Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Pretty much all angels are weird looking when actually described as themselves. The times they're described as looking like people is when they're explicitly pretending to be people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Disgusting Coward
Feb 17, 2014
Speaking of Event Horizon, when they find the video log of everyone murder-loving everyone else and the previous captain being all HERE'S MY EYEBALLS MAYBE Y'ALL SHOULD RUN who the gently caress filmed the video? Everyone else has been perverted into being a mutilating rapist except one dude who just wants to get that poo poo on Vine?

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

Frogfingers posted:

The book of revelations is some mind bending horror as well, so the reference is apt.

There really need to be more big-ticket Hollywood films about the horrifying parts of the bible. I'd pay $12.50 to see James Cameron's Revelation in a heartbeat :black101:

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Disgusting Coward posted:

Speaking of Event Horizon, when they find the video log of everyone murder-loving everyone else and the previous captain being all HERE'S MY EYEBALLS MAYBE Y'ALL SHOULD RUN who the gently caress filmed the video? Everyone else has been perverted into being a mutilating rapist except one dude who just wants to get that poo poo on Vine?

Actually he wanted it on WorldStar.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Like you said, it's the ship's log. The captain recorded it automatically.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Phanatic posted:

There's a common one in horror movies that bugs me.

That's the ship's engine. In-universe, it's supposed to be a completely innocuous thing, it makes the ship go. But because this is a horror movie, and the ship needs to be evil, the engine has to visually look like something that just exudes an aura of ickiness and "gently caress that poo poo, I'm waiting for the next ship."

Seriously, look at that thing. Even beyond the random spiky projections all around that would, like, hurt you real bad if you slipped and fell, and the multiple unscreened moving parts that would mangle you in at least three different axes if you hit some turbulence at speed, even the lighting is really poo poo. You can't just have a shitload of fluorescent overheads to make it easy to see? No, you can't, because it's a horror movie and you need all sorts of dark shadowy alcoves for poo poo to jump out at you. It's just an *engine*, it doesn't need to *look* like an object of nameless dread.

It'd be like if in the movie _Christine_, Artie's character lifts up the hood, and instead of a 5.2-liter V8, the car is powered by a severed human head, or a bucket of dead cats or something, and nobody else in the film is bothered by this.

Also, its massively massively nitpicking, but in the film when they introduce the Event Horizon's drive, Sam Neil says "When these three rings line up, the drive activates and opens a wormhole"

And it just so happens that literally exactly AS he is saying this, the three rings rotate around and come into alignment for a moment, just as the camera cuts away.

You guys couldn't come up with a spinning arrangement so that they avoid complete gimbal lock for 4 seconds? :cheeky:

Frogfingers posted:

So I think there was a thread somewhere else talking about this movie, where they brought up that the engine was based on something called a Throne from the book of revelations. The comparison is pretty clear.

The book of revelations is some mind bending horror as well, so the reference is apt.

This is pretty awesome. Funny enough what it reminds me of is the Angels from Evangelion, which... I guess that's where the design from some of the weirder ones came from. (The whole thing uses Christian symbolism obviously)

Its the ships log and the ship has lots of internal cameras for safety and poo poo, that makes plenty of sense. Every sci-fi does that.

The weird part though is how even after going to hell-dimension and removing his eyes, he has the sanity to pose for the camera. :sparkle:

The thing about the video footage that bothered me was how they pull it up and only a tiny bit of it is available at first which doesn't really tell them anything, and then one of the crewmembers is like "Hey I'll run it through some filters" and then they get a bit more which is very ominous, and then its like "okay captain I finshed those filters, take a look at this" and then they see everybody with their eyeballs out and they realize how hosed it all is.

I get that its necessary for the pacing and it works pretty well, but god drat "The filters!" is some CSI level "enhance" bullshit.

Its even worse because Event Horizon does the same trick so many times. Not only is there the captain's log which they enhance like 3 or 4 times, but there's also some voice recording message in Latin (because that's cryptic / evil) that they first interpret one way, and then after passing it through some more "filters" they realize they conveniently misinterpreted the message.

Its a horror cliche.

