Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

https://www.comixology.com/Convergence-Week-1-Sale/page/6095?ref=c2l0ZS9pbmRleC9kZXNrdG9wL2xhcmdlQ2Fyb3VzZWw

All-New Atom is good, right?

e: Speaking of.. Convergence: Atom preview:
http://nerdist.com/exclusive-dc-comics-convergence-the-atom-1-preview/

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 08:42 on Apr 7, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alucard Nacirema
Apr 22, 2008

by exmarx

Yes. Lots of talent involved including G.Morrison, Gail Simone, and Rick Remender.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

I'm guessing that the voice in Ray's head is Ryan, having undergone some kind of Firestorm Fusion.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Bahaha Cry for Justice. Didn't the writer end up defending that book after a being attacked by internet trolls?

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Madkal posted:

Bahaha Cry for Justice. Didn't the writer end up defending that book after a being attacked by internet trolls?
Shouldn't have needed to, it's award winning!

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Everyone should read Cry for Justice just so DC's output doesn't seem *that* bad.

But do it in a way that doesn't involve giving DC money and encouraging them. Like, read it at a Borders or something.

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.

Endless Mike posted:

at a Borders

Uh....

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I DID SAY "OR SOMETHING"

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Cry for Justice/Rise of Arsenal are the best comedy books DC has ever published

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Convergence: Superman preview:
http://www.usatoday.com/story/life/2015/04/07/convergence-superman-exclusive-preview/25403141/

I'm getting this one. It looks great.

Apart from Jimmy's "that ROCKS it" line, it even reads fine.

e: It's the same artist from Dan Jurgen's Futures End Superman, which also looked incredible. Dunno why they're such bros, but I'll take it!

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 20:59 on Apr 7, 2015

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008
Wow I'm sorry but that looks dumb as poo poo. Why is Superman running around dressed like a ninja fighting people hand to hand? WHY DOES HE HAVE HIS FULL CAPE AND COSTUME UNDER A NINJA SUIT? Did I miss something where he changed places with the guy or something?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Senor Candle posted:

Wow I'm sorry but that looks dumb as poo poo. Why is Superman running around dressed like a ninja fighting people hand to hand? WHY DOES HE HAVE HIS FULL CAPE AND COSTUME UNDER A NINJA SUIT? Did I miss something where he changed places with the guy or something?

It will presumably be explained in the book?

Also "Superman disguises himself as someone else" is a pretty age-old concept.

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

ImpAtom posted:

It will presumably be explained in the book?

Also "Superman disguises himself as someone else" is a pretty age-old concept.

True, it does say in the beginning that he hasn't been invulnerable in like a year? I still want to know why he is wearing his full costumer + cape under that other uniform

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Senor Candle posted:

I think that and the Atom preview both answer pretty well that apparently people under the domes lose their powers... Except until they have to have a one-shot based around them, at which point they get their powers back.

As for the full costume thing... I guess Superman does it because it makes him feel better?

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Haha. He looked so cool busting out that I didn't think to think about that.
Suspension of disbelief is real.

Senor Candle posted:

Did I miss something

The near-century of Superman somehow fitting a cape under his clothes.

e: Here's a useless quirk that was in Convergence #0
http://www.bleedingcool.com/2015/04/07/converging-the-double-page-spreads-of-convergence-0/
Okay then!

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 21:28 on Apr 7, 2015

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Senor Candle posted:

True, it does say in the beginning that he hasn't been invulnerable in like a year? I still want to know why he is wearing his full costumer + cape under that other uniform

Superman wears his full costume under clothing regularly. Even while depowered (which happens a lot!)

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
Am I just not "getting" this Convergence stuff or are these comics really just kinda weird and offputting for some reason? Of the three previews posted so far, I don't think a single one has really excited me.

Teenage Fansub posted:

All-New Atom is good, right?
It's pretty excellent, other than one single arc...I think it's issues 9, 10, and 11...that's just painful and incredibly Simoney in a bad Simone way.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

BrianWilly posted:

Am I just not "getting" this Convergence stuff or are these comics really just kinda weird and offputting for some reason? Of the three previews posted so far, I don't think a single one has really excited me.

There've been seven posted. You might've missed Question.

Or still not care? I'm very, very excited :)

I think they all look pretty naff, apart from that and now Superman (E: maybe Nightwing since we didn't really see anything.) I didn't even bother to post Harley Quinn and Titans.

Counting on fourth week's Shazam to make it all worth it!

