Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Grem
Mar 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 16 days!
So, I'm hoping I'm not too far off base here, but I'm looking for a card game that's super hero based. Was wondering if there was anything like that for a kid around 7-8, or if that's not too early for Heroclix.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005
You could try Dice Masters, but i'm not sure how strong that game is going right now. I sold mostly everything I had and gave away the rest. 7-8 is probably too young for certain kinds of Heroclix, but I know of some kids around that age that play. They just play to have fun.

Morand
Apr 16, 2004

1: Start New Game
2: Start New Game
3: Start New Game

:aaa:

Grem posted:

So, I'm hoping I'm not too far off base here, but I'm looking for a card game that's super hero based. Was wondering if there was anything like that for a kid around 7-8, or if that's not too early for Heroclix.

Yeah this isn't really a card game so much as a game that has cards involved in it. I've seen young kids play at tournaments and have fun but I'd recommend playing only at home for awhile until you both have a strong grip on things. The rules can get super overwhelming pretty fast

Grem
Mar 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 16 days!
Okay yea, maybe I didn't really explain why I wanted it as much as I could have. Basically want something that will do a little math and rules teaching, with something that I can buy like a big rear end box of boosters or something and give one out a week if all my son's homework get done or something as a reward system. So just him and I playing at home is exactly as far as it's going to go for a while.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

Grem posted:

You know, I was wondering about this sort of thing and Heroclix. I wanted to pass the game (and a bunch of extra pieces) to my nephews, but I remember being overwhelmed with the amount of rules at first - and it still can be confusing to me sometimes, too.

I think for a kid that age, Heroclix is doable, but you have to teach them in a step-increase type of way. So if it were me, I'd suggest a 200-point game, and use their favorite characters to learn a single game mechanic - so, try using Hulk and Abomination, for example, to learn how to use the Charge ability, and play a simple game that ignores every other colored power. If you're feeling ambitious, you could learn a new power every round (each of you play a turn with Charge, then move on to using Flurry, etc.). Now that I'm typing this out, it might be easiest if you play a game where you each field one identical character - so Hulk vs. Hulk.

If kids that age can learn Pokemon, Heroclix shouldn't be too difficult to pick up if you learn it at a reasonable pace.

(What do other thread posters think?)

Grem
Mar 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 16 days!

Red posted:

You know, I was wondering about this sort of thing and Heroclix. I wanted to pass the game (and a bunch of extra pieces) to my nephews, but I remember being overwhelmed with the amount of rules at first - and it still can be confusing to me sometimes, too.

I think for a kid that age, Heroclix is doable, but you have to teach them in a step-increase type of way. So if it were me, I'd suggest a 200-point game, and use their favorite characters to learn a single game mechanic -

Eh, I'll give it a whirl, if nothing else he'll have them for later. What's the latest DC starter pack I could get? I see Trinity War is current but don't see starter packs for it?

Morand
Apr 16, 2004

Grem posted:

Eh, I'll give it a whirl, if nothing else he'll have them for later. What's the latest DC starter pack I could get? I see Trinity War is current but don't see starter packs for it?

Hasn't been a new starter in a long while. You can get the fast forces from the set and print out a PAC

Volfogg
Dec 19, 2010

Some say she was raised by sentient birds, and that test subjects replicating her equipment were horribly broken.

All we know is she's called
The Hunter

And the newest Starter would be the Age of Ultron Movie Starter. Just came out recently. Can't exactly recall the last DC Starter.

Morand
Apr 16, 2004

Volfogg posted:

And the newest Starter would be the Age of Ultron Movie Starter. Just came out recently. Can't exactly recall the last DC Starter.

I think it's the Superman Movie.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Grem posted:

I would suggest getting the Age of Ultron starter, which has good pieces of really well-known characters. It comes with maps and rules and dice and all that stuff.

Then hit up a local Big Lots - they sell TabApp Heroclix 3-packs for $2.50. You can get a 3-pack of Bane/Batman/Catwoman times two - you and the kid can each learn how to play using Batman versus Batman, and add more figures as you go along. If for whatever reason, your local BL is sold out, they're $4-5 on Amazon, and are still worth the deal. They're larger/exaggerated figures, and they have X-Men, Avengers, Justice League, Dark Knight, Spider-Man, and on and on. And, even if the kid you're teaching doesn't take to Heroclix, you can use the TabApp figures to play a free game on an iPad. (I mention these figures often, but they're cheap and useful - and right now, tournament legal.)