Zaphod42 has a new favorite as of 16:16 on Apr 7, 2015

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

quote:

Its even worse because Event Horizon does the same trick so many times. Not only is there the captain's log which they enhance like 3 or 4 times, but there's also some voice recording message in Latin (because that's cryptic / evil) that they first interpret one way, and then after passing it through some more "filters" they realize they conveniently misinterpreted the message.

I thought with the Latin thing it was that the guy actually sucked at Latin and got it wrong the first time.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

RBA Starblade posted:

I thought with the Latin thing it was that the guy actually sucked at Latin and got it wrong the first time.

Its not that he sucked at latin, its that he misheard.

The first time he heard "Liberate Me" which means "Save me"

Then later they enhance the audio and there's much more to the clip that is louder and clear where before it was either not present or very very quiet, and he realizes it says "Liberate Tuteme Ex Infernis" which means "save yourself from hell".

"Liberate Tuteme" does contain the other which is fairly clever on the writers' part, but combined with the "passing the video through the filters" 4-5 times it feels like he's over-using the same literary device, plus kinda just showing off that he knows Latin.

I mean the ship's captain goes insane from going to hell and bursts out in Latin? :v:

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm
Latin is the official language of Hell.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Zaphod42 posted:

Also, its massively massively nitpicking, but in the film when they introduce the Event Horizon's drive, Sam Neil says "When these three rings line up, the drive activates and opens a wormhole"

And it just so happens that literally exactly AS he is saying this, the three rings rotate around and come into alignment for a moment, just as the camera cuts away.

You guys couldn't come up with a spinning arrangement so that they avoid complete gimbal lock for 4 seconds? :cheeky:

This is pretty awesome. Funny enough what it reminds me of is the Angels from Evangelion, which... I guess that's where the design from some of the weirder ones came from. (The whole thing uses Christian symbolism obviously)

Its the ships log and the ship has lots of internal cameras for safety and poo poo, that makes plenty of sense. Every sci-fi does that.

The weird part though is how even after going to hell-dimension and removing his eyes, he has the sanity to pose for the camera. :sparkle:

The thing about the video footage that bothered me was how they pull it up and only a tiny bit of it is available at first which doesn't really tell them anything, and then one of the crewmembers is like "Hey I'll run it through some filters" and then they get a bit more which is very ominous, and then its like "okay captain I finshed those filters, take a look at this" and then they see everybody with their eyeballs out and they realize how hosed it all is.

I get that its necessary for the pacing and it works pretty well, but god drat "The filters!" is some CSI level "enhance" bullshit.

Its a horror cliche.

The parts about the stuff changing or becoming clearer never really bothered me (outside of the "bother" the movie wanted me to feel) because all that poo poo is controlled by the ship.
Which is alive.
And evil.
And trying to trap them into the Hell dimension.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Polaron posted:

Latin is the official language of Hell.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IIAdHEwiAy8

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

flosofl posted:

The parts about the stuff changing or becoming clearer never really bothered me (outside of the "bother" the movie wanted me to feel) because all that poo poo is controlled by the ship.
Which is alive.
And evil.
And trying to trap them into the Hell dimension.

Hm, sentient ship does account for most of it.

I think they do get the original broadcast while on board their own ship... although I guess the EH could be sentient broadcasting specific bits, so that holds up okay.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Zaphod42 posted:

Hm, sentient ship does account for most of it.

I think they do get the original broadcast while on board their own ship... although I guess the EH could be sentient broadcasting specific bits, so that holds up okay.

Yeah, I get that it's a bit of a hand-wave, but the movie is internally consistent, I feel.

ColonelKlink
Apr 17, 2002

Zaphod42 posted:

Its not that he sucked at latin, its that he misheard.

The first time he heard "Liberate Me" which means "Save me"

Then later they enhance the audio and there's much more to the clip that is louder and clear where before it was either not present or very very quiet, and he realizes it says "Liberate Tuteme Ex Infernis" which means "save yourself from hell".

"Liberate Tuteme" does contain the other which is fairly clever on the writers' part, but combined with the "passing the video through the filters" 4-5 times it feels like he's over-using the same literary device, plus kinda just showing off that he knows Latin.

I mean the ship's captain goes insane from going to hell and bursts out in Latin? :v:

I think I remember there was video of the Event Horizon's crew just before they launched with the captain saying something in latin, which made some sense that he would be speaking latin again in the "distress call" message.

