Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

EightBit posted:

Fuel doors on the passenger side don't make any sense. There's always going to be a driver, put it on the side closest to them.

The rationale for putting it on the passenger side is supposedly so you can safely fill up from a gas can on the side of the road.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TWBalls
Apr 16, 2003
My medication never lies

EightBit posted:

Fuel doors on the passenger side don't make any sense. There's always going to be a driver, put it on the side closest to them.

The VW Salesman told me (and I'm sure it's bullshit, but whatever) that they do that for safety reasons. If you run out of fuel and you're on the side of the road trying to fuel up your car, you're away from the road and (hopefully) less likely to be hit.

***Edit***
gently caress, beaten.

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

Loaded up and trucking.We gonna do what they say cant be done.

nsaP posted:

You know that the pumps are designed to do that? As the gentleman above is showing nicely.

He should have used the pump to the right. They are connected.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

TWBalls posted:

The VW Salesman told me (and I'm sure it's bullshit, but whatever) that they do that for safety reasons. If you run out of fuel and you're on the side of the road trying to fuel up your car, you're away from the road and (hopefully) less likely to be hit.

***Edit***
gently caress, beaten.

I'd like to ask the same question here in the UK :haw:

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

StormDrain posted:

Best fuel filler location, 1964 Ford Galaxie, dead center below the trunk. Never on the wrong side.

Most older cars are that way. Both of my Chevys are. Makes for some fun when I visit Oregon.

Hugh G. Rectum
Mar 1, 2011

Raluek posted:

Most older cars are that way. Both of my Chevys are. Makes for some fun when I visit Oregon.

Isn't that kind of a big fire hazard if the car gets rear-ended?

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Sudo Echo posted:

Isn't that kind of a big fire hazard if the car gets rear-ended?

Probably. It's not for their safety that I like older cars, hah.

That said, they kept that up in the B-body until '96.

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.

KozmoNaut posted:

The rationale for putting it on the passenger side is supposedly so you can safely fill up from a gas can on the side of the road.

This doesn't sound very well thought out. You're either able to move a good distance over, or have a wall there. Having to keep clearance for putting in fuel keeps you closer to traffic.

Some of the Sheep
May 25, 2005
POSSIBLY IT WOULD BE SIMPLER IF I ASKED FOR A LIST OF THE HARMLESS CREATURES OF THE AFORESAID CONTINENT?

StormDrain posted:

What's the ratio of cars with the fuel filler on drivers vs. passenger side? I would bet the odds are you drive a car with the filler on the drivers side.

Best fuel filler location, 1964 Ford Galaxie, dead center below the trunk. Never on the wrong side.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

EightBit posted:

The car I have now is the first one I've owned that put it on the passenger side.

This is my 9th car, and I've had my license for over 20 years. It took me well over a year to break the habit of pulling up with the drivers side facing the pump. :argh::hf::doh:

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

Loaded up and trucking.We gonna do what they say cant be done.
I miss the open hood to fuel tank on my old VW Bug.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.
FWIW I prefer the cap on the driver's side as it makes it easier to get the positioning exactly right* in a petrol station.

Obviously, more of a benefit when you are driving an unfamilar car.

*exactly right = the position where you can hold the handle and look at the pump reading without turning your head or twisting your back, whilst maintaining a cool pose in case anyone is watching.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
It blew my mind when I realized that (almost?) all fuel gauges have a little arrow to indicate which side of the car the filler cap is on.

nitrogen
May 21, 2004

Oh, what's a 217°C difference between friends?
it'll also blow your mind that on many cars with just one exhaust, the fuel door will almost always be on the opposite side as the exhaust.

Of course, there are cars with exhausts on both sides, so lord knows how they figure out where to put the fuel door then.

Deedle
Oct 17, 2011
before you ask, yes I did inform the DMV of my condition and medication, and I passed the medical and psychological evaluation when I got my license. I've passed them every time I have gone to renew my license.

PT6A posted:

It blew my mind when I realized that (almost?) all fuel gauges have a little arrow to indicate which side of the car the filler cap is on.
I read about that years ago. Never seen an indication of which side the filler cap is on. So part of me thinks that it's a North American market thing.

