Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Karnegal
Dec 24, 2005

Is it... safe?
Is there a quick way to unlock all the unique buildings? Like a mod or a save I can load? I want to sandbox it up, but I haven't unlocked a large swath of them in normal gameplay.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mills
Jun 13, 2003

Karnegal posted:

Is there a quick way to unlock all the unique buildings? Like a mod or a save I can load? I want to sandbox it up, but I haven't unlocked a large swath of them in normal gameplay.

I don't think I had to install anything for that. It's just an official mod if you go to mods, maybe!

Karnegal
Dec 24, 2005

Is it... safe?

Mills posted:

I don't think I had to install anything for that. It's just an official mod if you go to mods, maybe!

I clicked the unlock all mod, and that lets me start with airports and such, but the unique buildings are backed out except for the ones I'e already earned.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Karnegal posted:

Loading and saving a map with all the buildings built will unlock them for all future maps. Try Los Santos.

The Butcher
Apr 20, 2005

Well, at least we tried.
Nap Ghost
Uhh okay I should probably just copy some real world interchange designs instead of trying to wing it.

I'm going to have to come to terms with the fact that I'm not a naturally gifted traffic engineer. :negative:

Karnegal
Dec 24, 2005

Is it... safe?

MikeJF posted:

Loading and saving a map with all the buildings built will unlock them for all future maps. Try Los Santos.

Thanks, that did the trick!

Longbaugh01
Jul 13, 2001

"Surprise, muthafucka."
In a panic, I found a use for those dikes in Some Roads...

...POOPSHIELDS!: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=421585376

...though there's been some unfortunate collateral damage due to unintended high waters (clean though!) and apparently poop defense is really expensive and I burned through 200 grand without realizing it. Whoops!

Longbaugh01 fucked around with this message at 08:56 on Apr 8, 2015

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

The Butcher posted:

Uhh okay I should probably just copy some real world interchange designs instead of trying to wing it.

I'm going to have to come to terms with the fact that I'm not a naturally gifted traffic engineer. :negative:

This website was recommended to me.

http://www.autobahnkreuze-online.de/

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

GrossMurpel posted:

This website was recommended to me.

http://www.autobahnkreuze-online.de/

They are probably really surprised and wonder "Why are our pageviews going up so quickly all of a sudden :confused:"

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you
Alright this is driving me crazy...

The game will randomly give me an error when I try to continue my save: "Object reference not set to an instance of an object". My city renders really weird, it's like the map is broken.

Also when that happens, I can't quit to desktop. It just spins and spins, I have to force quit.

I tried disabling all my mods, no luck. I can start a new city though, so I guess it's a case of my old city being corrupted somehow?

Anyone run into this?

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

xzzy posted:

I hate when my attempts to deal with a disaster of downtown traffic congestion only result in making the problem worse.

I mean it's the oldest part of town and I wasn't really thinking super long term when I started the city, but adding routes, roundabouts and wider roads should help more than hinder, right? :qq:

Wider roads can often make things worse, actually. The pathing seems to just try and find the fastest route (without considering congestion), and the wider roads have a higher speed limit, so if a road is getting slammed all of the time, it's quite possible that upgrading it will make the situation worse, because you've just made it a better route for the people who weren't already jamming the poo poo out of it. This is also why making an access road out of highway ramps is an awful idea.

Routes, if you aren't careful, can just add more traffic lights that slow poo poo down, and roundabouts will straight up lock if they aren't big enough, and the game doesn't use all of the lanes very efficiently, anyway.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Where we're going, we dont need paved roads.

That red section is the worst traffic in the entire city, thats why its red. Hahahahaha.

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

You monster. It looks like some kind of Alaskan hellhole.

BeerMarket
Feb 5, 2014

triplexpac posted:

Alright this is driving me crazy...

The game will randomly give me an error when I try to continue my save: "Object reference not set to an instance of an object". My city renders really weird, it's like the map is broken.

Also when that happens, I can't quit to desktop. It just spins and spins, I have to force quit.

I tried disabling all my mods, no luck. I can start a new city though, so I guess it's a case of my old city being corrupted somehow?

Anyone run into this?

