Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ronwayne
Nov 20, 2007

That warm and fuzzy feeling.

CitrusFrog posted:

The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Games > Traditional Games > Warhammer 40,000 Roleplay: Home is where the Saltiest Grognards Are

Hey hey, This isn't the D&D thread.

Or the Exalted thread (albiet, that's where things aren't saltiest, they just taste salty)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

whoa this guy's running a black crusade character as a bad person

this will not stand

Ronwayne
Nov 20, 2007

Well, there's cartoon villainy and real world villainy.

But this fucker is an actual real world cartoon villain, so I'm cool with it.

T Down Jacket: I think its mostly a case of who posted it. At this point Plutonis could post cat videos and probably receive large amounts of hate.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

WINNERSH TRIANGLE
Aug 17, 2011

Important question. My psyker recently had her skin acid-peeled off by a horrible critical wound result, and is very seriously injured. I'm rapidly working my way through my fate points trying to stave off infection and work our way through to the end of the current assignment, banish the demon, etc, but at some point when we get back to our Inquisitor, I need to put some serious thought into long-term medical attention. It's been suggested that there may be some complications wrt. the healing process, especially since she had a malignancy-induced psychic burn scars over most of her body beforehand, so I might need to look into getting some sort of artificial replacement, which our Inquisitor will hopefully spring for what with the whole heroic daemon-banishing thing. It'd haemorrhage Subtlety, but we've never been great at that as a group and she's not very subtle anyway, and it would fit in with her character theme of going beyond the pale and throwing humanity away in an attempt to be 'right' and 'normal'. So, any suggestions for a suitably 40k impermeable epidermal barrier?

- gold leaf
- ceramic
- wrought iron
- the bones of a slightly larger person, ideally a holy and blessed member of the Ecclesiarchy
- something else? idk ... ???

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Obviously you should be flaying your enemies and wearing their skins over your mangled body, replacing them as they wither and begin to putrefy.

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008
Dreadnought imo

Elukka
Feb 18, 2011

For All Mankind
Just learn to stave off infection and pain through psychic means. Why even have a skin?

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008
Wot if the psyker is knocked unconscious

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

Shadow Isaac posted:

I love how humor is literally a foreign concept to you people.

At a first pass, I was like "wait, is this grog?"

Then I read it again and realized "Hey, it's Black Crusade so the whole point is to be cartoonishly villainous without going into any creepy territory, and few things are more cartoonishly villainous (and yet real to life) than MRAs."

Also, Re: Plutonis. I learned in the Imp Zone that when you argue with him, the end result is you going:

HURP
*takes poo poo*
:downs:

WINNERSH TRIANGLE posted:

Important question. My psyker recently had her skin acid-peeled off by a horrible critical wound result, and is very seriously injured. I'm rapidly working my way through my fate points trying to stave off infection and work our way through to the end of the current assignment, banish the demon, etc, but at some point when we get back to our Inquisitor, I need to put some serious thought into long-term medical attention. It's been suggested that there may be some complications wrt. the healing process, especially since she had a malignancy-induced psychic burn scars over most of her body beforehand, so I might need to look into getting some sort of artificial replacement, which our Inquisitor will hopefully spring for what with the whole heroic daemon-banishing thing. It'd haemorrhage Subtlety, but we've never been great at that as a group and she's not very subtle anyway, and it would fit in with her character theme of going beyond the pale and throwing humanity away in an attempt to be 'right' and 'normal'. So, any suggestions for a suitably 40k impermeable epidermal barrier?

The correct answer is skulls.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

- gold leaf
- ceramic
- wrought iron
- the bones of a slightly larger person, ideally a holy and blessed member of the Ecclesiarchy

Obviously the most 40K choice is gold leaf ceramic wrought-iron hung with the bones of * where * is:

Dark Heresy: psykers twisted in telekinetic death agony at the feet of the Golden Throne itself; in total silence the psyker can hear the echo of their screams
Rogue Trader: xenos beings scrimshawed with alien runes that are pleasing to the eye and yet never seem quite the same on repeated viewings; in total darkness they shimmer with a blasphemous unlight
Black Crusade: servants of the corpse-god slaughtered in ritual sacrifice; they forever drip with the blood of the slain and smoulder with the sweet fragrance of death

Ronwayne
Nov 20, 2007

- gold leaf
- ceramic
- wrought iron

Well, Fabius bile uses the skin from obese vatgrown slaves to cover his kit-bashed space marines, so depending on how radical (in both sense of the word) you and your Inquisitor are, you could be wearing someone's skin that actually fits.

Nihnoz
Aug 24, 2009

ararararararararararara

DOWN JACKET FETISH posted:

whoa this guy's running a black crusade character as a bad person

this will not stand

It's not even a BC character, it's the main villain of an RT game.

