Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
The first five were put up on Netflix's screener site for critics. It's actually coming off more like Faraci is bitter he didn't get to see them, as none of his comments seem to be from actually seeing the show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

zoux posted:

Who the gently caress is this guy? Also all the glowing reviews I've seen are of the first five episodes.

He's a twitter warrior dickhole. So you should automatically know he talks out of his arse.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

ToastyPotato posted:

AoS was "decent" tonight, and hey, they finally fixed Deathlok's stupid loving costume. Why it wasn't that way to begin with is a testament to the badness of season 1. :negative:

No you see his costume was bad on purpose to trick the audience.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!
Noel Murray of AVClub and Tim Goodman of THR didn't like it. Those are the only outright negative sentiments I've seen from anyone with access to the screener episodes, though I expect a lot more reviews coming shortly.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC
What is really funny is that his costume is actually far simpler now than it was back then. They went out of their way to design a horrible loving costume before, considering it looked nothing like his comic book form at all. Now he looks like he is wearing something that could have come out of the Arrowverse. Go figure.

Mike Peterson is like the perfect analogy of this show. Random character that isn't very interesting, keeps showing up, then boom, they destroy him halfway through the first season and hap hazardly try to make him into a real Marvel character, except they incredibly half assed him, but now he is better in the second season because he seems more like something from the CW shows.

So anyway, the Inhumans sleep away camp was in the Himalayas, which is where Attilan original was, though they called that place something else. Pretty decent nod I suppose.

Edit: With regards to DD, I am not expecting it to be universally liked. I think the key thing here is to look for what people think of the show, and then see how they compare it to other similar shows. Because if that person also hates a show that you like, their opinion might be kind of pointless to consider at that point.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Trust me, you are taking this a lot more seriously then I am.
I don't know what you guys are talking about it's not even painted like a trapper keeper from the 90's anymore. Zero stars.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

ToastyPotato posted:

AoS was "decent" tonight, and hey, they finally fixed Deathlok's stupid loving costume. Why it wasn't that way to begin with is a testament to the badness of season 1. :negative:

Ah I haven't watched the latest. I had honestly hoped he would fade into the background noise. I'm honestly hoping the whole "second shield" plotline wraps up soon. It seems very counter productive for Coulson's team to be out in the world battling threats while a whole other shield team does nothing of note but snoop on Coulson's group. I have to assume that's all they have been doing otherwise they would have popped up on Coulson's radar.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

I'm not generally sympathetic to the notion that SHIELD needs a big-screen payoff to justify its existence, but I will say that it'd be a lot easier to care about the Gonzales storyline if there were more than a marginal chance of it having ramifications for the broader MCU. It's certainly a drat sight better than Centipede last season, but it does kinda feel like it's similarly killing time until the AOU episodes.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
I'm guessing something Ultron related is on their carrier which is why Fury had given Bobbi standing orders to destroy it. But I'm enjoying the story regardless and don't particularly care if it ties in to age of Ultron.

I'm more curious about the current conflict of Coulson wanting to cultivate and recruit people with powers vs Gonzales wanting to neutralize them, and what the actual inhumans are going to have to say about it. I don't think they're going to be huge fans of either approach.

Frankly if Ultron shows up I feel it will be somewhat of a diversion from the interesting story they have going on, though I'd love to see Skye or Peterson take out a few drones.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

I doubt they have the CG budget for any Ultron drones, honestly.

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

Oh yeah. I was killing you.

greatn posted:

I'm more curious about the current conflict of Coulson wanting to cultivate and recruit people with powers vs Gonzales wanting to neutralize them, and what the actual inhumans are going to have to say about it. I don't think they're going to be huge fans of either approach.

I think you are definitely right about what the Inhumans are going to say. Everything we've seen of them so far is focused on protecting themselves. I'm sure Sierra Madre is a little traumatized after being vivisected when her ability was discovered.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

greatn posted:

I'm guessing something Ultron related is on their carrier which is why Fury had given Bobbi standing orders to destroy it. But I'm enjoying the story regardless and don't particularly care if it ties in to age of Ultron.

