Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

I fought the lava, and the lava won.
Angry Joe did a lot less trashing than most critics on the Internet. There were a lot of games he had little but praise for, and a game had to be really bad to get much more than disappointment from him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Yeah the only things Angry Joe actually gets angry about are non-video game things which is kind of counter-intuitive to his job as a video game reviewer with a gimmick!

Combat Lobster
Feb 18, 2013

Lazyfire posted:

Looks like Angry Joe has decided to stop covering Nintendo games after the company announced their weird rules about posting gameplay videos.

I'm sure the multibillion dollar company won't miss a single "Angry" reviewer whose entire gimmick is trashing every game he touches.

I haven't seen much of Joe, but I thought his gimmick was green-screening himself to make it look like he was from the Neo-future. (That and Superman T-shirt with leather jacket.)

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

If I remember right the guy gave DmC like an 8/10, despite his own disappointment with it and the bitter feelings that were running rampant through the fandom at the time. He seems surprisingly reasonable?

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

Combat Lobster posted:

I haven't seen much of Joe, but I thought his gimmick was green-screening himself to make it look like he was from the Neo-future. (That and Superman T-shirt with leather jacket.)

He's from the Nostalgia Critic's site right? If so then everyone on that site gives themselves a dumb story with OCs and bad costumes.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

bobjr posted:

He's from the Nostalgia Critic's site right? If so then everyone on that site gives themselves a dumb story with OCs and bad costumes.

It's mostly just him and Linkara nowadays.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
I'm pretty sure everyone ran away from that sinking ship due to really awful contracts or something.

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook

HGH posted:

I'm pretty sure everyone ran away from that sinking ship due to really awful contracts or something.

Nah, they didn't even have contracts.

People just jumped ship because that place was a trainwreck. It was basically the extreme conclusion of "paid in exposure".

Attestant
Oct 23, 2012

Don't judge me.
Angry Joe is pretty much the only person from that site that was smart enough to basically go solo on YouTube, while the others clinged on that horrible blip based site.

He's done really well after that, and I kinda gotta respect him for it.

judge reinhold
Jul 26, 2001
What is/was the deal with that site? Did people get paid to be on "Channel Awesome"? I read a lot of the stuff that Lupa and Phelous posted, but I cannot figure out what the point of it was since they apparently did not get paid yet were told how to run their shows. Was the payment the satisfaction in appearing in the god awful movies the nostalgia man wrote?

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

judge reinhold posted:

What is/was the deal with that site? Did people get paid to be on "Channel Awesome"? I read a lot of the stuff that Lupa and Phelous posted, but I cannot figure out what the point of it was since they apparently did not get paid yet were told how to run their shows. Was the payment the satisfaction in appearing in the god awful movies the nostalgia man wrote?

The benefit was mostly the exposure they got. Most of them were relatively unknown before appearing on the site.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

In the end there were so many people joining that hive for exposure that it all turned into white noise with streaks of brown.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

SelenicMartian posted:

In the end there were so many people joining that hive for exposure that it all turned into white noise with streaks of brown.

Seriously, I checked their site like a month ago just to see how bad it got, and it's Brad Jones and five hundred thumbnails of a movie with some random reviewer screaming next to it.

Brad, buddy, you're too good for this. Move on like everyone else man. :(

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
Finally, the recognition the series deserves

http://www.avclub.com/article/five-nights-freddys-video-game-be-made-movie-217680

Doseku
Nov 9, 2009
It might not be so bad. It's not like they can turn it into the Silent Hill movies. I would worry though if it gets slapped with a pg-13 rating though. suspense/horror doesn't tend to do well with that kind of rating outside of Coraline. Plus it would be fun to see hollywoods take on it as long as they follow the source just a tiny bit. It would certainly be boring if it was an hour and a half of a security guard sitting in a room looking at monitors.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
I certainly hope its entire method of scaring the viewer is jumpscares, those worked so well in the game.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
Honestly tongue-in-cheek slasher horror with a huge loser as a temp in this homicidal pizza parlor could actually be a very fun watch if written right. It's not a terrible elevator pitch for a self-aware horror movie, let's be fair.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

nendymion posted:

It might not be so bad. It's not like they can turn it into the Silent Hill movies. I would worry though if it gets slapped with a pg-13 rating though. suspense/horror doesn't tend to do well with that kind of rating outside of Coraline. Plus it would be fun to see hollywoods take on it as long as they follow the source just a tiny bit. It would certainly be boring if it was an hour and a half of a security guard sitting in a room looking at monitors.