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 21:49 on Apr 7, 2015

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

I did miss that. :catstare:

And that looks incredible.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

BrianWilly posted:

I'm kind of with you. I don't know why, but for some reason I was under the illusion that this whole thing would be sort of visiting all these old universes... like, the whole universe. Instead it seems to be "here's a weird scenario inside bottled Pre-Crisis Gotham or whatever".

And I guess that makes sense in the overall grand story that Convergence is supposed to be but like I said, I just got myself overly excited to read more issues of Pre-Flashpoint comics.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

No it's not really what I was expecting. It's like they don't want anybody to be able to imagine their favorite continuities just going along as they were before. All the stories seem to be pretty heavily focused on how Brainiac sticking their worlds into jars has affected their day to day.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

ImpAtom posted:

Superman wears his full costume under clothing regularly. Even while depowered (which happens a lot!)

It's probably habit by now, like mormon underwear.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Teenage Fansub posted:

Convergence: Superman preview:
http://www.usatoday.com/story/life/2015/04/07/convergence-superman-exclusive-preview/25403141/

I'm getting this one. It looks great.

Apart from Jimmy's "that ROCKS it" line, it even reads fine.

e: It's the same artist from Dan Jurgen's Futures End Superman, which also looked incredible. Dunno why they're such bros, but I'll take it!

Is it just me but it's awesome to see him older married to Lois and not wearing segmented armor while on fire? :allears: I missed this version of Superman.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

I'm afraid he'll be woken up on the next page by Perry White and had just been daydreaming that he got his power back.

I shouldn't fear the inevitable.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Also, if I remember right, that mini has Superman and Lois in Gotham. So dressing like a ninja for your vigilante-ing is pretty par for the course there. Plus it's very in-character for Clark to keep trying to help people even with no powers, and weirdly lets this build off the similar point made in the last issue of the main-line book.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

KaosMachina posted:

"We truly are at the FUTURE'S END."
Alternatively, "JUST IMAGINE how surprised we are to be showing up again."

TwoPair posted:

"All the power's gone out, guess we'll have to go back to lighting GOTHAM BY GASLIGHT"

Also,

If every issue has a dumb pun for a title, I'll be happy with this event.

e:

Jiro posted:

Since DC really does have a hard on for cities named Gotham I'm not really surprised most of them in this clusterfuck are a Gotham of some kind really.

The Superman issue is pretty great. Turns out I have some weird affection for the Flashpoint characters I never knew I had.
Question was good. I don't think I've read anything between Renee and Two-Face. I should probably start Gotham Central, finally.
Nightwing+Oracle was okay. Real Gail-ey. I liked the parts about the infrastructure and food situation of trapped Gotham.
The Atom one is crazy nuts bad, but at least it was nutty. Batman and Robin was absolutely nothing.
The main really is more Earth 2, though the domes only came down on the last page.

I enjoyed my time till I read B&R.

Someone buy Batgirl and let us know if she gets to pee.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 18:09 on Apr 8, 2015

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Gaz-L posted:

Also, if I remember right, that mini has Superman and Lois in Gotham. So dressing like a ninja for your vigilante-ing is pretty par for the course there. Plus it's very in-character for Clark to keep trying to help people even with no powers, and weirdly lets this build off the similar point made in the last issue of the main-line book.

Since DC really does have a hard on for cities named Gotham I'm not really surprised most of them in this clusterfuck are a Gotham of some kind really. Would have been nice to have an Atlantis, or Central City, or whatever city the Teen Titans kept getting killed in, a domed Legion of Doom swamp with hideout, Smallville, that land that exists in the center of the earth with that astronaut or something where he goes all Frank Frazzeta and has smokin hot barbarian babes while fighting off lizard men and magic. poo poo Bizzaro Gotham would be interesting as the happiest most sane place in known existence.

vegetables
Mar 10, 2012

Teenage Fansub posted:

I should probably start Gotham Central, finally.

Spend all the money you're spending on this on that instead.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

vegetables posted:

Spend all the money you're spending on this on that instead.

It's waitin' for me :)

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Question seems to be building more off the beginnings of their dealings in No-Man's Land. Harvey and Renee help a bunch of the regular folks in Gotham, aided by the fact that Harv's coin is being unusually consistent in landing good side up. There's a good moment where she manages to convince him to help regardless of what the coin says, which is what kinda leads into the Central story. Which is good, but pretty dark.

