Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Phantom Classic

Radio Patrol

Rip Kirby

Big Ben Bolt

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aardmania
Jan 1, 2007

Ruining newspapers since 1993.

Shredded Hen
Piranha Club

Dick Tracy

Judge Parker

9 Chickweed Lane

"Sure, if you don't count the non-stop dry heaving."

Pibgorn

Tritanomalicious
Mar 14, 2008

A dog, A barrel... RIDICULOUS!

Wanamingo posted:

Lost Side of Suburbia

I'm going to guess all the missing kids turn into Margo's large reptile collection.
I very much want to be wrong, as I like Margo more than I have liked any character in this thread since Modesty Blaise was being posted.

Tumblr of scotch
Mar 13, 2006

Please, don't be my neighbor.
RIP Gemma.

Midnight Moth
Sep 14, 2007

What the hell, dude??
I'm like, right here.
Dustin

"Our son seems depressed."
"Good."

A+ writing Kelley.

Bleeker

Didn't Karl have a crush on Eve from Wall-E?

On the Fastrack

One of your contractors did it I bet.

Safe Havens

"Hey, I can use all the free labor I can around here."

Recess

What is this, Wallace and Gromit?

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Midnight Moth posted:

On the Fastrack

Everyone who? Aren't most of the staff in this room right now? There's the big guy who's always sleeping, and...?

Midnight Moth
Sep 14, 2007

What the hell, dude??
I'm like, right here.

Tiggum posted:

Everyone who? Aren't most of the staff in this room right now? There's the big guy who's always sleeping, and...?
There's Fi, Samantha's (from Safe Havens) dad, Bob Shirt (the original protagonist), Dethany's security guard boyfriend, and random unnamed people that appear during meetings.

Howard Beale
Feb 22, 2001

It's like this, Peanut

Midnight Moth posted:

Recess

It's where you take one concept from Gary Larson, overcomplicate it, and call it a day.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.

Elissimpark posted:

Quick and nasty...

Nice.

Aardmania posted:

9 Chickweed Lane

"Sure, if you don't count the non-stop dry heaving."

The thing I like about these strips is how they display an understanding and appreciation of classical music beyond just knowing the names of some composers.

Howard Beale posted:

It's where you take one concept from Gary Larson, overcomplicate it, and call it a day.

Looking forward to his version of Cow Tools.

Have some Tom Gauld strips, since I like him still

If you're in Canada he's got a book tour this week.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Mr. Squishy posted:

The thing I like about these strips is how they display an understanding and appreciation of classical music beyond just knowing the names of some composers.
I'm not really sure Commando is actually classical music, but it is a classic that Brookian concert goers wouldn't recognise on the piano.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

"Good sufferin' gosh! He'll fold like a cheap suit for Honey's getaway sticks!" - a modern teenager

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
Skippy (February 8, 1928)

Peanuts (April 10, 1968)

Funky Winkerbean

Popeye

Rip Haywire

With great power comes great responsibility.

Out Our Way (December 17-18, 1926)

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Women's Circuit Bender Union Local 34

In today's installment of "Gettin' Mad at Luann":
1. Yep, when I'm doing a messy art project like papier mache, I find the best place to do it is on my bed, not, say, in the kitchen, basement, or outside.
2. I've done masks like that (with plaster). You cut the drat straws down so they don't fall out of your nose and you can actually breathe through them.
3. I can only hope the punchline to this is that Luann has failed to put Vaseline on her face, and Quill rips her eyebrows out when he takes the mask off.

quote:

Juliet Jones

...but thankfully Julet also posts Juliet, which I have fallen in love with. Thanks for posting these! Been a fan for a while and couldn't remember if I ever thanked you for it. :)
(sidenote to Julet: where does your avatar text come from? It seems familiar but I can't place it. Did it come from one of these threads?)

BlankIsBeautiful
Apr 4, 2008

Feeling a little inadequate?
Jane's World

Non Sequitur

C'mon Flo, I'm sure you guys have heard of NASCAR in Maine.

Phoebe and Her Unicorn

Should be a Kliban Cats but nope, it's just billed as a regular old Kliban

If the switch was turned off, it would stop leaking. :v: My late Grandmother was a Mennonite, and she insisted that all the outlets in the house must be occupied with plugs. She didn't want the electricity to leak out.

9 Chickweed Lane 4/8/2004

Not bad, Brooke, I smiled at that.

Zits

Kevin & Kell

So, over the last week or so, they apparently made up and are back together?

Well, it's the truth.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

JacquelineDempsey posted:

3. I can only hope the punchline to this is that Luann has failed to put Vaseline on her face, and Quill rips her eyebrows out when he takes the mask off.
Like her parents would allow her access to a lubricant.

Cricken_Nigfops
Oct 25, 2011

CROM!
Cul-de-sac

Well, yes, if she hadn't already pulled Dill's head clean off.

The Creeps... still hasn't updated?

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!
Monty

Mike du Jour

Intelligent Life

Retail

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

The Dinette Set crosses over with Retail.

Working Daze has never heard of graphical adventures.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
That's where the big money is, in 2015. Text adventure games. Triple A titles like Zork and Space Quest.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit
An adventure game using entirely non-verbal clues? That could be interesting.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Johnny Aztec posted:

An adventure game using entirely non-verbal clues? That could be interesting.

Like Journey of a Roach?

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

dirksteadfast posted:

I don't think we're meant to agree with or root for Calvin all the time, and Watterson wasn't afraid to show Calvin's actions having negative consequences (or be straight up put in his place by Hobbes). But I always got the sense that at his core he's a good person with a lot of potential once he started to apply himself.

