Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Calax
Oct 5, 2011

Transient People posted:

Because the first competitive stop is the ranked 5s ladder, where you accumulate points to qualify to the CS. The CS is just an overglorified, overlong promo tourney, not an actual league in the style of the English Football League or what have you.

Didn't know that, but the point of my post, that if you want to foster a better LCS you need that developmental area for the teams to grow within, still stands because right now there's no money to be made in sponsoring a ranked 5's team, and teaching them how to play. I mean I honestly don't know why TSM or CLG have challenger teams (when they did have them) because you'll have to give up the team if the succeed. So if you want to have that development team, you basically have to have 5 guys in ranked fives who refuse the challenger series that you can promote into your regular roster once they've grown into better players.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fnox
May 19, 2013

TSM and the likes have challenger teams so they can eventually sell them if they reach the LCS. just the "selling the team" part pays off the entire investment made for the entire time you owned them because sponsors and entrepreneurs will dish out big money for the player contracts (and possibly the naming rights). additionally, it helps a lot with scouting, which is something you have to be doing every single split because of how short lived LCS careers have been normally, if you find any good players you take them into your Challenger team and then if they actually become LCS caliber, you swap them to the main team. this also pressures the main team to perform since they can be replaced by as good players easily.

PlaceholderPigeon
Dec 31, 2012
New Countdown of Montecristo up

Calax
Oct 5, 2011

A thought I had after seeing the 5.7 patch notes...

Will we be seeing cinderhulk/smite/flash Shen up in the top lane? Seems like with the lower cd on the ultimate he'd be more viable to throw out that pressure, without needing the second teleport.

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

You look like you're still raking it in. Still killing 'em?

Calax posted:

A thought I had after seeing the 5.7 patch notes...

Will we be seeing cinderhulk/smite/flash Shen up in the top lane? Seems like with the lower cd on the ultimate he'd be more viable to throw out that pressure, without needing the second teleport.

It's doable but I think he'd take ignite flash if you went Shen but Shen does not have good matchups against AP tops since he has no MR/level. Vlad is an ultra hard counter. Shen is better against autoattackers and tanks.

Sushipants
Sep 8, 2010
KT Roster running toplane Hecarim w/ smite.

He has triforce and cinderhulk at 20 minutes.

EDIT: Finishes 0/0/6 with 450 gold per minute. New meta incoming!

Sushipants fucked around with this message at 12:21 on Apr 8, 2015

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

Smite nerfs inc.

PlaceholderPigeon
Dec 31, 2012
Jin Air looks crappy again; so much for their brief period of competence.

Disinterested posted:

Smite nerfs inc.

This is why Junglers cant have nice things, because the laners figure out how to use them to the point where they get nerfed.

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

PlaceholderPigeon posted:

This is why Junglers cant have nice things, because the laners figure out how to use them to the point where they get nerfed.

Especially toplane.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Making the item so efficient that it's better than any laner item and making up for having one less summoner means its probabyl finely balanced

babydonthurtme
Apr 21, 2005
It's my first time...
Grimey Drawer
Yeah I think it's safe to say smite is going to get hit. Ssumday's smite hecarim was really disgusting, I bet we're going to see more top laners running smite in playoffs here and elsewhere. It's so much lategame damage and pressure if played properly

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

I suspect simultaneous hec nerfs as well.

Killed By Death
Jun 29, 2013

EDG have a loving slick gaming house, wow.

anti-magic
Sep 9, 2012

We've come up in the ram-raiding business, Owl.
It's all high class now.
No more baby seats.

babydonthurtme posted:

Yeah I think it's safe to say smite is going to get hit. Ssumday's smite hecarim was really disgusting, I bet we're going to see more top laners running smite in playoffs here and elsewhere. It's so much lategame damage and pressure if played properly

Probably just end up removing challenging smite from the game at this rate. It was too beautiful for this world.

foutre
Sep 4, 2011

:toot: RIP ZEEZ :toot:

Killed By Death posted:

Their owner is the son of a businessman worth 14 billion, think gravity times 1 thousand.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Killed By Death posted:

drat is that like a cafeteria downstairs? I'd live there.

Sexpansion
Mar 22, 2003

DELETED

PlaceholderPigeon posted:

This is my unifying theory of League jungle balance, which is that once a jungler becomes good, they inevitably become a dominant solo laner and must be punished.

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

Occasionally rito eventually turns a broken laner in to a broken jungler though, like Khazix or mid Lee Sin.

Sexpansion
Mar 22, 2003

DELETED

Disinterested posted:

Occasionally rito eventually turns a broken laner in to a broken jungler though, like Khazix or mid Lee Sin.

While laners do occasionally become junglers, I think it's not because they suddenly become bad laners (although Kha'Zix may be the one hole in this theory); but rather, it's because the variety of viable jungle champions is so meager that any champion that can fit that role must be prioritized for the jungle over putting them in a lane.