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)

Deedle posted:

I read about that years ago. Never seen an indication of which side the filler cap is on. So part of me thinks that it's a North American market thing.

Australian ford falcons have the arrow, pretty sure I've seen it in mazdas too. E: commodores don't though, so it's not a universal thing. (Though falcons never went to North America but commodores did :shrug: )

Fo3 fucked around with this message at 16:39 on Apr 8, 2015

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Sometimes I think I should get a dashcam to record some of the stupidity I see on the road. Then I remember that every accident I've been in has been my fault.

Whiz Palace
Dec 8, 2013
From what I've seen, people with dashcams are often terrible drivers in the same way that people who complain about being "surrounded by assholes" are usually assholes themselves.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Driving is like politics, everything's fine until you gently caress up and then you're eternally the worst piece of poo poo to ever draw air.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
Except the idiot I got stuck behind on i95 today, who was:
1. driving a beat up blue PT cruiser
2. chipmunk position
3. could not maintain position in lane
4. a binary throttle user. Going 10 under the speed of traffic? Better floor it. OH NO, WE'VE ALMOST REACHED THE SPEED OF TRAFFIC. SLAM ON THE BRAKES. (repeat ad infinitum)
5. in the left lane completely ignoring everything behind them.

I thought they were brake checking me and/or trying to keep me from passing because they always seemed to be accelerating when I was trying to pass, and slamming on the brakes when it was impossible to do so. Finally passed and nope, just some idiot with their head a mile up their own rear end in a top hat, oblivious to the world outside.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Whiz Palace posted:

From what I've seen, people with dashcams are often terrible drivers in the same way that people who complain about being "surrounded by assholes" are usually assholes themselves.

I'm sure that some people that post footage from dash cams a lot, often place themselves in positions where dumb stuff happens through bad driving. On the other hand, there are plenty of people with dash cams out and about that nothing interesting ever happens around, because they just drive normally.

I drive 500'ish miles per week, and with a dash cam in the car for almost 3 years now, I've bothered to pull the chip to get footage off of it maybe 6 times? 99.999% of what my dash cam records is just normal, every day driving (much of it terrible, but really not worthy of keeping).

I did almost pull the chip last night just to grab a screenshot of a 370z I saw yesterday on the way home - it was a really interesting red metal color. Looked almost like it was anodized steel/aluminum rather than paint (and it might have been, who knows).

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
I have a dash cam, I've pulled a few videos off it just for "Haha look at that dumb poo poo I just saw happen" but I don't remember where I put them

Philip J Fry
Apr 25, 2007

go outside and have a blast
Man, all of this really makes me want to get a dash cam now. Almost t-boned a guy last night coming out of a parking lot without stopping because the right lane was 'open' just as I was merging over into it (with my signal on before I even started) to turn right at the next light. I was 3/4 over before I had to swerve back.

Any consensus on a good dash cam (maybe in the $150 range) with a decent GUI? Most of these things look like standard Chinese crap.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Brigdh
Nov 23, 2007

That's not an oil leak. That's the automatic oil change and chassis protection feature.

Look at the upside, no delay waiting for the investigators to come out

insta
Jan 28, 2009

Philip J Fry posted:

Man, all of this really makes me want to get a dash cam now. Almost t-boned a guy last night coming out of a parking lot without stopping because the right lane was 'open' just as I was merging over into it (with my signal on before I even started) to turn right at the next light. I was 3/4 over before I had to swerve back.

Any consensus on a good dash cam (maybe in the $150 range) with a decent GUI? Most of these things look like standard Chinese crap.

Decent GUI? You're not surfing the web on your dashcam, you plug the poo poo in and let it fill SD cards.

Get the standard chinese crap and call it done.

Philip J Fry
Apr 25, 2007

insta posted:

Decent GUI? You're not surfing the web on your dashcam, you plug the poo poo in and let it fill SD cards.

Get the standard chinese crap and call it done.

I was hoping to find one that could do double duty as a trail cam.

