Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Adam Bowen
Jan 6, 2003

This post probably contains a Rickroll link!
I finished that Arc the Lad game on PS2 (Twilight of the Spirits, apparently) and I remember it having the dumbest and most frustrating boss fight ever that required repeatedly playing over and over again until RNG let me win.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Bicyclops posted:

I let my brother keep our PS2, so the only way I can really play the post SNES ones are when I visit him (and we're playing Skryim instead) or if I buy them for PC, when available. I'd like to give Chrono Cross another try at some point and see if I can get through it without getting too infuriated.
You're going to do the idiot lizard-chasing minigame and quit immediately.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Also my wife really wants me to play Kingdom Hearts. I think the first one.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Adam Bowen posted:

I finished that Arc the Lad game on PS2 (Twilight of the Spirits, apparently) and I remember it having the dumbest and most frustrating boss fight ever that required repeatedly playing over and over again until RNG let me win.
Yeah, but you just described the entirety of Twilight of the Spirits.

Adam Bowen
Jan 6, 2003

Bicyclops posted:

I let my brother keep our PS2, so the only way I can really play the post SNES ones are when I visit him (and we're playing Skryim instead) or if I buy them for PC, when available. I'd like to give Chrono Cross another try at some point and see if I can get through it without getting too infuriated.

there's this thing called emulation

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Bicyclops posted:

chrono cross is very bad, so probably not

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
I stopped playing Thousand Arms when it suddenly went from making fun of dumb fantasy JRPG adventures to being a dumb fantasy JRPG adventure, and it gave me a magical super summon followed by a fight where the magical super summon was literally completely loving useless and did as much damage as my normal attack.

It didn't help that the combat sprite work looked kind of weird and the cutscene art and animation was absolutely loving atrocious.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

FactsAreUseless posted:

You're going to do the idiot lizard-chasing minigame and quit immediately.

I usually make it to the mansion where you feed the idiot lizards and quit. it was a really interesting game, but jesus christ, the set up for combat is so tedious

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

The Colonel posted:

I stopped playing Thousand Arms when it suddenly went from making fun of dumb fantasy JRPG adventures to being a dumb fantasy JRPG adventure, and it gave me a magical super summon followed by a fight where the magical super summon was literally completely loving useless and did as much damage as my normal attack.

It didn't help that the combat sprite work looked kind of weird and the cutscene art and animation was absolutely loving atrocious.
That's your problem with Thousand Arms?

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

Your plastic pal who's fun to be with!

Adam Bowen posted:

It's because deep down you know FFIX is actually bad and you only like it because of circumstances that existed around when you first played it

i bet you never even beat the game with Cinna's Hammer and all Hawaiian Gear equipped, you loving pleb

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
I really want to do FF8 at some point because it seems like the weirdest one.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

i suppose just putting the Chrono Cross soundtrack on and doing something else is better than actually playing it.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Bicyclops posted:

i suppose just putting the Chrono Cross soundtrack on and doing something else is better than actually playing it.
Correct.

A Spider Covets
May 4, 2009

Alain Post posted:

tbh i dont remember much about it other than you go into space at some point and you were from an orphanage maybe. also there is a witch and she is cool.

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

Alain Post posted:

it was the first time square had a full team doing the localization, so of course they decided to write the most confusing poo poo loving possible.

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

people still argue on forums to this loving day that rinoa is ultimecia

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Excels posted:

people still argue on forums to this loving day that rinoa is ultimecia
Weirdly enough, it's Selphie.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Alain Post posted:

behind 5, 8 is the second best at "slowly earning points in things and customizing people" itch-scratching. triple triad is fun, except for the Card Queen and trying to position her in the right place, but a lot of the other mini-games are ugh.

Adam Bowen
Jan 6, 2003

There's going to be a new Deus Ex game and I'm afraid it's going to end up sucking. I suspect they decided to "streamline" even more than they already did with HR but hopefully they manage not to gently caress up the process too much

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

I WILL COMPRESS ALL OF TIME. I LIKE TRAINS. BOOYAKA.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Bicyclops posted:

when and if you get to 5, if you are a completionist, play it with a guide. It's a great game for scratching that itch for continuously leveling up in weird ways if you have it, but it's extremely easy to miss things, particularly blue magic.

