Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

The Highest Judge of Paradise
Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

JT Jag posted:

Subsidized weapon purchases for every adult American (you can get away with not owning your own gun until 26 under your parents' coverage)

The NRA would hate it

Why? The government would cover most of the cost with the difference going to the citizens. Think about all the money they'd make. Why would they turn away so much business? :downs:

A Winner is Jew posted:

I love asking the NRA types why they're not trying to arm the homeless since gun ownership should be for everyone.

Well I mean obviously we need to have some background checks in force. *Is fired as an NRA spokesperson*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

Chamale posted:

The NRA is run more by the gun lobby than by racists, so they'd love it.

Subsidized guns and price caps combined to make them available to everyone. Then you could make them confusedly go to their accountents and ask whether they should be pissed or not.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
You would also need to legislate some minimum quality/performance requirements for all firearms sold.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
If you own a gun you are on the draft list for national guard, so you are in a militia. It's like a jury duty lottery system.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer
Mandatory firearms safety training in schools might not be a horrible thing.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

LORD OF BUTT posted:

The left needs to just loving drop gun control. In addition to polarizing centrists who like guns, it's actively counterproductive, because we need to be arming and training the poor (especially poor minorities). Anyone who wants guns to be banned is forgetting that laws don't apply to our real enemies; it'll just widen the force gap between them and us.

Gun control is just how old liberal parents/grandparents freak out about crime. Rather that than racism.

Most liberals don't care about gun control. I'm in favor of even higher rates of gun ownership because statistically gun owners are more likely to kill themselves or family members.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich
Ya'll overlooking the obvious policy option: allow vets to keep their gun. You serve, you get to take your M16 home with you.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

My Imaginary GF posted:

Ya'll overlooking the obvious policy option: allow vets to keep their gun. You serve, you get to take your M16 home with you.
Active national guard members too, because well regulated militia.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

JT Jag posted:

well regulated militia.

Weird. Did you coin that term? I've never seen it before?

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Popular Thug Drink posted:

Gun control is just how old liberal parents/grandparents dogwhistle about racism.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

zoux posted:

Weird. Did you coin that term? I've never seen it before?
Yeah nice to meet you, my name is James Madison, I wrote something up about this once

Side note: I bet if you asked a selection of Americans who was primarily responsible for writing the Constitution, significantly more would answer Thomas Jefferson than Madison

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

The Highest Judge of Paradise
Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

JT Jag posted:

Yeah nice to meet you, my name is James Madison, I wrote something up about this once

Side note: I bet if you asked a selection of Americans who was primarily responsible for writing the Constitution, significantly more would answer Thomas Jefferson than Madison

Clearly the Thomas Edison of the founding fathers.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

My Imaginary GF posted:

Oh man would this be such a clusterfuck. So many wives/husbands would be dead within a month.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Sir Tonk posted:

Oh man would this be hilarious. So many wives would be dead within a month.

Yes, hilarious.

E: I see your :ninja:

Talmonis
Jun 24, 2012
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.

Sir Tonk posted:

Oh man would this be such a clusterfuck. So many wives/husbands would be dead within a month.

Ouch man, you're not supposed to laugh about it.

Amergin
Jan 29, 2013

THE SOUND A WET FART MAKES

A Winner is Jew posted:

I love asking the NRA types why they're not trying to arm the homeless since gun ownership should be for everyone.

Most homeless have mental health issues, why would you hand them guns?

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

Sir Tonk posted:

"You slept with who during my deployment?!?!??"

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Sir Tonk posted:

Would they, though? Even if they are, dead folk don't vote, money votes. And boy howdy would the gun lobby love this.

HUGE PUBES A PLUS
Apr 30, 2005

This is actually causing an outrage. http://www.mlive.com/news/ann-arbor/index.ssf/2015/04/report_u-m_cancels_american_sn.html :smug:

"How dare they cancel the screening of this movie just because students protested it?" And the University of Michigan just happens to be next door to the largest Arab community outside of the Middle East.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc
Either way, it's really loving stupid. We had guys losing their weapons while in the field doing exercises, imagine them losing one in the neighboring city.

Everblight posted:

Yes, hilarious.

E: I see your :ninja:

:argh:

Look Around You
Jan 19, 2009

So I think the White House has moved into openly trolling Netanyahu now by revising his very famous graphical aid:

https://twitter.com/WhiteHouse/status/585879181520728064

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!

LORD OF BUTT posted:

The left needs to just loving drop gun control. In addition to polarizing centrists who like guns, it's actively counterproductive, because we need to be arming and training the poor (especially poor minorities). Anyone who wants guns to be banned is forgetting that laws don't apply to our real enemies; it'll just widen the force gap between them and us.

That has been the position of the left since there was a left. Don't confuse "modern Democratic Party of the United States" with "the left"

For a brief overview I'd say go read Zinn or any coverage of the Civil Rights movement that doesn't completely whitewash it. If your ideals are engraved by the concept of giving power to the powerless a big part of that is supporting arms. It isn't at all inconsistent with "gently caress everything that ends in murder and children crying" to want the oppressed to come to the negotiating table with their own strength.

withak posted:

You would also need to legislate some minimum quality/performance requirements for all firearms sold.

This is what the NRA actually hates, because that's a cost on the manufacturers. But compare what has gone on with improvements in cars with improvements in firearms. The difference is stunning.

Monkey Fracas posted:

Put it on the list with "how taxes work and how to file for them", "basic financial literacy and how to budget", "basic investment planning so you can retire", and "direct spending vs tax expenditures - where government money really goes"

Fried Chicken fucked around with this message at 21:10 on Apr 8, 2015

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Look Around You posted:

So I think the White House has moved into openly trolling Netanyahu now by revising his very famous graphical aid:

https://twitter.com/WhiteHouse/status/585879181520728064

I really do not look forward to Israel becoming a partisan issue, even if it is a massive evolution of the relationship.

