Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

Ramos posted:

Twenty dollars down on the middle one being satire.

20 bux says its his amateur magic erotica he accidentally copypasta'd into the comments section.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

Zoness posted:

Are we talking about the cfb article

Because this is my favorite snippet from a comment:

My favorite is the guy that was saying "I stunk because I was too depressed to shower, don't you feel like an rear end in a top hat now for insulting the disabled?"

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
Most people who play magic are very weird, or assholes or both. I don't think there is anything unique about the way women are treated at magic shops that is any different from the times myself or friends of mine have been treated badly.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

gently caress, I forgot that one.

Oh well, for a more recent one, we have Vraska's victims from the Duel Deck art. Both are naked men.

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.

Eddie Whitson posted:

And as bad as Magic players can be, this isn't even close to the worst TCG community.

Is it Yu-gi-oh?

black potus
Jul 13, 2006

mcmagic posted:

Most people who play magic are very weird, or assholes or both. I don't think there is anything unique about the way women are treated at magic shops that is any different from the times myself or friends of mine have been treated badly.

hi mcmagic how are you today

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Every single CFB article should include the advice "shower, brush your teeth"

Elyv posted:

Also sleeve color and all that.
The solution is clearly to make sure the mechanic always swaps cards, so you can exchange packaging. Now let me shuffle your foil LotV into my unsleeved deck.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

mcmagic posted:

please source your quotes

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Failboattootoot posted:

Is it Yu-gi-oh?

I'm inclined to back that up.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

mcmagic posted:

drat it, mcmagic. Let's not drag the grognardiness in here today please.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Ramos posted:

drat it, mcmagic. Let's not drag the grognardiness in here today please.

I honestly don't know what that means. I just haven't seen that kind of stuff happen. I've seen young kids and new players treated much worse.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Ramos posted:

gently caress, I forgot that one.

Oh well, for a more recent one, we have Vraska's victims from the Duel Deck art. Both are naked men.

Can you blame them for turning rock hard after looking at a Gorgon?

mcmagic posted:

I honestly don't know what that means. I just haven't seen that kind of stuff happen.

A behavior that isn't personally perceived is still a behavior that exists at large. Personal anecdotes do nothing to refute patterns that exist.

Starving Autist
Oct 20, 2007

by Ralp
At the end of the day, all the high level pros understand the importance of not fostering a community that's actively hostile to 50% of the population. Even though those comments are depressing, the fact that CFB and others publish such articles is ultimately a sign that things are looking up.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.

mcmagic posted:

Jesus loving Christ.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

mcmagic posted:

I honestly don't know what that means. I just haven't seen that kind of stuff happen. I've seen young kids and new players treated much worse.

A systematic oppression of a minority can still exist using tools and tactics that aren't specifically designed for them hth.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Irony Be My Shield posted:

At the very least all of the GP Vegas adverts and promotions should have flashing PLEASE REMEMBER TO BATHE subliminal messages

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Irony Be My Shield posted:

The solution is clearly to make sure the mechanic always swaps cards, so you can exchange packaging. Now let me shuffle your foil LotV into my unsleeved deck.

If the SCG app had a pop-up window asking you to shower and brush your teeth before it let you see prices, it would probably be the easiest method.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

The fact that magic players as a group need to be reminded to have basic loving personal hygiene pretty much proves my point. It's for the most part a degenerate group of people.... sadly.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

Madmarker posted:

I really hate magic players sometimes. I love the game, but gently caress if the a good portion of the playerbase isnt the most spoiled, misogynistic, gamergating, MRA babies this side of a PUA subreddit.

I'm always surprised at how unfriendly of a community it really is sometimes across message boards, MTGO and even LGS's.

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

80 new posts I wonder if there's a new Origins spoiler!

Oh... oh god

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

Women don't want to interact with a subculture that ranges from dismissive to actively hostile when interacting with them? A clear case of misandry :smug:

Lancelot
May 23, 2006

Fun Shoe

mcmagic posted:

The fact that magic players as a group need to be reminded to have basic loving personal hygiene pretty much proves my point. It's for the most part a degenerate group of people.... sadly.
I don't understand the relationship between the lack of showering and your denial that sexism exists in Magic.

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.

Count Bleck posted:

I'm inclined to back that up.