Calvin is essentially a Wile E. Coyote figure. The strip generally follows a shenanigans-comeuppance format and outside of a few rare arcs like the bully arcs Calvin is largely the architect of his own misery, often through "inventions" malfunctioning in absurd and impossible ways. Even so, I do think that people generally remember the strip better for the sequences where Calvin's imagination is his own antagonist, as opposed to having him antagonize Suzy or the adults that are in charge of him.

The art is a big part of why people gush about C & H so much, though. Look at dat fuckin art:

Darthemed posted:

Calvin and Hobbes

Watterson draws the hell out of these strips. Like, the chair upholstery is super busy (I think Watterson calls himself out on this in some of the annotated compilations) but that's not really characteristic of most of the strip's run--he generally does a great job with conservation of background detail. And these are just two random pre-sabbatical dailies--later in the strip's run Watterson had enough pull to get away with more creative layouts and formats, letting him do things in terms of art that literally no other comic in mainstream newspaper publishing was allowed to do.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Emmy Lou

Mandrake the Magician

The Phantom

Good Listener
Sep 2, 2006

Ask me about moons
Fact #1 The Moon is really cool
Calvin and Hobbes also had so many dinosaurs. And sometimes, they were in F-14s.

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

GorfZaplen posted:

The Phantom

I hope the next couple of strips are Colonel Week's losing his poo poo at how lax the dress code at the Jungle Patrol has become.

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Tina's Groove

Family Circus

Rose is Rose

One Big Happy

Foob

Compu-Toon

Bizarro

Dilbert

Red Meat

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Calvin and Hobbes

Ripley's

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players
It's only 1/365 since the two of them were already born, probably even less since it's possible this was planned. Even if we just want the odds of three people sharing the same birthday it's only around 1/133400.

Bismuth
Jun 11, 2010

by Azathoth
Hell Gem

Midnight Moth posted:

Recess

When did "dogs like to chase cats" (true) become this cliche of "dogs want to exterminate cats from existence"/"cats and dogs are MORTAL ENEMIES and dogs will be ostracized from their own kind if they are friends with a cat" thing? I see it done over to the point its really tired and often seems pointlessly cruel on the side of the dog rather than funny in any way, especially when theres never any context given for why the dog should hate the cat. Maybe I'm biased, in many dog/cat households I've been in they all get along or even seem to love each other. At least in Tom & Jerry there was usually some reason that the dog was pissed and they would put aside their differences if the need arose.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

butt dickus posted:

It's only 1/365 since the two of them were already born, probably even less since it's possible this was planned. Even if we just want the odds of three people sharing the same birthday it's only around 1/133400.

It's 1 in 48 million if you assume that the birthdays had to be on New Year's too.

null_user01013
Nov 13, 2000

Drink up comrades

ComradeCosmobot posted:

It's 1 in 48 million if you assume that the birthdays had to be on New Year's too.

It must be popping that night when the family goes out on new years for free pancakes at Denny's

Dr. Dos
Aug 5, 2005

YAAAAAAAY!
Seeing this Calvin and Hobbes storyline again just makes me wonder why Rosalyn didn't go to the neighbors and call the restaurant/locksmith/police.

My diagnosis:

Bad babysitting.

Midnight Moth
Sep 14, 2007

What the hell, dude??
I'm like, right here.

Bismuth posted:

When did "dogs like to chase cats" (true) become this cliche of "dogs want to exterminate cats from existence"/"cats and dogs are MORTAL ENEMIES and dogs will be ostracized from their own kind if they are friends with a cat" thing? I see it done over to the point its really tired and often seems pointlessly cruel on the side of the dog rather than funny in any way, especially when theres never any context given for why the dog should hate the cat. Maybe I'm biased, in many dog/cat households I've been in they all get along or even seem to love each other. At least in Tom & Jerry there was usually some reason that the dog was pissed and they would put aside their differences if the need arose.
Because 1) dogs and cats are the most common companion animals that everyone is familiar with and 2) every situation with some loose basis in reality gets exaggerated eventually to make it more interesting so having them at war with each other is the natural conclusion of that exaggeration.

Bismuth
Jun 11, 2010

by Azathoth
Hell Gem

Midnight Moth posted:

Because 1) dogs and cats are the most common companion animals that everyone is familiar with and 2) every situation with some loose basis in reality gets exaggerated eventually to make it more interesting so having them at war with each other is the natural conclusion of that exaggeration.

Yeah, I get exaggeration like in tom and Jerry and even Itchy and Scratchy but stuff like that comic I quoted and the dogs in pooch cafe are just boring one-sided abuse

Midnight Moth
Sep 14, 2007

What the hell, dude??
I'm like, right here.
There's a market for one-sided abuse entertainment. After all Dustin has a fanbase.

Aardmania
Jan 1, 2007

Ruining newspapers since 1993.

Shredded Hen
Piranha Club

Dick Tracy

Yes, it certainly is the name of a cartoon.

Judge Parker

9 Chickweed Lane

Don't worry, Seth will be back shortly with the box full of toasters.

Pibgorn

sweetguts
Apr 29, 2013

I know what I'm about.

sooooo what's the deal with Dilbert lately? is Scott Adams trying to make up for being a raging misogynist shithead in the past? or is this another one of those "lol irrational women getting mad over nothing" things like that time he spent a week joking about cutting off people's testicles

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

I read Theron's name as "The Ron" in that last strip and I have to say I kind of prefer that.

F Minus

Mary Worth

"Or, it did, and now you're here."

Rex Morgan MD

;-*

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Six Chix

Zippy the Pinhead

Nancy

Arlo and Janis

Andertoons

Lost Side of Suburbia

Dick Tracy

Inspector Danger's Crime Quiz

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Andorra
Dec 12, 2012

Wanamingo posted:

Inspector Danger's Crime Quiz

That's it. No Inspector Danger will beat this one.

• Locked thread