Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zipperelli.
Apr 3, 2011

Nap Ghost
This story seemed legit until the plane "broke out in cheers."

This is a public comment on a supposed picture of a man who left the plane before the family of a soldier who was deceased in the belly of the plane.

Edit: gently caress it, here's the original topic that the comment stemmed from:

Not sure if either story is true (it would seem the one with the pic is somewhat more legit), but they're both written like STDH

Zipperelli. has a new favorite as of 14:12 on Apr 8, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!
And even then, what the gently caress? Like, let the kid and mom off or whatever but people have connecting flights and poo poo. Their next plane doesn't care about something like this.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

EZipperelli posted:

Not sure if either story is true (it would seem the one with the pic is somewhat more legit), but they're both written like STDH

The pic would be less totally unconvincing if it was taken in the plane itself.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Tunicate posted:

The pic would be less totally unconvincing if it was taken in the plane itself.

what about the artifacting around the Impact Font, like don't most upload sites make sure that doesn't happen when you attatch the caption?

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
The first one goes out of their way to mention the man is Hispanic, and doesn't consider that maybe he doesn't speak English and just doesn't understand what is going on. :v:

I guess its possible the pilot gave instructions in both languages, but in my experience maybe the instructions for flight are given in two languages but the pilot's calls over the intercom were always just English.

Whatever, 'merica :911: didn't happen anyways.

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

It must suck living in a country that puts their armed forces on as much of a pedestal as the US does. Like Australians support out military but anyone going super jingoistic is going to get people just staring at them in confusion or irritation.

walrusman
Aug 4, 2006

That's the way it is in real life around here, anyway. Facebook is a cesspit of this type of thing.

Araenna
Dec 27, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
I'm disabled, and after sitting for so long, I generally would be kind of pissed if I was asked to sit longer for no real reason. Why the gently caress would the family have to get off first?

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Butt Detective
Mar 24, 2013

Only the dead can know peace from these hats.

I know this is STDH, but... wouldn't that be classed as assault? :confused:

Also "sibling brother"

Khazar-khum
Oct 22, 2008

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
2nd Battalion

Butt Detective posted:

Also "sibling brother"

And on a plane? yeah, that gets the Air marshal to draw his gun.

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

AUNT GWEN'S COLD SHAPE (!)

Butt Detective posted:

Also "sibling brother"

Hulk Hogan's narrating. It's their sibling, brother.

Zaphod42 posted:

The first one goes out of their way to mention the man is Hispanic, and doesn't consider that maybe he doesn't speak English and just doesn't understand what is going on. :v:

Lmao

Big Grunty Secret
Aug 28, 2007

Just one question, though. Is there a way to take off my pants?
Didn't some soldier post in the last STDH thread that when a plane carries military remains home, it's usually done without much fanfare? Maybe if the guy was Audie Murphy then everyone would have to remain seated, but I can't see it happening for everyone else.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Family travelling with deceased soldier sounds like they strapped him in a seat.

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

My Lovely Horse posted:

Family travelling with deceased soldier sounds like they strapped him in a seat.

They're up to some Weekend at Bernies shenanigans.

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
All I know is that when I'm dealing with personal tragedy, the one thing I want more than anything in the world is a literal announcement for everyone to stop and stare at me

Rose Spirit
Nov 4, 2010

:33 < APEX PURREDATOR
I was expecting that STHD to go the way of "the Hispanic guy WAS the Marine"... until I realized exactly who it was that would be posting this sort of story in the first place.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

And then Obama showed up and he gave me a job at the White House.

ibntumart
Mar 18, 2007

Good, bad. I'm the one with the power of Shu, Heru, Amon, Zehuti, Aton, and Mehen.
College Slice
And the lovely rich tipper? Mitt Romney.

Also Einstein was there, but he didn't want to be part of this STDH, so he slunk out before getting the milkshake he ordered.

Thrifting Day!
Nov 25, 2006

Araenna posted:

I'm disabled, and after sitting for so long, I generally would be kind of pissed if I was asked to sit longer for no real reason. Why the gently caress would the family have to get off first?

So that nobody mistakes her sons coffin for their luggage on the carousel

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

Zaphod42 posted:

I guess its possible the pilot gave instructions in both languages, but in my experience maybe the instructions for flight are given in two languages but the pilot's calls over the intercom were always just English.

Whatever, 'merica :911: didn't happen anyways.

