Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

I'm sure they're not poo poo games. Just mean that seeing the responses brought me down from "this is going to be the best Kirby game ever" levels of hype.

E: Steam might still be poo poo though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Saoshyant posted:

Well, S.T.E.A.M. is supposedly fixed with a patch that speeds up enemy turns. The art style is still much a love or hate affair that will depend on you.

No idea how the Kirby game actually turned out. "Short, kind of shallow but really cute" seems to be the description of every Kirby game, so I don't see how that applies specifically more to this entry than the others

Well when I say it's short I mean it's short even for a Kirby game.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Speeding up enemy turns won't really fix the core problem of S.T.E.A.M giving players next to no tactical information and constantly spawning in enemies forcing the player to blaze forward blindly without any breaks.

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

"Thus," concluded Miyamoto, "you must give up everything you have to be my disciple."

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Fixing the long-rear end enemy turns probably goes a long way with S.T.E.A.M. though. That was the only real thing that annoyed me with the demo.

A 3rd person sRPG is just a really, really, really dumb idea.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Katana Gomai posted:

A 3rd person sRPG is just a really, really, really dumb idea.

Wasn't Valkyria Chronicles pretty good because it still gave you an overview of the map whenever you wanted while you controlled characters in 3rd person?

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Yeah Valkyria Chronicles is basically the concept of a 3rd person SRPG done right (and the art style is a lot nicer than Project Steam) You have this map screen showing your units + the enemies in sight.

Then you use CP to go into 3rd person mode and take your units turns (and when you're controlling the unit you have a movement gauge thing like in Project Steam)

I dunno, it just works really well and I've never played anything else like it other than Project Steam which kinda botched some aspects of it. I'm hoping we might get a new Valkyria Chronicles because VC1 was ported to PC a while back but I don't think there's been any news

If Nintendo are still best buddies with Sega they should pay for VC4 on Wii U (it would sell horribly but I would buy it + a Welkin Gunther amiibo)

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer
Unfortunately VC2 was not all that great and they never brought over VC3. Both were PSP games.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~
Kirby's Rainbow Curse is charming as hell and beautiful to look at and listen to, but not incredibly fun. I do like the $40 price point for smaller, cuter games like it and Captain Toad though. I loved Captain Toad, which was similarly charming.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Monkey Fracas posted:

Unfortunately VC2 was not all that great and they never brought over VC3. Both were PSP games.

I thought 2 was ok apart from being super anime + there's a good fan translation patch for 3 which is worth playing I think

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Help Im Alive posted:

I thought 2 was ok apart from being super anime + there's a good fan translation patch for 3 which is worth playing I think

Heard 2 was super grindy. I'll have to check out 3.

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

STEAM's problem wasn't really that turns took too long, it's that you have no say which character starts at which location each map. 1 goes to spot 1, etc, but without knowing what those spots are the first time playing a map, you end up at a disadvantage all the time. Oh and sometimes the enemies can shoot through the geometry of the map, which is at best annoying, at worst calamitous.

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

Fritzler posted:

I got the Paper Mario game for Wii from a Club Nintendo reward so I could update it when the new version comes out. I'm having trouble connecting to my university's wifi on the wii side (although I can do it on the Wii U side). Anyone want the code?

Has anybody already gotten to you about this? Because I've been eyeballing Paper Mario. :)

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

"I stood there, wondering why the puck was getting bigger...

and then it hit me."

Ometeotl posted:

STEAM's problem wasn't really that turns took too long, it's that you have no say which character starts at which location each map. 1 goes to spot 1, etc, but without knowing what those spots are the first time playing a map, you end up at a disadvantage all the time. Oh and sometimes the enemies can shoot through the geometry of the map, which is at best annoying, at worst calamitous.

You can get around that actually just by selecting Restart Map and changing the order of your team to get them in the spots you want them. There's no penalty for doing this and it's actually fairly quick, but it makes you wonder why they didn't just let you set placement on the map itself instead.