Frankly if Ultron shows up I feel it will be somewhat of a diversion from the interesting story they have going on, though I'd love to see Skye or Peterson take out a few drones.

Stark likely only starts the Ultron program in response to Cap 2 actually.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Barry Convex posted:

Noel Murray of AVClub and Tim Goodman of THR didn't like it. Those are the only outright negative sentiments I've seen from anyone with access to the screener episodes, though I expect a lot more reviews coming shortly.

Do you have a link to the AVClub review?

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

Aphrodite posted:

Stark likely only starts the Ultron program in response to Cap 2 actually.

I wouldn't be shocked if it is a combo of Cap 2 and his PTSD in IM3.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

zoux posted:

Do you have a link to the AVClub review?

Murray hasn't reviewed it yet. He just tweeted that he's saving his full thoughts for the review, but that "I find the early raves baffling." Goodman hasn't either; he just tweeted about how he found it "hokey" that no one just shoots Daredevil.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

Barry Convex posted:

Murray hasn't reviewed it yet. He just tweeted that he's saving his full thoughts for the review, but that "I find the early raves baffling." Goodman hasn't either; he just tweeted about how he found it "hokey" that no one just shoots Daredevil.

Well that is the same for like, almost every single non-bullet proof superhero show/movie usually so that is pretty reassuring, actually. That's kind of what I mean about putting these opinions into context.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Barry Convex posted:

Well he did tweet it on April 1 :kiddo:

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Also, why don't they just shoot RoboCop's chin? It's right there!

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Why doesn't Lex Luthor just, like, shiv Superman with Kryptonite the first chance he gets? Gawd!

Esplanade
Jan 6, 2005

ToastyPotato posted:

Mike Peterson is like the perfect analogy of this show. Random character that isn't very interesting, keeps showing up, then boom, they destroy him halfway through the first season and hap hazardly try to make him into a real Marvel character, except they incredibly half assed him, but now he is better in the second season because he seems more like something from the CW shows.

So anyway, the Inhumans sleep away camp was in the Himalayas, which is where Attilan original was, though they called that place something else. Pretty decent nod I suppose.

It just dawned on me that eyeless dude is functioning in Lockjaw's role and now I'm disappointed in the lack of giant dogges. :staredog:

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer
Hit up CBR if you want to see Daredevil's eventual Red Batman costume.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

The AV Club review isn't that bad. B- for the first five, Murray mainly seems to complain about how it's too dark and not episodically paced enough.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,
you shouldn't have signed it.

redbackground posted:

Hit up CBR if you want to see Daredevil's eventual Red Batman costume.

Some other sites are showing bigger screenshot/images.

Hitfix gave it a glowing review as both a tv show and Daredevil adaptation

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

zoux posted:

The AV Club review isn't that bad. B- for the first five, Murray mainly seems to complain about how it's too dark and not episodically paced enough.

Sounds pretty reasonable. Sounds like it has the same problem as that miniseries Shadow Line, where every scene was quiet and drawn out.

Waterhaul posted:

Some other sites are showing bigger screenshot/images.

Someone in the comments is saying that it's a photoshop of the Paul Rudd Ant-Man costume, which seems plausible.

e: hahahah

(He's legally blind, but the weirdest part is that tv shows have premieres now)

BravestOfTheLamps fucked around with this message at 15:24 on Apr 9, 2015

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

I've been involved in a number of cults, both as a leader and a follower.

You have more fun as a follower. But you make more money as a leader.

Daredevil red suit shot is real, here's the official reveal video

https://t.co/sjSEgpEn2Z

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.
That suit looks exceptionally lovely.

Just stick with the thrown together look.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
It looks decent now, but not exceptional or remarkable. I'm guessing it's like his 90s costume and Bucky Barnes' Captain America get-up, with the red armour is laid over black.

e: I was reading Man Without Fear, and was surprised over how it emphasised the "swashbuckling adventurer" part. I think people don't remember Miller's run that well outside of Born Again.