Mostly because I have evangelical family members, and many were Democrats by virtue of Republicans being rather bigoted, but Israel trumps all that.

Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

Sir Tonk posted:

Either way, it's really loving stupid. We had guys losing their weapons while in the field doing exercises, imagine them losing one in the neighboring city.

:argh:

Don't worry it'd be returned to the proper owner: only dude not carrying a gun.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Amergin posted:

For defense against all the NRA members with mental health issues.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

Amergin posted:

Are you saying that we should implement mental health background checks before the sale or distribution of guns, Amergin? How... liberal of you.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

HUGE PUBES A PLUS posted:

This is actually causing an outrage. http://www.mlive.com/news/ann-arbor/index.ssf/2015/04/report_u-m_cancels_american_sn.html :smug:

"How dare they cancel the screening of this movie just because students protested it?" And the University of Michigan just happens to be next door to the largest Arab community outside of the Middle East.

I see you take state funding for your uni. Would be an awful shame if that fundjng disappeared due to inappropriate actions, quite the awful shame.

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

Amergin posted:

Are you suggesting mandatory background checks prior to gun ownership to prevent people with possible mental health issues from legally owning firearms?

Monkey Fracas posted:

I strongly agree with this.

They don't need range time but they should absolutely know how loving serious you need to be with safety around firearms.

lamentable dustman
Apr 13, 2007

🏆🏆🏆

JT Jag posted:

Active national guard members too, because well regulated militia.

Mandatory firearm training in HS. Everyone gets a rifle at 17 as a part of Selective Service that they have to keep and maintain. Females also required to sign up for Selective Service

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Remember, if you are afraid of the government coming to take your things, and you are not a Native American, you probably have mental health issues.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Monkey Fracas posted:

Here's all the firearms safety training you need: don't touch guns and especially don't go around pointing them at people.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc
http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2015-04-08/for-some-wisconsin-state-workers-climate-change-isn-t-something-you-can-talk-about

quote:

Discussing climate change is out of bounds for workers at a state agency in Wisconsin. So is any work related to climate changeeven responding to e-mails about the topic.

A vote on Tuesday by Wisconsins Board of Commissioners of Public Lands, a three-member panel overseeing an agency that benefits schools and communities in the state, enacted the staff ban on climate change. Its not a part of our sole mission, which is to make money for our beneficiaries, said State Treasurer Matt Adamczyk, a Republican who sits on the board. Thats what I want our employees working on. Thats it. Managing our trust funds.

:psyduck:

Is this seriously the marching orders that the GOP govs got? The only strategy they have left is just "don't talk about it"? Florida has been getting clowned by the media for weeks now, this can't possibly be a worthwhile plan for more than a few months.

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

lamentable dustman posted:

Mandatory firearm training in HS. Everyone gets a rifle at 17 as a part of Selective Service that they have to keep and maintain. Females also required to sign up for Selective Service

17 for the rifle and qualifying with it at a range.

6'th grade for basic firearm safety about muzzle and trigger discipline, what to do with a found gun, and how to properly store ammo.

A Winner is Jew fucked around with this message at 21:14 on Apr 8, 2015

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

A Winner is Jew posted:

Are you suggesting mandatory background checks prior to gun ownership to prevent people with possible mental health issues from legally owning firearms?

I strongly agree with this.

They don't need range time but they should absolutely know how loving serious you need to be with safety around firearms.

What fun is that? That's like making kids take drivers ed and never letting them drive. Or showing them the graphic STD pictures and telling them abstinence is the only way to prevent them.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Fried Chicken posted:

But compare what has gone on with improvements in cars with improvements in firearms. The difference is stunning.

*coughRemingtonR51cough*

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

Also all of the guns you get after passing the test at 17 are ID-locked. Because it's your gun and no one else's.

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007

Sir Tonk posted:

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2015-04-08/for-some-wisconsin-state-workers-climate-change-isn-t-something-you-can-talk-about

:psyduck:

Is this seriously the marching orders that the GOP govs got? The only strategy they have left is just "don't talk about it"? Florida has been getting clowned by the media for weeks now, this can't possibly be a worthwhile plan for more than a few months.

Someone last month said that this is eventually going to result in all sorts of fun phrases like "atmospheric weirdening" when they can't use the words "climate change" anymore.

This, like Florida's ban, is such an absurd approach to the issue.

quote:

The move to ban an issue leaves staff at the Board of Commissioners of Public Lands in the unusual position of not being able to speak about how climate change might affect lands it oversees.

LALALALA CAN'T HEAR YOU *sticks fingers in ears* LALALALALA *water bubbles up over mouth and head* *forest burns down*

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

Ron Jeremy posted:

What fun is that? That's like making kids take drivers ed and never letting them drive. Or showing them the graphic STD pictures and telling them abstinence is the only way to prevent them.

gently caress it, competitive shooting should be a possible sport for all HS students in the nation to participate in. Target, trap, long range, pistol, and for those in with snow biathlon in the winter months.

Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

Nintendo Kid posted:

Here's all the firearms safety training you need: don't touch guns and especially don't go around pointing them at people.

As a safety professional: no! Bad fish!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

a shameful boehner posted:

Someone last month said that this is eventually going to result in all sorts of fun phrases like "atmospheric weirdening" when they can't use the words "climate change" anymore.
The thing is that these are informal rules and violators are punished bureaucratically and not legally. So it's not the words that are banned, it's the very discussion of the concept. Even if you managed to publish a detailed report about climate change without saying the words climate change or global warming, you'd still get raked over the coals if it doesn't fall in line with the state's 'official stance'.

• Locked thread