If you're feeling ambitious, and want to make it fun, try finding some diecast cars to use as objects. 1:43 is a good scale, and harder to lose than the object pogs. Try to pick red cars, since red is the color of heavy objects. Yellow is light, so maybe you can find a toy barrel that's yellow.

Morand
Apr 16, 2004

The origins website has listed all the Wizards events. Team worlds this year is 100% sealed. Qualifiers and Finals

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005
Whoa. That's interesting. I see a lot of complaints and a lot of approval. I appreciate that you are removing some of the broken team makeups you see at that level, but you could also open a busted sealed pool or absolutely nothing. I guess if they used a balanced set it would be alright. And you still only have X points you can build. But i'd be worried about opening up garbage and the guy I end up playing opened up 2x super rare prime/chases and stomps my face in.

Morand
Apr 16, 2004

ShowTime posted:

Whoa. That's interesting. I see a lot of complaints and a lot of approval. I appreciate that you are removing some of the broken team makeups you see at that level, but you could also open a busted sealed pool or absolutely nothing. I guess if they used a balanced set it would be alright. And you still only have X points you can build. But i'd be worried about opening up garbage and the guy I end up playing opened up 2x super rare prime/chases and stomps my face in.

Last year I ran 2 straight theme teams in the sealed portion of team worlds and went 5-1. Only lost my one game because my opponent rolled 6 goddamn super senses rolls in a row. With 6 boosters among your team you tend to see pretty solid builds on all members

I think there will be enough pieces to make whatever you want to work actually work

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005
Oh I didn't see that was just for team worlds. That's better.

ImperialGuard
Jan 10, 2010
Hey, what general sort of figs would go well with the Age of Ultron Captain America in 500pts, anything goes*?

*that isn't a TB, colossal, resource, feat, BFC

Morand
Apr 16, 2004

ImperialGuard posted:

Hey, what general sort of figs would go well with the Age of Ultron Captain America in 500pts, anything goes*?

*that isn't a TB, colossal, resource, feat, BFC

Hmm. Looking at Cap, I feel like his lower value is his sweet spot. ESD and RS aren't the best combo for him with a 4 range, charge and CR with amazing leadership power and range as an added bonus works better for me.

That said you're left with 3 keywords to build around, Avengers, Howling Commandos, or Soldier.

Avengers is definitely the easiest. You can go amazing tentpole with:

Hulk - 300
Scarlet Witch - 55
Cap - 80
Nick Fury - 45
Secret Avengers - 20

Your opponents poo poo themselves trying to deal with a hulk who's enjoying a 20 defense thanks to the witch. Once she has 2 tokens, uncage the beast and watch a 15/16AV 6-9 damage monster rip them apart. Cap is there as follow up and to tie up pieces with his amazing leadership. Nick provides outwit and the ability for you to decide which part of hulks trait you want to fire. If Hulk goes down you are boned, but the Secret Avengers ATA helps against outwit which is big Achilles heel for you

If you want to be a bit more balanced with the Avengers

Cap @ 80
Hawkeye @ 94
Thor @ 200
Nick Fury @ 45
Quicksilver @ 63
Cosmic Treadmill @ 8
Avengers (Heroic Age) - 10

Potential to move without getting tokens and Quicksilver only needs a 6 to basically give you a free turn. Thor if he hits can really gently caress up an opponent with his Assemble trait.

Sanschel
Aug 9, 2002

It looks like the Nationals winner used a team of Gluttony, Doop w/Proselyte, Splitlip, and a Book. I imagine the strategy was to just outlast the opponent while building up hammers, that team sounds like a pain in the rear end to KO.