I love the idea of this movie and have always been a fan of Sam Neill, but the gore and horror parts messed me up. It's in my Netflix queue, but I still have been too chickenshit to rewatch it.

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe
It's a really great horror movie, mostly because of the implications.

Do all people go to hell? Are we all going to hell? Did Laurence Fishburne sacrifice his life and go straight to hell to save his crew, who will eventually go to hell also? :psypop:

This also means we are stuck on our solar system, since it doesn't seem like there is an alternate mode of interstellar travel in that universe. So we are a doomed species, with a cruel god, who will never leave the solar system.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

ColonelKlink posted:

I think I remember there was video of the Event Horizon's crew just before they launched with the captain saying something in latin, which made some sense that he would be speaking latin again in the "distress call" message.

I love the idea of this movie and have always been a fan of Sam Neill, but the gore and horror parts messed me up. It's in my Netflix queue, but I still have been too chickenshit to rewatch it.

There really isn't very much gore, other than the eyeballs part which is just a quick jump-scare.

Then in the last 2 minutes of the film they bombard you with a smash-cut of gore when Fishburne is battling Neill. Just end the movie 3 minutes short and you'll be good.

ElGroucho posted:

It's a really great horror movie, mostly because of the implications.

Do all people go to hell? Are we all going to hell? Did Laurence Fishburne sacrifice his life and go straight to hell to save his crew, who will eventually go to hell also? :psypop:

This also means we are stuck on our solar system, since it doesn't seem like there is an alternate mode of interstellar travel in that universe. So we are a doomed species, with a cruel god, who will never leave the solar system.

You can interpret it a few different ways.

It could be literal Hell and they just broke through the loving universe and god's rules with their black-hole device, which is :stare: Which means yeah, everybody is going there when they die (if they didn't repent, etc.)

It could not be literal Hell and just something that makes Humans think of Hell because that's the closest we know of. In which case they just entered some alternate reality or multiverse where poo poo is all kinds of hosed up. If that's true then they may have just altered the hell-dimension to the existence of the Earth-dimension in which case prepare yourselves for some Doom style invasions.

Either way though it doesn't mean they're totally hosed for FTL. Event Horizon didn't go there, but "Seal of Nehahra" (A fan made movie in the quake engine) used a very similar mechanic, where slipgates accidentally end up taking you to a doomed hell dimension. In the Seal of Nehahra it wasn't so much that the slipgate took you there by default as it was that they hosed up and overheaded the machinery and so it targeted the wrong co-ordinates or something. It could similarly be that the EH's black hole drive just made a slight miscalculation. When you're opening up a wormhole across space, anyplace is equally far away. So you punch in the wrong co-ordinates and end up in Hell. Could mean that just experimenting with it more would allow them to fix the "flaw", but who the gently caress wants to experiment with that?

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

They just needed more spice, is all.

Ignimbrite
Jan 5, 2010

BALLS BALLS BALLS
Dinosaur Gum
I've heard some (non-serious) fan theories that Event Horizon happens in the Warhammer 40K universe before they figure out how to make their interstellar travel safe. :v:

tight aspirations
Jul 13, 2009

Ignite Memories posted:

They just needed more spice, is all.

It's more Doom than Dune. Although with less guns.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Ignimbrite posted:

I've heard some (non-serious) fan theories that Event Horizon happens in the Warhammer 40K universe before they figure out how to make their interstellar travel safe. :v:

40K interstellar travel is never safe and requires you to go through "the warp", which is pretty much exactly what happened in EH yeah.

I mean they use the Emperor as a beacon to navigate by, but that just means they won't come out of the warp 10,000 years later on accident or never come out at all. Its still not exactly safe.

40k is some crazy poo poo.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
The thing that makes it safe is the gellar fields which basically keep a bubble of reality around the ship as it dives through the hell-dimension.

The giant lighthouse powered by the emperor and thousands of psykers per day just makes it vaguely plausible to steer.

I do like that fan theory about Event Horizon.

I'm also reminded of a rather cool short story by the guy who writes Schlock Mercenary where they use Lovecraftian magic to power their spaceships, and everyone has to be blindfolded and moved onboard through tortuous pathways of runes for like, hours in order not to go wibbly and die.

