Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

or, as the case may be, in shallow, unmarked graves/the ravenous bellies of local fauna and/or kin

e. 1093: Magnus "Bare-feet" is crowned king of Norway. He tried to conquer basically every british island that wasn't Great Britain, with some genuine success including dublin

V. Illych L. fucked around with this message at 18:20 on Apr 8, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Someone near me has a WiFi hotspot called "Ruth Bader Ginsburg's iphone" lol

In other news a whopping 24% of my city came or to vote yesterday, now we're gonna have a run off election for mayor. Amazingly, the Koch funded Republican only got 14% of the vote so he's out.This is the state that just elected a total unknown Koch funded senator so that comes as a surprise.

site fucked around with this message at 18:21 on Apr 8, 2015

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

You look like you're still raking it in. Still killing 'em?

Berke Negri posted:

hating on someone for being a polish jew is ermmmmm not advised

No my scorn is reserved for the Greeks. Not at the moment but as soon as they stop being dirt poor and the Germans stop wailing on them.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

site posted:

Someone near me has a WiFi hotspot called "Ruth Bader Ginsberg's iphone" lol

go say hi to warz

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

Absurd Alhazred posted:

There was a song about ebony and ivory, too.

that black dude was cool and those mammoth people were cool

whatserface should have stayed with them rather than running off to hang with haughty proto-french eurotrash

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Les Ricains tuent et moi je mue
Mao Mao
Les fous sont rois et moi je bois
Mao Mao
Les bombes tonnent et moi je sonne
Mao Mao
Les bebes fuient et moi je fuis
Mao Mao

V. Illych L. posted:

or, as the case may be, in shallow, unmarked graves/the ravenous bellies of local fauna and/or kin

they also could have propsered and just moved on with their lives instead of writing every week

just found new family in whatever frontier area they were in

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Disinterested posted:

Greece still somewhat officially perpetuates bizarre 19th century style race myths about being a pure inheritor of ancient hellenic language, race and culture so Greeks often get trolled with the accusation that Greeks are slavs because Greece is actually real melting pot between the original loose hellenism + turks + slavs.

Ah, gotcha. That's pretty funny. I know a couple Greek nationalist a-holes; I'll be sure to bring the topic up with them.

Spaceman Future!
Feb 9, 2007

V. Illych L. posted:

Oh you becha' if they ended up in minnesohhda probibly ground up and served in pasties doncha know

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

quote:

Sneed: Hillary may want Rahm for presidential cabinet

Hillaryville . . .

Former Secretary of State Hillary Clinton, who is expected to announce her candidacy for president within the next few weeks, is not only this/close to Mayor Rahm Emanuel — but if she’s elected, it’s expected the Rahmster would become a member of her cabinet.

Rahmbo for SecDef

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Spaceman Future! posted:

Oh you becha' if they ended up in minnesohhda probibly ground up and served in pasties doncha know

"I guess that was your accomplice in the wood chipper!"

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

Disinterested posted:

Greece still somewhat officially perpetuates bizarre 19th century style race myths about being a pure inheritor of ancient hellenic language, race and culture so Greeks often get trolled with the accusation that Greeks are slavs because Greece is actually real melting pot between the original loose hellenism + turks + slavs.

This is p. funny to me considering how many 19th century Hellenists who got involved the war for independence wrote a lot about their horrible realisation that these weren't the Greeks they learned about in school.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

kustomkarkommando posted:

This is p. funny to me considering how many 19th century Hellenists who got involved the war for independence wrote a lot about their horrible realisation that these weren't the Greeks they learned about in school.

lord byron was the first weeaboo

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

Berke Negri posted:

they also could have propsered and just moved on with their lives instead of writing every week

just found new family in whatever frontier area they were in

i honestly don't really care either way, i just thought it was an interesting anecdote

you hear a lot about the successful immigrants to america. somewhat less about the disasters

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

Disinterested posted:

greece is turkey

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

R. Mute posted:

greece is turkey

hail satan

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao

though i thought migf said he was sephardi

though i like to tell myself he's just of one of those lost tribes that settled in pre-contact illinois the Mormons believe in

more american than america

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

You look like you're still raking it in. Still killing 'em?

kustomkarkommando posted:

Alexander was blond.