Grem
Mar 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 16 days!
Bought my son a Legion of Doom Fast Forces today, ahead of an Age of Ultron starter pack coming and a Trinity War brick (to use as a reward system for keeping his room clean). The simple rules were great! Probably be a long while before we move on to more advanced stuff, but for now the simple addition and subtraction of hits and misses works for me. He'll have some time to work on strategy, too, because he's certainly not the most tactical player ever. He can kick my rear end with a Bizarro though! It was a lot of fun, thanks for the help guys :)

zgrowler2
Oct 29, 2011

HOW DOES THE IPHONE APP WORK?? I WILL SPAM ENDLESSLY EVERYWHERE AND DISREGARD ANY REPLIES

Sanschel posted:

It looks like the Nationals winner used a team of Gluttony, Doop w/Proselyte, Splitlip, and a Book. I imagine the strategy was to just outlast the opponent while building up hammers, that team sounds like a pain in the rear end to KO.

Could he actually go beyond three hammers (e.g., assigning Hammers to Entities), or are the other four just for options?

The Grammar Aryan
Apr 22, 2008
The options could be useful, but it's probably better for panic quakes off of Gluttony to get multiple Steal Energy clicks off and get some breathing room from pieces with Plasticity. Everybody forgets about panic quakes.

Torrent
Apr 18, 2003
" . . . "

zgrowler2 posted:

Could he actually go beyond three hammers (e.g., assigning Hammers to Entities), or are the other four just for options?

The Book places hammers into a character's square, and that character has to take an action (with Splitlip, a free action, but still an action) to pick it up, neither of which can be done with a possessing Entity.

Most Book teams sneak on one of the 3-point bystanders from Fear Itself to soak up the fourth hammer. I haven't seen any reports on what the winner ran, but I would guess that there is one of those on there.

Morand
Apr 16, 2004

Torrent posted:

The Book places hammers into a character's square, and that character has to take an action (with Splitlip, a free action, but still an action) to pick it up, neither of which can be done with a possessing Entity.

Most Book teams sneak on one of the 3-point bystanders from Fear Itself to soak up the fourth hammer. I haven't seen any reports on what the winner ran, but I would guess that there is one of those on there.

Actually I'm betting he used the same trick I saw Massau pull.

If you drop a hammer and don't pick it up, it becomes a regular relic roll. Splitlip keeps it a free action. So equip one hammer, then just do a relic roll to get the second one on.

Torrent
Apr 18, 2003
" . . . "

Morand posted:

Actually I'm betting he used the same trick I saw Massau pull.

If you drop a hammer and don't pick it up, it becomes a regular relic roll. Splitlip keeps it a free action. So equip one hammer, then just do a relic roll to get the second one on.

Ah, interesting. So you'd miss out on the bonus for having extra hammers 'equipped,' but the only really useful bonus there is Power Cosmic, which Doop and Gluttony don't have a need for, anyway. Still get all the benefits of having the hammers, which is all anyone really wants out of the Book. That's nasty.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

So. Would you like to read my trip report on this past weekend for WizKids' Road to Nationals in Glen Burnie, Maryland?

Sure you would.

First, I should note that I never actually planned to play competitively in qualifiers for nationals, but I thought the 'Zombie Apocalypse' event they were running on Sunday sounded neat - it was a swiss tournament that provided 4 sealed boosters (TT, SLoSH, DP, IIM), and the top 6 got factory sets. Everybody who played got a Marvel villain zombie.

Anyway, about a month or so out, they changed venues - from the Games and Stuff store (which must be big, but not enough to handle who ended up showing up; I wouldn't know, I'd never gone) to the Marley Station mall in Glen Burnie. The mall's mostly empty, but has a handful of stores left. They said you'd enter through the food court, and follow signs. I should note whoever emailed all the players (you paid to pre-register by PayPal, so they emailed your PayPal address) didn't use BCC, so I have the emails of 150 Heroclix players.

I hadn't signed up for anything on Saturday, but thought I should show up to buy the Con Exclusives and try a Battle Royale. As the event got closer, I figured it was wise to get there early to make sure I got Supreme Intelligence and Dr. Strange, and get on the list for the first Battle Royale at 11am. I wasn't sure how long it'd take me to drive there in the morning, what with the Cherry Blossom festival thing going on in DC, so I left a little early, and arrived to the mall at 8:15/8:20. Since the first qualifier was at 10am, I figured they'd open registration at 9am.

