Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

They would have to be REALLY cheap to be worth it. They're the cheap end tvs to begin with, and they've been run for a year constantly being wiped down by a monkey with a rag.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
I was in the Target in 'Stoon about a week after the "Peace - we out!" announcement. The store hadn't been devastated, yet, there were some empty shelves but it was surprisingly non-depressing. Then I saw the big posters by the outside door (I came in from the mall) where they're selling the store infrastructure.

You like those giant metal shelves? Give us a call!
I imagine the mall has assigned some extra security to keep overzealous low-level managers from ripping out the copper wiring from the walls, or pulling up floor tiles.

Getting back to my Summer Truck idea, I've determined that I'll be living in Alberta from early May until late August - I'm not going to move into an apartment here in Kitchener/Waterloo until September, and just leave my stuff (and my car) at my friends' place here. They're cool with this plan, and it'll save me rent money for 5 months, which is great.

I'll have an Alberta address - the house our lab is renting all summer near our field site - but probably not an Alberta driver's license. I'll call CAA on Monday and try to figure this out. I know some of you guys have driven vehicles home from other provinces, are there special rules for registering a car for like a week that lets you, say, buy a car in B.C. and drive it home to AB?

I was poking around Edmonton Kijiji yesterday, and it looks like I should be able to get something suitable for around $2500. I'm liking the Chevy/GMC C/K 1500 suggestion, but I don't think I'll need a full-size truck and the better fuel economy of a compact is pretty appealing. Something like a Ranger or S-10, or even the Mazda "We scraped the badges off the Ranger" B-series or a Nissan Hardbody. Toyota trucks in that budget range all seem to be heavily modified hunting / mudding trucks, with the more suitable (to me) "SR5" and Tacoma models keeping a higher value. On the other hand, the Edmonton area is overflowing with F-150 and C/K 1500 in every possible combination of options and brain-damage to the sellers (seriously, how loving hard is it to stab out "pickup" on your sweat-encrusted iPhone 4, jackass?).

The other feature I'll want is a canopy. I'll be putting a canoe on it and a hard cover is much better for when I move the rest of my stuff from Saskatoon to Ontario at the end of the summer. Is it better to spend more for a truck that already has one, or shop around for a deal on a second-hand one that fits whatever truck I end up buying? Annoyingly, the main websites I can find for the manufacturers insist on never talking about actual cost, but poking around comes up with around $750 for second-hand canopies. Is this a thing you can get a good deal on at a wrecker?

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

I found the Target closeouts to be pretty lame. Most everything was still on par with or only slightly cheaper than paying full pop somewhere else.
I was actually in the market for a TV right when the sale started, and the only decent deals were on display units under 40". The rest was still cheaper at Best Buy. Visions' "WE BOUGHT ALL OF TARGET'S WAREOUSE STOCK BLOWOUT SALE!!!1" was pretty hilarious too, considering 90% of the stuff they advertised was actually stuff Target never even stocked. And everything was also still cheaper at BB.
Wound up with a discontinued LG 60" LED/VA for about the cost of an equivalent plasma, can you guess where?
Also when Zellers was closing out one store had a shitpile of OE PS2 memory cards for like a buck a piece, could have made a decent little profit on eBay or something but gently caress trying to deal with a few dozen ebay buyers simultaneously.

Turbo Fondant fucked around with this message at 18:04 on Apr 3, 2015

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep
The target near me was ravaged as soon as they announced they were closing. Nothing was even on sale yet. It made no sense at all.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

ExecuDork posted:

The other feature I'll want is a canopy. I'll be putting a canoe on it and a hard cover is much better for when I move the rest of my stuff from Saskatoon to Ontario at the end of the summer. Is it better to spend more for a truck that already has one, or shop around for a deal on a second-hand one that fits whatever truck I end up buying? Annoyingly, the main websites I can find for the manufacturers insist on never talking about actual cost, but poking around comes up with around $750 for second-hand canopies. Is this a thing you can get a good deal on at a wrecker?
I see box canopies far less now than even just 5-10 years ago. Wreckers are certainly a possibility, but if you go with a small truck you are going to have especially slim pickings. Box covers are quite plentiful though, might have better luck that way unless you need the height for your gear.

Regarding OOP registering, there is indeed a time limit (6 months IIRC?) but your practical limit is going to be how long it has current registration/insurance. If you buy a truck in Alberta, other than maybe temporary in-transit papers, you're kind of going to have to register it in Alberta pdq anyhow, aren't you? It's not like you are going to get Ontario plates on it or anything right?

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
Yeah, I'll be registering it in AB right away. Will I need an AB license to do that, or just an AB address?

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

I don't think you need an Alberta license, but to be honest I'm not 100% sure about it. The Service Alberta website is a little ambiguous as they only talk about an Alberta registration requirement, not a license requirement.. although the absence of mentioning an Alberta license leads me to think it's not required.

You might want to try calling a registry agent/AMA to find out for sure or call Service Alberta directly @ 780-427-2711 but only Mon-Fri

https://www.servicealberta.ca/572.cfm

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Are all Red Deerites incredibly naive and trusting?