Also, women have no body hair, ok?

Berke Negri posted:

though i like to tell myself he's just of one of those lost tribes that settled in pre-contact illinois the Mormons believe in

The Garden of Eden is in Missouri, friend.

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

i just realised that in my mind's eye alexander is a hyperactive twink

i have no idea where i got that image of him

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Berke Negri posted:

my great-grandma immigrated from ottoman palestine, had land seized

Give me back my lands, Palestinian squatters!!! :argh:

Sharkie
Feb 4, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

V. Illych L. posted:

it's probably true tho

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

V. Illych L. posted:

he got real fat and died lumpy

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

paranoid randroid posted:

he got real fat and died lumpy

noooooo

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
am i the only one who thinks that the alexanderian conquest narrative of "and he could have conquered india if his men werent such quitters!" is total bullshit

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

p sure his men would have followed him as far as he took them after all his insane victories. probably he decided that "well i have most of the known world, perhaps try and make it into an actual empire" and then died

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

quote:

When asked about Tony Blair, Jowell stressed that the former prime minister is not a war criminal

:eyepop:

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

site posted:

Someone near me has a WiFi hotspot called "Ruth Bader Ginsburg's iphone" lol

Mine used to be ACORN Brothel. Dunno if it ever got any reaction out of anyone though, obviously. But I thought it was funny

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao

am i the only one who thinks that the alexanderian conquest narrative of "and he could have conquered india if his men werent such quitters!" is total bullshit

i thought the idea was that they were good on India and were getting ready to swing back around and tackle the western Mediterranean and then alexander was murdered

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

PupsOfWar posted:

polish-luthuanian commonwealth and preceding duchies were pretty bad w/r/t genocide of indigenous balts

And built on an endless supply of expendable Ukrainians! :toot:

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx
Bill Wi the science Fi is the best

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Berke Negri posted:

i thought the idea was that they were good on India and were getting ready to swing back around and tackle the western Mediterranean and then alexander was murdered

if your empire is such poo poo that it falls apart when the top dog is dead, you ain't got an empire, you got a slavic horde wandering around wearing linen

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

Berke Negri posted:

nah man, he got to like the indus and had to turn around allegedly because his men threatened mutiny. he went back to syria, spent a few years trying to put together a weird greco-persian dynasty thing, and then dropped dead after a bender

and then everything fell apart because he was Bad at Consolidating

Sharkie
Feb 4, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Berke Negri posted:

Apparently, in his will Alexander declared that was what he wanted to do, I have no idea if that's legit or not.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

My Imaginary GF posted:

if your empire is such poo poo that it falls apart when the top dog is dead, you ain't got an empire, you got a slavic horde wandering around wearing linen

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

nah man, he got to like the indus and had to turn around allegedly because his men threatened mutiny. he went back to syria, spent a few years trying to put together a weird greco-persian dynasty thing, and then dropped dead after a bender

and then everything fell apart because he was Bad at Consolidating

stupid pagan should have switched from gavelkind :rolleyes:

Sharkie
Feb 4, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
What's wrong with linen, I ask you

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

V. Illych L. posted:

e. 1093: Magnus "Bare-feet" is crowned king of Norway. He tried to conquer basically every british island that wasn't Great Britain, with some genuine success including dublin

But is conquering Dublin really a success? :grin:

PupsOfWar posted:

that black dude was cool and those mammoth people were cool

whatserface should have stayed with them rather than running off to hang with haughty proto-french eurotrash

I'm sure you're right. Don't remember much details, it has been ages.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Berke Negri posted:

then alexander was murdered

And then Ptolemy stole his body because gently caress you Perdiccas:agesilaus:

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

The Highest Judge of Paradise
Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

We have our first volunteer for the wall.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

baw
Nov 5, 2008

RESIDENT: LAISSEZ FAIR-SNEZHNEVSKY INSTITUTE FOR FORENSIC PSYCHIATRY

god drat it

• Locked thread