Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

Useless Name posted:

I've heard of esl teachers jumping over to international schools and somehow getting 30,000 per month too and they don't have teaching certificates.

If I could have found a way to do that I wouldn't be pursuing a teaching certificate right now.

gently caress.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

caberham posted:

what's sauce meat bun

酱肉 is 四川菜 (the best kind of Chinese food) so it's automatically very good.

Tom Smykowski
Jan 27, 2005

What the hell is wrong with you people?
id eat 酱肉丝 everyday if I could

Zuhzuhzombie!!
Apr 17, 2008
FACTS ARE A CONSPIRACY BY THE CAPITALIST OPRESSOR

Useless Name posted:

I've heard of some international schools in shenzhen and hong kong, probably beijing and shanghai too that charge upwards of 250,000 rmb per year for a student to attend. So yeah these schools have cash to pay their teachers. Forgetting about the salaries of teachers at international schools in the middle east, it's not unheard of for a hong kong school to offer 80,000 US per year tax free plus on campus housing. I've heard of esl teachers jumping over to international schools and somehow getting 30,000 per month too and they don't have teaching certificates.

My brother in law is Shanghai native and does this very thing. Teaches at a private school and makes stupid money.

Still lives in a lovely one bedroom apartment with wife and three kids though.

NaanViolence
Mar 1, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

Grand Fromage posted:

No and yes. That's not the issue though. I've had Chinese speakers with me for the majority of this stuff and it doesn't help. I also moved to Korea speaking no Korean and had some of this sort of thing given the general love of inefficiency/nobody having a clue how to do their loving jobs around here but it was nowhere near as bad as in China.

It is an unavoidable fact of living there, that's for sure. I did notice that once I was confident in my Chinese taking care of things myself was a lot faster and easier, though.

GBM: Is your WeChat name HuoQiao Jobjed lol? I can't find you. My name is Longanimitas, add me and we will chat about employment.

NaanViolence fucked around with this message at 20:41 on Apr 7, 2015

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Magna Kaser posted:

Why do accredited teachers even stay in the US if these jobs pay so much in Asia????

Not everyone is comfortable moving to the other side of the world and leaving everything else behind, especially if you're married. Marriages and long term relationships have to be pretty tough to survive the move.

The workloads at those schools are pretty crazy and you can be fired or let go for not meeting standards like all high scores on AP tests. That one 3 could cost you your job. They're not all like that but when you make that much a month, there are big expectations for you and most teachers I met working those jobs seemed close to burning out. The kids also have a lot more power and some of them know it. If a kid doesn't like you or you don't do things the way they want you to, they can make your life miserable. Even if they're a loving demon, all the administration will see is how much their parents pay or give to the school and you'll be out of there before them. You won't get fired but your contract won't be renewed due to "issues". The only thing that really gets kids in trouble is physical stuff, fighting, and even then it takes a lot for the school to tell the parents their kid has to go. The Western international schools in Shanghai had reputations for substance abuse problems because the kids can walk into any Kedi and walk out with as much beer as they want. Some kids kind of self destruct like the ESL teachers do but they're 15-16 so it's much worse.

RocknRollaAyatollah fucked around with this message at 00:07 on Apr 8, 2015

Vogue
Feb 8, 2012

too powerful its just too powerful we have to stop it
I spent about a month in Zhuhai back in 2012 and I absolutely fell in love with the city. I'm about to finish undergrad and am loving eager to get back to China by teaching English, but reading through this thread it seems like most of the good jobs are far away from Guangdong (minus Hong Kong but then the price is living is ridiculous??). I really want to go back and dick around for a year or so before getting on with my life, but I'd highly prefer it be somewhere in the south of China and similar to Zhuhai (or literally Zhuhai). Will I have to suck it up and pick one of the cities closer to Shanghai or what?

PS: NO BEIJING, EVER.

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
You'll have to go back to study. To be legally employed in China on a Z-visa, you have to be two years removed from graduating university.

Vogue
Feb 8, 2012

goldboilermark posted:

You'll have to go back to study. To be legally employed in China on a Z-visa, you have to be two years removed from graduating university.

And I take it that most take the legal route? drat. Thanks for the info.

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

RocknRollaAyatollah posted:

The Western international schools in Shanghai had reputations for substance abuse problems because the kids can walk into any Kedi and walk out with as much beer as they want. Some kids kind of self destruct like the ESL teachers do but they're 15-16 so it's much worse.

Also this is a huge issue here in Tianjin as well. It's really sad.

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Vogue posted:

And I take it that most take the legal route? drat. Thanks for the info.

You can legally be in China if you are on a student visa, enrolled in a University. What you do in your own time is your own business. If you are teaching, it is technically illegal. However, a lot of people do it anyway.

You won't be able to get a job at a place that will offer you a legal Z-visa unless you are two years removed from University.

