Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
Lowbie invasions are hella fun, especially if you upgrade your weapons a bit.

I'm dying pretty regularly since I'm terrible and haven't played in forever mind, but still there are legit newbies who use soul arrow against invaders!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

There was a chest outside the King's door in the Forest of giants, anyone know what was in that chest? I uh, destroyed it.

El Pollo Blanco
Jun 12, 2013

by sebmojo

victrix posted:

There was a chest outside the King's door in the Forest of giants, anyone know what was in that chest? I uh, destroyed it.

Amber herb or something I think? Nothing important, anyway.

pyromance
Sep 25, 2006

El Pollo Blanco posted:

Isn't it a grand lance in sotfs?

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

pyromance posted:

Isn't it a grand lance in sotfs?

Grand Lance is on a body. The chest was nothing special iirc.

Orv
May 4, 2011

El Pollo Blanco posted:

It was, yeah.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Salamanders still have entirely too much health, I see. I wonder if they're going to put those somewhere relevant in sotfs.

Orv
May 4, 2011

dis astranagant posted:

Salamanders still have entirely too much health, I see. I wonder if they're going to put those somewhere relevant in sotfs.

I just finished Iron Keep tonight and that's the one place I'd think they'd be aside from maybe the IK DLC, so no dice yet.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?

dis astranagant posted:

If you hit their throats when they rise them to spew fire, they take twice the damage.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Same here. I'm thinking about diving in the DLC since I never got around to doing it.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Azran posted:

If you hit their throats when they rise them to spew fire, they take twice the damage.

That doesn't stop them from being ultrarotating supertracking bitchlizards, gently caress 'em.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Iron King DLC is feels a lot like the Tower of Latria so far. Except for the ambushes by packs of enemies that hit like runaway trains :stonk:

Bear Retrieval Unit
Nov 5, 2009

Mudslide Experiment
What's in the chest at the first spider temple (the one that has the red orb that triggers the spiders)? I shot the spider above it with a bow and the rear end in a top hat broke the chest when it fell.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
I'll ask again because no one replied last time: did they add the desert sorceress set to any of the vendors in SotFS, or make the sorceresses show up again later? Because they've cut them down from 4-5 to 2 in Earthen Peak, making farming the set way more annoying.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Bear Retrieval Unit posted:

What's in the chest at the first spider temple (the one that has the red orb that triggers the spiders)? I shot the spider above it with a bow and the rear end in a top hat broke the chest when it fell.

Unless they changed it, some number of Heavy Bolts.

Lemon Curdistan posted:

I'll ask again because no one replied last time: did they add the desert sorceress set to any of the vendors in SotFS, or make the sorceresses show up again later? Because they've cut them down from 4-5 to 2 in Earthen Peak, making farming the set way more annoying.

They didn't.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Wow that is a hell of a view after Aldia's Manor. The area design in this game is wildly inconsistent, it has beautiful places and then just utterly drab areas. It's unfortunate the forest/no mans/bastille are early zones, though Heide is pretty neat at least.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Orv posted:

They didn't.

RIP awesome raver armour. :(

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Starting off in things betwixt and everything seems normal, and then I saw the basilisks things from the first game and just went nope and proceeded to Majula.

The river troll in the forest of the fallen giants scared the poo poo outta me until I realized he wasn't actually moving to fight me. Dude just paces up and down that stream.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
Those hippo ogres sure do love water.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Once I have the +1/+2 versions of rings, its safe to sell off the others right?

Leyburn
Aug 31, 2001
Is there a big up to date lore dump that includes all the DLC that I can read? Preferably one with not too rampant speculation.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Leyburn posted:

Is there a big up to date lore dump that includes all the DLC that I can read? Preferably one with not too rampant speculation.

Oh yeah totally, h-

Leyburn posted:

Preferably one with not too rampant speculation.

Oh, no. No not at all.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Orv posted:

Oh yeah totally, h-

If you've got any other than vaativida's I'd love to still see them. I've already seen his take on them.

Anyway! Build questions, so I'm making an STR/DEX punchman and right now I've got 50/50/35 STR/DEX/ADP and was wondering if it's best to keep the STR and DEX at the soft cap or if I should work those as high as I can once I get some more endurance and health? I'm sitting at 1mil soul memory right now, with plans to get as close to 3mil as I can without going over.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Orv posted:

Oh yeah totally, h-

Oh, no. No not at all.

I legitimately punched out of the Dark Souls 'community' when the game started to blow up, I found the lore ramblings to be almost totally intolerable. It's ok to not fully understand a story. It's ok to have missing pieces.

People would seriously get angry at me when I was streaming for not wanting to hear spoilers about story stuff (or gameplay stuff, but that's 'normal').

Anyway. I just now discovered you can dual wield in DS2. I mean. Not just dual wield, but like, there's a whole new move set for them? :aaa:

drat game needs to come with a newbie pamphlet :cripes: I guess there are some disadvantages to playing totally in the dark :haw:

Willfrey
Jul 20, 2007

Why don't the poors simply buy more money?
Fun Shoe

victrix posted:

Once I have the +1/+2 versions of rings, its safe to sell off the others right?

pretty much yes. the only thing they have going for them is they weigh slightly less

sell em or do what I do, stash it in your box with all the other useless garbage and rock back and forth yammering about all your treasures

Willfrey fucked around with this message at 12:17 on Apr 8, 2015

Wurzag
Jun 3, 2007

Bad Moons, Bad Moons, wot ya gonna do?

