Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What will the Nightly Show be like?
This poll is closed.
A news parody, like the Daily Show 15 13.27%
A pundit satire, like the Colbert Report 7 6.19%
Something else entirely 91 80.53%
Total: 113 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Je suis fatigue
May 5, 2009

Amazing! It's a double J.O.!
Looks like they just cut it down to 3 panelists permanently. Tonight is also 3 according to twitter (Yvette Nicole Brown, Dorian Warren, and Ricky Velez). https://twitter.com/rickyvelez/status/585597971246534656

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

It looks weirdly asymmetrical, but it's probably a better balance to only have 3 people since usually the fourth person rarely says anything.

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?
Louie Gohmert: "gently caress it, let's start World War III."

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Rand Paul for the next United States of America.

berserker
Aug 17, 2003

My love for you
is ticking clock
I wonder what that obvious edit during the Peter Dinklage interview was all about.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

berserker posted:

I wonder what that obvious edit during the Peter Dinklage interview was all about.

"So no seriously Jon Snow is actually Rhaegar Targaryen's son and the true heir to the Iron Throne right?"

"Yea"

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?

berserker posted:

An extended, tear-filled apology for Destiny.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
You're 26 and still a libertarian?

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

404GoonNotFound posted:

An extended, tear-filled apology for Destiny.

Good lord, how can someone that's normally so good be so bad at something... Dinklebot is some of the worst voice acting I've ever heard in a video game.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

kayakyakr posted:

Good lord, how can someone that's normally so good be so bad at something... Dinklebot is some of the worst voice acting I've ever heard in a video game.

Even the best VA work in the history of mankind couldn't save that rancid garbage fire of a game.

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

IRQ posted:

Even the best VA work in the history of mankind couldn't save that rancid garbage fire of a game.

It's a frustrating game: grindy as hell, but some of the best feeling guns on the market right now. Gun play kinda ruined me for some other games. Borderlands Pre-Sequel felt really bad, especially. If you haven't played since before Jan, you might give it another chance. Reportedly, they've fixed a whole lot.

Still terrible VA for dinklebot, though.

PassTheRemote
Mar 15, 2007

Number 6 holds The Village record in Duck Hunt.

The first one to kill :laugh: wins.

kayakyakr posted:

Bad directing. I have heard he was given no context for his lines in Destiny. Can't blame a VA when no one will give him direction.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

PassTheRemote posted:

Bad directing. I have heard he was given no context for his lines in Destiny. Can't blame a VA when no one will give him direction.

The player wasn't given any context for anything either.

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

kayakyakr posted:

It's a frustrating game: grindy as hell, but some of the best feeling guns on the market right now. Gun play kinda ruined me for some other games. Borderlands Pre-Sequel felt really bad, especially. If you haven't played since before Jan, you might give it another chance. Reportedly, they've fixed a whole lot.

Still terrible VA for dinklebot, though.

I won't deny that the game was fun, I just couldn't take it remotely seriously in any way outside of the gameplay, especially Daniels from the Wire being the guy who sold me my legendary gear.

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

PassTheRemote posted:

that's a fair criticism for most of what is wrong in the game

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

PassTheRemote posted:

I don't think people always fully grasp the director's role in an actor's performance. A bad director can make the job a *lot* harder.

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Hej min vän, hur står det till?

Geniasis posted:

I don't think people always fully grasp the director's role in an actor's performance. A bad director can make the job a *lot* harder.

Exactly this. With voice it's especially difficult because you're often in a booth alone and have nobody to respond or work with in terms of line delivery and flow. If you combine that with very little direction and feedback, you're going to get a performance that makes no sense. Directors are also very helpful when it comes to alternative line readings, because it can be difficult to think of possible differences in inflections on one's own.

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true
Alright, sorry about contributing to that derail, back to your regularly scheduled Larry Wilmore hating.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

kayakyakr posted:

Alright, sorry about contributing to that derail, back to your regularly scheduled Larry Wilmore hating.

I was actually considering going back and checking out the latest episodes that saw good reactions here. He's no Colbert, but if his show resembles Real Time without the smug or constant shouting it could be great.

FebrezeNinja
Nov 22, 2007

Neeksy posted:

Exactly this. With voice it's especially difficult because you're often in a booth alone and have nobody to respond or work with in terms of line delivery and flow. If you combine that with very little direction and feedback, you're going to get a performance that makes no sense. Directors are also very helpful when it comes to alternative line readings, because it can be difficult to think of possible differences in inflections on one's own.

