Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Cephalocidal posted:

newdelhi.gif

Reminds me of this, The Basics of Driving in China: A diagram.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Moridin920 posted:

Did you uninstall Traffic++, load the game (just to the main menu), exit, then subscribe to the old Traffic++? It's not going to work if you just unsubbed and subbed the other without the game load.

I did, I did it all proper. I don't trust that mod author at all, more power to you guys though!

Hubis
May 18, 2003

Boy, I wish we had one of those doomsday machines...
I haven't tried it out yet, but this one looks like a godsend:

Better Budget

It adds budget sliders to the various info panels:

e:

"American" Sirens mod

Hubis fucked around with this message at 18:17 on Apr 8, 2015

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Hubis posted:

Zonable Pedestrian Paths - Stable

e: friends don't let friends use Traffic++

Removed Trafic++ and added these to the OP

Bob le Moche
Jul 10, 2011

I AM A HORRIBLE TANKIE MORON
WHO LONGS TO SUCK CHAVISTA COCK !

I SUGGEST YOU IGNORE ANY POSTS MADE BY THIS PERSON ABOUT VENEZUELA, POLITICS, OR ANYTHING ACTUALLY !

(This title paid for by money stolen from PDVSA)
Are there any well documented resources on how to go about doing dll modding? I find it kind of weird that they both seem to encourage these kind of mods but also did not release the game source. Is the idea that we have to "earn" it by decompiling and reverse-engineering everything? I'm tempted to not really bother and just wait for the community to take care of all that and to document it so I can start modding.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

I want a turning lane mod so bad. I want my two way two lane road to turn into a three lane road at intersections with a dedicated left turn lane. This would make 4 way stop so much more efficent because you could disgorge all those left turners right away in one quick swoop with minimal time blocking opposing traffic.

PoizenJam
Dec 2, 2006

Damn!!!
It's PoizenJam!!!
If I unsubscribe to a building that is already constructed in my city, will it break my save?

Trying to trim my mod collection because I'm constantly crashing when returning to main menu from the asset editor or the game itself.

BallsFalls
Oct 18, 2013

Bob le Moche posted:

Are there any well documented resources on how to go about doing dll modding? I find it kind of weird that they both seem to encourage these kind of mods but also did not release the game source. Is the idea that we have to "earn" it by decompiling and reverse-engineering everything? I'm tempted to not really bother and just wait for the community to take care of all that and to document it so I can start modding.

It's Unity so mostly C#/.NET, you can find some stuff by checking the game DLLs using a CLR decompiler

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Poizen Jam posted:

If I unsubscribe to a building that is already constructed in my city, will it break my save?

Nope, buildings that don't exist anymore just completely disappear.

PoizenJam
Dec 2, 2006

Damn!!!
It's PoizenJam!!!
As if they were bulldozed, or will I have some broken placeholder lot with no model that I'll have to seek and destroy?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

As if they were bulldozed.. they just completely cease to exist. :v:

PoizenJam
Dec 2, 2006

Damn!!!
It's PoizenJam!!!
Thanks. Time to pare down my 65+ page collection of mods significantly. These load times are getting ridiculous and the crashing is super annoying. It'll give me a chance to restrict the style of my city too.

Bel Monte
Oct 9, 2012
I've found most buildings aren't worth the load they present on you.

My rule of thumb is 10mb or more boots you out the door.
Most buildings do not need to be above 10mb, and if they are someone doesn't know how to optimize. Textures don't need to be HD against a non-HD background (other buildings etc), and you don't need all those window polys because that microscopic ledge is what completes the building.

Doing that keeps my building list very small.

Also, parks. I like all these different sized parks, but most aren't anything special with anything unique in them. I just have a few 1x1s and am waiting for original content to start showing up, like the baseball and football stadiums. I'd like to make my own content and props but I don't know how, despite working in several 3D modeling programs before. Sketchup's my go to, but I don't know how you'd restrict the polys on that at all...

