Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
cool tree bro
Jul 27, 2010
What do I do when cops are on both shoulders of a two lane road and there is a law in my state saying you have to pull into a lane 1 over from stopped emergency vehicles? I'm asking because this happened and I just stayed in my lane but they could've given me a ticket if they cared?

Am I supposed to come to a complete stop on a 65mph road?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hezzy
Dec 4, 2004

Pillbug
Surely the fact he was charged means that there's sufficient evidence to prosecute?

Kiryen
Feb 25, 2015

Branis posted:

if you listen closely at the start of the video you can hear what sounds like the taser discharging, so yeah even if the guy had it it would be useless as an incapacitation device

A point of order - it wouldn't be useless; you could still drive-stun with it.

However, even if the guy did grab the TASER and use it against the officer, the officer is most likely utterly hosed unless there's something really serious that we haven't seen yet.

Assuming for the sake of argument that this man did indeed grab the officer's TASER and deploy it against him, that would be a felony. He then attempted to flee.

Under Tennessee v. Garner, an officer may only employ deadly force against a fleeing felon if the felon poses a threat to the safety of others - not the officer; if he's fleeing he's already demonstrating intent not to attack the officer himself. For example, if an armed robber is being chased by an officer and runs, say, towards a school or other source of hostages, the officer could probably justify shooting him from behind.

However, the TASER is A) not a deadly weapon and B) is limited to a single ranged use per cartridge and C) there is no reason to think that he had any intention to attack anyone else or take anyone hostage.

the officer should have known this. Tennessee v. Garner is a very important precedent that is taught very early on in any basic police academy. Based on what the officer himself is describing he has no excuse whatsoever for shooting this guy.

They should change "hands up, don't shoot" to "running away, don't shoot." The first one was hogwash, this one looks like straight-up murder.

Hezzy posted:

Surely the fact he was charged means that there's sufficient evidence to prosecute?

Not in and of itself, but the video and the officer's own description of his reasons are definitely enough to prosecute.

Kiryen fucked around with this message at 16:19 on Apr 8, 2015

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

WOULD YOU ACCOMPANY ME ON A BRISK WALK? I WOULD LIKE TO SPEAK WITH YOU!!

cool tree bro posted:

What do I do when cops are on both shoulders of a two lane road and there is a law in my state saying you have to pull into a lane 1 over from stopped emergency vehicles? I'm asking because this happened and I just stayed in my lane but they could've given me a ticket if they cared?

Am I supposed to come to a complete stop on a 65mph road?

Slow down and don't hit anyone. You only need to stop if they're outright telling you to stop. Disclaimer: not a cop, just dealt with that situation a bunch with winter wrecks around here.

Untagged
Mar 29, 2004

Hey, does your planet have wiper fluid yet or you gonna freak out and start worshiping us?
Most move over laws include a section which says something like "if unable to change lanes drivers must slow down and pass with care". Some states are very specific about the slowing down part. You'll get a ticket and convicted in a lot of places even if you can't merge over because of your speed.

cool tree bro
Jul 27, 2010
Another driving related one, is it illegal to give people the bird? I need to know for a friend.

Branis
Apr 14, 2006
drive stun doesn't incapacitate, only cause pain, and its not even that painful.

Kiryen
Feb 25, 2015

Branis posted:

drive stun doesn't incapacitate, only cause pain, and its not even that painful.

I suppose that's true, although I'd say it's pretty loving painful.

Untagged
Mar 29, 2004

Hey, does your planet have wiper fluid yet or you gonna freak out and start worshiping us?
You guys carry tasers with only one shot? Suckers need to upgrade.

Reign Of Pain
May 1, 2005

Nap Ghost
Bet he gets an all white jury and they let him go.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
Question not related to the shooting or guns at all - Is it common in your departments for police to 'dip into' illicit goods confiscated from criminals? It shows up a lot on TV, and obviously it happens since I've seen articles about officers fired because of it, but I'm wondering if its anywhere near as common (in at least some major jurisdictions) as media tends to imply. Beyond that, is drug use in general common among police officers? It seems like many of the stress factors of the job would make that likely.

