Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

TheKingofSprings posted:

So can anyone tell me what sweet card they accidentally spoiled on the mothership for Magic: Origins

Did they finally print Goku?

It might be fake, I can't be totally sure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
You guys should go to the yugioh equivalent of a ptq. It's a real eye opener.

Anyways here's a decent post from a buddy of mine on how to actually get more balance in players of our terrible hobby game for children:

legendstech blog posted:

Five Things Wizards of the Coast could do to get more women into Magic.
1. Change the name.

If you show the title of this article to a woman on the street she’ll think you’re interested in getting her to do magic tricks. This is the year 2015 and women play video games, card games, board games and role playing games in vast numbers. The difference between these games and Magic: The Gathering? These games have catchy names and acronyms that don’t sound pathetic when you say them out loud. D&D, LoL, DoTA, and so forth.

Solution? Take Rob Hunsaker’s advice and rebrand the game as “MTG”.

2. Change the tournament structure.

There’s no reason to attend a large tournament for more than two or three hours unless you’re interested in competing in the main event. I’ll admit I don’t blame people. These events bring out the worst in me. You’re often in a terrible location, without options for healthy or satisfying food and you’re put through incredible stress for days at a time. There’s tournaments where I’m lucky to get water and others where I’m lucky to get four hours of sleep. Tournaments have been held in open barns with dirt floors. I’ve even been to a PTQ that was held in a garage that was open to snow and a freezing Canadian winter.

Tournaments are cutthroat, multiple-day affairs with several thousand people that culminate in a single top 8. They pay out an insignificant amount of what they bring in. This encourages only the most doggedly antisocial players to compete, as it simply isn’t worth the time of normal, everyday people. People who have jobs, hygiene, and regular sleep schedules are at a severe disadvantage when asked to spend their weekends playing out 15+ rounds of magic at a high level.

Women have shown a willingness to attend gaming and anime conventions, comic conventions, pretty much any large gathering of nerds *except* Magic tournaments. Is the magic community really more toxic than the comic or gaming communities? I contend the issue is with how events are structured and the incentives for attending.

Solution? Make larger tournaments more friendly to people with regular and healthy lifestyles. Give us a lunch break. Give us real lunch options, not just a cart selling hot dogs and french fries. Pay out more prizes, have more side events, and have more attractions for people who aren’t playing the main event. Stop wasting space by having single elimination top 8s that take up 8 tables while an entire convention center goes unused. Don’t start the tournament at 9 AM and end it at 10 PM. Give us time to shower and put on deodorant in the morning before we take a taxi from our airport motel. Make it so that i don’t have to be a weird freak to want to attend a magic tournament.

3. Explain the rules to people when you introduce them to the game.

Wizards wants to make the game inviting to new players, and I understand why. Magic is a complicated game and it takes a very long time and much personal dedication to learn the rules. Even when you’re familiar with the rules it isn’t always easy to tell what should happen when difficult interactions come up. Because of this, Wizards has wisely decided to make their introductory products like Duals of the Planeswalkers very simple. They also omit discussions of complex rules issues like the stack or layers unless you’re willing to go looking for them.

Why do new players have a bad experience when they compete at competitive REL for the first time? Is it because serious players are jerks who can’t give them a break? I don’t think so. It’s because no one prepared them for competition amongst players who are familiar with high level game concepts. This leads to negative experiences for both casual and competitive players when competitive players are put in the sensitive position of having to explain the rules for the first time during a competitive tournament. I’ve seen a lot of hurt feelings and a lot of people quitting the game because the competitive experience they had was so different than the casual experience they enjoyed playing kitchen table magic. Invariably, they blame the competitive players for taking the game too seriously.

When players have this kind of experience at competitive REL only the most persistent will return. Most will go back to kitchen table magic where they can continue to play the game the way they feel it ought to be played, that is to say, often they continue to play the game incorrectly.

Solution? Wizards should make more resources available to prepare casual players for their large events. The structure of tournaments is brutal and Wizards has made it clear that at competitive and professional rules enforcement you need to be vigilant if you want to do well. This encourages negative interactions between inexperienced players and people concerned with doing well at the event. More resources need to be made available as to the working of game mechanics and more incentives ought to be put in place encouraging judges and game store owners to introduce new players to what is expected of them at comp REL.