I didn't see a lot of cars at the mall, except for people at the gym, and had no clue which entrance was the food court. I parked by the movie theater, and indeed saw a sign with an arrow pointing to the left, which made no sense, because, well, that was some restaurant. I just kept going, and found the end of the mall with a decent sized line leading to what used to be a Champs filled with people wearing blue t-shirts. Across the way was a room lined with gaming tables and maps set out.

At 8:45, the line was wrapping around the cul-de-sac of the mall:

The WK staff kept coming in and out, and probably could've saved headaches by just getting people registered at 8:30, but waited until 9. At that point, they opened the gate and a guy with blue hair walked out to just welcome us and tell us they'd try to get people playing their qualifiers at 10am.

At 9:30, the line wasn't really moving. There were only 2-3 people processing registrations and selling Convention Exclusives at the same time, with one guy just wandering around, supervising. Eventually, he stepped out into the mall and announced: "If you're here for Battle Royales, form a line right here.", and everyone ran to get in line. So I'd gotten there early for nothing, I guess. I tell the guy I registered for the zombie game, and ask if I should be in the main line - he looks confused and says I'm fine in the BR line. I'm asking, of course, because of the Con stuff.

They didn't bother to separate Dice Masters, Attack Wing, and Heroclix into any separate lines, just one long line for qualifying events (pre-registered or not), and one for us Battle Royalers. I overheard a lot of people saying they just came and didn't have a chance to register online, and a lot of people had been driving since 3am and whatnot. In my line, I met a few local people, and have some good new groups to play with. :)

I later hear that someone suggested that WK hand out vouchers and sell the Con stuff later so they can get everyone one, which they do, and the supervisor-y guy finally starts helping register people. And the line moves.

So.

It's now 11am, and most of the line is taken care of. A lot of people showed up, and that line took forever to get through. I have to imagine a lot of pre-registered people started late.

So those of us in the BR line (and there are 40-50 of us) are still waiting. It's close to 11:30. The supervisor-y guy comes out, and says:

"For those of you playing Battle Royales, you will get a voucher. The first few of you will get a voucher that is white on the back, and can buy Con Exclusives now. If you aren't one of the first few people, you'll get a voucher with an X on the back, and you can buy Exclusives at 3pm after everyone else has had a chance. We had more turnout than we thought, and don't have enough for everyone."

And people were MAD. Yelling mad and swearing mad. I go: "I asked if I was supposed to be in that line - and you said it didn't matter." And he goes: "The zombie thing? You were supposed to be in the main line!" So I walk over and sign in for the Sunday event, and buy a Supreme Intelligence and Dr. Strange. Meanwhile, some guy is standing by the counter, and asks if I can buy him a Felix Faust. "Sure,", I go, and hook him up, and he passes me some cash, and the WK guy behind the counter doesn't seem to care. Then the guy who bought the Faust hangs out and appears to ask the next several people, and the WK staff behind the counter don't give a poo poo. ... what?

Anyway, I get back in line for BRs with the folks I was talking to, and the guy I'd been talking to has been there for almost as long as me, and only has an X voucher. Someone we've both played with before didn't have his white voucher collected, and just gave it to him, so he was able to buy the Con stuff.

So. Then we get back up to the counter to sign up for BRs and get on a list for them - and wait another 15 minutes or so. Then they hand us each poker cards (A-4) to determine our table. We each get a DC (SLoSH) or Marvel (GotG) booster, and do a snake draft at our table for teams and at the end, our prizes. Good stuff - I got a GotG rare Thanos, a major want, and Daredevil and Shang-Chi ID cards. The only problem was, was that team builds and play time were 50 minutes-ish, and it was all just crammed in. We had to hustle to really play just a few rounds before it was over, then you had to get back in line to pay to play another round. It was hot as poo poo, and the BR tables were cramped. After two rounds, I had had enough. I had plans to go out with friends who lived nearby anyway, so that was okay. But it was just frustrating. Everyone I played with and talked to was awesome, and I met a lot of great players - but all of us agreed that the BRs were rushed. I think a lot of us were just spaced on rules and all that jazz for the first round until we had settled down.

