Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

PerpetualSelf posted:

Context. Historical and archeological analysis.

There is absolutely no historical or archeological evidence that supports there being a man who literally rose a zombie army after he returned from the dead. The only archeological "analysis" you can do is get an idea of if the places mentioned in the bible were real, but that no more proves there was a divine Christ than the existence of New York proves there is a Spider-Man.

PerpetualSelf posted:

Naw but he was right about dem kikes tho.

Whelp, nevermind then.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Who What Now posted:

There is absolutely no historical or archeological evidence that supports there being a man who literally rose a zombie army after he returned from the dead. The only archeological "analysis" you can do is get an idea of if the places mentioned in the bible were real, but that no more proves there was a divine Christ than the existence of New York proves there is a Spider-Man.

That's the fun part! They argue its a matter of faith, and then appeal to physical evidence to try to support their reasoning for having faith. :allears:

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
It's kind of funny how Christians admit that Satan has power over the earth, but insist it's only because God allows him to have that power. How exactly would we know that? Where is the evidence of God having any power? Maybe Satan has all the power and just lets God lie and say he has any power at all.

PerpetualSelf posted:

Naw but he was right about dem kikes tho.

:stare:

Mr. Sunshine
May 15, 2008

This is a scrunt that has been in space too long and become a Lunt (Long Scrunt)

Fun Shoe
Are all self-professed christians ITT unsubtle trolls, or are these people serious?

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

You look like you're still raking it in. Still killing 'em?

Mr. Sunshine posted:

Are all self-professed christians ITT unsubtle trolls, or are these people serious?

Most of the regularly posting atheists and the sole regularly posting Christians are morons and a troll, respectively. It's just that they're the only people who generate any heat - when the more reasonable atheists and god-botherers post it's just a bunch of reasonable people splitting their differences and largely agreeing. Which if you wanted, you'd just go to maybe the A/T Liturgical Christianity thread or something.

There are high quality Christian posters in DnD like Sinnlos though.

Sinnlos
Sep 5, 2011

Ask me about believing in magical rainbow gold

Disinterested posted:

Most of the regularly posting atheists and the sole regularly posting Christians are morons and a troll, respectively. It's just that they're the only people who generate any heat - when the more reasonable atheists and god-botherers post it's just a bunch of reasonable people splitting their differences and largely agreeing. Which if you wanted, you'd just go to maybe the A/T Liturgical Christianity thread or something.

There are high quality Christian posters in DnD like Sinnlos though.

Thank you. The Liturgical Christianity thread is indeed a good place to get good answers regarding theology, doctrine and apologetics.

I would also be happy to answer questions directed at me itt, though my responses may be delayed until I get home.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

Sinnlos posted:

Thank you. The Liturgical Christianity thread is indeed a good place to get good answers regarding theology, doctrine and apologetics.

I would also be happy to answer questions directed at me itt, though my responses may be delayed until I get home.

I asked Kyrie this but I'm curious about an answer that doesn't come from pomposity- does Catholic doctrine about damnation consider anything other than the specific desire and decision to reject salvation as sufficient to ensure damnation?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Mr. Sunshine posted:

Yes?

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Disinterested posted:

Most of the regularly posting atheists and the sole regularly posting Christians are morons and a troll, respectively.

Sooooo... What does that make you?

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

Who What Now posted:

I feel as if you already have an opinion. :allears:

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Who What Now posted:

The troll goes deep.

Kyrie eleison
Jan 26, 2013

by Ralp
Evidence is for suckers

Sinnlos
Sep 5, 2011

Effectronica posted:

I asked Kyrie this but I'm curious about an answer that doesn't come from pomposity- does Catholic doctrine about damnation consider anything other than the specific desire and decision to reject salvation as sufficient to ensure damnation?

I promise to have a more in-depth response later, but current Catholic doctrine is predicated on a piece of Vatican II legislation that leaves some ambiguity based upon the wording. Essentially, it says that if someone a. seeks God/Jesus and b. behaves in a Christ-like manner, they are good. Keep in mind that this is a lot of paraphrasing. I will dig up the relevant text when I get home, and will try and give an overview of the current dominant interpretations.

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

Good pre-amble to the Sinnlos post would be: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anonymous_Christian

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Sinnlos posted:

Since it's Passover season I'll ask a question relevant to our Jewish brothers: Is Kyrie's rap about how Jews are all following an obstinate fake religion based on any actual teaching or theology, or is that just rank anti-Semitism? (Naturally, I would expect Christians to feel Jews are "getting it wrong" - but there's a difference between "following the old, outdated but at-one-time best system" and "perfidious Christ-killers")

Also, are you speaking primarily from a Catholic, Orthodox or other perspective?