4. Make coverage relatable.

This goes hand-in-hand with the last point. Magic coverage, in particular the Wizards coverage team, does a terrible job at presenting the game to people who don’t already play. I’ve watched magic coverage with many women who do not play magic and they invariably have the same questions; what’s going on? Why is everything so small? Who are these people? Why are there so many commercials?

The problem is that even as a player who knows what is happening I often have the same questions. The screen is cluttered, the presenters are clueless, there’s too much dead air. Most people I know end up muting it.

Even worse, have you ever seen a woman doing magic coverage? I can’t recall a time when that’s happened. It’s always the same men, including one who was an outspoken twitter men’s rights activist until WoTC made him scrub his twitter account.

Solution? If you want to attract people to play your game you have to make it appealing. Stop picking coverage presenters based on nepotism and personal associations and make a concentrated effort to having professional standards for your coverage. This doesn’t mean dressing everyone in poorly-tailed suits but instead making an honest-to-god effort to have people who understand the format and can explain what is going on.

And considering putting even a single woman on camera during coverage of large events.

5. Write a real story.

Magic has made significant strides when it comes to presenting nontraditional characters are role-models. I want to make it clear that I am in full support of their decision to make characters of diverse races, sexes, orientations and so forth prominent in the story. My beef is with the stories themselves; why are they written so poorly? From what I can tell the majority of magic fiction isn’t even being written by professional writers. I’m not certain where the storyline comes from, but as far as I can tell, much of it is dreamed up by marketing and branding professionals or is written by amateurs who hold other positions at wizards. If you’re going to go through the trouble of appealing to females you can’t insult their intelligence with this kind of crap.

Solution? Hire professionals. Don’t half-rear end it. Give people some credit for their intelligence. No more “Nymphs of Theros” for christ’s sake. No long stories about Narset sorting apples. Make the women in these stories interesting and dynamic characters so that women genuinely want to relate to them.

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

Chill la Chill posted:

Our store has a women-only RPG night. I should ask why they don't have a similar women-only magic night.

My local store has the Lady Planeswalker Society on Tuesday nights. I don't think it would be very hard to set up anywhere else.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

Anyways here's a decent post from a buddy of mine on how to actually get more balance in players of our terrible hobby game for children:

I really like points 4 and 5 on that post

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

[url="http://legendstech.tumblr.com/"]

Point 1 doesn't really seem like it could ever work out because all it takes is one look at a card back to see the actual name they're using the acronym to embellish.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

Even worse, have you ever seen a woman doing magic coverage? I can’t recall a time when that’s happened. It’s always the same men, including one who was an outspoken twitter men’s rights activist until WoTC made him scrub his twitter account.

Hold on, who was this? Was this a guy who did coverage for the Magic channel on twitch or for SCG?

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

TheKingofSprings posted:

Point 1 doesn't really seem like it could ever work out because all it takes is one look at a card back to see the actual name they're using the acronym to embellish.

Why does that matter? It's just common parlance that matters with regards to branding.

D&D and LoL still have things they stand for that are seen on the product and DotA can still be traced back to Defense of the Ancients even if that's mostly been phased out.

Although I usually hear people say "League" rather than "LoL" in common parlance so I dunno.

Zoness fucked around with this message at 18:13 on Apr 8, 2015

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Zoness posted:

Why does that matter? It's just common parlance that matters with regards to branding.

D&D and LoL still have things they stand for that are seen on the product and DotA can still be traced back to Defense of the Ancients even if that's mostly been phased out.

Although I usually hear people say "League" rather than "LoL" in common parlance so I dunno.

LoL shorts to something convenient that's already known and D&D flows a lot better than "Em Tee Gee"

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

[url="http://legendstech.tumblr.com/"]

quote:

Who was this?

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

Ramos posted:

It might be fake, I can't be totally sure.

Excellent example of a potentially busted card that they managed to keep in line with careful wording. It'll still be quite good, though.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
This is all we could find now. He's been pretty thorough...

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

TheKingofSprings posted:

LoL shorts to something convenient that's already known and D&D flows a lot better than "Em Tee Gee"

It's been 4 years since I took linguistics but I think phonemically there's not a difference between DnD and MTG aside from repetition.

Like MTG might be phonemically more complex than LoL, DotA, or DnD but I don't think it crosses some kind of magical threshold where it's awkward to express.

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

gently caress no............ really? Man, now I have to stop listening to Limited Resources...........