Selling the Subaru, this kid can't get all the money yesterday so he gives me a $760 deposit. We meet at the place I store it (not my place), he just hands me the money and doesn't want a note or anything. To me that's an insane amount of money to put down for a deposit and have nothing in writing.

F1DriverQuidenBerg fucked around with this message at 23:04 on Apr 4, 2015

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

That stinks of desperate overreaching and young kid naiveté.

We've probably all been there to some extent or another earlier in life. I know I have.

iv46vi
Apr 2, 2010

1500quidporsche posted:

Are all Red Deerites incredibly naive and trusting?

Selling the Subaru, this kid can't get all the money yesterday so he gives me a $760 deposit. We meet at the place I store it (not my place), he just hands me the money and doesn't want a note or anything. To me that's an insane amount of money to put down for a deposit and have nothing in writing.

He might ask you for a return "favour" of not so legal type like leaving your plate on the car "just until he gets his insurance straigthtened out". But the weird amount of the deposit indicates he just gave you all the money he had on him. Did you tell him deposits are non refundable?

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Supposed to meet him in 45 minutes, plate will be off before I get there.

Didn't say the deposit was non refundable just because he seemed like a really naive kid that really wants the car and scraped together every dollar he had for a deposit. He tried to low ball me to $2k, told him I had a buyer on sunday and he bounced right back up to the asking price of $3k.

F1DriverQuidenBerg fucked around with this message at 02:19 on Apr 5, 2015

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
Reward this kid for his trust and honesty - knock a hundred off the price and give him a warning about trusting strangers. He's naive, yes, but good intentions deserve some reinforcement. Getting some needed advice from a stranger who he was right to trust will be at least as memorable as finding it out the hard way. And he'll have a much better "I was a dumb kid" story in a decade's time, too.

Thanks for the info, Slidebite, I"ll make some phone calls on Monday. Given I'll have the vehicle for less than 6 months in Alberta I suspect they've seen this kind of thing before. You can drive in a foreign country on an international driver's license for a year, an out-of-province Canadian license should be good for half a year.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Well sold it to him. Pretty straight forward, its the kid's first car which is a helluva lot better first car then my air cooled Ford Taurus. Got a little emotional when I heard it start up for the last time. RIP the SVX.

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

Glad that story had a non-terrible ending for you. :unsmith:
'Cause reading that shadetree garage post made me wince so hard my toes took half an hour to uncurl. I need to sell a car in the same price bracket soon and I'm really not looking forward to it after hearing about all that BS you went through.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep
SVX for the first car. That is a hell of an introduction to automotive ownership.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
Bye SVX! Best of luck to you on your next journeys.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Thank you for selling it before I did something stupid

DrakeriderCa
Feb 3, 2005

But I'm a real cowboy!
Honda RC51 powered Dirt bike

http://www.kijiji.ca/v-dirt-bikes-motocross/edmonton/honda-rc51-powered-dirt-bike-yup/1062741246

alberta as gently caress

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

'Kijiji Dude posted:

Bike is rideable as is.

:stare:
For a generous definition of "rideable" I guess, sure.

Also I just bought a hard side travel trailer. Anyone in the market for a 10 year old sweet as gently caress fleetwood aka coleman tent trailer? 10 foot, no bathroom.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

quote:

Approx 300lbs with 120hp

I... uh... how...? How can you possibly ride that? Twist the throttle, bike does a backflip and lands on your face.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

ExecuDork posted:

I... uh... how...? How can you possibly ride that? Twist the throttle, bike does a backflip and lands on your face.

You have to use your huge balls of steel as counterweights.

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Dreaming of Shock Diamonds

I wonder if the seller would entertain trades - such as my GL1100...

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

McTinkerson posted:

Do it. Do it now.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
at 300lbs, thats a heavy dirtbike. Pretty much weighs as much as a light sportbike.

DrakeriderCa
Feb 3, 2005

But I'm a real cowboy!

McTinkerson posted:

You have to at least try

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Seat Safety Switch posted:

Do it. Do it now.

DrakeriderCa posted:

You have to at least try

Email sent. Let's see how this shakes out.

Edit: Owner got back to me - trying to make room, so not looking for another bike. :(

McTinkerson fucked around with this message at 17:31 on Apr 8, 2015

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
I just got off the phone with a very friendly person at Service Alberta - Motor Vehicles. My Summer Truck idea is taking shape!

I won't need an Alberta license, I won't need to establish residency in Alberta, all I'll need is my out-of-province Canadian license (no problem) and an address in Alberta for the registration (we're renting a house for the summer). The only remaining question is insurance, which is a matter of "how much?" not "no can do". :)

Is there any form of the Ford Ranger - I'm looking at everything from the late 80's to the early 2000's - that I need to avoid? I have a vague memory of somebody here in AI talking about a Ford motor from that era that sucks balls. Is the Vulcan V6 a problem?

\/\/\/ Thank you! And how did I not know about your tumblr before now?