Elukka
Feb 18, 2011

For All Mankind

Bel Monte posted:

Sketchup's my go to, but I don't know how you'd restrict the polys on that at all...
Sketchup models are made of vertices, edges and faces like any model. It even enforces flat faces. So in other words you have exactly as many polys as you have faces. Cut them up into triangles or quads so the game won't hate them and you should be fine. (presuming you find a way to export it out of Sketchup, anyway)

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you
Yeah I haven't bothered downloading many buildings at all. I figured I would wait until it all shakes out and someone has a convenient way to get all the best ones.

Enos Shenk
Nov 3, 2011

People keep whining on my building workshop pages about them not being real-world scale. Guess what, dipshits, nothing in the game is real-world scale. And I'm not a sperg, so I model buildings to fit the style and look good.

This lead to someone linking in a comment to some thread on Paradox forums where he posted a whole pile of custom buildings where he had compiled the real-world height of each and determined if they needed to be scaled up or down. And he mentioned a model of the Burj on the Workshop clocks in at 100mb.

One hundred cocksucking megabytes. For one building. And the failure that made it showed up to defend it in broken english.

Jesus.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Unfortunately there's people out there that actually want that kind of ridiculousness.

Someday they're gonna post a screenshot to /r/gaming and get thousands of upvotes because the game looks photoreal.

Bel Monte
Oct 9, 2012
And it'll play just like a photo too.

Raskolnikov
Nov 25, 2003

I want an entire brutalist architecture building set. I know I just have to wait for enough mods to come out. :)

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Not to scale as in not the exact size of the real building, or not to scale as in 1m tall doors? I'm all for "selective compression" where everything is to scale but there's less of it, but things like floor heights and doors and poo poo should be to scale.

PoizenJam
Dec 2, 2006

Damn!!!
It's PoizenJam!!!

Bel Monte posted:

I've found most buildings aren't worth the load they present on you.

My rule of thumb is 10mb or more boots you out the door.
Most buildings do not need to be above 10mb, and if they are someone doesn't know how to optimize. Textures don't need to be HD against a non-HD background (other buildings etc), and you don't need all those window polys because that microscopic ledge is what completes the building.

Is there a quick way to check the size of buildings you've already subscribed to?

MyFaceBeHi
Apr 9, 2008

I was popular, once.

Raskolnikov posted:

I want an entire brutalist architecture building set. I know I just have to wait for enough mods to come out. :)

If a brutalist DLC comes out I would buy the poo poo out of it! CONCRETE BLOCKS FOR ALL!

wit
Jul 26, 2011
Could someone else test something out to see if its my imagination? Post patch, try and flip the direction of your one way lanes with a right click. If they're connected to any kind of ramped junction its now telling me slope too steep. Ive only noticed because I made an rear end backwards intersection in the editor a few days ago and after plopping a lot of them down, have had to manually go around flipping them which, before playing today didn't seem to be a problem. Wasn't a problem, but now its gettin' all uppity. I have to admit, its taken this long before I've had to fight with the interface on anything other than the odd snap to roads, its been otherwise exceptionally fluid and intuitive.

Bel Monte
Oct 9, 2012

Poizen Jam posted:

Is there a quick way to check the size of buildings you've already subscribed to?

Unfortunately not from what I can tell. My recommendation, if you had to, remove all buildings and start from scratch. Only download the ones you really like and are under ten megabytes. Later there will be better buildings but most on the workshop are not very interesting. There's good stuff there, but the best stuff is still months down the line.

Longbaugh01
Jul 13, 2001

"Surprise, muthafucka."

xzzy posted:

There's a mod on the workshop Injust spotted that allows toggling stop lights on any intersection. Anyone tried it and have experiences whether it actually allows improvements?

I've found it's really useful for making sure you don't have lighted intersections too close together, and for intersections that should usually not be lighted like ones with offramps.

triplexpac posted:

While I'm starting a new city, are there any other unstable mods out there people should steer away from?

I know other people have used it without problems, but myself and many others have gotten CTDs using the AutoSave mod.

After the patch, all the Color Corrections show up in game with some weird generic name so I can't tell which is which, anyone else? This includes some of Chewbot's.