And LSV is on it too...............please don't tell me he's an MRA as well, that would be just too much.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

TheKingofSprings posted:

Everyone already ignores the word "Deckmaster" and the pen scribble, this would just be another thing to not notice.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Irony Be My Shield posted:

Everyone already ignores the word "Deckmaster" and the pen scribble, this would just be another thing to not notice.

magic cards have backs?

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Zoness posted:

magic cards have backs?

come to think of it I haven't actually seen the back of a card while playing with it for like 8 months

sleeving my poo poo is pretty ingrained into me now

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

mr. mephistopheles posted:

80 new posts I wonder if there's a new Origins spoiler!

Oh... oh god

:negative:

pctD
Aug 25, 2009

Pillbug

Madmarker posted:

gently caress no............ really? Man, now I have to stop listening to Limited Resources...........

And LSV is on it too...............please don't tell me he's an MRA as well, that would be just too much.

They just did a whole segment on LR about ways to get more women into the game. I know the two aren't mutually exclusive but it just seems weird. I've also personally spent a bit of time with LSV when he lived in the bay and never heard him be anything close to an MRA.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Their plan is to make every single card double-faced so they can rebrand.

PhyrexianLibrarian
Feb 21, 2004

Compleat silence, please
I think Marshall was misunderstanding and thinking Greg was an MRA, I remember that discussion and it was really hard to tell who was taking whose side by the end of it.

Starving Autist
Oct 20, 2007

by Ralp

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

Hard to tell without more context, but it's conceivable he was just ignorant then and has learned something since?

Jonked
Feb 15, 2005

Madmarker posted:

Uh, I think you might be reading those backwards. Marshall has been pretty outspoken about making Magic an open and welcoming environment for everyone.

LSV has taken an even stronger stance that individual players have a duty to call out and discourage unwelcoming behavior when they see it happening to someone else.

Edit: unless I'm misunderstandinG that Twitter exchange. But the bit about unwelcome behavior was specifically in regards to the male skew in Magic, which seems pretty at odds with MRAs...

Jonked fucked around with this message at 18:37 on Apr 8, 2015

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

OK, I must have been confused because I don't even recognize the other person at all. It is immensely comforting to know that I haven't been supporting an MRA toolbag.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer
If I had to guess anything about a member of the coverage team being bad about sexism I'd guess Sheldon just because 1. it's easy to pile on sheldon 2. he's 30 other kinds of grognard. I could also see it being BDM.

Least likely - Zac Hill because while he's easy to pile on as well he also spent a fuckton of time in Malaysia wrt social issues or some poo poo.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
Yeah possibly. I personally have played with Marshall pretty frequently and he's a good guy who takes his role as magic ambassador pretty seriously.

CountFosco
Jan 9, 2012

Welcome back to the Liturgigoon thread, friend.
Yeah, Marshall doesn't really strike me as being some sort of hard core MRA-style jerk. I mean, if you can find evidence to prove it, lay it on me, but that twitter exchange alone just isn't enough.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

Yeah possibly. I personally have played with Marshall pretty frequently and he's a good guy who takes his role as magic ambassador pretty seriously.

This. If anything, he's overly nice.

Starving Autist
Oct 20, 2007

by Ralp
The part of that twitter exchange before is greg expressing what seems to be disbelief/ frustration that the MRA subreddit exists, and Marshall's reply is "what's wrong with that?" which could indicate either that he was an MRA or just ignorant. In either case, I doubt he holds those views now, or at the very least he's good at hiding them.

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

Good god, this.

quote:

Give us a lunch break. Give us real lunch options, not just a cart selling hot dogs and french fries.

If I could only change one thing about large tournaments, it'd be the food and how you have to scarf it down between rounds. Oh, you went to time in a round? Hope you weren't hungry when you started, because you're loving starving now.

Wezlar
May 13, 2005

I know they said something like 3% of their listeners to LR were female? its interesting that that number is so consistent with the number of women who responded to the DOTA2 reddit survey (~900/30000)

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Cactrot posted:

Good god, this.

If I could only change one thing about large tournaments, it'd be the food and how you have to scarf it down between rounds. Oh, you went to time in a round? Hope you weren't hungry when you started, because you're loving starving now.

This is one of my favorite things about playing x-wing instead. This and 75-minute rounds.

pctD
Aug 25, 2009

Pillbug

Cactrot posted:

Good god, this.

