Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

Murodese posted:

no he's some rear end in a top hat that stole my paper and put himself as first author

It's okay bro, size doesn't matter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Orkin Mang posted:

are u nigel small

He's Nigel Huge if you know what I mean. ;)

Also regarding the death spiral of the utilities industry, maybe that's why there's such a big push for power and infrastructure privatisation, sell it all to chumps before it becomes worthless.

Dear Greens,

Please get elected, privatise the entire electricity industry and infrastructure, then immediately heavily subsidise batteries and solar panels for all Australian homes.

Murodese
Mar 6, 2007

Think you've got what it takes?
We're looking for fine Men & Women to help Protect the Australian Way of Life.

Become part of the Legend. Defence Jobs.

Matthew Beet posted:

It's okay bro, size doesn't matter.

A phrase most commonly used by those that wish it to be true :geno:

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

Murodese posted:

A phrase most commonly used by those that wish it to be true :geno:

Laaaaame

Murodese
Mar 6, 2007

It's okay Beet, I still love you even though you have a small penis

Graic Gabtar
Dec 19, 2014

squat my posts

Jumpingmanjim posted:

BOB Katter has rebuked the Queensland Government for assuming that embattled MP Billy Gordon would resign from parliament, saying Mr Gordon was not Labor's “little black puppet on a string”.

Katter is as Katter does.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
THE domestic violence bandwagon has been taken up with such gusto by the professionally virtuous that it is becoming meaningless.

The chattering classes have latched on to it as their feminist cause célèbre, with the dangers of knee-jerk reactions from authorities ensuring ­future miscarriages of justice.

Take Cape York Labor MP Billy Gordon. He denies ­allegations of domestic violence and, in our system of justice, we’re supposed to be innocent until proven guilty.

Instead, Gordon is being pressured to quit parliament on the strength of allegations from an ex-partner of 23 years, which only surfaced when he was elected. But he is guilty of being a man, so to hell with the presumption of innocence.

Thirty-year-old break-and-enter offences are dredged up to besmirch his character, sending the message to anyone trying to break out of the cycle of despair in indigenous communities that rehabilitation is never a prospect.

We’re told domestic violence is an “epidemic”, and statistics are cited that make virtually every man in Australia an incipient woman-basher.

Gordon and men like him are just collateral damage in a feminist campaign that’s more about grabbing power and public funding than it is about saving women from violent men.

And what about violent women? It’s a little known fact that more than one third of victims of domestic violence are male and they’re less likely to report the abuse. Of the 196 victims killed in 2010-12 by an offender with whom they shared a domestic relationship, 38 per cent were male according to the Australian Institute of Criminology.

In any case, domestic violence homicides have declined markedly in Australia to the lowest rate in 25 years. But we’re suddenly in crisis mode.

Bill Shorten has called for a royal commission into domestic violence and the new Victorian Labor government has vowed to hold one.
Tony Abbott has made it an urgent priority for the Council of Australian Governments this month and has appointed former Victorian Police Commissioner Ken Lay and the Australian of the Year Rosie Batty as founding members of an advisory panel on violence against women.

But it’s not as if the issue is not already being taken seriously. Domestic violence is the No.1 priority for every police patrol in NSW.

A trial of videotaping domestic violence victims at the scene when police show up is excepted to increase success of prosecutions and minimise what officers call the “Tammy Wynette” stand-by-your-man syndrome in which women ­recant allegations to preserve a relationship.

Police are frustrated when they are unable to prosecute violent perpetrators, but they are also realistic about the fact that as many as one-in-four domestic violence allegations that come before the Family Court are bogus, and can be used by women as a weapon.

The Gillard government fed this trend when it undermined the shared parenting reforms of the Howard era, and broadened the definition of domestic violence to include verbal or “financial abuse” and emotional manipulation.

This ensures that any allegation of abuse from a mother in a custody battle becomes grounds for denying a father access to his children.

Meantime, the actual epidemic of child abuse is ignored by comparison.

Take the so-called Pogo Stick case in which a malnourished seven-year-old boy was killed by his mother in Oatley, after a lifetime of horrendous abuse and neglect.

The court heard he was starved, beaten, and made to eat his own faeces. His undernourished body was covered in infected wounds and bruises and riddled with fractures.

Dozens of people reported the abuse before he died, ­including horrified campers at Bulli Beach, who saw the starving boy beaten and forced to run laps on the beach until he collapsed.

They saw him sobbing outside his tent in the freezing cold, wearing just a singlet and a towel, begging for water.

Yet this awful case struggled to make headlines last week when the mother pleaded guilty to manslaughter, having earlier claimed her son had fallen off a pogo stick.

That may be due, in part, to the misguided privacy laws in NSW which forbid the publication of photographs of dead children who are the subject of court matters. Without a name and a face to humanise a case, media outlets don’t have a story to tell, and compassionate strangers aren’t moved enough to campaign for change.

Around the country every day increasing numbers of children are tortured, abused, and neglected. They are trapped in a living hell to which they are returned over and over by authorities; ­ignored by a society afraid to create another Stolen Generation.

That’s an epidemic. That’s a crisis. And, unlike adult women in abusive ­relationships, the children have no choice.