They do anyway

The story is Flight of the Runewright, the anthology is Space Eldritch, and it's actually pretty decent.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
Been reading another book called The Plasm by William Meikle and it has the whole lovecraftian summoning to get engine power/interstellar stuff as well.

Good book so far. Pretty damned creepy.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

thespaceinvader posted:

The story is Flight of the Runewright, the anthology is Space Eldritch, and it's actually pretty decent.

Just put this on my amazon wishlist, thanks. Sounds rad as gently caress.

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK

GOTTA STAY FAI posted:

There really need to be more big-ticket Hollywood films about the horrifying parts of the bible. I'd pay $12.50 to see James Cameron's Revelation in a heartbeat :black101:

Sure I read somewhere that the original script for NOAH had this. Like, all the mad angels show up and Noah fights them or something.

Then it was neautered so we got earth elementals? Never saw it.

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

ChogsEnhour posted:

Sure I read somewhere that the original script for NOAH had this. Like, all the mad angels show up and Noah fights them or something.

Then it was neautered so we got earth elementals? Never saw it.

It's worth a rental. Nick Nolte is a pretty good Samyaza, and Russel Crowe really nails the whole "seemingly insane man who is seeing visions from God" thing.

The "earth elementals" you saw in the trailer are the forms God gave to the Watchers, a group of fallen angels who left heaven to score some sweet mortal poonanner, and also royally hosed over humanity by teaching them how to fornicate and make weapons and not worship God and other bad things.

It would be weird to think that Noah was originally supposed to fight them, because iirc by the time he starts the ark he's supposed to be in hiding, and the Watchers are making GBS threads their pants in fear and begging for mercy while Enoch preaches to them about how they've been so loving bad that God has forbidden them to even look in his direction.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Yeah, even though it is supposed to be toned down from the original version as released Noah is still pretty bonkers. Like the entire second half of the movie is Noah stating that humanity doesn't deserve to continue after the flood and there's a whole plot about how him trying to kill a baby.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

muscles like this? posted:

there's a whole plot about how him trying to kill a baby.

I thought that was supposed to be Abraham. Rewrites are weird sometimes.

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL

GOTTA STAY FAI posted:

It's worth a rental. Nick Nolte is a pretty good Samyaza, and Russel Crowe really nails the whole "seemingly insane man who is seeing visions from God" thing.

The "earth elementals" you saw in the trailer are the forms God gave to the Watchers, a group of fallen angels who left heaven to score some sweet mortal poonanner, and also royally hosed over humanity by teaching them how to fornicate and make weapons and not worship God and other bad things.

It would be weird to think that Noah was originally supposed to fight them, because iirc by the time he starts the ark he's supposed to be in hiding, and the Watchers are making GBS threads their pants in fear and begging for mercy while Enoch preaches to them about how they've been so loving bad that God has forbidden them to even look in his direction.

Did we see the same movie?

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Gaunab posted:

Did we see the same movie?

Holy poo poo, I would have totally watched a Noah v. Grigori smack down.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

On the topic of EH Dr. Grant seems to completely know that the ship is evil and sentient and has been through hell, and is trying to lead it back there with the salvage crew. So...how? You'd think if he tested the thing and went to hell previously, more people like him would be out there, and he wouldn't have been acting so sane and fully decked out in eyeballs for years. Plus if they'd tested it before it's hard to imagine they'd go through with the ship's maiden voyage. So what gives? It's a fun movie and seems to be pretty consistent for a dumb sci fi horror romp, so I'm assuming I missed something.

Lamprey Cannon
Jul 23, 2011

by exmarx

Ryoshi posted:

On the topic of EH Dr. Grant seems to completely know that the ship is evil and sentient and has been through hell, and is trying to lead it back there with the salvage crew. So...how? You'd think if he tested the thing and went to hell previously, more people like him would be out there, and he wouldn't have been acting so sane and fully decked out in eyeballs for years. Plus if they'd tested it before it's hard to imagine they'd go through with the ship's maiden voyage. So what gives? It's a fun movie and seems to be pretty consistent for a dumb sci fi horror romp, so I'm assuming I missed something.