Kiryen
Feb 25, 2015

GlyphGryph posted:

Question not related to the shooting or guns at all - Is it common in your departments for police to 'dip into' illicit goods confiscated from criminals? It shows up a lot on TV, and obviously it happens since I've seen articles about officers fired because of it, but I'm wondering if its anywhere near as common (in at least some major jurisdictions) as media tends to imply. Beyond that, is drug use in general common among police officers? It seems like many of the stress factors of the job would make that likely.

Border Patrol is extremely careful with weed. You can pretty much forget about getting into the evidence room and getting any; it's counted at least 3 times a day by different people.

At my old department there is at least one guy I'm confident would have failed a piss test, but I doubt he'd take it from evidence. Weed is just too easy to get other ways without risking getting caught stealing it from evidence.

Poppyseed Poundcake
Feb 23, 2007

GlyphGryph posted:

As long as you take it before it gets logged and entered into evidence it shouldn't be a problem. I easily clear a few extra grand a month this way.

Grem
Mar 29, 2004

It's how her species communicates

Wow that guy sure murdered the gently caress outa that kid. I wonder if he really did have the cops taser and was fleeing with it. Probably get in to big trouble for losing that, do gently caress it, kill the dude so you at least get a lawyer.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013

AirCav58 posted:

As long as you take it before it gets logged and entered into evidence it shouldn't be a problem. I easily clear a few extra grand a month this way.

Same.

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009

Grem posted:

Wow that guy sure murdered the gently caress outa that kid. I wonder if he really did have the cops taser and was fleeing with it. Probably get in to big trouble for losing that, do gently caress it, kill the dude so you at least get a lawyer.

50 year old man described as "kid" by noted former cop goon professor gremlin

Grem
Mar 29, 2004

AirCav58 posted:

That's simply bush league compared to LeoMarr's side job.

Kiryen
Feb 25, 2015

Grem posted:

Pretty sure he didn't. The article describes that the officer went bag and got something and then tossed it by the body. Pretty likely it was the TASER and that fact will be conclusive that he knew he did wrong by shooting the guy. Maybe the guy had the TASER and dropped it after firing it, but moving it that way makes him look even guiltier than he already looks from the shooting alone.

Grem
Mar 29, 2004

Kung Fu Fist gently caress posted:

50 year old man described as "kid" by noted former cop goon professor gremlin

Oh I just assumed cops killed another kid, not my fault the MO changed.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Now the dude they shot wasn't a kid by any means, but he straight up iced a motherfucker. The cell video I saw was a bit late to the start of the action, but it looks like something drops behind the officer as the guy starts running away.

I'm just grateful the cameraman had the god damned decency to rotate is phone to landscape so the video looks worth a gently caress.

Bernard McFacknutah
Nov 13, 2009

GlyphGryph posted:

The only time I hear about it is when someone gets caught, which is occasionally. My Father finished his career working in anti- corruption and he said they used to run honeypot traps all the time using smartwatered goods and money that officers would fail.

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!
Will Slager even be able to regain his job or get a new LEO job even if not convicted? I'd assume not, but I don't really know.

Branis posted:

Nobody has to subtitle a south dakotan when they are on tv though :smug:

:hfive:

Deki fucked around with this message at 21:25 on Apr 8, 2015

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
He is already fired from NCPD, but nothing prevents a podunk small town from hiring him. No big department would, though.

Kiryen
Feb 25, 2015

Vahakyla posted:

He is already fired from NCPD, but nothing prevents a podunk small town from hiring him. No big department would, though.

Not after he's been on the national news like that. The only way he'll ever get hired again is if we have another Ferguson-like discovery of totally different circumstances and I don't predict that since we have a video, and for once the video is actually pretty good.

quote:

I'm just grateful the cameraman had the god damned decency to rotate is phone to landscape so the video looks worth a gently caress.