(do the Anglicans count as the English Orthodox Church)

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Disinterested posted:

I feel as if you already have an opinion. :allears:

Should I? Am I... supposed to know who you are?

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Kyrie eleison posted:

Evidence is for suckers

Best stop using the internet then, considering the depth to which evidence was used to create the scientific theories exploited by it and computing in general.

Sinnlos
Sep 5, 2011

Disinterested posted:

Good pre-amble to the Sinnlos post would be: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anonymous_Christian

Thank you. Anonymous Christianity, in a modified form, it currently the doctrine of the Roman Catholic Church, though Lumen gentium possibly overrides some of it.

Nessus posted:

Since it's Passover season I'll ask a question relevant to our Jewish brothers: Is Kyrie's rap about how Jews are all following an obstinate fake religion based on any actual teaching or theology, or is that just rank anti-Semitism? (Naturally, I would expect Christians to feel Jews are "getting it wrong" - but there's a difference between "following the old, outdated but at-one-time best system" and "perfidious Christ-killers")

Also, are you speaking primarily from a Catholic, Orthodox or other perspective?

(do the Anglicans count as the English Orthodox Church)

Currently the Catholic Church pursues an ecumenical stance towards Judaism. Currently they are considered "the first to hear the word of God" though they reject the coming of the Messiah. There are still ongoing issues involving Church involvement in WWII, as well as Israeli treatment of Arab christians in communication with Rome. Prior to 1969 though, the Good Friday liturgy, probably the most important liturgy of the faith, made sure to mention the perfidious Jews. The language has since been changed, absolving the Jews of guilt, many traditionalists still harbor some rather troubling opinions.

I am a Novus Ordo, liberation theology Roman Catholic. I have far too much experience with Traditionalist Catholics though. Anglicans/Episcopalians are pretty much Catholic with regard to doctrine and theology. Close enough at least that Catholics are allowed to receive communion in Episcopalian churches.

Robotnik Nudes
Jul 8, 2013

Traditional Catholics are loving awful and I feel confident saying that because I grew up in that movement. I'm currently some hosed up Atheist Catholic with a bunch of other poo poo I've stolen from other spiritual practices and have cobbled together with intellectual duct tape. It's fun.

And yeah the current church view on the Jews, in need terms, is that the Church is OSX and Judaism is NeXT OS

Robotnik Nudes
Jul 8, 2013

Steve Jobs is Jesus, Tim Cook is Peter etc

Kyrie eleison
Jan 26, 2013

by Ralp
If you're all ecumenical and liberal and just want to get along with everybody and find "the common religious experience" and how "we all connect to the great divine mystery" or whatever then obviously you're going to look at Satanists and say "they are just doing what they believe, maybe I can learn from them" and maybe take part in a Black Mass or two just to expand your horizons and learn about the full breadth of human experience, but if you prefer to stick with one particular religious tradition for whatever reason then you are going to have to realize it is at odds with all other belief systems and you might as well embrace it and poke fun at them the way one does a respected rival. Or you can get your fee-fees hurt whenever anyone mentions Hell or something, that works too

Robotnik Nudes
Jul 8, 2013

That's not a bad idea in theory. It would cool if religions could have amicable rivalries but it's a VERY SERIOUS ISSUE so instead it's all about "Oooh respect and revere respect and revere"

On the other hand LaVeyan Satanism is even stupider as a religion than Scientology. I do think it's funny how Xians get all uptight about them instead of realizing it's the literal gently caress You Dad religion

Robotnik Nudes
Jul 8, 2013

Also there is only one thing that matters and it is J.R. "Bob" Dobbs send $35

With religion, like with most things, you get what you pay for.

Series DD Funding
Nov 25, 2014

by exmarx
Counterpoint: Scientology.

Kyrie eleison
Jan 26, 2013

by Ralp

Robotnik Nudes posted:

That's not a bad idea in theory. It would cool if religions could have amicable rivalries but it's a VERY SERIOUS ISSUE so instead it's all about "Oooh respect and revere respect and revere"

On the other hand LaVeyan Satanism is even stupider as a religion than Scientology. I do think it's funny how Xians get all uptight about them instead of realizing it's the literal gently caress You Dad religion

Yeah I can tell just how much everyone treats Christianity with constant respect and admiration and doesn't want to offend anyone especially on these Something Awful forums or on reddit or in all of popular culture. Gimme a loving break.