ExecuDork fucked around with this message at 22:11 on Apr 8, 2015

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
Yeah the Vulcan is total dogshit. Just ask kastein.

For reference:

http://seat-safety-switch.tumblr.com/post/112611391985/the-chronicles-of-ford-episode-two-vulcan

Aim for a 2.3L single spark or a later 2.5. Look out for rust, because Rangers like to. Frame, lower rocker panels, suicide doors on extended cabs.

Seat Safety Switch fucked around with this message at 22:03 on Apr 8, 2015

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

My first car was an 89 Ford Taurus. The Vulcan engine is a bag of poo poo that I have nothing but hate towards. I could live with the dribble of power that it struggles to put out if it was at all reliable.

Bulk Vanderhuge
May 2, 2009

womp womp womp womp
Checking in with all you Calgary goons.

SO is looking at doing her Masters in the fall and one of the contenders is U of C (one year MSW program.) One of the options is for both of us to move out there but we're not familiar with the rental housing and job market.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
There's not a great story here around renting. For a short while last summer, it was actually cheaper for mtg + utilities than to rent a home.

Job market is either screamingly bad or kind of ok, but it depends what you do.

Bulk Vanderhuge
May 2, 2009

womp womp womp womp
We have a lot of cats so it'll be difficult finding a place as it is. Vancouver, Toronto and Ottawa are contenders as well; there are some 2 bedroom apartments that aren't completely out of line in VN and TO. A lot of it depends on whether she gets into the military in time and what that entails. Then there's the fact that I'm planning on going back to school as well, right now all my work experience is in the automotive sector and I haven't done anything related to my BA at all.

It'd make sense for me to stay here in Winnipeg but I was recently laid off and it'd be nice to have a change of scenery.

What is it that you used to do?

Automotive electrical tech, something that I'm good at but would prefer not to continue doing :smith:

Bulk Vanderhuge fucked around with this message at 23:46 on Apr 8, 2015

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
What is it that you used to do?

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

There's not a great story here around renting. For a short while last summer, it was actually cheaper for mtg + utilities than to rent a home.

Guess when I bought a condo. :suicide:

DrakeriderCa
Feb 3, 2005

But I'm a real cowboy!
What's the opinion of ABAI on an S-15 or S-10 vs a Ranger? My dad had an S-15 with the 4.3 that I loved. Great truck.

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

DrakeriderCa posted:

What's the opinion of ABAI on an S-15 or S-10 vs a Ranger? My dad had an S-15 with the 4.3 that I loved. Great truck.

Paging SSW to the ABAI courtesy phone - paging SSW to the courtesy phone.

My dad had a '87 4wd S-10 Blazer as a beater for a few years - the body rusted away long before the drive train quit.

FB 13B's almost bolt right in to the Mazda B2200/Rangers.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
I personally prefer how the Ranger drives, but I like the reliable beefy power of the 4.3.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Going to jump in and ask for opinions on the Dakota as I'm looking at one tonight. Are they close enough to Dodge's full size trucks that it won't be constantly broken?

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

1500quidporsche posted:

Going to jump in and ask for opinions on the Dakota as I'm looking at one tonight. Are they close enough to Dodge's full size trucks that it won't be constantly broken?

I ran a 2001 Dakota with the 3.9 v6, 5 speed manual, and 2wd back when I was a courier. I also used it to tow my heavy tent trailer over and into the Rockies a bunch. Bought it used, ran it as a commercial vehicle for a while, then as a daily driver for years.

I put 3-500km on it per day for a year and it never gave me much mechanical trouble while I abused the piss out of it. Heavy loads, light loads, downtown traffic, many accelerations to highway speeds.

The bearings in the diff wore out, possibly due to PO fuckery, possibly just because of the kms I was putting on it. Clutch wore out like you would expect, brakes, etc. All normal wear stuff.

The catalytic converter failed, replaced under the 180k km emissions warranty.

It liked to eat batteries. They wouldn't fade, they'd be fine and then immediately dead fault. Could have been just use/climate related. I think I put three into it over the six or seven years that I owned it.

Don't use silverstar headlights. You'll be replacing them every three months. Regulars are fine.

I can't comment on the auto trans units, but the manual was great. Had this odd quirk where it would whistle like there was a chip in one if the gear faces when it got to below -6 degrees or so. My mechanic and I had it apart a couple times when he did the clutch, never found any problems. Thought it might have been the pilot bearing, but that was fine too. Either way, it was harmless.

If you're looking for something 95% as capable as a half ton in a 20% smaller package and slightly better fuel mileage, I wouldn't hesitate to recommend one.

E: regarding rust, mine had a bit in the rear wheel wells and the rear bumper. loving road salt. The bed had a factory plastic skin (think giant Rubbermaid bin) so I never noticed any there.

Slung Blade fucked around with this message at 16:56 on Apr 9, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Sounds reasonable. Kinda sucks because the Dakota is the only smaller truck wide enough to fit a kart in and I'd prefer a ranger. Every half ton Chevy I've looked at doesn't look like it'd hold its value well even though they'd probably be more reliable, at $1,200 the Dakota seems like the way to go.