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

You try mid lee sin. That used to be so broken it's unreal.

Sexpansion
Mar 22, 2003

DELETED

Disinterested posted:

You try mid lee sin. That used to be so broken it's unreal.

Lee Sin has been gutted so bad that it's not really relevant anymore, but he's probably a better toplaner than he is a jungler right now.

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

Sexpansion posted:

Lee Sin has been gutted so bad that it's not really relevant anymore, but he's probably a better toplaner than he is a jungler right now.

Not saying much but maybe. Elise in top lane is another example here of being a broken laner before a broken jungler. Jungle is just the loving land of top lane's ill-fitting clothes.

Sexpansion
Mar 22, 2003

DELETED

Disinterested posted:

Jungle is just the loving land of top lane's ill-fitting clothes.

Truth.

Sexpansion
Mar 22, 2003

DELETED
25 minutes until Origen or LowLandLions (now known as CW academy) gets an auto-spot in the EU LCS: http://lolesports.com

Libertine
Jun 21, 2004

When I die, I hope they say I made the eSports industry a better place than I made millions of dollars.

Killed By Death posted:

This looks like the brand new corporate office of a multi-billion dollar corporation.

foutre posted:

Their owner is the son of a businessman worth 14 billion, think gravity times 1 thousand.

This explains it.

Sexpansion posted:

25 minutes until Origen or LowLandLions (now known as CW academy) gets an auto-spot in the EU LCS: http://lolesports.com

Go Lions/Wolves. Some Game of Thrones house war side-switching going on.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Libertine posted:

This looks like the brand new corporate office of a multi-billion dollar corporation.

This explains it.

Go Lions/Wolves. Some Game of Thrones house war side-switching going on.

Yeah it looks cool as hell. Awesome that you are in a nice office building and not some lovely house such as the new NA super team in dota 2...

https://twitter.com/BuLbaDotA/status/585563619049476097

Savage Cracker
Jul 21, 2010

GreyPowerVan posted:

Yeah it looks cool as hell. Awesome that you are in a nice office building and not some lovely house such as the new NA super team in dota 2...

https://twitter.com/BuLbaDotA/status/585563619049476097

Lol literally mom's basement. The gently caress is that poo poo.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

Killed By Death posted:

And I thought DK's team house was good... :stare:

Sexpansion
Mar 22, 2003

DELETED
I will be really, really surprised if Origen doesn't at least 3 - 1 Low Land Lions.

Edit: If they give up more than one game I think it's a big choke from Origen, they are that much better.

Libertine
Jun 21, 2004

When I die, I hope they say I made the eSports industry a better place than I made millions of dollars.

Sexpansion posted:

I will be really, really surprised if Origen doesn't at least 3 - 1 Low Land Lions.

LLL/CWA 3-2 is my call. In fact I think they looked much better in the semi-final than Origen. Origen feels like a choke job waiting to happen.

Firebert
Aug 16, 2004

Disinterested posted:

I suspect simultaneous hec nerfs as well.

Hec's sustain got hit a bit in the patch coming out today.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

I'm hoping LLL wins.

Man why do all of these teams have to lose their awesome names when they get picked up by some lovely sponser.

LowLandLions was a great name.

Copenhagen Wolves Academy... not so much.

Sexpansion
Mar 22, 2003

DELETED

Libertine posted:

LLL/CWA 3-2 is my call. In fact I think they looked much better in the semi-final than Origen. Origen feels like a choke job waiting to happen.

Origen looked shaky as hell against Reason, but other than that they've been pretty dominant. I guess that's why I think they'll win, but I agree that if you just look at their most recent performance CWA is looking better right now.

Savage Cracker
Jul 21, 2010

Sexpansion posted:

Origen looked shaky as hell against Reason, but other than that they've been pretty dominant.

They looked shaky as well against LLL in their two games in the regular season too.

3/2 in favour of LLL is my call too though I'd prefer to see Origen cleaning up their map play.

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

Firebert posted:

Hec's sustain got hit a bit in the patch coming out today.

I suspect they will have to go after his ability to q spam to really knock him down.

Lovechop
Feb 1, 2005

cheers mate
origen are my boys but i also hope morsu busts some poo poo out this series. i've rly enjoyed watching him so far in CS.

Sexpansion
Mar 22, 2003

DELETED
I don't really like Nidalee all that much right now, especially not as a first pick.

Edit: OMG take Sejuani.

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

Sexpansion posted:

I don't really like Nidalee all that much right now, especially not as a first pick.

Good for stomping noobs, so may be good for challenger.

Savage Cracker
Jul 21, 2010
Challenger series still playing 5.4 ? :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sexpansion
Mar 22, 2003

DELETED

Savage Cracker posted:

Challenger series still playing 5.4 ? :v:

:D

• Locked thread