PG-13 isn't really worrisome. The rating depends on the amount of gore, sex, and cursing more than the actual fear it generates. Five Nights at Freddy's is already basically PG-13 at worst in most of its content.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

It's paranormal activity, but with more animals.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Jesus Christ.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

Ehh. I hope they don't mess it up, but I won't be surprised if they do.

I cannot help but admire a game that not only has such a unique gameplay but even use it to accentuate the horror element.

judge reinhold
Jul 26, 2001

Andrast posted:

The benefit was mostly the exposure they got. Most of them were relatively unknown before appearing on the site.

That seems odd, like, how do you really quantify the exposure? Also, they seemed to create rules about how many ads the people on the site could display, whether or not people could promote patreon, etc. Like, why would you listen to people not giving you money telling you how to get money in favor of the vague prospect of maybe capturing a chunk of the audience that only goes to see Nostalgia Critic and never looks at the sidebars or whatever? Maybe that is part of why it's going "the way of the dinosaurs".

I am going to go wait in line for this movie now.

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

I fought the lava, and the lava won.
I only ever got bits and pieces of the TGWTG/Channel Awesome story, but it seems like the site wasn't making enough money and there was some cronyism going on i.e. site management trying to maximize their own profits in people using the site as a portal and pulling up ads as opposed to the video producers running midroll ads, which generally deter people from wanting to watch the videos and thus coming to the site at all. I know there was some confusion over Patreons, which would also draw people away from the main portal because they'd be using Patreon as a portal instead, and personality conflicts have been going on and driving producers away from the site for years. I think most of the really old TGWTG crew have moved to other sites except Doug himself and Linkara, and most of the producers there now are people who just started since the move to Channel Awesome a few months ago. There IS definitely an exposure benefit, at least from my perspective as a viewer, since when I go to the site, there's a chance I'll see a thumbnail for a video that interests me and I'll check it out. I believe the producers are left to their own fundraising devices, though, and there's no kickbacks from the site at all. There's probably some minimum number of crossovers with other producers on the site as well, for cross-promotion.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
Speaking of TGWTG, this compilation of someone hired to help with sound production on Kickassia in a 4chan thread has been floating around for a bit. The whole thing might be bullshit, but it certainly goes along with other behind the scenes stories that have popped up over time.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

paradoxGentleman posted:

Ehh. I hope they don't mess it up, but I won't be surprised if they do.

I cannot help but admire a game that not only has such a unique gameplay but even use it to accentuate the horror element.

I too hope they stay true to the spirit of this awful flash game based on a mediocre 1990s fmv title.

bhlaab
Feb 21, 2005

CJacobs posted:

Yeah the only things Angry Joe actually gets angry about are non-video game things which is kind of counter-intuitive to his job as a video game reviewer with a gimmick!

Yeah but Weepy Joe doesn't pull in the numbers

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook
I can't watch Angry Joe because the way he clasps his hands and smiles when he talks makes it looks like Happy Mask Salesman Reviews.

This could also count as a pro to some people.

Big Scary Owl
Oct 1, 2014

by Fluffdaddy
I stumbled upon some dude spamming another LP forum and he was posting these images for his video thumbnails:

Jesus gently caress that guy looks psychotic :stare:

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

Big Scary Owl posted:

I stumbled upon some dude spamming another LP forum and he was posting these images for his video thumbnails:

Jesus gently caress that guy looks psychotic :stare:

These people and their stupid goddamn mugging faces.