Miranda Devine

Sulla Faex
May 14, 2010

No man ever did me so much good, or enemy so much harm, but I repaid him with ENDLESS SHITPOSTING

Jumpingmanjim posted:

THE domestic violence bandwagon

:confused: *scrolls to the bottom*

Jumpingmanjim posted:

Miranda Devine

captain we can't contain it anymore. our readings are off the charts. she's shitposting at over 131% efficiency. captain, you don't understand, that's mathematically impossible. the meter shouldn't even go up that high. if this is true - if she has really attained this level of bastardry - then the whole universe is doomed

CATTASTIC
Mar 31, 2010

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Well she certainly misrepresented a number of facts in that child's murder case to make whatever point she had :geno:

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

Look everybody I have to justify this internalised misogyny somehow and I'm going to do it by whining constantly about how pointing out that domestic violence against women is a thing makes you a child rape apologisdkfjghskdbdb:barf:

Sulla Faex
May 14, 2010

No man ever did me so much good, or enemy so much harm, but I repaid him with ENDLESS SHITPOSTING
You know what else achieves absolutely nothing but the direct fostering of violent child rape? Attempts to enforce the correct adherence to corporate tax obligations. Molesters and murders, each and every one of you.

Graic Gabtar
Dec 19, 2014

squat my posts

Jumpingmanjim posted:

THE domestic violence bandwagon has been taken up with such gusto by the professionally virtuous that it is becoming meaningless. Miranda Devine

Well. That's a confused mess of poo poo.

You could write a sensible article about all of those issues, or you could just gently caress them up all at once.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.

Graic Gabtar posted:

You could write a sensible article about all of those issues,

I could, yes. Miranda Devine? Nah.

Vladimir Poutine
Aug 13, 2012
:madmax:

Please stop

Pickled Tink
Apr 28, 2012

Have you heard about First Dog? It's a very good comic I just love.

Also, wear your bike helmets kids. I copped several blows to the head but my helmet left me totally unscathed.

Finally you should check out First Dog as it's a good comic I like it very much.
Fun Shoe
NSW Labor candidate goes to police over 'paedophile lover' smear campaign

quote:

A New South Wales Labor candidate has complained to police about a smear campaign in which thousands of leaflets labelling him a “paedophile lover” were distributed throughout the electorate he was running in.

Cameron Murphy, the Labor candidate for the seat of East Hills in last month’s state election, is also planning to complain to the Electoral Commission over the anonymous campaign.

Thousands of flyers calling Murphy a “paedophile”, “supporter of child rapists” and a “convicted rapist” were distributed in letterboxes around the electorate in the weeks leading up to the election on 28 March. The night before the election 300 posters were plastered with stickers saying “paedophile lover”.

Votes are still being counted in the electorate with the Liberal candidate, Glenn Brookes, less than 600 votes ahead of Murphy with a 0.3% swing to the Liberal party.

Murphy, who was made a member of the Order of Australia last year for his services to civil rights, was previously the president of the NSW Council for Civil Liberties. In 2009 he defended the right of the paedophile Dennis Ferguson to public housing after a law was passed specifically to allow his eviction.

Murphy said the campaign against him was “incredibly malicious, orchestrated and organised”.

“I made thousands of public comments on matters of human rights. I have had to fight for the rights of some of the most marginalised people in our community in order to ensure the rights of all of us are preserved,” he wrote in the Daily Telegraph on the weekend.

“... For the record, I have an unblemished history. I have never been suspected of, arrested, charged with, or ever been convicted of any offence. I have always been an ethical person and confined my views to the issues, not the people involved in any matter.”

He said the core issue was whether the democratic process could survive such negative campaigns or spur political parties to choose “wooden candidates” who have never taken a position on anything so they cannot be smeared.

“If we want strong leaders and good politicians then we have to ensure that those responsible for this are investigated and prosecuted as a lesson for the future. Otherwise election campaigns will simply become a free-for-all where anyone can make up ­allegations in order to smear their opponents,” he said.

Murphy said he was also devastated for his wife who had to look at them and worried about what his young son would think when he grows older and can understand what the flyers mean.

NSW police confirmed a complaint had been received relating to campaign material distributed in East Hills.

When asked if premier Mike Baird condemned the campaign, a spokesman told Guardian Australia: “The premier condemns all breaches of electoral laws, including distribution of unauthorised material”.
A concerted smear campaign and a swing to the LNP in an election where there was a massive (but not massive enough) swing the other way? What a coincidence.

I also love Baird's weak response to being asked if he condemned the campaign. I guess he condemns these in general, but doesn't care to condemn them in specific instances, especially when in this case it seems to have saved a seat for his government.

Who wants to bet the investigation goes nowhere?

Tomberforce
May 30, 2006

I know some South Africans. I think they might be worse than Australians. I'm trying to decide whether it's worth calling them out, but the idiocy is just too much :sigh:

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

It feels so good to be so bad.....at posting.