I'm having similar issues. It seems to have happened since I installed the Traffic++ mod and then saved. My geometry is all screwed up and the simulation is stuck in a paused state.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Wallet posted:

Routes, if you aren't careful, can just add more traffic lights that slow poo poo down, and roundabouts will straight up lock if they aren't big enough, and the game doesn't use all of the lanes very efficiently, anyway.

Game really needs some openttd style controls so I can unleash my inner sperg without having to exploit the different road types.

There's a mod on the workshop Injust spotted that allows toggling stop lights on any intersection. Anyone tried it and have experiences whether it actually allows improvements?

Eskaton
Aug 13, 2014
Am I the only one who turns the starting highway into parallel one-ways so I don't have a traffic hell at the entrance?

BeerMarket posted:

I'm having similar issues. It seems to have happened since I installed the Traffic++ mod and then saved. My geometry is all screwed up and the simulation is stuck in a paused state.

If it's Traffic++, go into the mod manager, go into the options for Traffic++ and run in ghost mode (It's at the bottom of the window).

Eskaton fucked around with this message at 15:38 on Apr 8, 2015

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Eskaton posted:

Am I the only one who turns the starting highway into parallel one-ways so I don't have a traffic hell at the entrance?

I do for a small distance, but you're gonna have to join those roads at some point unless you make the entire city one ways. It's really just pushing the clusterfuck further down the road.

I just let the mess stew until I unlock highways and can build additional access.

Eskaton
Aug 13, 2014

xzzy posted:

I do for a small distance, but you're gonna have to join those roads at some point unless you make the entire city one ways. It's really just pushing the clusterfuck further down the road.

I just let the mess stew until I unlock highways and can build additional access.

It has worked out perfectly fine for me. as long as you put your industrial at the entrance, commercial just downstream of it, then residential, you shouldn't have much issue.

give me thread
Dec 29, 2008
Ah man I'm loving sick of Traffic++ breaking! I wish I could just remove that piece of poo poo but my main save game relies on it. Arrrr! Sorry had to vent.

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

There is another mode that allows you to make cars unable to turn left or right on intersections. Not sure what it is called.

BrainMeats
Aug 20, 2000

We have evolved beyond the need for posting.

Soiled Meat

xzzy posted:

There's a mod on the workshop Injust spotted that allows toggling stop lights on any intersection. Anyone tried it and have experiences whether it actually allows improvements?

Traffic lights are forbidden in my city.

It's roughly equivalent to turning a regular intersection into a tiny roundabout. It helps with mild to moderate traffic but heavy congestion is still going to cause trouble.

Cephalocidal
Dec 23, 2005

BrainMeats posted:

Traffic lights are forbidden in my city.

It's roughly equivalent to turning a regular intersection into a tiny roundabout. It helps with mild to moderate traffic but heavy congestion is still going to cause trouble.

newdelhi.gif

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

What I'd really like is to give certain routes the right of way, everyone else gets a stop sign or something and has to sit there until they get an opening.

Can sort of do that with highways and onramps but it's super kludgy.

Setting stop light timers would be fun too.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Light-controlled intersections just need to be smart enough to not have phases with conflicting movements and they'd be at least twice as efficient. That might even also make SPUIs work as intended.

BeerMarket
Feb 5, 2014

xzzy posted:

What I'd really like is to give certain routes the right of way, everyone else gets a stop sign or something and has to sit there until they get an opening.

Can sort of do that with highways and onramps but it's super kludgy.

Setting stop light timers would be fun too.

Based on the traffic light toggle mod, it looks like you have to give an entire intersection traffic lights, or an entire intersection stop signs.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I saw some video of a dude working on an insane intersection mod that lets you set priority, set if the intersection has signs or lights, control the signs (stop, yield, priority) and then even go into stop lights and manually set up phases and timing. It's not out yet but I almost don't want to play until it comes out.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Baronjutter posted:

I saw some video of a dude working on an insane intersection mod that lets you set priority, set if the intersection has signs or lights, control the signs (stop, yield, priority) and then even go into stop lights and manually set up phases and timing. It's not out yet but I almost don't want to play until it comes out.