Yeah, it's good that he had that presence of mind so that we can actually see everything, or close to it. One thing that drives me crazy with police videos is people assuming poo poo they don't actually shoot and for once we aren't faced with that problem.

DrakeriderCa
Feb 3, 2005

But I'm a real cowboy!

GlyphGryph posted:

Yeah we're allowed up to a pound of weed per month but you have to sign the "Stolen Weed From Evidence Room Log". Coke is for personal use only. It's encouraged as long as the Sgt can't see your hands shaking.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
My mom dated this narcotics detective in Finland who used to say that "frankly there are many beats where it's just not fair to expect a cop to patrol it sober".

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

I had the opportunity to change literally anything about the world and I used it to get a new av
Honestly, I do steal ink pens from the evidence room on like a weekly basis.

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

I sucked a dick for bus fare and then I walked home.

Random drug testing, pop hit you get fired. If you're caught drinking / drunk on the job you take a 30 day unpaid suspension and are then subject to snap breathalyzer tests on and off duty at random times, subject to firing if you blow a BAC over 0.

Davethulhu
Aug 12, 2003

Morbid Hound

Rad Lieutenant posted:

Honestly, I do steal ink pens from the evidence room on like a weekly basis.

"The Sharpie Stabber used this one to kill his 3rd victim."

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

I sucked a dick for bus fare and then I walked home.

Davethulhu posted:

"The Sharpie Stabber used this one to kill his 3rd victim."

I guess you can say he's been... Permanently marked.

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro
For the last time, the sharpie stabber isn't real, it's just an excuse made up by homicide detectives to huff markers all day

krispykremessuck
Jul 22, 2005

unlike most veterans and SA members $10 is not a meaningful expenditure for me

I'm gonna have me a swag Bar-B-Q

cool tree bro posted:

Another driving related one, is it illegal to give people the bird? I need to know for a friend.

use it as a general greeting, also instead of passing carefully rear end a cop car and then claim you were exercising your right to free movement on the land

e: and threaten to sue them for violating your right to as much

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

WOULD YOU ACCOMPANY ME ON A BRISK WALK? I WOULD LIKE TO SPEAK WITH YOU!!

Australian crime is the best crime

http://www.goldcoastbulletin.com.au...v-1226951392106

To make this have a question, how many bullets would he have received in the US? All of them?

Branis
Apr 14, 2006
depends. Fleeing usually only earns you some stick time. Race obviously is a factor in determining length of sticking or if bullets are necessary.

Nurge
Feb 4, 2009

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Branis posted:

Race obviously is a factor in determining length of sticking

Isn't it always, though. :biotruths:

Nurge fucked around with this message at 12:07 on Apr 9, 2015

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)

shortspecialbus posted:

Australian crime is the best crime

http://www.goldcoastbulletin.com.au...v-1226951392106

To make this have a question, how many bullets would he have received in the US? All of them?

Lets not get too cocky. We all know he'd have been shot in the Australian state of Victoria.
It's only the other states where cops don't really shoot people that much.

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

...but experts warn it is
just a drop in the ocean.
So what are ya'lls opinion of reporters? Do you encounter many on the job?

Branis
Apr 14, 2006
sometimes i wish a reporter would come to work with me just so i'd have someone to talk to at night.

Untagged
Mar 29, 2004

No real opinion. We're not allowed to speak with them. Forward to a supervisor or the PO. Although the reporters around here are always getting poo poo wrong, especially when it comes to police and public safety stories. So I can see where some of the discontent comes from. Although I did work for a newspaper for a while, so that might be one of the reasons I don't seem to openly hate them like some of my colleagues do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

I had the opportunity to change literally anything about the world and I used it to get a new av
They get stuff wrong so frequently that I'm convinced it's our public information officer screwing up.

• Locked thread