Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

My Imaginary GF posted:

Let's be honest, Hillary is seeing if he'd settle for something less thsn Veep, which he really really wants so he can run after she's over with.

I realize that you are the gimmickiest of gimmick accounts, but for the sake of argument I'll humor you.

Rahm brings no positive attributes to a Presidential ticket, only baggage. He's volatile, verbally abusive to those he considers enemies, corrupt, and he has, if possible, even a bigger target on his back than Hillary does. An alarming number of Democrats hate him, either because they don't trust him, or because he has personally wronged them in some way, and the base actively despises him. Hillary already has to shed corruption allegations AND prove to the left that she's not a tool for corporate America (good luck with that). Rahm does nothing for that--in fact, he exacerbates the problem.

The only way Rahm Emanuel ever sees the inside of the Oval Office again is with a visitor's badge.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

Evil Fluffy posted:

And since he used a gun all those fancy Tazer bodycams would've been completely worthless since they only record when the tazer's used. No tazer means no video evidence of you murdering someone. Body cams on at all times? Not on my watch, buddy. :cop:

That's not how Tazer's bodycams work - they aren't linked to tazers, they're just an additional product from the Tazer company.

(Tazer also makes a tazercam that is mounted with the tazer, but their bodycam line is a straightforward body cam.)

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!

Shageletic posted:

By your avoidance of actually explaining what you mean by what you write, I take it then you are not interested in an actual dialogue, instead of randomly re-iterating inflammatory facebook comments. I'll disregard any future comments by you as noise, then.

He more just assumes people are following the minutia of the thread as much as he does.

Tsarnev is aiming for life rather than the death penalty, guilty is already a foregone conclusion and it would take an act of God to get life. He may get that though because the prosecutor has been absurd in the way they have handled the trial (eg trying to pass off tweets of quotes as tweets of planning and getting their rear end kicked by the defense lawyer as a result) instead of sticking with "he did it, he confessed, tender your verdict". If the jury buys the defense's argument of "oh he was coerced by his brother, this wasn't premeditated and planned to repeat multiple times" it will absolutely be evidence of unacceptable mismanagement by the prosecution

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Kalman posted:

That's not how Tazer's bodycams work - they aren't linked to tazers, they're just an additional product from the Tazer company.

(Tazer also makes a tazercam that is mounted with the tazer, but their bodycam line is a straightforward body cam.)

I think they are confusing the rumor that tasers have an onboard recording device that records when and for how long a taser is used (that it has one has popped up in TV and movies to justify doing something worse for plot, no idea if it is true) with the cameras you mentioned

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Kalman posted:

The ones going out right now, including the several thousand orderd by the LAPD, activate when the taser is used.
http://www.reuters.com/article/2015/01/06/us-usa-california-tasers-idUSKBN0KF26B20150106

Now sure, maybe they could turn them on ahead of time, but then we'd just have more incidents of video being damaged/missing than if they only activate after the taser fires and does the job of cutting out pre-tasing dialogue that could cast the situation in an entirely different light.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Tsarnev verdict coming out now, so far guilty on 10 of the 30 counts, readings ongoing

I have to go to a meeting now, so no more live updates from me

FourLeaf
Dec 2, 2011

Fried Chicken posted:

Tsarnev is aiming for life rather than the death penalty, guilty is already a foregone conclusion and it would take an act of God to get life. He may get that though because the prosecutor has been absurd in the way they have handled the trial (eg trying to pass off tweets of quotes as tweets of planning and getting their rear end kicked by the defense lawyer as a result) instead of sticking with "he did it, he confessed, tender your verdict". If the jury buys the defense's argument of "oh he was coerced by his brother, this wasn't premeditated and planned to repeat multiple times" it will absolutely be evidence of unacceptable mismanagement by the prosecution

If he get the death penalty, would that actually result in an execution? Basically, is Massachusetts like California or like Texas?

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

FourLeaf posted:

If he get the death penalty, would that actually result in an execution? Basically, is Massachusetts like California or like Texas?

I don't think he'd be getting the death penalty under Mass. law, but rather federal law. I don't think Mass. has the ability to conduct executions.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

FourLeaf posted:

It's a federal case, not state, and he is looking at execution

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

FourLeaf posted:

I believe these are Federal charges, so In this case, yes.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Shageletic posted:

By your avoidance of actually explaining what you mean by what you write, I take it then you are not interested in an actual dialogue, instead of randomly re-iterating inflammatory facebook comments. I'll disregard any future comments by you as noise, then.

I mean what I say. The only acceptable verdict for Dzhokar is to find him guilty, and for the punishment to be dead. You see, guilty means you did the crime so you do the time, and dead means dead.

Alter Ego posted:

Rahm brings no positive attributes to a Presidential ticket, only baggage. He's volatile, verbally abusive to those he considers enemies, corrupt, and he has, if possible, even a bigger target on his back than Hillary does.

How are all of these not a benefit to the Clinton ticket?

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

Down where, to a game ranch in texas or something?

sexy fucking muskrat
Aug 22, 2010

by exmarx

Can Cheney ever not look like a comic book villain? That hat really isn't doing him any favors.

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

The Highest Judge of Paradise
Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

ComradeCosmobot posted:

I believe these are Federal charges, so In this case, yes.

McVeigh was executed under federal law too I believe.

A Winner is Jew posted:

Down where, to a game ranch in texas or something?

Is it partridge season already?