Ambitious but cool if it happens. We might actually have to read up on traffic engineering!

crabrock
Aug 2, 2002

I

AM

MAGNIFICENT

I would love something that banned turns. like i want my highway offramp to only allow right turns, so that people exiting to the other side of the street have to use the slightly longer ramp that loops under and around, so that they only make right turns. it'd solve so many traffic problems.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

There is a mod that lets you control turning lanes.

crabrock
Aug 2, 2002

I

AM

MAGNIFICENT

yeah, well, GOOD THEN.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

nielsm posted:

And no one is linking it :argh:

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

xzzy posted:

Ambitious but cool if it happens. We might actually have to read up on traffic engineering!

I wish I could find the video. It looked to be all working, he was just ironing out the last bugs. Simple and good interface too. I wasn't 100% sure how the traffic light "programming" worked but it seemed you'd manipulate the lights in real time which the intersection then would record and repeat.

Subyng
May 4, 2013

nielsm posted:

Well actually it only allows to to restrict turning, you can't add turning lanes, for example (yet).

Traffic lights and turning lanes mod really needs to be in the OP so people can stop asking every page.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

give me thread posted:

Ah man I'm loving sick of Traffic++ breaking! I wish I could just remove that piece of poo poo but my main save game relies on it. Arrrr! Sorry had to vent.

Go to the modder's steam profile and find his other mod, it's the last stable version of Traffic++ before poo poo all broke. You can replace one with the other and your save game should be fine (the old one doesn't support buses on pedestrian roads though).

You want to try to avoid having a bunch of closely packed intersections in a row. If I were you I'd start by deleting that bottom-most ramp connecting to the road, and also that lone ramp connecting the overpass to the bottom part of the highway. They're redundant and with them out of the way you have room to rebuild the on/off ramps connecting to the bottom highway so they aren't such huge loops and save your drivers a little time, and also so you can space the intersections apart a little more.

That'll result in just a basic overpass/highway set up that should be fine for light to medium traffic. It'll also save you a little money on maintenance costs.

Moridin920 fucked around with this message at 17:14 on Apr 8, 2015

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Moridin920 posted:

Go to the modder's steam profile and find his other mod, it's the last stable version of Traffic++ before poo poo all broke. You can replace one with the other and your save game should be fine (the old one doesn't support buses on pedestrian roads though).

Traffic++ broke my main save about a week ago and there was nothing I could do about it. Replacing it like you suggest didn't do anything, Ghost mode didn't do anything, broke my city and hosed up my geometry.

Traffic++ and Steam Workshop's 'let's update mods when the mod author says to instead of offering a prompt for the player' is a bad combination.

I started a new city without traffic++ or his other mod and wouldn't you know it my game is quite stable!

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

KakerMix posted:

Traffic++ broke my main save about a week ago and there was nothing I could do about it. Replacing it like you suggest didn't do anything, Ghost mode didn't do anything, broke my city and hosed up my geometry.

Traffic++ and Steam Workshop's 'let's update mods when the mod author says to instead of offering a prompt for the player' is a bad combination.

Yeah I really loving hate that. I wish that could be changed somehow. I also don't like having assets disappearing because they got taken off the workshop; somebody disappeared a power plant on me.

Did you uninstall Traffic++, load the game (just to the main menu), exit, then subscribe to the old Traffic++? It's not going to work if you just unsubbed and subbed the other without the game load.

Domattee
Mar 5, 2012

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

And no one is linking it :argh:

There should be a mod for that

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=412101021

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I got no love for you
Sigh I really liked the Traffic++ paths that only let pedestrians & service vehicles through. Is there something comparable that won't destroy my game?

Hubis
May 18, 2003

Boy, I wish we had one of those doomsday machines...

triplexpac posted:

Sigh I really liked the Traffic++ paths that only let pedestrians & service vehicles through. Is there something comparable that won't destroy my game?

Zonable Pedestrian Paths - Stable

e: friends don't let friends use Traffic++

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I got no love for you

Hubis posted:

Zonable Pedestrian Paths - Stable

e: friends don't let friends use Traffic++

Thanks!

While I'm starting a new city, are there any other unstable mods out there people should steer away from?