Darth Nat
Aug 24, 2007

It all comes out right in the end.

Teenage Fansub posted:

Someone buy Batgirl and let us know if she gets to pee.

She does not.

I didn't really like it. There's some stuff I like, like an extended part where Cass and Steph are living together. But then there's a scene where Cass threatens to eat their pet hamster unless Steph beats her in a fight. Basically, Cass's characterization is what I'd expect from someone who admitted to reading one issue about her before writing the book.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Is it better or worse than those issues where Cass turned evil?

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Much better. I'm a huge fan of Cass and the issue seemed fine to me.

Even the part about eating the Hamster makes perfect sense in context. (After Gotham get's cut off by the dome, one of the only sources of meat are from growing pets like Hamsters.) Stephanie is against it because she has a bound with the Hamster. Cassandra sees it in pragmatic terms that you farm animals.

I really enjoyed it.
And it also continues the trend of Stephanie having far more chemistry with Cassandra then she does with Tim Drake.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Darth Nat posted:

She does not.

I didn't really like it. There's some stuff I like, like an extended part where Cass and Steph are living together. But then there's a scene where Cass threatens to eat their pet hamster unless Steph beats her in a fight. Basically, Cass's characterization is what I'd expect from someone who admitted to reading one issue about her before writing the book.

Wait, what?

Still, I think that's still one issue more than Adam Beechen, I think.

lotus circle
Dec 25, 2012

Jushure Iburu
So don't worry
The issue she read, by the way, was the Red Robin one with Cass pretending to kill Tim. Not exactly the best issue to use, though Cass' characterization in it wasn't bad.

Anyways I got Question and Justice League and was happy with both. I talked to some friends who got the others and the consensus seems to be that the majority of all the books are just straight set-ups for the second issue. They tease, but don't do much past that. Question I think worked because it didn't tease much, it was just a solid issue about Renee and Harvey and the teasing comes at the tail end. Justice League, likewise, established their set-up toward the end and left the first two-thirds as character interaction.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Teenage Fansub posted:

If every issue has a dumb pun for a title, I'll be happy with this event.

That just gives me flashbacks to DC's terrible habit of putting dumb puns on their covers, ruining them.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

So yeah, I've read all Convergence titles and I can't help but be a bit disappointed in all this weird desert thunderdome stuff, but frankly it may just be a lot of my expectations being too high.

'Cuz, I mean, most of the books were totally fine and nothing actually jumps out as being bad per se (some of the art, perhaps), and there are even several enjoyable moments. The whole thing is...honestly, pretty standard comics. Normal. Ordinary. And maybe that's part of the problem because this really deserved to be more than just a less inept "Countdown: Arena." But what can you do.

The books that fare the best are probably (and, mostly unsurprisingly) the Question, Superman, and Nightwing/Oracle books. Turns out that having experienced writers tackle characters they've shown good rapport with will get you better books than just saddling a bunch of writers you've never heard of with a bunch of characters they've never heard of. Who knew!

BrianWilly fucked around with this message at 00:24 on Apr 9, 2015

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

I was on the fence about Nightwing/Oracle until the last panel of the book.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

BrianWilly posted:

So yeah, I've read all Convergence titles and I can't help but be a bit disappointed in all this weird desert thunderdome stuff, but frankly it may just be a lot of my expectations being too high .

'Cuz, I mean, most of the books were totally fine and nothing actually jumps out as being bad per se (some of the art, perhaps), and there are even several enjoyable moments. The whole thing is...honestly, pretty standard comics. Normal. Ordinary. And maybe that's part of the problem because this really deserved to be more than just a less inept "Countdown: Arena." But what can you do.

The books that fare the best are probably (and, mostly unsurprisingly) the Question, Superman, and Nightwing/Oracle books. Turns out that having experienced writers tackle characters they've shown good rapport with will get you better books than just saddling a bunch of writers you've heard of with a bunch of characters they've never heard of. Who knew!

Found the problem right there. Also can the Flashpoint universe just go die in a hole somewhere? That's what we have the Earth 2 universe with all the angst and gnashing teeth for now apparently.. Also Issue 1 of Convergence somehow manages to be worse than issue 0.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

Was Flashpoint Aquaman always meant to be some sort of creepy evil stalker guy? I thought his backstory was supposed to be that he's sad 'cuz he lost his Mera, but in Convergence: JLA he kidnaps the "main" Mera and gets real...aggressive...about it.

• Locked thread