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

goldboilermark posted:

Alternatively almost no English teachers with actual Z Visa/Residence Permits at english mills have this requirement.

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

goldboilermark posted:

You can legally be in China if you are on a student visa, enrolled in a University. What you do in your own time is your own business. If you are teaching, it is technically illegal. However, a lot of people do it anyway.

You won't be able to get a job at a place that will offer you a legal Z-visa unless you are two years removed from University.

If you are 24+ years old you don't even have to work. Most the time employers just make up your work history and qualifications. The government is getting better about it but unless you got your degree in 2014, you should be fine.

Some cities aren't as good as others when it comes to spotting fake documents. For instance Shanghai and Beijing are better about it than some T2-T3 cities which let anybody in because the PSB doesn't have a clue as to what anything is.

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Magna Kaser posted:

Alternatively almost no English teachers with actual Z Visa/Residence Permits at english mills have this requirement.

Every single person at EF, Disney English, Wall Street, etc. here in Tianjin are 25 years of age and have been graduated from university for over two years. You can't get a Z-visa without it.

If you want to work at Happy Lucky Orange Baby Monica's English for Chinese Youth! on a travel visa and get paid a month and a half later, you're more than welcome to. I'm just telling you what the regulations are now for Z-visas in education. If you graduated in 2014, you won't be able to get a Z-visa to come to China.

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

If you are 24+ years old you don't even have to work. Most the time employers just make up your work history and qualifications. The government is getting better about it but unless you got your degree in 2014, you should be fine.

Some cities aren't as good as others when it comes to spotting fake documents. For instance Shanghai and Beijing are better about it than some T2-T3 cities which let anybody in because the PSB doesn't have a clue as to what anything is.

Yes, you can just simply make up work history, I've seen it done before. No one checks that. But unless you're going to photoshop your degree, like you said, you're kinda boned. If someone is graduating this year or last year and wants to come to China to teach English, they legally will not be able to get a Z-visa. Anyone that tells them otherwise is lying.

This is my understanding coming from Tianjin, maybe Zhuhai is different.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Don't work illegally, like any country your employer will have bad power over you.

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Don't take my post as an indication that it's fine and alright to fake documents. Your employer faking your work history to get you a visa is ok, you faking degrees and certifications, not ok. As Arglebargle said, it can come back to gently caress you in a big way. Your employer can use it against you and you can see some heavy fines or jail time for messing with them. Usually if it's not something big they just make you work out your contract, dock your pay, and have you blacklisted from ever entering China again but it's not something you want to have done.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
It's pretty funny to see someone committing fraud to get in to China.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

Stringent posted:

I'll bite. Why?

Vogue
Feb 8, 2012

Good info. I'll wait it out, got post-grad stuff supposed to line up soon anyway. Does anyone have experience in Zhuhai and can name a few areas that are similar? (Coastal, laidback, not cheap/rural). Also I really didn't like the day I spent in Maocao, everything way was too expensive and touristy. I know Zhuhai is supposedly a huge vacation destination as well, but it seems to be the case only for people already in China whereas Maocao had a lot of fellow laowai (which pumped up the price of everything).

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Don't take my post as an indication that it's fine and alright to fake documents. Your employer faking your work history to get you a visa is ok, you faking degrees and certifications, not ok.

Just so we are all on the same page, I also think it is not ok to simply to lie and make things up, and I am not suggesting any foreigners do that.

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

"It was a busy day. I do not remember it all. In the morning, I thought I had lost my wallet. Then we went swimming and either overthrew a government or started a pro-American radio station. I can't really remember."
Fun Shoe

fart simpson posted:

I'll bite. Why?

China is a hotbed of document fraud for people trying to migrate to other countries. Mostly Anglophone, Five Eyes-type countries.

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

Stringent posted:

You wouldn't believe the letters I get from people we have to reject who we literally can't get a visa for--the requirements for which are clearly outlined in the JD. I guess some of these white people have gotten so used to living as a super privileged group that going back to a world where they are mundane and normal and only slightly privileged scares them to death.

Most of them share a common thread where their visa shows they were employed in China for a few months, then mysteriously left their job and 2-4 months they suddenly need a job and are very demanding about getting their visa ASAP.

Ailumao fucked around with this message at 03:57 on Apr 8, 2015

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Bloodnose posted:

China is a hotbed of document fraud for people trying to migrate to other countries. Mostly Anglophone, Five Eyes-type countries.

Who asked Bloodnose?

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

Magna Kaser posted:

Among my coworkers, most did. Everyone who got their visa through the company (that is to say, legally) did.

Useless Name
May 3, 2005
Has the 2+ year experience requirement moved to the inland provinces yet? The good provinces on the coastline definitely require you to be two years older after graduating, but I remember Changsha being filled with 21-22 year olds doing a leap-year in China. They would often all come to Hunan through the same recruitment agency, get paid really lovely, get drunk every weekend/day, and 90%+ leave after a year. But all had legal z-visas. I mean, why would someone with 2 years of esl experience ever want to come work in a tiny (population 1 million+) rural town in Hunan for 5000 rmb per month.

bad day
Mar 26, 2012

by VideoGames

Not everyone is comfortable moving to the other side of the world and leaving everything else behind, especially if you're married. Marriages and long term relationships have to be pretty tough to survive the move.

