Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Lockback posted:

I think some people were upset because Rolling Stone said they weren't going to fire anybody. On one hand it seems like a screw up like that should cost someone their job, on the other firing people isn't exactly a solution.

Reputation isn't totally everything in news, but it's pretty drat close. Saying you did absolutely nothing after a story you sold as a monster that turned out to be completely false is incredibly damaging, especially for a has-been publication that's trying desperately to remain relevant.

E: And now it sounds like the fraternity is suing RS for defamation

DJExile fucked around with this message at 18:08 on Apr 6, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
To bring this back to sports (in the sense that it's by a sportswriter and bowfishing is technically sport) and things that aren't deeply upsetting, Holly Anderson's piece on a Florida Man is one of the funniest things I've ever read. It apparently came out in late February but it was just brought to my attention yesterday by Jon Bois' twitter and I don't remember seeing anything about it in this thread.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Henchman of Santa posted:

To bring this back to sports (in the sense that it's by a sportswriter and bowfishing is technically sport) and things that aren't deeply upsetting, Holly Anderson's piece on a Florida Man is one of the funniest things I've ever read. It apparently came out in late February but it was just brought to my attention yesterday by Jon Bois' twitter and I don't remember seeing anything about it in this thread.

quote:

For those of you scoring at home, that 80-pound bow borrowed from Oliver’s brother, Vince III, was heavy weaponry even for killing deer, and almost three times more powerful than needed for the task at hand. Complicating matters that fateful afternoon was the DIY land-to-sea strategy employed by Oliver’s brother when making his own bowfishing rig, which involved grabbing that oversize compound bow intended for taking down land-based quadrupeds and duct-taping to it a child’s Snoopy fishing reel.

This is hilarious

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Holly Anderson is one of my favorite writers at Grantland, even though I mostly only read her pop culture stuff because I don't care about college football. Her exhaustive rankings of the Fast & Furious franchise was also quite good.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.

howe_sam posted:

Holly Anderson is one of my favorite writers at Grantland, even though I mostly only read her pop culture stuff because I don't care about college football. Her exhaustive rankings of the Fast & Furious franchise was also quite good.

She's also super cool in person.

Algund Eenboom
May 4, 2014

i cant find it myself so i would like to request a link to the sports article where a guy talks about all the cool sports events a kidnapping victim missed when she was locked in a shed for ten years. thank you

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Cool and good. posted:

i cant find it myself so i would like to request a link to the sports article where a guy talks about all the cool sports events a kidnapping victim missed when she was locked in a shed for ten years. thank you

LARGE THE HEAD posted:

It's a much worse sports column than the time Mark Whicker left the yard, that much is certain.

Last page....

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:
Looks like a NY Post basketball writer doesn't quite understand how Siri works

Shangri-Law School
Feb 19, 2013

Brian Grazer announced 17 more episodes of Arrested Development on Simmons' show.

Algund Eenboom
May 4, 2014

Lockback posted:

Last page....

Ah,

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

zakharov posted:

Looks like a NY Post basketball writer doesn't quite understand how Siri works

hahaha Godfathers is the trashiest piece of poo poo ever. I went in there once after the Pens won the Stanley Cup and there was a pregnant 20-year-old dancing.

Parlett316
Dec 6, 2002

Jon Snow is viciously stabbed by his friends in the night's watch for wanting to rescue Mance Rayder from Ramsay Bolton

sportsgenius86 posted:

hahaha Godfathers is the trashiest piece of poo poo ever. I went in there once after the Pens won the Stanley Cup and there was a pregnant 20-year-old dancing.

Hey, you know she puts out.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

I wanna know what the gently caress the guy was doing in Wheeling

e: besides bad strip clubs, obviously

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

sportsgenius86 posted:

he was making a long drive back to wherever in New York from Indianapolis after the Final 4, and he was just plowing down I-70 which put him right through Wheeling

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

There's two options here:

1) he gets to Wheeling and thinks "yeah I'm going to stop in a strip club here"
2) he's cruising along and thinks "poo poo I really need to swing by a strip club like right now."