PoizenJam
Dec 2, 2006

Damn!!!
It's PoizenJam!!!

Bel Monte posted:

Unfortunately not from what I can tell. My recommendation, if you had to, remove all buildings and start from scratch. Only download the ones you really like and are under ten megabytes. Later there will be better buildings but most on the workshop are not very interesting. There's good stuff there, but the best stuff is still months down the line.

I think I'll keep the models for real world businesses (McDonalds, Starbucks, etc) as well as Gula's, DP's, and the New York building sets, and just manually purge the rest using your 10mb criteria.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Poizen Jam posted:

I think I'll keep the models for real world businesses (McDonalds, Starbucks, etc) as well as Gula's, DP's, and the New York building sets, and just manually purge the rest using your 10mb criteria.

Gula's newest building kinda sucks, unfortunately. It's detailed but built on the wrong scale, the doorways are about half the height of a pedestrian.

Domattee
Mar 5, 2012

Raskolnikov posted:

You are in luck! We at Smiling Zebra Inc. had some technical difficulties (AUTODESK :argh:), but despite those setbacks we'll release our Standardized Employment Center Set sometime Soon(TM)

I would post a render but 3ds Max is refusing to do what I ask.

Bel Monte
Oct 9, 2012

Domattee posted:

You are in luck! We at Smiling Zebra Inc. had some technical difficulties (AUTODESK :argh:), but despite those setbacks we'll release our Standardized Employment Center Set sometime Soon(TM)

I would post a render but 3ds Max is refusing to do what I ask.

PrtScrnSysRq!!! :f5:

Or whatever the hell it is Mac and Linux users do to take screen shots of their desktops.

Longbaugh01
Jul 13, 2001

"Surprise, muthafucka."

Bel Monte posted:

Or whatever the hell it is Mac and Linux users do to take screen shots of their desktops.

I think it involves human sacrifice.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Raskolnikov posted:

This would own, especially if I can recreate Habitat 67. :v:

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
Are there many/any brutalist things on the workshop so far? Anyone got links to them if so?

I saw zebra dude's post but just curious.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Longbaugh01 posted:

I think it involves human sacrifice.

⌘ + Shift + 4 and then draw a square. It's so easy to remember!

Though to its credit, the mac screenshot function saves it as png to your desktop while Windows still makes you paste it into something.

Linux of course has a command line tool to do it because merely pressing a button would be too easy.

Domattee
Mar 5, 2012

WIP obviously

3ds Max even makes screengrabs a pain.

Friction
Aug 15, 2001

Domattee posted:

WIP obviously

3ds Max even makes screengrabs a pain.

Long lines building! My favourite, how did you know?

Domattee
Mar 5, 2012

I googled "Brutalist Skyscraper" and the first image was that building menacing at me.

Also I can't texture worth poo poo but 3ds has a "tiles" map built in

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

You're going to bake down all those details into a normal map right?

Domattee
Mar 5, 2012

Kinda? It's going to lose at least a couple hundred polys as is but a lot of the detail is repeating stuff that will have to happen either to the entire building or not at all, so I have to check how bad the difference is in-game.

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect
I remember downloading a mod for Red Baron 3D and poo poo you could hardly see from the sky like trucks had 4096x4096 textures causing everything to choke to death. I'm so glad this proud modding tradition continues.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Enos Shenk posted:

People keep whining on my building workshop pages about them not being real-world scale. Guess what, dipshits, nothing in the game is real-world scale. And I'm not a sperg, so I model buildings to fit the style and look good.

This lead to someone linking in a comment to some thread on Paradox forums where he posted a whole pile of custom buildings where he had compiled the real-world height of each and determined if they needed to be scaled up or down. And he mentioned a model of the Burj on the Workshop clocks in at 100mb.

One hundred cocksucking megabytes. For one building. And the failure that made it showed up to defend it in broken english.

Jesus.

Is that the person who goes around to different building mods and posts a side by side comparison shot of all the modded buildings and is angry about how they aren't all to scale with each other? lol at that guy.