I came back on day 2 for the Zombie game, which ran relatively smoothly. Much more space, much more organization, with team build sheets. I ended up building a DP The Professor, DP Hand Ninja, IIM Iron Paladin, and SLoSH Orion team - and went 2-2. I picked up a Zombie Dr. Doom (which I'll end up trading for a Zombie Red Skull), and picked up a DP Kingpin via trade. One of the WizKids guys had an incident where he was running a prize table, and the table just collapsed - me and another guy helped him clean up, and the other guy joked "You can give me a prize later for helping!", and the WK guy tossed us each Avengers ID cards. I turned my DD card into an Ares later.

Sunday was a lot better, and I actually had fun. I guess it's hard to understand why Saturday had to be so confusing, but if they were legitimately surprised by the turnout, I guess that's good for the game.

Edit: Oh, I should mention - on the way out, "Scott" from the Avengers ID card video was playing against random people, and had the ID card resource filled with cards, and had two new figures out from Avengers Assemble: Echo and Nova. You can read their details on HCR, I guess.

(not my photo)

They also had a podcast thing going on, and a professional photographer walking around taking photos, and I know I'm in a few. Supposedly, there was some release posted, but I never signed anything. No big deal.

Red fucked around with this message at 15:51 on Apr 15, 2015

Grem
Mar 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 16 days!
Ok, I'm going to start watching videos to get myself familiar with some very basic rules, like using abilities on the card. But one thing I'm not clear about in the meantime is, one player gets a turn, and he can only use one character that turn? Or does he get to use each character every turn?

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005
You get a number of actions based on the number of points you are playing (1 action/100 points). You are able to use those actions as you wish and don't have to use all of them. If a character is given an action that isn't free, it gets an action token. Each character can only be assigned 1 action token a turn (barring any special cases, which you'll get into the more you play). A character can't have more than 2 action tokens on it.

So basically, if you have 3 characters on a 300 point team, you can use all 3 of them that turn. Then you can use all 3 of them the next turn (placing a second action token on a character can result in what is called "pushing", which means you take a damage that cannot be avoided). On the third turn, all 3 of your characters would have 2 action tokens from previous turns and as characters can't be assigned a third, you won't be able to give any of your characters actions that turn.

That's just a basic example that I hope helps. You don't have to give a character an action if you don't wish. If a character isn't given an action on a turn, at the end of the turn it clears its action tokens. Special rules might alter those rules a bit, but that kind of stuff will be on the character card.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Red posted:

long post

And reading on HCR, I just now found out why the end of the zombie game had a delay during prize handout - they messed up the final standings, and handed out factory sets in the wrong order.

:( It's always something.

Grem
Mar 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 16 days!

ShowTime posted:

You get a number of actions based on the number of points you are playing (1 action/100 points). You are able to use those actions as you wish and don't have to use all of them. If a character is given an action that isn't free, it gets an action token. Each character can only be assigned 1 action token a turn (barring any special cases, which you'll get into the more you play). A character can't have more than 2 action tokens on it.

So basically, if you have 3 characters on a 300 point team, you can use all 3 of them that turn. Then you can use all 3 of them the next turn (placing a second action token on a character can result in what is called "pushing", which means you take a damage that cannot be avoided). On the third turn, all 3 of your characters would have 2 action tokens from previous turns and as characters can't be assigned a third, you won't be able to give any of your characters actions that turn.

That's just a basic example that I hope helps. You don't have to give a character an action if you don't wish. If a character isn't given an action on a turn, at the end of the turn it clears its action tokens. Special rules might alter those rules a bit, but that kind of stuff will be on the character card.

Ok, so until I finish these videos I'll probably go with something like "1 action per 100 points" but not use action tokens because I don't feel like explaining pushing just yet. My 4 year old jumps in and wants to play so I need to keep those games really simple. Moving and attacks are not free actions, I take it? And you can't move and attck in the same turn without using charge or something (which I'll probably start trying to use tomorrow)?

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005

Red posted:

CON REPORT

Sound about right. For what it's worth, I don't really think WK had much to do with the actual running of the event. When we ran our WKO, they were fairly detailed with the instructions, but did leave a lot of the actual event coordination up to us. Thankfully we have experienced running bigger tournaments and were able to do things right (even with the WizKids Event System going down for a bit right around registration time). It kind of sounds like WizKids left the event coordination up to a local venue.

You do allow registrations early and make a list of all of those that register and preregister them into the event. As people arrive, you check their name and get them out of the line, into a separate line for purchasing exclusives/side event registration. You stagger side event registrations. New registrations take place in another line and go directly into the system. Before the main event starts, you take people out of the main event if they didn't show up and let you know they were here. Vouchers suck and shouldn't be used. Instead you should let preregisters get a first crack and allow them to buy 1 of each. You mark what they purchased down on a spreadsheet. I would have probably noted how many exclusives you had for sale and if you had some left over, go through the line starting at the front and take new names down, and let them get theirs. I wouldn't sell them early. I'd instead let people know that they are able to purchase them throughout the day at their convenience. That way you can save time and get people playing. If someone was standing in line trying to purchase exclusives from people, or have them buy the ones they weren't already going to buy, i'd ban him from the venue for soliciting (actually i'd probably give him one warning first). Exclusives really suck, actually. I wish they weren't sold as a first come, first serve thing, because everyone wants to get in, make sure they are signed up for the main event, their side event, whatever, but also make sure they get their con-exclusives before they all sell out. I say let them reserve their 1 copy and pick it up later. You don't really have to deal with it then and they don't have to carry it around all day.

I really feel bad for the people running that tournament. Running big ones like that can be really crazy. I know this from basically running our WKO by myself. It didn't help our WKO was in the middle of our move to a new location, and I can't imagine how stressed those guys were. Not being sure if your internet will event work is terrifying when the entire tournament system is url based. Thank god we used a third-party program. Which is another thing you should do: do your tournaments on two sources. If one goes down, you have the backup, and you have the backup there to double check everything. They might not have had an issue with handling prizes if they noticed there was a difference in the two tournament reports.

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005

Grem posted:

Ok, so until I finish these videos I'll probably go with something like "1 action per 100 points" but not use action tokens because I don't feel like explaining pushing just yet. My 4 year old jumps in and wants to play so I need to keep those games really simple. Moving and attacks are not free actions, I take it? And you can't move and attck in the same turn without using charge or something (which I'll probably start trying to use tomorrow)?

Sounds good. Moving and attacks are actions, yea. And yes, some things like charge let you do both on a turn (in the instance of charge, you'd give your character a power action to use charge, which is the actual action he is being assigned that turn. The charge then allows him to use a free action to attack.)

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Grem posted:

Ok, I'm going to start watching videos to get myself familiar with some very basic rules

There doesn't seem to be a lot of great videos out there, but this one isn't bad:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IeFoUQSNCn0

Skip ahead to 25:30 to see the layout of the map and a game start. After explaining map roll and object placement, he goes through actions and all that jazz. That's a good place to start.

---

I will say, it really helped me grasp mechanics and whatnot to look at a 3-D map of Heroclix - seeing that sort of thing really helps you understand blocking/hindering/elevated terrain:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DZyhdrHvcmo

This idea might seem silly, but it does help you understand how ranged attacks relate to the "ledge" of elevated terrain, and just how useful flight or leap/climb is.

Your map is flat - but all those sorts of things are there. Your characters on the map are surrounded by walls, cars, and so on.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

ShowTime posted:

Sound about right. For what it's worth, I don't really think WK had much to do with the actual running of the event. When we ran our WKO, they were fairly detailed with the instructions, but did leave a lot of the actual event coordination up to us. Thankfully we have experienced running bigger tournaments and were able to do things right (even with the WizKids Event System going down for a bit right around registration time). It kind of sounds like WizKids left the event coordination up to a local venue.

You do allow registrations early and make a list of all of those that register and preregister them into the event. As people arrive, you check their name and get them out of the line, into a separate line for purchasing exclusives/side event registration. You stagger side event registrations. New registrations take place in another line and go directly into the system. Before the main event starts, you take people out of the main event if they didn't show up and let you know they were here. Vouchers suck and shouldn't be used. Instead you should let preregisters get a first crack and allow them to buy 1 of each. You mark what they purchased down on a spreadsheet. I would have probably noted how many exclusives you had for sale and if you had some left over, go through the line starting at the front and take new names down, and let them get theirs. I wouldn't sell them early. I'd instead let people know that they are able to purchase them throughout the day at their convenience. That way you can save time and get people playing. If someone was standing in line trying to purchase exclusives from people, or have them buy the ones they weren't already going to buy, i'd ban him from the venue for soliciting (actually i'd probably give him one warning first). Exclusives really suck, actually. I wish they weren't sold as a first come, first serve thing, because everyone wants to get in, make sure they are signed up for the main event, their side event, whatever, but also make sure they get their con-exclusives before they all sell out. I say let them reserve their 1 copy and pick it up later. You don't really have to deal with it then and they don't have to carry it around all day.