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Tsarnaev guilty on all 30 counts

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

Man i should really start watching The Blacklist

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

Scrub-Niggurath posted:

Man i should really start watching The Blacklist

Cheney isn't charming enough to be Raymond Reddington.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc
Maybe Obama just wants to take us all down to Paradise City? I hear that the grass is green and that the girls are pretty.

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

Alter Ego posted:

Cheney isn't charming enough to be Raymond Reddington.

Reddington is literally the only reason to watch that show.

Gravel Gravy posted:

Is it partridge season already?

Fun fact, my wife was at the taping for TDS that day and has a script signed by the cast.

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

A Winner is Jew posted:

Fun fact, my wife was at the taping for TDS that day and has a script signed by the cast.

Lucky. I'll be in NYC in the middle of May and trying to score tickets though it seems that it won't be taping those days.

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

A Winner is Jew posted:

Well, it sure as hell isn't "Rookie Lady FBI Agent #14242156".

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

Alter Ego posted:

Well, it sure as hell isn't "Rookie Lady FBI Agent #14242156".

I believe you mean incompetent FBI agent #1-14242156.

alpha_destroy
Mar 23, 2010

Billy Butler: Fat Guy by Day, Doubles Machine by Night
So like, I've never figured out if I'm supposed to laugh at the Drudge Report or be scared of it. I mean, how much influence does the Drudge Report have? It just always looked so lovely. Like, it looks more like a website run Anthony Crispino than actual an actual news site.

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.

alpha_destroy posted:

So like, I've never figured out if I'm supposed to laugh at the Drudge Report or be scared of it. I mean, how much influence does the Drudge Report have? It just always looked so lovely. Like, it looks more like a website run Anthony Crispino than actual an actual news site.

From what I heard it was much more mainstream in the late 90s/2000s, when posting SCARY CAPITALIZED TITLES on a webpage was considered cutting edge.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Drudge was one of the first popular right wing news sites. Now there are a billion alternatives.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

It broke the Lewinsky stuff and it's been coasting on that cachet since.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
He made his name by breaking the Monica Lewinsky story, and has gone downhill ever since.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
The left needs to just loving drop gun control. In addition to polarizing centrists who like guns, it's actively counterproductive, because we need to be arming and training the poor (especially poor minorities). Anyone who wants guns to be banned is forgetting that laws don't apply to our real enemies; it'll just widen the force gap between them and us.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

haveblue posted:

He made his name by breaking the Monica Lewinsky story, and has gone downhill ever since.

There are worse places to go down from than Monica Lewinski. Just ask Bill

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

LORD OF BUTT posted:

The left needs to just loving drop gun control. In addition to polarizing centrists who like guns, it's actively counterproductive, because we need to be arming and training the poor (especially poor minorities). Anyone who wants guns to be banned is forgetting that laws don't apply to our real enemies; it'll just widen the force gap between them and us.

No one is arguing for banning guns, stop reading Drudge.

Also, you'll never unseat Amergin don't even try.

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009

My Imaginary GF posted:

If you had to pick the best position within a Hillary whitehouse for Rahm, what would you pick?

Under Vince Foster.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I always thought the deal with Drudge is that back in the 90s the mainstream media had SOME standards so wouldn't run with the Clinton affair rumors but Drudge was running a tabloid on the internet (before that was cool) so he just went with it. So when it turned out to be true and turned into a giant mess it legitimized Drudge and cursed us all to the tabloids forever being the news.

Is that just totally wrong? Its not like I've studied it or anything. I just knew back during my journalism days in and just after school a lot of old, grizzled news people would curse Drudge's name and insist that he was a hack who got it right once just because he was willing to report unsubstantiated trash that turned out to be true.

But they might have just been angry because their livelihood was dying.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

LORD OF BUTT posted:

They largely have.

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!

Trabisnikof posted:

No one is arguing for banning guns, stop reading Drudge.

Also, you'll never unseat Amergin don't even try.

The last federal AWB that was proposed would have banned many common models of semi-automatic guns, and plenty of gun control proponents such as Cuomo and Bloomberg have advocated banning semi-automatic weapons or limiting them to like 3 rounds. That's not "banning guns" but from the perspective of your average gun owner or collector it basically is.

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

LORD OF BUTT posted:

Why stop there? I am all for the AGA, Affordable Gun Act aka Obamagun. Mandatory guns for everyone or pay a fine. Alternatively if you like your gun you can keep it.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

Gravel Gravy posted:

Why stop there? I am all for the AGA, Affordable Gun Act aka Obamagun. Mandatory guns for everyone or pay a fine. Alternatively if you like your gun you can keep it.
Subsidized weapon purchases for every adult American (you can get away with not owning your own gun until 26 under your parents' coverage)

The NRA would hate it

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

Gravel Gravy posted:

I love asking the NRA types why they're not trying to arm the homeless since gun ownership should be for everyone.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

MaxxBot posted:

The last federal AWB that was proposed would have banned many common models of semi-automatic guns, and plenty of gun control proponents such as Cuomo and Bloomberg have advocated banning semi-automatic weapons or limiting them to like 3 rounds. That's not "banning guns" but from the perspective of your average gun owner or collector it basically is.

I was under the impression neither Cuomo or Bloomberg were leftists?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

JT Jag posted:

Subsidized weapon purchases for every adult American (you can get away with not owning your own gun until 26 under your parents' coverage)

The NRA would hate it

The NRA is run more by the gun lobby than by racists, so they'd love it.

• Locked thread