Tomberforce posted:

I know some South Africans. I think they might be worse than Australians. I'm trying to decide whether it's worth calling them out, but the idiocy is just too much :sigh:

Oh poo poo, democracy is bad. Better go back to feudalism or better yet, despotism.

thatfatkid
Feb 20, 2011

by Azathoth

Tomberforce posted:

I know some South African's too, some of them vote Green, some of them vote for the LNP. Don't generalize.

Tomberforce
May 30, 2006

thatfatkid posted:

I know some South African's too, some of them vote Green, some of them vote for the LNP. Don't generalize.

Yeah, fair point, was meaning these guys specifically.

Graic Gabtar
Dec 19, 2014

squat my posts

Pickled Tink posted:

Who wants to bet the investigation goes nowhere?
Well ever since Peter Batchelor did over the good people of Nunawading in the 80's I have had low expectations.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Tomberforce posted:

I would pay money to hear a Saffer pronounce "Debacle."

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again

:catdrugs: What the gently caress is this poo poo?

Graic Gabtar
Dec 19, 2014

squat my posts

quote:

Transgender military officer Cate McGregor defends friend Tony Abbott

http://www.theage.com.au/federal-po...408-1mgxdg.html

Cate McGregor has a stinging message for Tony Abbott's more truculent critics: the Prime Minister deserves some credit for so publicly supporting her as the world's most senior transgender military officer.

Lieutenant-Colonel McGregor, who has become a national figure after coming out as a woman in 2012, said on Wednesday that Mr Abbott – a longtime friend – had unhesitatingly supported her even at the risk of provoking conservative elements within his own party.

The video is worth a watch. Having worked with closely with a transgender woman for about a year the challenges are pretty stark. As poo poo as Abbott has been as a PM this is at least one bright point IMO.

auzdark
Aug 29, 2005

Mercy is the cry of the soul that stirred,
Mercy is the cry and it's never heard.

Anidav posted:

Haha that page is gold, also only has 200 likes. Almost as good as the 'penalty rates hurt my common hospitality business' page that was posted a few back.

Graic Gabtar
Dec 19, 2014

squat my posts

Anidav posted:

Stupidity - we need to have a discussion.

Murodese
Mar 6, 2007

Quick, someone in Townsville needs to change them from within

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
"I work for years in the Liberals, but do they call me Chris the party hack? No, they do not.

I spent years at the Australia, but do they call me Chris the shill? No, they do not.

I gently caress ONE dog..."

Tomberforce
May 30, 2006

Murodese posted:

Working on changing them from WA. I seem to have provoked a bit of a shitstorm :unsmigghh:

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RfdZTZQvuCo

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.

Murodese posted:

You don't want to stare into that particular abyss.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

Even though I've never met one in person, I'm guessing Anti-[Insert weird tinfoil thing here] Greens are a worse Anidav adventure than Young Labor. Maybe I should go to a meeting just to see.

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

It feels so good to be so bad.....at posting.

Anidav posted:

Even though I've never met one in person, I'm guessing Anti-[Insert weird tinfoil thing here] Greens are a worse Anidav adventure than Young Labor. Maybe I should go to a meeting just to see.

They'd end up converting you. Next thing you know you're sharing anti-vax articles and claiming the "sheeple" need to wake up.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe
I woke up a sheeple once.

Sheeple are really loving grumpy at getting woken up.

Nibbles!
Jun 26, 2008

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

make australia great again as well please

quote:

Of the 196 victims killed in 2010-12 by an offender with whom they shared a domestic relationship, 38 per cent were male according to the Australian Institute of Criminology.

Leaving out the fact that most of those were victims killing their abusers.

Paracausal
Sep 5, 2011

Oh yeah, baby. Frame your suffering as a masterpiece. Only one problem - no one's watching. It's boring, buddy, boring as death.
Oh cool, I started work at 6 this morning and on Sunrise they're interviewing a kid named Anzac who is the 5th in his extended family to be named such after their grandfather who was an indigenous Australian soldier and this makes my skin crawl as a returned serviceman this is the toughest time of the year for me and yes I've had 4 coffees already

Tomberforce
May 30, 2006

Murodese posted:

no he's some rear end in a top hat that stole my paper and put himself as first author

Hah small world, I'm mate's irl with one of the authors of that paper. He's left Australia now though.

Rougey
Oct 24, 2013

Nibbles! posted:

Leaving out the fact that most of those were victims killing their abusers.
Ayep.

I've heard some call it a disproportionate reaction, but when the abused turns on the abuser they don’t just want to win that fight, but every fight after it. And the common thread running through a lot of them is that they've reached a point where they’re fearful for their life.

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

TG-Chrono posted:

Oh cool, I started work at 6 this morning and on Sunrise they're interviewing a kid named Anzac who is the 5th in his extended family to be named such after their grandfather who was an indigenous Australian soldier and this makes my skin crawl as a returned serviceman this is the toughest time of the year for me and yes I've had 4 coffees already

It's getting worse every year. Abc was advertising some gallipoli app that looked like a rome total war custom map.

Orkin Mang
Nov 1, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

TG-Chrono posted:

i worked int he serviec industry too, whats ur opinion on tipping?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

In the mail box today, in a golden envelope was a giant folded up Anzac poster.

No return address went straight to the bin.

• Locked thread