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

I MAKE FUN OF QUEER STORYGAMES BECAUSE I HAVE NOTHING BETTER TO DO WITH MY LIFE THAN MAKE OTHER PEOPLE CRY

I can't understand these kinds of games, and not getting it bugs me almost as much as me being weird

- gold leaf
- ceramic
- wrought iron
Collodial silver; antiseptic, Sacred, and puts you in serious contention for a Warrsnt of Trade.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Nihnoz posted:

It's not even a BC character, it's the main villain of an RT game.

It was stupid of me to have spilled the beans too quickly I should have waited how many indignant goons would complain at the obvious villain speech by the more obvious bad guy.

WINNERSH TRIANGLE
Aug 17, 2011

Ashcans posted:

Obviously you should be flaying your enemies and wearing their skins over your mangled body, replacing them as they wither and begin to putrefy.

Ronwayne posted:

Well, Fabius bile uses the skin from obese vatgrown slaves to cover his kit-bashed space marines, so depending on how radical (in both sense of the word) you and your Inquisitor are, you could be wearing someone's skin that actually fits.

We are nominally a Puritannical group, although we have barely any Inquisitorial oversight and a lot of the party have got pretty dodgy soul-wise ... hmm, will probably keep these ones behind my ear in case we ever go over to the other side.

Waroduce posted:

Dreadnought imo

Not pretty enough/imposes penalties on focus power checks.

Elukka posted:

Just learn to stave off infection and pain through psychic means. Why even have a skin?

Waroduce posted:

Wot if the psyker is knocked unconscious

Considered doing this, since you can sustain powers indefinitely now without a test - there was a while where I went around wreathed in a sustained manipulate fire effect to impress a clan of feral voidborn into thinking I was a prophet - but yeah, the going to sleep/unconsciousness thing would be a problem, and I don't want to invest in biomancy or telekinesis, both of which are deeply inferior to (and not as stylish as) the True Power disciplines of divination and pyromancy.

LuiCypher posted:

The correct answer is skulls.

Arglebargle III posted:

Obviously the most 40K choice is gold leaf ceramic wrought-iron hung with the bones of * where * is:

Dark Heresy: psykers twisted in telekinetic death agony at the feet of the Golden Throne itself; in total silence the psyker can hear the echo of their screams
Rogue Trader: xenos beings scrimshawed with alien runes that are pleasing to the eye and yet never seem quite the same on repeated viewings; in total darkness they shimmer with a blasphemous unlight
Black Crusade: servants of the corpse-god slaughtered in ritual sacrifice; they forever drip with the blood of the slain and smoulder with the sweet fragrance of death

Dark Heresy, so yeah, this works. We're currently on (and saving) Thaur, which is a giant cemetery world where the Askaellon Sector's richest and most holy get interred in bone orchards, so it's not like there'll be an absence of blessed bones to graft onto my flesh. I wonder if I can persuade the local Ecclesiarchy to release a few of them into my care ... otherwise, this:

Rockopolis posted:

Collodial silver; antiseptic, Sacred, and puts you in serious contention for a Warrsnt of Trade.

is actually a pretty good idea. iirc, colloidal silver doesn't have a decent antimicrobial effect, but metallic silver does kill off bacteria, so getting myself silver-gilt is a 100% good idea. Maybe have pentagrammic wards done while I'm at it.

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

ETA on you flaking out on that game?

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

I MAKE FUN OF QUEER STORYGAMES BECAUSE I HAVE NOTHING BETTER TO DO WITH MY LIFE THAN MAKE OTHER PEOPLE CRY

I can't understand these kinds of games, and not getting it bugs me almost as much as me being weird
Your Warp Phenomena is now

WINNERSH TRIANGLE
Aug 17, 2011

Viva Miriya posted:

ETA on you flaking out on that game?

Given that I've been attending it irl since May last year, I think your weird obsession might be a little misplaced?

Edit: ahaha it is you, drat you spend a lot on name changes.

WINNERSH TRIANGLE fucked around with this message at 17:35 on Apr 8, 2015

OB_Juan
Nov 24, 2004

Not every day is a good day.

Dinosaur Gum

So, any suggestions for a suitably 40k impermeable epidermal barrier?

Porcelain, like a doll.

Ronwayne posted:

Well, Fabius bile ... his kit-bashed space marines...

Not that I'd ever participate in kit-bashing Marines in a 40k rpg, but how did he manage this?

Ronwayne
Nov 20, 2007

Most educated geneticist/scientist in the galaxy, other than maybe some necron lords. He has DNA from primarchs and hundreds of space marines. His ultimate goal is to make a clone of the Emperor to puppet.

Also note they're not always chaos marines per se, even in the black crusade game there's several ways to bring humans up to be psudo space marines, stats wise.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Honestly, the way to be better than a space marine is "have a high psy rating."