The workloads at those schools are pretty crazy and you can be fired or let go for not meeting standards like all high scores on AP tests. That one 3 could cost you your job. They're not all like that but when you make that much a month, there are big expectations for you and most teachers I met working those jobs seemed close to burning out. The kids also have a lot more power and some of them know it. If a kid doesn't like you or you don't do things the way they want you to, they can make your life miserable. Even if they're a loving demon, all the administration will see is how much their parents pay or give to the school and you'll be out of there before them. You won't get fired but your contract won't be renewed due to "issues". The only thing that really gets kids in trouble is physical stuff, fighting, and even then it takes a lot for the school to tell the parents their kid has to go. The Western international schools in Shanghai had reputations for substance abuse problems because the kids can walk into any Kedi and walk out with as much beer as they want. Some kids kind of self destruct like the ESL teachers do but they're 15-16 so it's much worse.

Also keep in mind only like a quarter of Americans even have passports..

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

bad day posted:

My father offered to pay for my brother to come out to visit me and go around China for 2 weeks and all he had to do was get the passport but he decided that was too much :effort: and just isn't coming.

kenner116
May 15, 2009

bad day posted:

Actually it's closer to 40%, with the great state of New Jersey leading the way at about 60%, and Mississippi at the other end at under 20%.

Though it's only that high because of 9/11.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Lots of people got them when they started requiring them to come back from Canada about 10 years or so ago.

bad day
Mar 26, 2012

by VideoGames
Teaching my students about the germ theory of disease today..

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

bad day posted:

Teaching my students about the germ theory of disease today..

Hot water is bad for germy

Trammel
Dec 31, 2007

Jeoh posted:

Hot water is bad for germy

Boiling hot is bad. Warm is a delightful place in which to be fruitful and multiply.

NaanViolence
Mar 1, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

goldboilermark posted:

Yes, you can just simply make up work history, I've seen it done before. No one checks that. But unless you're going to photoshop your degree, like you said, you're kinda boned. If someone is graduating this year or last year and wants to come to China to teach English, they legally will not be able to get a Z-visa. Anyone that tells them otherwise is lying.

This is my understanding coming from Tianjin, maybe Zhuhai is different.

What is your WeChat name? I don't have PMs.

Also, when I first taught in 2010-11 in Wuhan I taught postgraduate students at one of the best public universities in the province and I had only graduated a few months earlier. Is this two-year requirement a new thing?

I miss that job, it was fun taking students from "Why should we listen to you? We are older than you" to "Nobody ever showed me literature like you have. Thanks so much!"

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
I added you on WeChat man, my username is sleepy_in_tianjin but I don't think people can find me

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

"It was a busy day. I do not remember it all. In the morning, I thought I had lost my wallet. Then we went swimming and either overthrew a government or started a pro-American radio station. I can't really remember."
Fun Shoe

fart simpson posted:

Lots of people got them when they started requiring them to come back from Canada about 10 years or so ago.

They could get a passport card for that. It's cheaper than a book and easier to deal with.

Cuatal
Apr 17, 2007

:dukedog:

Don't take my post as an indication that it's fine and alright to fake documents. Your employer faking your work history to get you a visa is ok, you faking degrees and certifications, not ok. As Arglebargle said, it can come back to gently caress you in a big way. Your employer can use it against you and you can see some heavy fines or jail time for messing with them. Usually if it's not something big they just make you work out your contract, dock your pay, and have you blacklisted from ever entering China again but it's not something you want to have done.

How the crap would they even know? Isn't the website to check degrees blocked and if it's not blocked doesn't it cost like 13.99 or something?

Not saying it's the best idea, but assuming the people aren't complete idiots and never mention it I can't imagine it would be hard to get away with faking a degree.

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

Cuatal posted:

How the crap would they even know? Isn't the website to check degrees blocked and if it's not blocked doesn't it cost like 13.99 or something?

Not saying it's the best idea, but assuming the people aren't complete idiots and never mention it I can't imagine it would be hard to get away with faking a degree.

I actually think it's way more, and given how cheap most of these HR departments are and how high turnover is I can't imagine many schools/government agencies bother checking.

bad day
Mar 26, 2012

by VideoGames
What's a normal starting salary for a High School teacher in Shanghai? I am looking at jobs and they mostly seem to be around 20,000/month with my level of qualification, though that does not include housing. Is that decent for ~20 hours a week? I am not looking to work my rear end off for a large salary because I plan to start my own business there next year and will be hustling for investors/clients in my free time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

Are you really starting a DJ school?