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

Philip J Fry posted:

I was hoping to find one that could do double duty as a trail cam.

I use a GoPro (Hero 3+ Silver) on my dash, but my setup is not very good for daily use, since I don't have a power source running to it the battery goes dead pretty quickly. Honestly you're probably best off just buying a cheap one and permanently installing it, and then buy something else for trail use.

bigman.50grand
Mar 31, 2007
no
There's a dash can thread.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php

The G1W seems to be goon-preferred, but give that a read through for all the recommends.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

I use this, and it's been great so far:

https://dashcamtalk.com/b40-a118/

Some people have reported reliability issues in hot weather, but I think those were solved with an updated case design.

Scruff McGruff
Feb 13, 2007

Jesus, kid, you're almost a detective. All you need now is a gun, a gut, and three ex-wives.
Yeah, general consensus is the G1W (make sure you buy from the right seller) and the Mobius.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Scruff McGruff posted:

Yeah, general consensus is the G1W (make sure you buy from the right seller) and the Mobius.

Well, the G1W is the cheapest thing that's not total crap. If you want to spend a little bit more, Mobius or Mini 0803.

Philip J Fry
Apr 25, 2007

Awesome, thanks. Even if it's just a cheapie that gets the job done, I'm cool with that. loving rainy season in here up in the PNW and what does everyone do? Start wearing sunglasses.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Yeah, having bought a couple of G1W-Cs, while they work, I now kinda wish I'd spent a bit more for something that doesn't constanty lose the date / fail to boot when it's below 65 out.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

InterceptorV8 posted:

I miss the open hood to fuel tank on my old VW Bug.

The Lamborghini Urraco and Silhouette had the fuel filler in the engine bay, so you had to lift up the engine cover to fill the car up :stonk:

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti
I kinda like dash cam crash videos so I tend to watch a lot of them, and I've noticed a trend. I don't think it's caused by having a dash cam, but I don't know.

The observation is that there are a lot of people who are much more concerned about being right and exerting their superiority over someone who did something stupid that end up getting in accidents. Honking instead of braking is a prime example. I think people in general do not understand or practice defensive driving at all. There's a special breed of moron dash cam owner that seems to purposely put themselves in dangerous situations just so they can honk and upload it to their youtube channel though.

I have a G1W, and it seems to work great. Tends to lose the time/date when it gets below zero though. The G1W-C uses a capacitor rather than a battery, better for hot climates.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

IOwnCalculus posted:

Yeah, having bought a couple of G1W-Cs, while they work, I now kinda wish I'd spent a bit more for something that doesn't constanty lose the date / fail to boot when it's below 65 out.

Luckily it's almost never below 65 here. I'm not sure that's always a good thing.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

You Am I posted:

The Lamborghini Urraco and Silhouette had the fuel filler in the engine bay, so you had to lift up the engine cover to fill the car up :stonk:

To be fair it's not like Lamborghinis don't spontaneously combust even when there isn't a hazardous fueling system.

Content: I don't think I'll ever own a factory performance model. My position was recently eliminated and I lost my company car as a result so right now I'm driving my brother's first-generation MS3 until I get my severance package and my unemployment checks start coming in so I can throw about $1000 at my Focus to get it roadworthy again.

Seems like every shitlord driving a car with a DOHC engine wants to race me now. Had some jackass in a beat to poo poo Accord pull up to me at a light. Engine was surging and blasting clouds of blue smoke, check engine light is on, etc. I accelerated at a roughly normal pace to 60 (in a 50 MPH zone) and settled in...about 20 seconds later this guy passes me bouncing off the rev limiter and leaving a cloud of burned oil smoke in his wake.

e: probably bragging to his friends about how he totally owned a turbocharged car from a roll once the VTEC kicked in, yo :rice:

Geoj fucked around with this message at 03:09 on Apr 9, 2015

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

That's why you need a performance version of a car that nobody recognizes as such. Nobody ever tries to race me in my Volvo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

waffle iron
Jan 16, 2004

PT6A posted:

I'm pretty sure that even when it's just the gas pump symbol with no arrow, the gas pump handle points in the direction of the tank.