Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

gohmak posted:

For you lefties, do you plan to have the crown facing your hand or elbow? He kept switching in the video.

Facing the hand seems to be the most convenient.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

suddenlyissoon posted:

I can't pinpoint it but there's always something about the Verge's video reviews that enrage me. Maybe it's smugness.

The bar part is very weird. Like a recreation of something that really happened (being distracted by the watch during a meeting), with the real people instead of actors.

Spatule
Mar 18, 2003
You know what would kick rear end ? A dumb analog watch compatible with Apple's nifty bands.

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
The 1.0 effect is a real thing.

I got an iPad 1 and was annoyed by the lag after a few days. My reptile brain engaged with this first of its kind technology and said "argh this thing sucks why isn't it faster"

It sounds like watch 1.0 will make me regret it too, even though it looks pretty neat to me.

coldplay chiptunes
Sep 17, 2010

by Lowtax

Spatule posted:

You know what would kick rear end ? A dumb analog watch compatible with Apple's nifty bands.
Why? The bands are stupid expensive.

coldplay chiptunes
Sep 17, 2010

by Lowtax

zen death robot posted:

I waited for the iPad 2 and regretted nothing
Sorry about your non-retina screen.

coldplay chiptunes
Sep 17, 2010

by Lowtax

zen death robot posted:

I have an iPad Air 2 now
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vD94dVu8lqQ

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

zen death robot posted:

I have an iPad Air 2 now
Good call. We should meet up and AirDrop files between our iPad Air 2s some time.

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe
I feel like if you're gonna get one, you might as well get a Sport and splurge on a more expensive one when the technology blossoms in a year or two.

Unless you're an Apple employee, then whatever

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe
Waiting for the Watch Air 3, myself. That's when they really get good.

just_a_guy
Feb 18, 2010

Look into my eyes!
Welp. I'me getting a black sport when my tax refund shows up. If i come to the conclusion that this is really something usefull I Will splurge for a black steel in a few gens (that's The One that really caught my eye)

I am just pissed at The premium we have to pay in Europe. Its 60$ above The US Price... All apple products carry a similar premium in Europe but this One really annoys me.

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

* For the Ghost Who Walks Funny
They just added pricing for extra bands to the Apple Store app. The link bracelet is like €500. Wow.

One thing the reviews and Apple don't seem to mention is if the watch has a timer, like an interval timer for the gym or for kitchen stuff. Does anybody know?

just_a_guy
Feb 18, 2010

Look into my eyes!

Zwille posted:

They just added pricing for extra bands to the Apple Store app. The link bracelet is like €500. Wow.

One thing the reviews and Apple don't seem to mention is if the watch has a timer, like an interval timer for the gym or for kitchen stuff. Does anybody know?

This is an uninformed opinion. But I am surge that if it doesn't have One an app Will come Out. Looking for a tabata timer? That would be a neat feature

lionlegs
Feb 16, 2005
Ask me about my lego spheres!

Zwille posted:

John Gruber seems to say there is one:

daringfireball.net posted:

...There are ways around this — I could switch to the stopwatch, start it, and then start grinding my coffee....

gohmak
Feb 12, 2004
cookies need love

sirbeefalot posted:

Waiting for the Watch Air 3, myself. That's when they really get good.

I sold my ipad 1st gen for $100 less than I paid on open day. I'm going to splurge on the Link Bracelet and the only way Apple can screw me is if the @Watch 3 won't be compatible with these bands. I'll be like, "heh your @watch 2 can't even do this."

gohmak fucked around with this message at 18:40 on Apr 8, 2015

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
For what it's worth, Apple has said they will have a software update available before launch that should fix the lag issues the Verge review talked about.

Haggins
Jul 1, 2004

Nut Bunnies posted:

I feel like if you're gonna get one, you might as well get a Sport and splurge on a more expensive one when the technology blossoms in a year or two.

I'm thinking this is a good idea. My only concern is I wonder how much more scratch resistant the non sport is. I would probably hawk the old one when v2 comes out.

Mr Funkface
Dec 21, 2009

gohmak posted:

For you lefties, do you plan to have the crown facing your hand or elbow? He kept switching in the video.

Does it not flip the screen if you want? Surely there's an orientation toggle.

gohmak
Feb 12, 2004
cookies need love

Mr Funkface posted:

Does it not flip the screen if you want? Surely there's an orientation toggle.

It does but in the Verge video he had it elbow facing in some shots. I figured there may be a reason that I am over looking.

just_a_guy
Feb 18, 2010

Look into my eyes!
I have doubts on The future proofing of The bands. The watch Will inevitably slim down and the bands will need to slim though. For me that's a good reason not to splurge on gen 1 bands. But drat i like The links one

gohmak
Feb 12, 2004
cookies need love
This is by far the most informative review. https://www.yahoo.com/tech/the-apple-watch-half-computer-half-jewelry-115815015484.html

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Pebble Time's eInk display can't animate? Ok.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Bug free :what: Yes, that sure sounds like the 1st gen of a new product on pre-release software

ufarn
May 30, 2009
I was surprised how lukewarm the press was on the watch; was surprised that The Verge were as critical and analytical as they were, and even Gruber didn't seem like he could work up a lot of enthusiasm for it.