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

arf arf put the money in the fuckin bag

Ronwayne posted:

Most educated geneticist/scientist in the galaxy, other than maybe some necron lords. He has DNA from primarchs and hundreds of space marines. His ultimate goal is to make a clone of the Emperor to puppet.

Also note they're not always chaos marines per se, even in the black crusade game there's several ways to bring humans up to be psudo space marines, stats wise.

Yeah fabius bile is one of very few marines still around from the pre-heresy who hasn't devolved into a senseless lunatic or become practically a demon.

Ronwayne
Nov 20, 2007

I mean of course he's a dick but he keeps to newcron lord levels of sassiness.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

is actually a pretty good idea. iirc, colloidal silver doesn't have a decent antimicrobial effect, but metallic silver does kill off bacteria, so getting myself silver-gilt is a 100% good idea. Maybe have pentagrammic wards done while I'm at it.

Colloidal silver is by definition a liquid though (silver suspended in liquid) so it doesn't make sense as a mask/skin material.

Honestly the practical way is to cover it in (horrifying) skin grafts and then cover the grafts with this thing you're doing so you don't have to deal with issues like infection constantly or be constantly handwaving.

Silver skin would become problematic in that B)it is an excellent conductor of electricity when human skin is actually a decent voltage barrier and C)it is an excellent conductor of heat and D) it tarnishes and scratches really easily.

Arglebargle III fucked around with this message at 04:54 on Apr 9, 2015

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Arglebargle III posted:

Colloidal silver is by definition a liquid though (silver suspended in liquid) so it doesn't make sense as a mask/skin material.

Honestly the practical way is to cover it in (horrifying) skin grafts and then cover the grafts with this thing you're doing so you don't have to deal with issues like infection constantly or be constantly handwaving.

Silver skin would become problematic in that A) it is an effective biocide and would kill human cells when placed in direct contact with blood and internal organs B)it is an excellent conductor of electricity when human skin is actually a decent voltage barrier and C)it is an excellent conductor of heat and D) it tarnishes and scratches really easily.

And E) There's precedent for it in 40k. A couple of primarchs and one Imperial Army general in the Horus Heresy books have had foil-thin layers of gold painted onto their faces for diplomatic functions.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

He's talking about replacing the skin entire.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Arglebargle III posted:

He's talking about replacing the skin entire.

Sounds hosed up. That's a recommendation for doing it, by the way.

Ronwayne
Nov 20, 2007

Also congrats man, your PC is now the gimpsuit assassin chick from the DH 1 books.

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

Ronwayne posted:

Also congrats man, your PC is now the gimpsuit assassin chick from the DH 1 books.

Fuuuuck why would you ever remind people of that.

Ronwayne
Nov 20, 2007

Hey now. I could've compared her to twin-pigtails-chain-katana from the front cover.

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

Ronwayne posted:

Hey now. I could've compared her to twin-pigtails-chain-katana from the front cover.

Thats actually what I was thinking of...I'm so glad the FFG art department didnt go in that direction.

Ronwayne
Nov 20, 2007

Did I mention how much I liked the art in Only War? Because in DH2 they brought back that godawful Nightmare Before Christmas fanart style.

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

Ronwayne posted:

Did I mention how much I liked the art in Only War? Because in DH2 they brought back that godawful Nightmare Before Christmas fanart style.

Only War had great art then all the good artists went to work on star wars apparently.

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

Real men don't use bolters.
I need help building two characters for DH2. A cadian officer, in the edmund blackadder tradition. And a balls-out tech-priest dedicated to destruction of the imperiums enemies.

For the first im thinking Noble, IG and hierophant with the BS aptitude. For the second it's probably forgeworld, techpriest (duh) and then either warrior, assasin or desperado maybe? Halp. Also im stumped on what to do with my XP

DJ Dizzy fucked around with this message at 02:26 on Apr 10, 2015

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011
For full on Secutor I'd say Warrior.

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

Asehujiko posted:

For full on Secutor I'd say Warrior.

This and then ask your GM if you can buy the Machinator Array Talent from the Inquisitor's Handbook for more Secutor shenanigans

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
I've got a weird idea in my head about Deathwatch vs the LibertariOrks of Silly-Kill Valley. Possibly involving a loosely aligned collective of Meks who are seeking to remove the squishy organic element from their war machines while striking down any stoopid warboss who attempts to control them.

I don't think there's actually enough for a mission there though.

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

I always though a Mek coalition mass-producing Deff Dredds and Killa Kans would be a decent threat. Picture an Ork horde, but instead of Orks they're all Dreadnoughts. I think the tin cans don't really get a shot at being Nobz, so, less infighting, too.
Of course, this was around the time Wolfenstein: New Order came out, so I figure they're built with slave labor on a captured Forge World, run by Big Mek Deffskull.

edit
Also, Jimi Hendrix. A Noise Marine?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

Real men don't use bolters.
I ended up going with the guardsman officer, and then rolled a total of 10 wounds. :negative: