Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Motto
Aug 3, 2013

It's always funny when goons are stumped by games for young children.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Artix posted:

Wait, what? No, you go into the woods because it's the only place available to you when you first arrive at Southern Swamp. You follow the monkey to the witch, she says to get her something that gives her strength. You leave the woods, and surprise, there's a potion shop literally right outside (which you probably found on the way to the woods to begin with). You go in there, Kotake gives you a bottle with Red Potion and explicitly tells you to take it to Koume. Doesn't take a rocket scientist to put it all together there.

No. You get to the witchs hut, the witch flies into the woods, so you follow her. You meet the monkey and he's like...follow me. Then you follow him to the witch. She says, where is my sister? So you leave the woods and start looking for her and don't immediately go right back in the woods because you were just there.

E: if you go back into the woods, then the monkey takes you to the witch who wants the potion and it's straightforward. My beef is there is nothing that tells you to go back in the woods. Nothing to indicate where the witch might be. The first time I found the first sister was on day 3 so I wandered around till it was getting late and reset. When I went back it was day one and got the same situation. This time I went back into the woods after I had saved and forgotten whether I had gone in or not. I had and so I met sister.

Waltzing Along fucked around with this message at 04:42 on Apr 8, 2015

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
The with doesn't fly into the woods till like halfway through the second day, why are you taking so long to get there?

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.
I think Kotake (or whoever the healthy witch is) can actually be either in the forest or in the potion shop depending on the current time and day. Either way, you can just figure it out by exploring a little.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Waltzing Along posted:

When I went back it was day one and got the same situation.

Kotake doesn't leave the hut on the first day.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Artix posted:

Wait, what? No, you go into the woods because it's the only place available to you when you first arrive at Southern Swamp. You follow the monkey to the witch, she says to get her something that gives her strength. You leave the woods, and surprise, there's a potion shop literally right outside (which you probably found on the way to the woods to begin with). You go in there, Kotake gives you a bottle with Red Potion and explicitly tells you to take it to Koume. Doesn't take a rocket scientist to put it all together there.

Seriously, I don't know if the N64 is different from the 3DS version in this regard, but on the 3DS at least you have to be literally retarded to not figure this out.
- The boathouse, which is the first house you get to, is where the witch works, but the other guy there tells you she hasn't been in and you should check with her sister at the potion shop.
- Her sister at the potion shop says that she's not there because she went into the forest to get mushrooms.
- The monkey at the entrance to the forest says "yo there's some lady who hurt herself in the forest, I'll lead you to her"

Like, I don't even know if I like the game that much yet because it seems to have all the stuff I hated about Ocarina, but that part at least is very clearly spelled out for you if you do crazy things like "talk to the NPCs"

Waltzing Along posted:

E: if you go back into the woods, then the monkey takes you to the witch who wants the potion and it's straightforward. My beef is there is nothing that tells you to go back in the woods.

I don't understand where you're confused, if the bitch said "hey go get me a potion from your sister" how do you not piece together "hmm, maybe I should find the sister, get the potion, and bring it back here"?

raditts fucked around with this message at 06:45 on Apr 8, 2015

Nickoten
Oct 16, 2005

Now there'll be some quiet in this town.

raditts posted:

I don't understand where you're confused, if the bitch said "hey go get me a potion from your sister" how do you not piece together "hmm, maybe I should find the sister, get the potion, and bring it back here"?

I think what happened here was that he went to the woods for the first time later in the cycle, and saw the event where one of them is in the forest looking for her sister. There's no indication that leaving, then going back in and following the same monkey will take you to a different witch if you've never encountered this event before.

I never ran into this problem because when I came across the second event (where they're both in the forest), I had already done it once on the first day. So I suppose I could see how someone would find this unintuitive.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Waltzing Along posted:

No. You get to the witchs hut, the witch flies into the woods, so you follow her. You meet the monkey and he's like...follow me. Then you follow him to the witch. She says, where is my sister? So you leave the woods and start looking for her and don't immediately go right back in the woods because you were just there.

E: if you go back into the woods, then the monkey takes you to the witch who wants the potion and it's straightforward. My beef is there is nothing that tells you to go back in the woods. Nothing to indicate where the witch might be. The first time I found the first sister was on day 3 so I wandered around till it was getting late and reset. When I went back it was day one and got the same situation. This time I went back into the woods after I had saved and forgotten whether I had gone in or not. I had and so I met sister.

The monkey keeps on running right past that first witch. Koume also says she's out in those woods looking for her sister.

Nickoten
Oct 16, 2005

Now there'll be some quiet in this town.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

The monkey keeps on running right past that first witch. Koume also says she's out in those woods looking for her sister.

Forgot about this part. I guess if you pay good attention the game gives you the clues you need anyway.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
I can see how that'd be confusing, yeah, but I wouldn't call it cryptic. Like, cryptic, to me, is finding tape to stick onto a fence that'll get some cat-hair stuck onto it that you can use as a mustache. This is more just player confusion due to unintentional sequence breaking. Like finding Talon before finding Malon in OoT.

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

I like the whole idea to set my controller to the N64 config controller scheme but I guess ever since Nintendo caved into the whole Smahs Bros. and Gamecube controllers thing for their Smash, I'm thinking that Nintendo should just go ahead and release some sort of hardware device (n64 pad)to be able to properly play old N64 games.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

I would buy one if I could take the stick out and use it to replace the powdery remnants of the N64 controllers I have

Hugoon Chavez
Nov 4, 2011

THUNDERDOME LOSER
I was in school when the first Mario Party came out for the N64 and I still remember the scar in the palm of my hand due to the "rotate the joystick like a mad man" games.

Anyone else had that nintendo stigmata experience? I'd rather leave the N64 controller buried in the past.

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

This inkling is your FRIEND
She fights for LOVE

Hugoon Chavez posted:

I was in school when the first Mario Party came out for the N64 and I still remember the scar in the palm of my hand due to the "rotate the joystick like a mad man" games.

Anyone else had that nintendo stigmata experience? I'd rather leave the N64 controller buried in the past.

No, but I weared out the skin on my thumb for playing Super Mario World like an obsessed individual back in the day. Eventually the pain became too much and I had to stop.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Waltzing Along posted:

As long as you get to the swamp on Day 1, while Kotake is still in the hut, this segment is pretty hard to screw up. And even if you don't, I believe she leaves a sign in the shop saying that she's gone out to look for Koume, thus prompting you to go back in he forest.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
Come on, Tropical Freeze, a level that's basically a continuous bottomless pit that requires perfect timing jumping between vines, and no checkpoints? That's just mean.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Twelve by Pies posted:

Come on, Tropical Freeze, a level that's basically a continuous bottomless pit that requires perfect timing jumping between vines, and no checkpoints? That's just mean.

You're on Bopopolis aren't you :getin:

The Lobster
Sep 3, 2011

Massive
Avian
Rear
Images

I love how I spawned this much discussion on Majora's Mask, a game I don't even dislike really, by posting what I clearly stated was an unpopular opinion while we were all posting unpopular opinions. I feel like some sort of God. Is this how a troll feels? Did I just troll the thread?

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

I think it was more the guy who couldn't figure out a very basic sequence of events in the swamp

Like what are the odds of someone beating a Zelda dungeon if they can't figure out how to get there in the first place

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
I could possibly see getting confused in the swamp/forest bit if you get there on day 2 or 3 and the other witch has left her shop and gone to the forest herself...but if you're there on Day 1, it really couldn't be clearer, short of the owl or Tatl or someone spelling out what to do step by step.

The Lobster
Sep 3, 2011

Massive
Avian
Rear
Images

Yeah I mean there are definitely some cryptic parts of MM... but even as a kid I didn't find that to be one of them.

jivjov posted:

I could possibly see getting confused in the swamp/forest bit if you get there on day 2 or 3 and the other witch has left her shop and gone to the forest herself...but if you're there on Day 1, it really couldn't be clearer, short of the owl or Tatl or someone spelling out what to do step by step.

Edit: ^^^^ And as we all know Majora's Mask was created in the era before games held your hand for the first fifty hours so there is thankfully no excess fairy interaction.

The Lobster fucked around with this message at 13:18 on Apr 8, 2015

Ultigonio
Oct 26, 2012

Well now.

The Lobster posted:

I love how I spawned this much discussion on Majora's Mask, a game I don't even dislike really, by posting what I clearly stated was an unpopular opinion while we were all posting unpopular opinions. I feel like some sort of God. Is this how a troll feels? Did I just troll the thread?
I stated my unpopular opinion about Yoshi's Story, but I was being sincere.

Also, yes.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Anime Curator posted:

I like the whole idea to set my controller to the N64 config controller scheme but I guess ever since Nintendo caved into the whole Smahs Bros. and Gamecube controllers thing for their Smash, I'm thinking that Nintendo should just go ahead and release some sort of hardware device (n64 pad)to be able to properly play old N64 games.

Better yet, let's not, because the N64 controller is one of the worst controllers ever made.

The Lobster
Sep 3, 2011

Massive
Avian
Rear
Images

Ultigonio posted:

I stated my unpopular opinion about Yoshi's Story, but I was being sincere.

Also, yes.

I was being sincere as well, but I love Zelda too much to hate any of it.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Anime Curator posted:

We already have one hard-to-find controller adapter for the WiiU, we don't need a second.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Lobster posted:

Edit: ^^^^ And as we all know Majora's Mask was created in the era before games held your hand for the first fifty hours so there is thankfully no excess fairy interaction.

HEY

LISTEN

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

"Thus," concluded Miyamoto, "you must give up everything you have to be my disciple."

I just checked the upcoming release list and it turns out you Americans already got Kirby back in February (fuckers.) How is it?

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

Katana Gomai posted:

I just checked the upcoming release list and it turns out you Americans already got Kirby back in February (fuckers.) How is it?

It's a pretty game, but mediocre otherwise.

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

I've seen fun you people wouldn't believe.
Tiki torches on fire off the summit of Kilauea.
I watched disco balls glitter in the dark near the Brandenburg Gate.
All those moments will be lost in time, like crowds in rain.

Time to sleep.

The Lobster posted:

I was being sincere as well, but I love Zelda too much to hate any of it.

I think it's mostly that when it comes to how cryptic a video game can be Majora's Mask is somewhere near the middle of the scale, if not like 3/4ths of the way to just not cryptic at all. Compared to old adventure games like King's Quest it's a cakewalk.

Fritzler
Sep 5, 2007

I got the Paper Mario game for Wii from a Club Nintendo reward so I could update it when the new version comes out. I'm having trouble connecting to my university's wifi on the wii side (although I can do it on the Wii U side). Anyone want the code?

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster

Dr. Fetus posted:

incorrect

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Katana Gomai posted:

It's extremely short. Very pretty, has a few really good levels, but overall there's not a lot to it. If you loved Canvas Curse and really want more, you'll probably like this too, but I think it feels more like an eShop game than a full retail release.

For comparison, people complained about Captain Toad being short, but this is even less substantial.

Hugoon Chavez
Nov 4, 2011

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Dr. Fetus posted:

We Euros have it too, btw.

Sorry you live in a country that hates fun.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

Katana Gomai posted:

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Hugoon Chavez posted:

Uh, we don't? It's only coming next month along with Code Name S.T.E.A.M.

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

"Thus," concluded Miyamoto, "you must give up everything you have to be my disciple."

Hugoon Chavez posted:

Sorry you live in a country that hates fun.

Release here is on May 8th. Thanks for all the feedback, it's only 2/3rds of a regular Wii U game's price so I think I'll get it.

Katana Gomai fucked around with this message at 16:29 on Apr 8, 2015

Hugoon Chavez
Nov 4, 2011

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Saoshyant posted:

I checked and you are right, which means the Kirby game I saw the other day at a CEX was either an American copy or a glitch in the matrix.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Saoshyant posted:

And apparently both Kirby and S.T.E.A.M aren't as good as folks thought it would be. I am okay with the delay in their releases.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Golden Goat posted:

And apparently both Kirby and S.T.E.A.M aren't as good as folks thought it would be. I am okay with the delay in their releases.

Fixing the long-rear end enemy turns probably goes a long way with S.T.E.A.M. though. That was the only real thing that annoyed me with the demo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Well, S.T.E.A.M. is supposedly fixed with a patch that speeds up enemy turns. The art style is still much a love or hate affair that will depend on you.

No idea how the Kirby game actually turned out. "Short, kind of shallow but really cute" seems to be the description of every Kirby game, so I don't see how that applies specifically more to this entry than the others :shrug:

Maybe the Americanos should let us know how they feel about it.

• Locked thread