I honestly wish GP main events started on Friday. Playing 9 rounds in a row without specific break times is loving exhausting. I understand the logistical reasons for why it would be really tough to do but it would make the experience so much better.

remigious
May 13, 2009

Destruction comes inevitably :rip:

Hell Gem
I just wanted to chime in as a lady magic player that used to work in a game store and ran tournaments and stuff. The biggest barrier by far that keeps women out of the game is the attitude many (not all, mind you, but many) guys have towards women in a tournament. I didn't really encounter the leering pervy types as much as one might think, the problem is that men HATE losing to a girl. I ran a fun minotaur deck that kicked rear end a while back and and became known as "queen of the cows" henceforth at out standard tournaments. Real nice. They get so loving salty and disrespectful that myself and a few other ladies I know would rather just not deal with them. Which is bullshit.
I have no idea how to even approach a solution to this problem. I think the Lady Planeswalkers Society is fantastic, I only wish they were bigger or I could make the time commitment to possibly setting a chapter up where I live. I love playing Magic, I hate having to deal with jerks that either hate losing to me or think I am just there to "turn cards sideways, how cute."

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

Wezlar posted:

I know they said something like 3% of their listeners to LR were female? its interesting that that number is so consistent with the number of women who responded to the DOTA2 reddit survey (~900/30000)

This sorta makes sense. It's all a part of the same general subculture, and they both require your gender to be known, as magic requires you to be in person, and dota requires you to use a microphone.

En Fuego
Oct 8, 2004

The Reverend

remigious posted:

I just wanted to chime in as a lady magic player that used to work in a game store and ran tournaments and stuff. The biggest barrier by far that keeps women out of the game is the attitude many (not all, mind you, but many) guys have towards women in a tournament. I didn't really encounter the leering pervy types as much as one might think, the problem is that men HATE losing to a girl. I ran a fun minotaur deck that kicked rear end a while back and and became known as "queen of the cows" henceforth at out standard tournaments. Real nice. They get so loving salty and disrespectful that myself and a few other ladies I know would rather just not deal with them. Which is bullshit.
I have no idea how to even approach a solution to this problem. I think the Lady Planeswalkers Society is fantastic, I only wish they were bigger or I could make the time commitment to possibly setting a chapter up where I live. I love playing Magic, I hate having to deal with jerks that either hate losing to me or think I am just there to "turn cards sideways, how cute."

If you're interested in starting an LPS, or know someone who is, you should check out that FB page. I know you say you don't have enough time to make a commitment to do it yourself, but I am sure Tifa has information on how to make it happen. She's super happy to facilitate a welcome environment.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Dr. Stab posted:

and dota requires you to use a microphone.

This really isn't true at all but that's off topic.

DotA's representation with regards to females in casting/event hosting is pretty bad too (I'm pretty sure it's still just Sheever).

remigious
May 13, 2009

Destruction comes inevitably :rip:

Hell Gem

En Fuego posted:

If you're interested in starting an LPS, or know someone who is, you should check out that FB page. I know you say you don't have enough time to make a commitment to do it yourself, but I am sure Tifa has information on how to make it happen. She's super happy to facilitate a welcome environment.

Hmm. I already follow the FB page, I always get super excited to see that I was invited to an event, but it is in Seattle :( However, my former co-worker now works at a different game store, so perhaps I could work with her to get something going. That would be cool.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

remigious posted:

(Good) Judges are your friends. This topic is part of the reason why I became a Judge, and the policy on sexism/racism/homophobia etc is not tolerant. And if your local Judge doesn't help with the issue, we have feedback forms now, so you can report them.

And speaking of food, at least players can (and often do) concede or ID at the last pre-top-8 round of GPTs and PPTQs, we don't have that option. Food can still be arranged, but in my experience it hasn't been the most relaxed affair. Obviously depends on the store and specific circumstances and all that, last PPTQ I was at for example (Floor Judge), the HJ sent me to get food for him and myself and we just took turns eating it.

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.

Zoness posted:

This really isn't true at all but that's off topic.

DotA's representation with regards to females in casting/event hosting is pretty bad too (I'm pretty sure it's still just Sheever).

Lol isn't much better. 2 hosts (1 for EU, 1 for Korea) and 1 caster for China. Speaking of LoL, and as it turns out also Magic, both games have made a concerted effort for broader artistic representation and I would be really curious if that is bringing in more women for either game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

remigious posted:

They called you that, unironically, to your face? Christ.

• Locked thread