownership rights in the Ulpana neighborhood.”

Beit El is not alone

This practice - the use of legal plot numbers to disguise illegal construction - has been seen in other settlements as well, but not on such a large scale. Following the High Court of Justice order handed down in 2008 to demolish nine houses in Efrat, it was revealed that there, as well, contracts had been signed that listed lands supposedly owned by the WZO.

Despite the fact that the method was exposed, the WZO decided not to report the practice to the police. At the same time, yeshiva officials are concerned over where the matter could lead. Last January, the yeshiva went to court with a request that it determine the maximum amount of reparations that could be paid to the Palestinian families who owned the land. Also, the court was asked to “prohibit them from turning to any organization, including government authorities, with requests for reparations, as paying such reparations would have ramifications on the continued development of the settlement of Beit El.”

The court was also asked to “prohibit them [the families] from tarnishing the name of the yeshiva, by approaching government authorities with any kind of request.”

The issue lies at the heart of the fierce election campaigns currently going on in Beit El, where four candidates are competing, two of whom are from the yeshiva. The candidates include Rabbi Hanoch Hacohen Pyotrekovsky, one of the yeshiva leaders, as well as attorney Ehud Yelink, who signed the contract with Sagiv. Yelink has since accused Sagiv of simply chasing after money.

The issue of land registry has come up frequently at campaign events. One Beit El resident said that according to an appraiser, the value of his home dropped 40 percent because of the registration issues. In a letter to Beit El residents, Yelink stated that the yeshiva has never shirked its intention to compensate the residents, and that the only issue has been the amount. In his letter, Yelink wrote: “It is your right to fight for each and every shekel, but please, do not turn an argument over money into some kind of argument over principle.”

The WZO’s Settlement Division did not provide a response to Haaretz.

Pyotrekovsky told Haaretz he is engaging in dialogue with those who purchased the homes directly.

Yoel Tzur refused to comment.

President Kucinich
Feb 21, 2003

Bitterly Clinging to my AK47 and Das Kapital

Beautiful.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Denial of Jew's claims of defining their own nation based on European norms such as jus sanguinis is p colonialist

Check your westphalian privilege

The Insect Court
Nov 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

DarkCrawler posted:

Why don't you point out an equivalent situation there instead of just posting a link

You're right, I'm sorry. I shouldn't have just posted a link because I mistakenly assumed you'd actually click on said link before squeezing out a new post. So here, some C&P from that article:

quote:

Armenia: Article 14 of the Constitution of the Republic of Armenia (1995) provides that "[i]ndividuals of Armenian origin shall acquire citizenship of the Republic of Armenia through a simplified procedure."[4]

Greece: Ethnic Greeks can obtain Greek citizenship by two methods under the Code of Greek Nationality.

Lithuania: The Constitution of Lithuania grants a right to citizenship to foreigners of ethnic Lithuanian origins

Rwanda: The Rwandan constitution provides that "[a]ll persons originating from Rwanda and their descendants shall, upon their request, be entitled to Rwandan nationality."

Turkey: Turkish law allows persons of Turkish origin and their spouse and children, to apply for naturalization without the five-year waiting period applicable to other immigrants.

South Korea: South Korean nationality law grants special status to some descendants of ethnic Koreans.

And that's without really trying very hard and just picking out the more blatant examples, because it wasn't necessary to expend much effort to demonstrate that you don't seem to know what you're talking about. What is it about Israel that cuts off the flow of blood to certain people's brains?

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

The Insect Court posted:

You're right, I'm sorry. I shouldn't have just posted a link because I mistakenly assumed you'd actually click on said link before squeezing out a new post. So here, some C&P from that article:

And that's without really trying very hard and just picking out the more blatant examples, because it wasn't necessary to expend much effort to demonstrate that you don't seem to know what you're talking about. What is it about Israel that cuts off the flow of blood to certain people's brains?

"Of Armenian origin", "South Korea", ethnic Greeks" "of Lithuanian origin?" are these multi-ethnic countries where most descend from immigrants? No? Not equivalent.

Turkey is basically an forced assimilation state regarding Kurds and they are allowed nationality. Different type of racist bullshit, but so not equivalent.

There is no such thing as a Rwandan ethnicity. The native ethnicities are equal under law and in immigration. Why would you put this here? Not equivalent.

Israel is a multi-ethnic country with several native ethnicities with immigrant origins for a lot of the population. It reserves the nationality and superior immigration rights for only a single ethnicity - Jew. There is nothing equivalent there and the fact that you keep pretending so is frankly bizarre.

Maybe you should hold back the insults until you find something to support your point instead of mine? Try harder.

DarkCrawler fucked around with this message at 09:26 on Apr 9, 2015

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

DarkCrawler posted:

"Of Armenian origin", "South Korea", ethnic Greeks" "of Lithuanian origin?" are these multi-ethnic countries where most descend from immigrants? No? Not equivalent.

Wait, so if you establish your state as mono-ethnic from the start, that makes it OK to discriminate in immigration policy?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Dead Reckoning posted:

Wait, so if you establish your state as mono-ethnic from the start, that makes it OK to discriminate in immigration policy?

Was that the topic of discussion? You don't get to claim a valid jus sanguinis policy if some natives are excluded from the policy and from the state's nationality law. It's simple as that. Belgium can't wake up tomorrow and say that only Flemish are Belgian nationals and natives and only Flemish can immigrate.

• Locked thread