I really feel bad for the people running that tournament. Running big ones like that can be really crazy. I know this from basically running our WKO by myself. It didn't help our WKO was in the middle of our move to a new location, and I can't imagine how stressed those guys were. Not being sure if your internet will event work is terrifying when the entire tournament system is url based. Thank god we used a third-party program. Which is another thing you should do: do your tournaments on two sources. If one goes down, you have the backup, and you have the backup there to double check everything. They might not have had an issue with handling prizes if they noticed there was a difference in the two tournament reports.

You're 100% spot on, but honestly, it would've made all the difference in the world if:

- They'd had 1-3 more people help with registration
- Allowed people to pre-register for battle royales
- Brought extra stock of con exclusives
- Given people who played qualifiers some sort of participation prize (I heard there was none)
- Gave five-minute warnings instead of yelling "LAST ACTION!"
- Broke up battle royales into sections: - team building for 6 minutes - 45 minutes of play - prize drafting for 6 minutes - 15-minute break until next BR (I asked after one BR how long a break we had, and was told "Right now, the sheet is full" and I had just paid and put my name in)

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005

Red posted:

You're 100% spot on, but honestly, it would've made all the difference in the world if:

- They'd had 1-3 more people help with registration
- Allowed people to pre-register for battle royales
- Brought extra stock of con exclusives
- Given people who played qualifiers some sort of participation prize (I heard there was none)
- Gave five-minute warnings instead of yelling "LAST ACTION!"
- Broke up battle royales into sections: - team building for 6 minutes - 45 minutes of play - prize drafting for 6 minutes - 15-minute break until next BR (I asked after one BR how long a break we had, and was told "Right now, the sheet is full" and I had just paid and put my name in)

Preregistering for battle royales would be kind of difficult, but it could probably be done. I wrote something up about it being difficult to do and all the problems, and then though about it and realized i'd just make separate items on our website that could be purchased for each time slot. It would actually be nice because you could see which event had players based on number of items that were left. There are probably still some issues that could come up, like someone not showing up. But you'd just have to have a waiting list or something of people that showed up that morning.
Other games do promos for registering, which might be nice. Even if it was just an action token or piece of terrain. Might be nice to have something to show I participated in an event. I like the idea of objects, since they are used pretty regularly and can be unique enough to notice.
WizKids actually told us to do announcements when there were 25/15/5 minutes left, if I remember right. Anyway, its probably good to do that.

Morand
Apr 16, 2004

Grem posted:

Ok, so until I finish these videos I'll probably go with something like "1 action per 100 points" but not use action tokens because I don't feel like explaining pushing just yet. My 4 year old jumps in and wants to play so I need to keep those games really simple.

1 action per 100 is actually the standard per the rules so it's a good base to start with.

Grem posted:

Moving and attacks are not free actions, I take it? And you can't move and attck in the same turn without using charge or something (which I'll probably start trying to use tomorrow)?

The answer to this is usually yes but as is the way of clix there are exceptions. Sidestep is a power that lets you move 2 squares as a free action. There are some ATA's and figures that can attack as a free action when conditions are met. For example, Brother Voodoo can use mind control as a free action when he has one token. Heroes for Hire ata allows you to make a close or ranged combat attack as a free action depending on the number of hired tokens assigned to your force.

There's more, but that's only going to confuse you. Playing really is the best way to learn. Playing with a 4 year old is going to be equal parts fun and frustrating I bet but the simplifications you'll be forced to do will help you both.

Morand
Apr 16, 2004

Thursday is 500 silver. I got a Brainiac Ship and Felix Faust from a friend who went to nationals and I am dying to try them both out. I can't make a team I like with the ship so I've come up with the following.