You're overthinking it.
I got slapped by a Peruvian granny in the Lima airport (because it was crowded and she got smacked by the trek poles sticking out of my backpack). Being slapped by random old women in airports is part of the human experience.

Sierra Nevadan
Nov 1, 2010

-beaten

Sierra Nevadan has a new favorite as of 20:18 on Apr 8, 2015

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

No, only slapped.

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
What's great about the Marine story is that there's actually a strong military tradition in most Latino cultures.

Lowly
Aug 13, 2009

That's assuming the person was even Hispanic. I recently saw a bad review of a circus show that complained about the "Hispanics" running the show and that the person couldn't understand "their foreign language." The show was called "Cirque Italia" and "their foreign language" was actually English, with an Italian accent.

Khazar-khum
Oct 22, 2008

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
2nd Battalion

quote:

No ID, No Idea, Part 19
GAS STATION | ATLANTA, GA, USA | UNDERAGED
(A girl who looks about 16 asks for a pack of cigarettes. For future clarity, this took place on November 25, 2014.)

Me: “Can I please see your ID?”

Customer: “I come here all the time and I never need my ID!”

Me: “Okay, but I personally haven’t seen you here before, so I just need to check it today.”

Customer: “I don’t have it, though! I never have it!”

Me: “All right, can I at least have your date of birth?”

Customer:“Uh… January 12th… 1992.”

Me: “So you’re 23, then?”

Customer: “Yes!”

Me: “Then how come the birthday you gave me would make you 22?”

(She turned bright red and quickly left the store.)

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.
e: nvm

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?

Tbh I could totally make that mistake :v:

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
One of my old housemates thought he was the wrong age for an entire year. I'm pretty sure it was when he was in his late teens or early 20s.

Leon Einstein
Feb 6, 2012
I must win every thread in GBS. I don't care how much banal semantic quibbling and shitty posts it takes.
It is easy to forget your age after you hit the major milestones. Next milestone for me is drawing SS.

Trebek
Mar 7, 2002
College Slice
poo poo I still sometimes get confused about how old I am. I have to think about it for a second at least.

kdrudy
Sep 19, 2009

So were they going to sell the cigarettes if this person had answered their riddle of the Sphinx correctly?

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Trebek posted:

poo poo I still sometimes get confused about how old I am. I have to think about it for a second at least.

I turned 30 this year, that's the only reason I remember my age. I'll probably forget again after this year until someone tells me that I'm 40 at some point.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

One of my old housemates thought he was the wrong age for an entire year. I'm pretty sure it was when he was in his late teens or early 20s.

I pretty frequently forget my last birthday and think I'm one year younger than I am. I usually remember pretty quick but... yeah.

I'm not even all that old yet. :ohdear:

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

Zaphod42 posted:

I pretty frequently forget my last birthday and think I'm one year younger than I am. I usually remember pretty quick but... yeah.

They say the memory is the first to go.

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Don't be such a squid, bro

david... posted:

I have a friend who has long ginger curly hair and everyone says he looks like a lion, so he bought this t-shirt that had a lions face on it, we went to a zoo, lion lost it's loving mind and attacked the glass.

It's not because of the shirt. Many cultures have mythology about cats being partly supernatural creatures, able to detect the unseen and unnatural with ease. The ancient Egyptians conferred so much respect to felines that to kill one was to earn a death penalty. The lion detected one of the The Hated Soulless Ones, who walk among us disguised as humans, and moved to eliminate it. A pity that the glass prevented the Walking Ginger Abomination's demise.

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?

Zaphod42 posted:

Same.

Davoren
Aug 14, 2003

The devil you say!

One time I was signing up for a store reward card on my birthday, and after filling in the form I was a bit annoyed by the clerk asking me so many times if I was sure that was the right date. I think I know the day I was born dude! As I was walking out I suddenly realised that instead of my date of birth, I had filled in the date of that day. I never went back there.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Davoren posted:

One time I was signing up for a store reward card on my birthday, and after filling in the form I was a bit annoyed by the clerk asking me so many times if I was sure that was the right date. I think I know the day I was born dude! As I was walking out I suddenly realised that instead of my date of birth, I had filled in the date of that day. I never went back there.

Hahaha did he wish you a happy birthday as you left?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nolan Arenado
May 8, 2009

I could not possibly understand this less than I do.

• Locked thread