I think the implication isn't that Grant knows about the ship, but rather that he's more susceptible to its influences. Event Horizon's ship shares a lot in common with Lovecraft's writing: an unseen presence calling out to the sensitive through dreams and visions. The characters whom the ship 'gets' are those who are consumed by some kind of guilt, which the ship plays off; you've got that lady's sick son, Fishburne's decision to leave behind a crewmember, and particularly Grant's dead wife. Fishburne manages to overcome that guilt, while Grant is consumed by it.

tight aspirations
Jul 13, 2009

Ryoshi posted:

I think the ship's just his baby, he designed it, it was his project and the sense of loss after it disappeared spurred him on to salvage it and never lose it again. I might just be reading too much into a pretty decent space horror, though.

e: He kinda overlooks its obvious malevolence due to reasons above, I think.

Kugyou no Tenshi
Nov 8, 2005

We can't keep the crowd waiting, can we?

Jonathan Yeah! posted:

I think the ship's just his baby, he designed it, it was his project and the sense of loss after it disappeared spurred him on to salvage it and never lose it again. I might just be reading too much into a pretty decent space horror, though.

e: He kinda overlooks its obvious malevolence due to reasons above, I think.

That and he's more or less Faustus with his whole "I must know" attitude. While everyone else is all "no, no, ship bad, leave ship, come the gently caress on let's get the gently caress out of here gently caress gently caress gently caress" he's all "nah, there are things to learn". It's pretty much the classic Things Man Was Not Meant To Know horror premise.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Ryoshi posted:

He doesn't? He very clearly isn't aware of everything. He has a dream of a woman kinda luring him that way but that's all. When they first get to the EH he goes crawling in the air ducts / jeffrey's tubes around the engine in order to fix some circuit that shorted, and he gets stuck alone in there and he starts hallucinating like crazy and he's very clearly disturbed by it. He's just going along to rescue his project ship, which has been missing for years. This is his first chance to find out what happened to his dream project.

Wasn't his dead wife on board the ship originally and he's trying to get back to her or something? Or was that just the sentient spirit of the ship the whole time? I guess I never really thought about it, and that makes more sense. He seems to recognize her though?

Its just that once poo poo gets really hosed, his response to it is the opposite of the rest of the crew's.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Zaphod42 posted:

He doesn't? He very clearly isn't aware of everything. He has a dream of a woman kinda luring him that way but that's all. When they first get to the EH he goes crawling in the air ducts / jeffrey's tubes around the engine in order to fix some circuit that shorted, and he gets stuck alone in there and he starts hallucinating like crazy and he's very clearly disturbed by it. He's just going along to rescue his project ship, which has been missing for years. This is his first chance to find out what happened to his dream project.

Wasn't his dead wife on board the ship originally and he's trying to get back to her or something? Or was that just the sentient spirit of the ship the whole time? I guess I never really thought about it, and that makes more sense. He seems to recognize her though?

Its just that once poo poo gets really hosed, his response to it is the opposite of the rest of the crew's.

I'm pretty sure his wife killed herself prior to the film and wasn't anywhere near the ship.

tight aspirations
Jul 13, 2009

Fil5000 posted:

I'm pretty sure his wife killed herself prior to the film and wasn't anywhere near the ship.

I thought his wife killed herself because of his obsession with the Event Horizon project.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Fil5000 posted:

Maybe the idea then is that because she was a suicide she ended up in hell, and then when her husband's ship showed up she was the one who possessed it?
That or the ship was just reading his mind and loving with him all along.

I thought that it was his wife though, glad I didn't make that up.

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

Zaphod42 posted:

Maybe the idea then is that because she was a suicide she ended up in hell, and then when her husband's ship showed up she was the one who possessed it?
That or the ship was just reading his mind and loving with him all along.

I thought that it was his wife though, glad I didn't make that up.

It's doesn't need to be that complicated. Is definitely the second thing.
The ship pulls memories from its victims and hits them with the hallucinations most likely to cause them to break down.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Aleph Null posted:

It's doesn't need to be that complicated. Is definitely the second thing.
The ship pulls memories from its victims and hits them with the hallucinations most likely to cause them to break down.

If the EH can give people hallucinations across gigantic stretches of space though regardless of who it is, then why not make the President nuke the Earth or something really evil?
Why just gently caress with Dr. Grant?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
Cause the pres wasn't ON the EH.