Someone earlier in this thread posted a link to some woman's twitter talking about how a local shop near her had banned Yu-gi-oh and it wasn't until just now that I remembered that one of my local shops had banned it about a year ago because the players were a bunch of rowdy shitheads. He also said his thefts went way down.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Lancelot posted:

I don't understand the relationship between the lack of showering and your denial that sexism exists in Magic.

I can't really deny that sexism exists in magic since it exists everywhere I'm sure there are a ton of sexists who play magic. I just don't think the problem with Magic is sexism per se. My point is that for whatever reason, Magic doesn't attract the highest quality of people sadly.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.

mcmagic posted:

I can't really deny that sexism exists in magic since it exists everywhere I'm sure there are a ton of sexists who play magic. I just don't think the problem with Magic is sexism per se. My point is that for whatever reason, Magic doesn't attract the highest quality of people sadly.

Your posts are clear indicators.
I SERIOUSLY can not believe that you are trying to say sexism isn't a major part of Magic culture. Are you going to try to tell me that misogyny isn't part of video gaming culture next?

BXCX
Feb 17, 2012

not even in a bad way
:qq:I am laid low by the matriarchy:qq:

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

mcmagic posted:

If you lived in a war-torn country you'd walk into a minefield anytime you went out your front door.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

jassi007 posted:

If you lived in a war-torn country you'd walk into a minefield anytime you went out your front door.

So you're saying that basically everyone who plays magic should expect to be treated badly sometimes. I agree.

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

Your Lord and Savior has finally arrived!

..got any kibble?

Failboattootoot posted:

Is it Yu-gi-oh?

Yeeeeeeeeeeep.

Also, it's kind of embarassing/sad how much better the Twitch MTG community (SCG/Official MTG streams aside) is toward women and minorities than the general magic population. When your behavior is embarassing compared to twitch chat, maybe you should re-evaluate your life.

Ultima66
Sep 2, 2008

E: n/m

Ultima66 fucked around with this message at 18:00 on Apr 8, 2015

Pyrolocutus
Feb 5, 2005
Shape of Flame

A store in my current city (not that one) has also banned adult Yu-Gi-Oh players, and I have to ask...what is it about the game that attracts that demographic?

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

Ultima66 posted:

You guys realize Yugioh attracts the same kind of people as fighting games (aka people that think it's normal to act like thugs and gangsters)? It shouldn't exactly be surprising that sexism, theft, and being generally disruptive are huge problems in the Yugioh community.

Cool casual racism.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Pyrolocutus posted:

A store in my current city (not that one) has also banned adult Yu-Gi-Oh players, and I have to ask...what is it about the game that attracts that demographic?

I'm gonna guess it's because yugioh can be played on motorbikes if the third anime series is anything to go on.

KidDynamite posted:

Cool casual racism.

Actually I don't think that behavior is correlated to any racial categorization wrt yugioh players.

I think it may have something to do w/ the idea that Yugioh's game mechanics are awful for a competitive game. It's a fun game for goldfishing but not much else.

Zoness fucked around with this message at 17:28 on Apr 8, 2015

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Ultima66 posted:

You guys realize Yugioh attracts the same kind of people as fighting games (aka people that think it's normal to act like thugs and gangsters)? It shouldn't exactly be surprising that sexism, theft, and being generally disruptive are huge problems in the Yugioh community.

My LGS kicked out Yugioh for theft and other lovely behavior. it seems like a much younger crowd than magic.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Kill our wizard selves

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

Pyrolocutus posted:

Isn't it just a critical mass thing? Like new players try to play it, encounter a gamut of assholes, and are either repelled or welcomed into the brotherhood. It's like LoL or TF2.

Ultima66
Sep 2, 2008

There's definitely a critical mass aspect of it and it's also part of the reason there's less women playing Magic than men. People are just going to be more likely to do something when they see a lot of other people like them doing so, and less likely when everyone doing something is not like them.

Ultima66 fucked around with this message at 18:00 on Apr 8, 2015

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Our store has a women-only RPG night. I should ask why they don't have a similar women-only magic night.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Zoness posted:

Actually I don't think that behavior is correlated to any racial categorization wrt yugioh players.

I think it may have something to do w/ the idea that Yugioh's game mechanics are awful for a competitive game. It's a fun game for goldfishing but not much else.
"Thugs and gangsters" is a pretty clear dogwhistle. I admit I didn't really expect to see it in the loving Magic thread

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
So can anyone tell me what sweet card they accidentally spoiled on the mothership for Magic: Origins

Did they finally print Goku?

• Locked thread