I feel like the whole implementation of blue magic is Square's way of telling nerds to stop being completionists

I did not ever use blue magic in any Final Fantasy game. It's 100% optional. This is a good thing to know

Adam Bowen
Jan 6, 2003

Bicyclops posted:

I loved Chrono Cross but I can't really replay it anymore just like every other RPG of that era. It's too ugly and combat is horribly slow, I actually think it would have been better if they'd just fleshed out the Radical Dreamers adventure game instead of turning it into an RPG.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

The Colonel posted:

uh isn't Thousand Arms the "JRPG" that's actually a dating sim

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

precision posted:

It's a JRPG with a dating sim minigame. It's really really dumb but the voice acting and terrible everything combine to make it kind of charming.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
The point where I stopped playing was, I'm pretty sure, right before that stuff started to be necessary for leveling up your weapons.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Excels posted:

it was the first time square had a full team doing the localization, so of course they decided to write the most confusing poo poo loving possible.

Mainly I liked what I heard that the game doesn't really have a conventional JRPG narrative or plot structure. Not in some "haha we're subverting your expectations" thing, just that it's really unusual.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

precision posted:

I feel like the whole implementation of blue magic is Square's way of telling nerds to stop being completionists

unfortunately, I am unable to listen

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

FactsAreUseless posted:

the voice acting and terrible everything combine to make it kind of charming.

the Mega Man Legends effect.

Alain Post posted:

Mainly I liked what I heard that the game doesn't really have a conventional JRPG narrative or plot structure. Not in some "haha we're subverting your expectations" thing, just that it's really unusual.

it's pretty typical JRPG, honestly, with all of the basic, expected twists. like if you made a checklist of common ones, ff8 would hit at least half of them.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Bicyclops posted:

ding ding ding ding ding

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

precision posted:

hmm, a jrpg that's actually a dating sim? that'll never catch on

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Bicyclops posted:

unfortunately, I am unable to listen

What I unironically love is how Square just keeps getting more and more batshit with obtuse things nobody would ever figure out on their own (Zodiac Spear is the obvious undisputed king but there's poo poo that's just as bad in the Fabulous Nova Crystal Meth Saga games)

it's like there are a couple guys there that keep betting they can make something so ridiculous or tedious that people won't bother and yet every time so many people bother

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
I'm glad that Falcom made the platforming in Nayuta no Kiseki so tight, because I'm playing through Gurumin and the platforming elements in it are honestly really poo poo. Still looks really nice, though. I wish there were more action adventure RPGs like these and Brave Fencer Musashi and Threads of Fate.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Adam Bowen posted:

There's going to be a new Deus Ex game and I'm afraid it's going to end up sucking. I suspect they decided to "streamline" even more than they already did with HR but hopefully they manage not to gently caress up the process too much

HR was a good game in spite of its problems honestly

precision posted:

What I unironically love is how Square just keeps getting more and more batshit with obtuse things nobody would ever figure out on their own (Zodiac Spear is the obvious undisputed king but there's poo poo that's just as bad in the Fabulous Nova Crystal Meth Saga games)

My favorite thing about the Zodiac Spear is that you could also get it as a 1/1000 drop from a respawning chest (1/10 chance of the chest being there on every zone reset, 1/100 chance of it containing a Zodiac Spear or something like that) and people actually got it or got multiples that way

The rare drops in that game, like Dragon Quest 9, actually led people to crack open the RNG algorithm to exploit those chests by casting Cure X number of times until they got the right seed to guarantee a 1/250 chest drop or whatever, which is pretty funny and good

Baku fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Apr 8, 2015

Adam Bowen
Jan 6, 2003

I wonder what the rate of Autism is in Japan. Where's famous Japan expert Tainted Reaper when you need him?

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

precision posted:

it's like there are a couple guys there that keep betting they can make something so ridiculous or tedious that people won't bother and yet every time so many people bother

i have to admit it is objectively kind of funny to troll people like me, but i don't like it one bit! that zodiac spear gambit was mean!

Stexils
Jun 5, 2008

the way HR has been handled post release with the directors cut and missing link dlc gives me high hopes they can successfully iterate in the sequel

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
TML had better level design than the base game which was nice. Unfortunately the same studio released Thief in the meantime which was not nice.

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

Alain Post posted:

TML had better level design than the base game which was nice. Unfortunately the same studio released Thief in the meantime which was not nice.

the people who made thi4f were probably laid off

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon

Zombies' Downfall posted:

if your goal is to wind retards up reporting people for tenuous violations of civility is as good of a way to do it and requires no greater levels of effort or care than complaining about how the forums are overrun by humorless transsexuals or whatever

better, sometimes; as far as I know the latter have never made offsite conservative discussion forums for the sole purpose of e-stalking goons

haha oh memories

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
e) n/m

• Locked thread