Lemon Curdistan posted:

If anything its easier to farm their gear as a couple spawn just before the second bonfire in the previous area instead of the dark orb throwing giant things that were there previously

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

victrix posted:

I legitimately punched out of the Dark Souls 'community' when the game started to blow up, I found the lore ramblings to be almost totally intolerable. It's ok to not fully understand a story. It's ok to have missing pieces.

People would seriously get angry at me when I was streaming for not wanting to hear spoilers about story stuff (or gameplay stuff, but that's 'normal').

Anyway. I just now discovered you can dual wield in DS2. I mean. Not just dual wield, but like, there's a whole new move set for them? :aaa:

drat game needs to come with a newbie pamphlet :cripes: I guess there are some disadvantages to playing totally in the dark :haw:

What bothered me most about the lore side of the dark souls community, is that for the parts that weren't explained they always had to go for the lowest "edgiest" option. So many people immediately jumped to "Seath obviously raped Gwynevere" regarding Priscilla.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Wurzag posted:

If anything its easier to farm their gear as a couple spawn just before the second bonfire in the previous area instead of the dark orb throwing giant things that were there previously

Sadly, I've exhausted them too, and all I've gotten is four of the hoods.

Ah well, guess I'll have to ascetic or NG+ for it.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Lemon Curdistan posted:

Sadly, I've exhausted them too, and all I've gotten is four of the hoods.

Ah well, guess I'll have to ascetic or NG+ for it.

Company of Champions gives unlimited respawns while you're in the covenant.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

dis astranagant posted:

Company of Champions gives unlimited respawns while you're in the covenant.

Doesn't it perma-ascetic all areas, or is it just while you're in the covenant?

Also, how the gently caress are people still so bad at smelter demon? It's really not that hard a fight.

e; vv awesome, good to know. Thanks!

Lemon-Lime fucked around with this message at 13:04 on Apr 8, 2015

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Lemon Curdistan posted:

Doesn't it perma-ascetic all areas, or is it just while you're in the covenant?

Also, how the gently caress are people still so bad at smelter demon? It's really not that hard a fight.

It's not as strong as an ascetic and it goes away when you leave.

Orv
May 4, 2011

victrix posted:

What I mean by that is that anything more complex than just verbatim item descriptions is going to be tainted by some opinion or another. I totally agree that the most widely accepted theories tend to be grimdark lowest common denominator stuff, but they're also a good starting place for looking at all the available evidence and going from there on your own.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Orv posted:

What I mean by that is that anything more complex than just verbatim item descriptions is going to be tainted by some opinion or another. I totally agree that the most widely accepted theories tend to be grimdark lowest common denominator stuff, but they're also a good starting place for looking at all the available evidence and going from there on your own.

Pretty much. I don't mind reading up on the available in-game info after I've finished a clean run, or even some idle speculation on the nature of stuff, but conversation about My Lore tends to go off the deep end real loving fast. As soon as the word 'canon' shows up in conversation my eyes glaze over.

Besides, the nature of these games is that everyone's experience of them is going to be slightly different, based on what you see and read on your playthrough, coupled with your own interpretations and biases, and I think that's pretty cool.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Just curious: Should I ditch the shield strategy and aim for more dodging? I was using shields as a crutch in the first game and they're so much weaker in this one.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Golden Goat posted:

Just curious: Should I ditch the shield strategy and aim for more dodging? I was using shields as a crutch in the first game and they're so much weaker in this one.

Shields are usable in this but require more skill. Dodging is perfectly viable in nearly every situation, barely requires any stat investment (get ADP to 25) and lets you do stuff like powerstance or 2h, so you may as well start doing it.

Chuch
Jun 28, 2003

A very good doggo

Lemon Curdistan posted:

I was sunbroing at Smelter the other day and one host was trying to tank its attacks with the pancake shield. Not surprisingly, the fight didn't go well.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

I loving hate those fat hippo men. I'm pretty sure they've killed me more than any other single enemy in the game. Is it impossible to mash out of grabs?

They're fat and slow and easy but I get impatient and then they eat me :mad:

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

victrix posted:

I loving hate those fat hippo men. I'm pretty sure they've killed me more than any other single enemy in the game. Is it impossible to mash out of grabs?

Leave them alone, dude's just minding his own business playing in the river.

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009

victrix posted:

From my experience don't bother dodging them unless you have bellow 50% equip load. How far you can dodge is pretty important with them because they move foward a lot when they attack.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Chuch posted:

I was sunbroing at Smelter the other day and one host was trying to tank its attacks with the pancake shield. Not surprisingly, the fight didn't go well.

It's that or hosts running in to try to get a hit on it after its jump attack while at basically no HP. Or the dudes summoning three phantoms and then running into its attacks repeatedly instead of letting their small personal army handle the boss.