Mr Funkface
Dec 21, 2009
Suddenly phones are so difficult to operate! "Fumbling" with your phone, "hauling" it out of your pocket. Now I hate my phone!

Also remember Steve Jobs died this is important to the review.

Kobayashi
Aug 13, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo

ufarn posted:

I was surprised how lukewarm the press was on the watch; was surprised that The Verge were as critical and analytical as they were, and even Gruber didn't seem like he could work up a lot of enthusiasm for it.

Yeah Gruber's review ended pretty abruptly.

enMTW
Feb 19, 2015

Kobayashi posted:

Yeah Gruber's review ended pretty abruptly.

He says it is a two parter. 'Conspicuously absent in this nearly 6,000-word review is any mention of Apple Watch’s user interface or interaction model. That’s not because I don’t have significant comments, but because I have so many.'

-Dethstryk-
Oct 20, 2000
What you're seeing in a lot of these reviews are overall negative impressions couched in flowery prose so the journalists don't lose access to Apple products and events. It's really silly, but it's fun to see it on display so prominently.

I imagine Apple will fix a lot of the software issues. And I'd bet the second generation will knock it out of the park (and look a lot better.)

enMTW
Feb 19, 2015

-Dethstryk- posted:

What you're seeing in a lot of these reviews are overall negative impressions couched in flowery prose so the journalists don't lose access to Apple products and events. It's really silly, but it's fun to see it on display so prominently.

If you think Apple pulls review units from people who write negative impressions, you are loving insane.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

enMTW posted:

If you think Apple pulls review units from people who write negative impressions, you are loving insane.

Of course they don't pull review units; they just don't grant as much access to the offending journalist in the future.

enMTW
Feb 19, 2015

Rastor posted:

Of course they don't pull review units; they just don't grant as much access to the offending journalist in the future.

There is not a single incident of that happening. Gizmodo is the only site to get blacklisted post-iPhone (AFAIK) and that was for buying stolen property. No actual specific person has seen reduced access as a result of negative writing. Even dumbfuck Joshua Topolsky didn't get penalized for writing an iOS 7 attack article in the time between it being unveiled and the beta seed going up on the Dev Center.

Where is Mossberg's blacklisting for his MobileMe criticism? Various iPods, etc?

enMTW fucked around with this message at 19:40 on Apr 8, 2015

Haggins
Jul 1, 2004

just_a_guy posted:

I have doubts on The future proofing of The bands. The watch Will inevitably slim down and the bands will need to slim though. For me that's a good reason not to splurge on gen 1 bands. But drat i like The links one

I have a feeling in about 6 months or so there will be hundreds of third party band choices that will be cheaper, better, more unique/cooler or some combination of the three. I feel like it's going to be a similar situation to phone/ipad cases where some Apple stuff might stand the test of time, but better value will come from third parties.

Probably a good reason not to spend $500 on a band.

Kobayashi
Aug 13, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo
I'm really interested to see how all these new ideas feed into iOS9. I'm almost certain that the new iPhone with have force tap and tactic feedback (although we'll have to wait for the next iPhone event to see that on display), but what about the Activity app, or the new communication hub? I'm sure some of that will filter back onto the phone itself.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

enMTW posted:

There is not a single incident of that happening. Gizmodo is the only site to get blacklisted post-iPhone (AFAIK) and that was for buying stolen property.

Where is Mossberg's blacklisting for his MobileMe criticism? Various iPods, etc?

Here are the first three results from a Google search for your enjoyment:

http://www.cultofmac.com/255618/how-apples-blacklist-manipulates-the-press/

http://9to5mac.com/2014/08/29/seeing-through-the-illusion-understanding-apples-mastery-of-the-media/

http://valleywag.gawker.com/how-apple-owns-the-media-1630628325

The fact that Apple controls the media is widely known and well documented.

enMTW
Feb 19, 2015

You've linked to three disreputable sources. Gurman's article is particularly dumb. Nothing he describes is any different from any other press organization.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

"They didn't do it, and even if they did, everybody does it."

enMTW
Feb 19, 2015

Rastor posted:

"They didn't do it, and even if they did, everybody does it."

They do....nothing. They don't respond to questions they don't want to respond to, that's the most damming revelation in Gurman's article.

Apple does not penalize journalists for writing negative stories. Period. The End.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

enMTW posted:

Apple does not penalize journalists for writing negative stories. Period. The End.

Here's another article about it. There was also the Computer Bild thing with bendgate. And going the other direction, there was the time Fortune documented the Apple PR pecking order.

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?
Don't bite the hand that feeds you imho

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

enMTW
Feb 19, 2015

Rastor posted:

Here's another article about it. There was also the Computer Bild thing with bendgate. And going the other direction, there was the time Fortune documented the Apple PR pecking order.

These articles don't say what you think they say.

• Locked thread