Edit: Also I just realized this is the Wii U thread.

Shadow Ninja 64 fucked around with this message at 17:30 on Apr 8, 2015

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Dr. Fetus posted:

It's a pretty game, but mediocre otherwise.

It's a lot more fun with multiplayer and there's a decent post-game challenge in getting all the treasure chests, but yeah, otherwise you have to really love the concept. Not even I've felt compelled to get 100% because there are other games to play.

If you have kids though, they'll loving love it.

Regy Rusty posted:

Well when I say it's short I mean it's short even for a Kirby game.

I feel like it's about standard Kirby game length, I guess maybe it's short for a Kirby game if you blast straight through and don't go for any treasures? But I mean you can do that with pretty much any Kirby game.

raditts fucked around with this message at 17:43 on Apr 8, 2015

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

Grimey Drawer
I rented Kirby: Rainbow Curse and now I have Type II Diabetes!

Thanks, Nintendo!

The Lobster
Sep 3, 2011

Massive
Avian
Rear
Images

raditts posted:

HEY

LISTEN

We are talking Majora's Mask. It has (supposedly less annoying) sound cues at that same frequency.

Edit:

Saoshyant posted:

Well, S.T.E.A.M. is supposedly fixed with a patch that speeds up enemy turns. The art style is still much a love or hate affair that will depend on you.

No idea how the Kirby game actually turned out. "Short, kind of shallow but really cute" seems to be the description of every Kirby game, so I don't see how that applies specifically more to this entry than the others :shrug:

Maybe the Americanos should let us know how they feel about it.
Kirby is cute. I had never played Canvas Curse so I found his controls a bit annoying. It's short but I didn't pay full price (obviously). It's loving GORGEOUS but I spent most of my time looking at the Gamepad. I have no friends so I don't know how multiplayer is but from online reviews it looks fun plus any additional players can actually look at the TV. All in all it's not my favorite Kirby game but I don't regret the purchase.

The Lobster fucked around with this message at 18:01 on Apr 8, 2015

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

Monkey Fracas posted:

I rented Kirby: Rainbow Curse and now I have Type II Diabetes!

Thanks, Nintendo!

The type they were never able to cure...

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

Monkey Fracas posted:

apparently Sega or whoever was totally blindsided by VC1 selling like platinum amiibos on steam so it's not out of the question that we'll see future iterations if there are any???

Undead Muppet
Apr 29, 2007

Sade posted:

Go watch the first couple videos of chip cheezum's W101 LP if you are not sold on the game yet or you don't understand the mechanics. His LP also doubles as an excellent walkthrough of the game.

http://chipandironicus.com/videos/101/1u.html

Thanks for posting these. I ended up watching enough of the videos to realize W101 just isn't for me. I'm not the target demographic for Platinum-style action games. If I'm playing a game that involves combos, it either stars Tony Hawk or Batman.

So I'm gonna take it back today and exchange it, probably for New Super Mario Bros U, or Wind Walker HD if they have it. But assuming they don't have WWHD, and I want to play my first Zelda game since OoT, should I grab Twilight Princess or Skyward Sword? Which one is the better game?

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
If they don't have wind waker HD, exchange for an eShop card and download it, it's better than the other two.

Aperture Priority
May 4, 2009

~~*~~Is Dream~~*~~
:coolfish::3::coolfish:

Kirby is a game that I file under Charming to the Ultimate, Terrific Experience. Or C.U.T.E for short. My wife doesn't play a lot of games and loves it, and my niece and nephews (ages 4-11) have a blast playing the coop. It's extremely forgiving for the people playing as waddle dees, but can be really frustrating trying to draw some of the lines on the gamepad, especially some of the bosses. It's a pretty chill game, but very worth it at $40 imo.

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

I can't believe there are people who dislike Mario 3D World.

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005

so good at being in trouble

Little Mac posted:

I can't believe there are people who dislike Mario 3D World.