BravestOfTheLamps fucked around with this message at 17:44 on Apr 9, 2015

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

It looks decent now, but not exceptional or remarkable. I'm guessing it's like his 90s costume and Bucky Barnes' Captain America get-up, with the red armour is laid over black.

e: I was reading Man Without Feat, and was surprised over how it emphasised the "swashbuckling adventurer" part. I think people don't remember Miller's run that well outside of Born Again.

There is also that Elektra stuff too!

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Yeah when I think "Frank Miller DD" I think "Electra with sais sticking out of her back and crawling to Matt's house to die in his arms".

I read that they DeKnight has already started planning for a second season where they do the Bullseye/Elektra arc.

I don't know if they are intending multiple seasons though, because a second DD season would come out next year, but they got Luke Cage/Iron Fist/(probably) AKAJJ next year, and Defenders after that. Seems like the show is "Marvel Street Level" with the different characters being different seasons. The earliest, to my reckoning, that a second DD season could come out would be 2017.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
I'm kind of the opposite, when I think Miller's Daredevil, I think "Turk: the new Stiltman!".

AbsolutelySane
Jul 2, 2012

zoux posted:

Yeah when I think "Frank Miller DD" I think "Electra with sais sticking out of her back and crawling to Matt's house to die in his arms".

I read that they DeKnight has already started planning for a second season where they do the Bullseye/Elektra arc.

I don't know if they are intending multiple seasons though, because a second DD season would come out next year, but they got Luke Cage/Iron Fist/(probably) AKAJJ next year, and Defenders after that. Seems like the show is "Marvel Street Level" with the different characters being different seasons. The earliest, to my reckoning, that a second DD season could come out would be 2017.

We've been assuming that the show is "Marvel Street Level", but all of the shows have different crews/showrunners/writers. The Actors may show up in other shows from time to time, but I don't see a reason why they can't produce another season of Daredevil if the first one is a hit without really impacting the other shows. The only resource the shows really share is money, and that can be increased if they want to do more Daredevil.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

AbsolutelySane posted:

We've been assuming that the show is "Marvel Street Level", but all of the shows have different crews/showrunners/writers. The Actors may show up in other shows from time to time, but I don't see a reason why they can't produce another season of Daredevil if the first one is a hit without really impacting the other shows. The only resource the shows really share is money, and that can be increased if they want to do more Daredevil.

Not Defenders, which has all four together. That's the real bottleneck, as it were, for future seasons.

AbsolutelySane
Jul 2, 2012

zoux posted:

Not Defenders, which has all four together. That's the real bottleneck, as it were, for future seasons.

Yeah, but they could probably get another season of Daredevil in before they start filming Defenders. We still have AKA JJ, Iron Fist, and Luke Cage to go. That's plenty of time to shoot another season and incorporate what happens into Defenders.

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

I'm wondering how the rest of the team will look. Jessica Jones has typically only been shown in her costume as flashbacks in most of the comics I've seen her in, and Luke Cage's modern incarnation has mostly just worn street clothes. Iron Fist won't be too hard to translate to live action at least

I also wonder if we'll get characters in the team without their own lead up shows like how some Avengers didn't have solo movies.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Dacap posted:

I'm wondering how the rest of the team will look. Jessica Jones has typically only been shown in her costume as flashbacks in most of the comics I've seen her in, and Luke Cage's modern incarnation has mostly just worn street clothes. Iron Fist won't be too hard to translate to live action at least

Well if she has a baby in AKA JJ, then she can spend defenders doing nothing but screaming ":byodood: MY BABY"

I am really interested to see if and how they do the Bagley drawn issue, I imagine that she won't be taking a shot at Wanda and dodging Mjolnir.

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

zoux posted:

Well if she has a baby in AKA JJ, then she can spend defenders doing nothing but screaming ":byodood: MY BABY"

I am really interested to see if and how they do the Bagley drawn issue, I imagine that she won't be taking a shot at Wanda and dodging Mjolnir.

And squirrel girl as the nanny

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Dacap posted:

And squirrel girl as the nanny
Yes. Please.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
It's a real shame that they so rarely used the Jewel costume, because it's one of my favourite modern-retro designs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand

Dacap posted:

:geno: That...that is a rough-looking costume and hopefully it'll look better in the show.