Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Amergin posted:

Cop is being charged with murder. I don't see anything wrong with this picture - the justice system is working as designed.

If there weren't a third party recording the events the cop's statement would have been taken at face value. The system is not supposed to work by the chance presence of a cameraman.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Amergin
Jan 29, 2013

THE SOUND A WET FART MAKES
People commit crimes every day and get away with it. This time it happens to be a bad cop, and there's evidence of the crime, so he's being tried and will likely be punished accordingly.

Some folks are trying to tie this in with Michael Brown and other kids who've been killed recently but I don't see the connection other than "black person died." Hell the cop's partner was black and signed off on the cop's behavior when this cop faced previous accusations (which he was exonerated of).

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.

Stultus Maximus posted:

If there weren't a third party recording the events the cop's statement would have been taken at face value. The system is not supposed to work by the chance presence of a cameraman.

Especially when there are current laws that actually make it a crime to video tape cops.

hallebarrysoetoro
Jun 14, 2003

Amergin posted:

Some folks are trying to tie this in with Michael Brown and other kids who've been killed recently but I don't see the connection other than "black person died." Hell the cop's partner was black and signed off on the cop's behavior when this cop faced previous accusations (which he was exonerated of).

There were similarities of the public having to take the word of the police that Michael Brown and others had gone for their gun/made some aggressive action toward the cop. The police report for the shooting broke down exactly as you'd imagine. If there was no video, it would have been deemed a "good kill" most likely because the only people's word we have to go on is the people that need to justify the killing.

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill

Hollismason posted:

Especially when there are current laws that actually make it a crime to video tape cops.

Is this actually in the books for any other state than IL?

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

Joementum posted:

Quote of the morning, “It would be something more along the lines of what President Clinton did in December 1998 during Operation Desert Fox. Several days air and naval bombing against Iraq’s weapons of mass destruction facilities for exactly the same kind of behavior. For interfering with weapons inspectors and for disobeying Security Council resolutions. All we’re asking is that the president simply be as tough as in the protection of America’s national security interest as Bill Clinton was.” ~ Tom Cotton

For a man that was a commissioned officer in the Army, he has no idea how the military works.

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]

Sir Tonk posted:

For a man that was a commissioned officer in the Army
You should have stopped there because the point would have been unchanged.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!

Stultus Maximus posted:

Here is how it was reported before the video came out

http://www.abcnews4.com/story/28725562/coroner-identifies-man-shot-killed-by-north-charleston-police-officer

Or here is from the same paper before and after the video was released

Before: http://www.postandcourier.com/artic...d-investigating

After: http://www.postandcourier.com/article/20150407/PC16/150409468

In the bigger picture, for charges to be brought this quickly suggests that the non-public information about this is incriminating, rather than exculpatory. And they would have buried it if not for the video

The North Charleston police department received a heap of money for body cams in January btw

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.

nutranurse posted:

Is this actually in the books for any other state than IL?

Well by on the books, if you mean city ordinances, then yes. It's not a uncommon City Ordinance. Now for a state by state, I'd have to go look into research but I know these types of laws are becoming more common.

baw
Nov 5, 2008

RESIDENT: LAISSEZ FAIR-SNEZHNEVSKY INSTITUTE FOR FORENSIC PSYCHIATRY

Fried Chicken posted:

http://www.abcnews4.com/story/28725562/coroner-identifies-man-shot-killed-by-north-charleston-police-officer

In the bigger picture, for charges to be brought this quickly suggests that the non-public information about this is incriminating, rather than exculpatory. And they would have buried it if not for the video

The North Charleston police department received a heap of money for body cams in January btw

quote:

Police and witnesses say Scott tried to run from Slager before turning to fight for the officer's Taser. It was during that scuffle that the officer fired his service weapon, fatally wounding Scott.

who exactly were these loving witnesses

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

The Highest Judge of Paradise
Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

Fried Chicken posted:

Of course it was near Remount, hopefully the nearby mall and chain restaurants to the north will be burned to the ground in the coming riots.

Edit: Hopefully they start with Olive Garden.

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

baw posted:

George Zimmerman was taking a break from domestic violence.

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

Amergin posted:

so he's being tried and will likely be punished accordingly.

I do not consider this to be in any way a guarantee, and after watching cops get acquitted for strangling a man to death on camera last year, I'm not even sure if I'd consider such an outcome as "likely."

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Fried Chicken posted:

Lots of the typical types of people in the comments of that first article talking about how clearly it's unfortunate but this sort of thing happens when you try and resist arrest or run from police.

Kempo Yellow Belt
Jan 5, 2012
Fun Shoe

Sir Tonk posted:

For a man that was a commissioned officer in the Army, he has no idea how the military works.

The officer corps is hosed.

I think most GiPs would agree with this statement.

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

Amergin posted:

People commit crimes every day and get away with it. This time it happens to be a bad cop, and there's evidence of the crime, so he's being tried and will likely be punished accordingly.

The connection is that police are institutionally encouraged to murder their way out of any situation because they will always receive the benefit of the doubt. Just read the news reports before/after video. Common civilians committing crimes may get away with it but there is no institutional support behind them.

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
Another part of the connection is that there are tons of Fox News watchers who think that because the DOJ report on Mike Brown knocked down the "fleeing with hands up" thing, this type of event doesn't happen at all. They are now confronted with hard evidence.

Not that it will change their minds, necessarily . . .

baw
Nov 5, 2008

TheQat posted:

Another part of the connection is that there are tons of Fox News watchers who think that because the DOJ report on Mike Brown knocked down the "fleeing with hands up" thing, this type of event doesn't happen at all. They are now confronted with hard evidence.

Not that it will change their minds, necessarily . . .

They focus on the Mike Brown report and completely ignore the Ferguson PD one.

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

hobbesmaster posted:

Doesn't help that the typical democratic response to Jack Conway is "ugh". At least he's not Lunsford.

Maybe Democrats should head off the gay thing by running Jim Gray.

Governor Jim Gray would be troublesome but I would back the hell out of him if he wanted to run for Senate

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

JT Jag posted:

You can pretend to do that without actually enacting any laws. Come on, give me facts, numbers, figures that politicians could use to sell welfare programs in ads.

I like MIGF more when he's doing this because he is regrettably right about how a lot of domestic politics works.

Still catching up with the thread, but there's actually a lot of data on this.

quote:

Just one dollar of SNAP/Food Stamp benefits creates a “ripple effect” through the economy. A study by industry research firm Moody’s Economy.com looked at the potential impact of each stimulus dollar. According to economist Mark Zandi, “some provide a lot of bang for the buck to the economy. Others … don’t.” Zandi said that the study shows the fastest way to infuse money into the economy is through expanding the SNAP/Food Stamp program. “If someone who is literally living paycheck to paycheck gets an extra dollar, it’s very likely that they will spend that dollar immediately on whatever they need – groceries, to pay the telephone bill, to pay the electric bill,” he said. That single dollar helps to pay the salaries of the grocery clerks, pays the truckers who haul the food and produce cross-country, and finally goes to the farmer who grows the crops.

Plus, USDA research shows that each $5 of federal SNAP/Food Stamp benefits generates nearly twice that in economic activity.

http://frac.org/initiatives/american-recovery-and-reinvestment-act/snapfood-stamps-provide-real-stimulus/

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Thing is, it doesn't matter how much in economic activity it generates. Thats such an aughties way of thinking. Is it revenue neutral?

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

baw posted:

Other cops who weren't there but reporters will interview off the record

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

My Imaginary GF posted:

Thing is, it doesn't matter how much in economic activity it generates. Thats such an aughties way of thinking. Is it revenue neutral?

If we raise taxes to 50%, yes! If we raise them to 51%, it's revenue positive. :v:

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

GlyphGryph posted:

If we raise taxes to 50%, yes! If we raise them to 51%, it's revenue positive. :v:

Solution: Implement consumption taxes upon food purchases, cut income taxes.

Now you're thinking like someone held accountable to the voters.

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun

My Imaginary GF posted:

Austerity now.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

And revenue needs to be defined as well. What's the time constraint? GAO rules? Are we using a primary budget system, or a structural one? Is this a deficit or debt issue?

Also, revenue is directly linked to GDP.

Kafka Esq.
Jan 1, 2005

"If you ever even think about calling me anything but 'The Crab' I will go so fucking crab on your ass you won't even see what crab'd your crab" -The Crab(TM)

My Imaginary GF posted:

Now you're thinking like someone held accountable to the voters people who haven't gone grocery shopping for a long time.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Yes, those are the voters.

Look at nonwhite turnout throughout America. Its like folks don't even want to prevent cuts in foodstamps.

radical meme
Apr 17, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Ballz posted:

I do not consider this to be in any way a guarantee, and after watching cops get acquitted for strangling a man to death on camera last year, I'm not even sure if I'd consider such an outcome as "likely."

Personally, I hope this officer takes a plea instead of forcing a trial because it is in fact very possible that a jury in South Carolina could find him not guilty and give him a big hug after the trial for shooting a fleeing suspect with outstanding warrants.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

I'm still waiting on you to define your terms, Imaginary GF.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

My Imaginary GF posted:

Why is this not probatable?

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun

My Imaginary GF posted:

Yes, those are the voters.

Look at nonwhite turnout throughout America. Its like folks don't even want to prevent cuts in foodstamps.
Perhaps they're too busy working while living in states where they're actively trying to suppress minority voting :monocle:

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!

You realize the VAT he is proposing is how it's done in the rest of the western world, right?

baw
Nov 5, 2008

FlamingLiberal posted:

Other cops who weren't there but reporters will interview off the record

So they won't be identified or charged with anything?

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

I'm looking for highlights of horrible things republican state legislatures have done with their majorities recently. I'm thinking of thr abortion ban and the petty ebt restrictions mentioned in the last few pages. Anyone help me out?

skaboomizzy
Nov 12, 2003

There is nothing I want to be. There is nothing I want to do.
I don't even have an image of what I want to be. I have nothing. All that exists is zero.

Ron Jeremy posted:

I'm looking for highlights of horrible things republican state legislatures have done with their majorities recently. I'm thinking of thr abortion ban and the petty ebt restrictions mentioned in the last few pages. Anyone help me out?

Pretty much anything in NC from the last few years is a good place to start.

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

Amergin posted:

I have to say I sometimes wish I had your confidince in the justice system Amergin.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.

Just throwing things out there but Reasons that Cop won't go to jail because:

1. He will say he had PTSD , he'll get a psychiatrist to state that much like a soldier in a battle he was in a tense situation that trigged his PTSD which made him believe the fleeing suspect was going to endanger others.

2. He will say that the suspect told him before running away that he was " Running away to rape and murder some white kids"

Hollismason fucked around with this message at 17:56 on Apr 8, 2015

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Ghost of Reagan Past posted:

Perhaps they're too busy working while living in states where they're actively trying to suppress minority voting :monocle:

Doesn't matter, voting is a binary thing, not a wishy washy do they don't they maybe they're too busy kinda thing.

Turnout is down, so why pass legislation which benefits individuals who don't vote?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Fried Chicken posted:

You realize the VAT he is proposing is how it's done in the rest of the western world, right?

You realize the VAT as implemented in most of the western world is horribly regressive?

• Locked thread