Do you think they're born bad, or did something happen to make them that way? EIther way, I'm sad for them

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

Tatsuta Age posted:

Do you think they're born bad, or did something happen to make them that way? EIther way, I'm sad for them

I don't agree with them, but Christ says to forgive them, and I do

Fawf
Nov 5, 2009

It's Me, It's Me, It's DDD

raditts posted:

HEY

LISTEN

IMO the existence of Fi retroactively makes Navi way more tolerable

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

oddium posted:

I don't agree with them, but Christ says to forgive them, and I do

The fact that there are people who don't like 3D World makes me question a god tbh

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster

Golden Goat posted:

And apparently both Kirby and S.T.E.A.M aren't as good as folks thought it would be. I am okay with the delay in their releases.

both games are great this is hosed up

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Games > Wii U General Discussion - Charming to the Ultimate, Terrific Experience

Dred Cosmonaut
Jan 6, 2010

There once was a tiger-striped cat.

Undead Muppet posted:

Thanks for posting these. I ended up watching enough of the videos to realize W101 just isn't for me. I'm not the target demographic for Platinum-style action games. If I'm playing a game that involves combos, it either stars Tony Hawk or Batman.

So I'm gonna take it back today and exchange it, probably for New Super Mario Bros U, or Wind Walker HD if they have it. But assuming they don't have WWHD, and I want to play my first Zelda game since OoT, should I grab Twilight Princess or Skyward Sword? Which one is the better game?

Pussy

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Bowser I do not remember you saying this when I was I kid

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
You have a lousy memory then

Spectacle Rock
May 24, 2013

Help Im Alive posted:

Bowser I do not remember you saying this when I was I kid

Bowser only says this if you collect all 120 Stars. You obviously failed at playing Super Mario 64 correctly :colbert:

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
NISA NA has a Rodea the Sky Soldier LE up for preorder: http://store.nisamerica.com/rodea-the-sky-soldier

quote:

- Rodea the Sky Soldier (3DS™ or Wii™/Wii U™)
- 5.25" x 7.75", 35+ page hardcover art book
- 10-song, single disc original soundtrack with jewel case
- Collector's box
- Bonus Item: "Key of Time" Pendant with Chain

Wii U version is $75, 3DS version is $55.

The Wii version of the game is included with all first-print copies of the game, not just the LE, so you don't have to pay extra just to play the Wii game.

RadicalR
Jan 20, 2008

"Businessmen are the symbol of a free society
---
the symbol of America."
Thanks for this. Preordered the Wii U regular edition.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

What even is this game

Should I preorder it right now, sight unseen?

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
it looks like a dreamcast gae

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Regy Rusty posted:

What even is this game

Should I preorder it right now, sight unseen?

Short version: Yuki Naja made a "flight action game" for Wii in 2011, publisher didn't release it because ???, and now they're releasing a significantly modified (by the publisher, not Naka) version for 3DS/Wii U and including Naka's original Wii game as a first-print bonus.

It just game out in Japan and the impressions are okay but not stellar. Most of the reviews are for the 3DS version, which has performance/camera issues not present on Wii U, but either way, it very much sounds like a weird atypical action game that would have been right at home on the Dreamcast.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Yeah I just looked it up and it has one of the strangest production histories I've ever seen.

This trailer doesn't really sell me on it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2phX5GRXnjw

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

Short version: Yuki Naja made a "flight action game" for Wii in 2011, publisher didn't release it because ???, and now they're releasing a significantly modified (by the publisher, not Naka) version for 3DS/Wii U and including Naka's original Wii game as a first-print bonus.

It just game out in Japan and the impressions are okay but not stellar. Most of the reviews are for the 3DS version, which has performance/camera issues not present on Wii U, but either way, it very much sounds like a weird atypical action game that would have been right at home on the Dreamcast.

So what exactly is it? Anime Sonic with some Shadow of the Colossus thrown in? I'm trying to wrap my head around why I would want the original Wii version with the Wii U version if a publisher thought it was not worth releasing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
it looks like bayonetta if the sonic team made it

• Locked thread