Christianity is right and all other religions are wrong, the Jews and Muslims are wrong and the Hindus and Buddhists and atheists are wrong, also non-Catholic denominations are wrong and also anyone who claims to be a Catholic but actually believes bogus nonsense like liberation theology is wrong. Cheers m8s

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Series DD Funding posted:

You get what you pay for but just because you paid for it, doesn't mean you get it.

Kyrie eleison posted:

Yeah I can tell just how much everyone treats Christianity with constant respect and admiration and doesn't want to offend anyone especially on these Something Awful forums or on reddit or in all of popular culture. Gimme a loving break.

Christianity is right and all other religions are wrong, the Jews and Muslims are wrong and the Hindus and Buddhists and atheists are wrong, also non-Catholic denominations are wrong and also anyone who claims to be a Catholic but actually believes bogus nonsense like liberation theology is wrong. Cheers m8s

I'm not sure I've heard "I'm right and everyone else is wrong" argued so sincerely before.

Robotnik Nudes
Jul 8, 2013

Series DD Funding posted:

Scientology is a pure and beautiful expression of American Spirituality. A corporate religion with offices instead of temples and suits instead of robes. It's a capitalist religion for capitalists, and they even have their own Guantanamo.

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

Kyrie eleison posted:

If Kyrie weren't an obvious troll I would point out that one of the main requirements of his faith is that he doesn't get to decide any of these things and that the present pope is actually a big fan of liberation theology.

OwlFancier posted:

I'm not sure I've heard "I'm right and everyone else is wrong" argued so sincerely before.

That papal infallibility thing is pretty OP.

Sinnlos
Sep 5, 2011

Kyrie eleison posted:

W/r/t liberation theology you can make an argument about orthopraxis vs. orthodoxy but lol if you don't think Christ's word compels us to oppose systemic injustice.

Sinnlos
Sep 5, 2011

Disinterested posted:

If Kyrie weren't an obvious troll I would point out that one of the main requirements of his faith is that he doesn't get to decide any of these things and that the present pope is actually a big fan of liberation theology.

That papal infallibility thing is pretty OP.

Papal Infallibility only works when speaking ex cathedra, which has a huge casting cost and applies an unrest malus unless you get the timing right.

Robotnik Nudes
Jul 8, 2013

Sinnlos posted:

Papal Infallibility only works when speaking ex cathedra, which has a huge casting cost and applies an unrest malus unless you get the timing right.

This. It's amazing how many people don't realize how rarely papal infallibility is exercises. It's largely a bully pulpit (literally pulpit) position, though it's generally accepted that when the pope says stuff even without infallibility in effect it's worth a listen because he's still basically Christ's press secretary.

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

Sinnlos posted:

But if you do...

Robotnik Nudes posted:

This. It's amazing how many people don't realize how rarely papal infallibility is exercises. It's largely a bully pulpit (literally pulpit) position, though it's generally accepted that when the pope says stuff even without infallibility in effect it's worth a listen because he's still basically Christ's press secretary.

More like 'acting vice president'.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Kyrie eleison posted:

:laffo: Whatever you are smoking, it must be damned good.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Kyrie eleison posted:

Yeah I can tell just how much everyone treats Christianity with constant respect and admiration and doesn't want to offend anyone especially on these Something Awful forums or on reddit or in all of popular culture. Gimme a loving break
It must be hard for you, being the dominant majority in your country. It must be especially hard when the minority manages to pull things off lately.

quote:

Nah it's Crowley actually but he was pretty open minded

Robotnik Nudes
Jul 8, 2013

There is only one thin that matters and it is Do What Thou Wilt Shall Be the Whole of the Law

Kyrie eleison
Jan 26, 2013

by Ralp

Nessus posted:

It must be hard for you, being the dominant majority in your country. It must be especially hard when the minority manages to pull things off lately.

Any advances by the devil will be rolled back in due course, so enjoy it while it lasts. The swinging pendulum is going to be a bitch.

Robotnik Nudes
Jul 8, 2013

Kyrie eleison posted:

Any advances by the devil will be rolled back in due course, so enjoy it while it lasts. The swinging pendulum is going to be a bitch.

Laffo Laffo Laffo

Series DD Funding
Nov 25, 2014

by exmarx
St. Eleison's Epistle to the Goons is the best part of the Apocrypha imo.

Mr. Sunshine
May 15, 2008

This is a scrunt that has been in space too long and become a Lunt (Long Scrunt)

Fun Shoe

Kyrie eleison posted:

Christianity is right and all other religions are wrong...

Can you prove this in a way that would convince anyone who doesn't already agree with you? Because "I'm right because I say I'm right!" is a claim that can be made by anyone, about anything, and it proves nothing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
There is one thing that matters and it is sucking mad dick

• Locked thread