Neither is reflective of good life choices

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Parlett316 posted:

Hey, you know she puts out.
Baby's gonna be born right there at the pole.

skaboomizzy
Nov 12, 2003

There is nothing I want to be. There is nothing I want to do.
I don't even have an image of what I want to be. I have nothing. All that exists is zero.
RIP Myron Cope.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rLapVsVZ7V4

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.

sportsgenius86 posted:

Huh, I wonder what someone driving from NYC just having covered a Final 4 game in Indianapolis would be doing driving through Pittsburgh-Youngstown: WV Extension??? :iiam:

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

Huh, I wonder what someone driving from NYC just having covered a Final 4 game in Indianapolis would be doing driving through Pittsburgh-Youngstown: WV Extension??? :iiam:

pardon me for not having Steve Serby's schedule memorized.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

sportsgenius86 posted:

pardon me for not having Steve Serby's schedule memorized.

it's a pretty easy thing to figure out with more than a couple seconds of work

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

Who cares

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
I liked this feature about former NCAA coach Jason Rabedeaux's death in Saigon.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Katie Nolan is dropping more bombs, this time on one of her fellow Fox Sports people.

Katie Nolan rules.

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

They really need to give her a studio and an audience if they're gonna have her do the Stewart/Oliver thing.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

zakharov posted:

They really need to give her a studio and an audience if they're gonna have her do the Stewart/Oliver thing.

Yeah it's a crime to give her that phone booth of a studio.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

zakharov posted:

Just give her the Daily Show

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

sportsgenius86 posted:

Just give her the Daily Show

Or give her a show on Comedy Central called "The Sports Show"

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Mahoning posted:

Or give her a show on Comedy Central called "The Sports Show"

They tried that with Norm MacDonald.

There was also the Onion Sportsdome but it was very short-lived and thinking about it makes me sad because Get Out of My Face doesn't exist anymore.

The B_36
Jul 10, 2012

DJExile posted:

Yeah it's a crime to give her that phone booth of a studio.

I've never heard of her before now, but after watching some of her stuff, I think a smaller, more informal setting really works for her style. That style doesn't always translate well into a big studio type show.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

They tried that with Norm MacDonald.

There was also the Onion Sportsdome but it was very short-lived and thinking about it makes me sad because Get Out of My Face doesn't exist anymore.

Who Would You Kill? is a segment that should be on every sports show.

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it
Katie Nolan is awesome and is a pro Twitter follow

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
Puja Patel over at Deadspin wrote a pretty good take-down of the media's portrayal of the redemption of Ray Rice: http://deadspin.com/leave-janay-rice-out-of-her-husbands-bullshit-redemptio-1697717292

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

An ESPN reporter has been given a week off for cussing out a towing company worker

Parlett316
Dec 6, 2002

Jon Snow is viciously stabbed by his friends in the night's watch for wanting to rescue Mance Rayder from Ramsay Bolton

That's DC's own Britt McHenry. Ridiculous hotty who was breaking out all the juicy locker room division with the Washington Redskins.

WayAbvPar
Mar 11, 2009

Ah- Smug Mode.

So Simmons gets three weeks for calling Roger Goodell a liar (which, of course, he is), and this sociopath gets a week. I guess no one at ESPN is currently loving Simmons.

Parlett316
Dec 6, 2002

One degraded a teller after their car was towed, the other publicly degraded the commissioner of a very lucrative business partner. Apples, oranges.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

Parlett316 posted:

One degraded a teller after their car was towed, the other publicly degraded the commissioner of a very lucrative business partner. Apples, oranges.

One is a seemingly decent human being who told the truth about a lovely human being, which is of course his job. This doesn't really reflect very poorly on ESPN as a whole, at least to the general public. The other was just being a lovely awful human being, which of course makes ESPN look VERY bad to the general public. At least temporarily.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
No one in the general public gives a poo poo if she's an rear end in a top hat, she's hot!

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

:lol: What a piece of poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Mahoning posted:

One is a seemingly decent human being who told the truth about a lovely human being, which is of course his job. This doesn't really reflect very poorly on ESPN as a whole, at least to the general public. The other was just being a lovely awful human being, which of course makes ESPN look VERY bad to the general public. At least temporarily.
This also seemingly decent human being also publicly dared his bosses to suspend him, which probably contributed to the length of the suspension.