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

There should be a contest for the worst title card that has the person's face put in some way.

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

People are supposed to get hurt by things. It's fucked up to not. It's not good for you.

Danaru posted:

Speaking of TGWTG, this compilation of someone hired to help with sound production on Kickassia in a 4chan thread has been floating around for a bit. The whole thing might be bullshit, but it certainly goes along with other behind the scenes stories that have popped up over time.

I was looking for this image a while back and couldn't find it. Thanks! It's kinda funny how the entire TGWTG and Channel Awesome just slowly burned out and is basically dying off at this point, I could've sworn there was a time where it seemed like it was pretty up there in terms of popularity.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Jsor posted:

I can't watch Angry Joe because the way he clasps his hands and smiles when he talks makes it looks like Happy Mask Salesman Reviews.

This could also count as a pro to some people.

You've met with a terrible game, haven't you?

Attestant
Oct 23, 2012

Don't judge me.

SuccinctAndPunchy posted:

I was looking for this image a while back and couldn't find it. Thanks! It's kinda funny how the entire TGWTG and Channel Awesome just slowly burned out and is basically dying off at this point, I could've sworn there was a time where it seemed like it was pretty up there in terms of popularity.

It was pretty popular for a while, and helped define early nerd video review trends.

However the site launched around 2008, and the vidoes themselves were Blip.tv based. Unfortunately for them, 2008 was also when YouTube really started to take off. YouTube became the internet video standard, while Blip.tv kept getting worse with more adverts and shittier tech all around. This is why I think that Angry Joe was smart to move on YouTube around that timeframe. Then the TGWTG-site started to curl up inside it's own rear end with the dumb crossovers, continuity and content bloat, and they kept losing key people to dumb drama (Spoony, etc).

Combine that with the growing popularity of YouTube based vloggers and LPers, and you get the barren wasteland Channel Awesome is now.

(edit) I used to spend far too much time watching their videos back in the "good" old days. :saddowns:

Attestant fucked around with this message at 11:58 on Apr 9, 2015

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Can you even do TV/Movie reviews like that on youtube without losing all the ad revenue to copyright claims?

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Andrast posted:

Can you even do TV/Movie reviews like that on youtube without losing all the ad revenue to copyright claims?

You have to pretty much constantly battle copyright claims with fair use counter-claims- which you shouldn't even have to do in the first place, but this thread has been over YouTube's copyright claim garbage many times- but it is possible.

DialTheDude
Jan 12, 2014

PORK RICE BOWLS

Lipstick Apathy

Andrast posted:

I find most movie reviewers on Youtube nowadays just forget about ad revenue and make their dough off Patreon or other crowd-funded donation sites. It's pretty much the simplest way to not want to deal with copyright claims if you acknowledge the footage isn't yours from the start.

slowbeef
Mar 15, 2005

Will Harvey hates you, and everything you stand for.
Pillbug

DialTheDude posted:

I find most movie reviewers on Youtube nowadays just forget about ad revenue and make their dough off Patreon or other crowd-funded donation sites. It's pretty much the simplest way to not want to deal with copyright claims if you acknowledge the footage isn't yours from the start.

Monetizing/not monetizing your videos doesn't affect whether or not you'll get copyright strikes or claims.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

slowbeef posted:

Monetizing/not monetizing your videos doesn't affect whether or not you'll get copyright strikes or claims.

Yep. I know the OSW Review guys (who chronologically critique wrestling PPVs) get claims on their poo poo all the time and it's not monetized. They've also moved to their own website now to avoid that issue.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
Wierdly enough, I had a claim on a video, and acknowledged it since I don't monetize anyway. A few weeks later, it just went away on it's own. I have no idea how they work anymore. :psyduck:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Copyright claims have nothing to do with you monetizing, they're a thing copyright holders can do to assert that they own some part of a video you've uploaded, be it game audio, art assets or even just the game you're playing. At that point, any ads run on the video will give the revenue to the copyright holder and even if you weren't running ads, the copyright holder themselves can play ads on the video.

• Locked thread