Gorilla Grodd - 175
Mirror Master - 80
Mirror Master - 30
Felix Faust - 80
Psycho Pirate - 70
Turtle - 50

The idea being that I'll use my 2 mirror masters to play taxi with the sidestep, carrying Psycho Pirate and Grodd. Turtle will slow the game down, while Felix will hold back and rain down whatever hell he happens to feel like doing. Grodd will do his MC/Psyblast combo to basically incap/hurt pieces I don't like. Mind Control them to dance around and take a token/damage from turtle then psyblast. Pirate will use his -2 perplex to make sure he can hit. If I need to I can have him base opponents with his best friend power. Mirror Masters can be additional attackers in a pinch with their precision.

I like the idea I have but I'm not 100% sold on the team. I think I built it because one dude said he was bringing KC flash possessed by adara with blue lantern backup. I have 15 points leftover and can't really figure out what to spend it on. I can't quite do a green lantern battery and sniper rifle for Psycho Pirate as I'd be 1 over, and using a mallet doesn't seem all that great. I don't have any other lanterns save blue and I really have no idea what constructs I have for that so that's also out.

Ideas or thoughts?

TNG
Jan 4, 2001

by Lowtax
Well also you can't use the batteries because they have to cost a minimum of 16 points to be included on a force. A full utility belt is just 14. It's not as good as it used to be after the watch list errata, but it still has some pretty good effects. Grodd with Batman TA could be pretty great, and if you have the Night Vision Goggles and the Disguise Kit he becomes all the more potent. Radar Monitor isn't that bad either as it allows Grodd to get something beyond his crappy IL TA.

It will also allow you to crush the Super Friends. CRUSH THEM!

TNG fucked around with this message at 14:49 on Apr 15, 2015

Torrent
Apr 18, 2003
" . . . "
Well, with convention season getting started, I figure I'll give you guys a heads-up on the Gen-Con situation. All of this may be subject to change, but as last I heard, the ongoing WizKids/Gen-Con feud had brought us to this:

There will be no booth in the exhibit hall, which means no place to sell things. If you're after the purchasable convention exclusives, Gen-Con is not the place to go, this year.

There will be no night shift on the tournament floor. There has also been talk about not running events on Sunday, but I don't know how that panned out. Without Worlds, though, we will have more space for battle royales and casual tournaments, so it should be fun around there. I don't know the full event list, but I will be running Joker's Wild again this year. While it was not that full last year, it drew a ton of interest, so I'm hoping to have a full roster of players this year.

So, that's how things are looking. I think it'll be a fun convention for players, but nowhere near the scale that it has been in years past.

I AM THE MOON
Dec 21, 2012

TNG posted:

Well also you can't use the batteries because they have to cost a minimum of 16 points to be included on a force.
nah

TNG
Jan 4, 2001

by Lowtax
Force Construction - The Power Battery must be assigned a Power Ring (ring symbol) and 1-6 distinct Constructs (construct symbol). The Power Battery costs 2 points, plus the combined cost of the assigned Power Ring and Constructs, and must total a minimum of 16 points.

???

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Morand
Apr 16, 2004

Torrent posted:

Well, with convention season getting started, I figure I'll give you guys a heads-up on the Gen-Con situation. All of this may be subject to change, but as last I heard, the ongoing WizKids/Gen-Con feud had brought us to this:

There will be no booth in the exhibit hall, which means no place to sell things. If you're after the purchasable convention exclusives, Gen-Con is not the place to go, this year.

There will be no night shift on the tournament floor. There has also been talk about not running events on Sunday, but I don't know how that panned out. Without Worlds, though, we will have more space for battle royales and casual tournaments, so it should be fun around there. I don't know the full event list, but I will be running Joker's Wild again this year. While it was not that full last year, it drew a ton of interest, so I'm hoping to have a full roster of players this year.

So, that's how things are looking. I think it'll be a fun convention for players, but nowhere near the scale that it has been in years past.

Wow. That actually kind of sucks for wizkids. Gen-con is such a huge event overall it had to be good exposure for them and last year the tournament area was so much better run then in years past. The exhibit booth was a loving nightmare though, really frustrated and rude staff just kind of making GBS threads on everyones experience. It might have even cost one dude his job after all was said and done.

I really did enjoy Gen-con too but I won't be returning unless wizkids is there. I can't justify the cost.

• Locked thread