Nerdist had a great interview with Andrea Romano about voice direction and casting: http://nerdist.com/nerdist-podcast-andrea-romano/ (skip to 5:45)
Pretty informative and I was surprised I didn't recognize the name considering that filmography.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Good job...Florida?

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

I'm glad someone's pointing out how lovely Rahm has been as mayor. Although he isn't talking about the school closures in poor/minority areas, which were pretty indicative of his lovely neoliberalism.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

Rhonne posted:

Good job...Florida?

I am so, so glad that my state (New Jersey) wasn't on that list. But seriously, what the gently caress, New York and New England states?!

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
That was a strong TDS episode last night. We had Stewart ripping bad journalism; than a depressing but hilarious Sam Bee bit, a cathartic rip on Rahm, and a guest who always has interesting things to say.

I'm not as big a Rand Paul hater as most people, but Larry's panel does seem needlessly sympathetic towards him. Yes, there are plenty of libertarians who are pro-choice and pro-gay rights; but it is absolutely foolish to believe those who aren't are "secretly" still are; but that's the impression I get from the panel. Especially when you consider how the Pauls' libertarianism has a stronger paleocon bent to it. Maybe Bernie just sympathizes for Rand a little from being a quasi-outsider.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

raditts posted:

Rand Paul for the next United States of America.

Hermun Cain for USA!

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

kayakyakr posted:

Last night's episode was practically anti-comedy and dick riding Rand Paul of all things.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

IRQ posted:

Last night's episode was practically anti-comedy and dick riding Rand Paul of all things.

The panel seemed pretty neutral to me actually. I wish they had shat on Paul more too, but given that Larry was more negative about him at the top of the show, I can understand why they didn't.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

IRQ posted:

Yeah, holy poo poo at that, especially considering that Rand Paul has literally gone on record saying he would vote against the Civil Rights Act if he had the opportunity.
It seems weird that Larry established himself as the "black issues" guy before TNS started, and then the show comes on and he can't get beyond surface level analysis.

Despite that, at least they've made the show flow a bit better, extending the first two segments and keeping the parlor games to a minimum.

raditts fucked around with this message at 20:30 on Apr 9, 2015

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Majorian posted:

The panel seemed pretty neutral to me actually. I wish they had shat on Paul more too, but given that Larry was more negative about him at the top of the show, I can understand why they didn't.

But what he was trying to joke about was just so unfunny and dumb. Mocking Rand Paul for saying "I'm putting myself forth" was completely inane, that's a perfectly normal thing to say in that situation.

Kabanaw
Jan 27, 2012

The real Pokemon begins here

raditts posted:

Yeah, holy poo poo at that, especially considering that Rand Paul has literally gone on record saying he would vote against the Civil Rights Act if he had the opportunity.
It seems weird that Larry established himself as the "black issues" guy before TNS started, and then the show comes on and he can't get beyond surface level analysis.

Despite that, at least they've made the show flow a bit better, extending the first two segments and keeping the parlor games to a minimum.

Considering the original name for the show was "The Minority Report" I was expecting it to be much less bland and 'truth is in the middle'-y than it ended up being.

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Echo Chamber posted:

That was a strong TDS episode last night. We had Stewart ripping bad journalism; than a depressing but hilarious Sam Bee bit, a cathartic rip on Rahm, and a guest who always has interesting things to say.

I'm not as big a Rand Paul hater as most people, but Larry's panel does seem needlessly sympathetic towards him. Yes, there are plenty of libertarians who are pro-choice and pro-gay rights; but it is absolutely foolish to believe those who aren't are "secretly" still are; but that's the impression I get from the panel. Especially when you consider how the Pauls' libertarianism has a stronger paleocon bent to it. Maybe Bernie just sympathizes for Rand a little from being a quasi-outsider.

Sanders was probably being polite because he still has to work with the guy in the Senate, and there are a few cases where their views have aligned (in Paul's case it's "broken clock" but you take what you can get).

ROCK THE HOUSE M.D.
Oct 9, 2003

I've got a case of malt liquor stashed in the trunk, Mr. Marvin Gaye on the CD. We are gonna get all the way down.

Another obnoxious laugher in the crowd tonight.

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

So what do you want to be called?

ROCK THE HOUSE M.D. posted:

I'm fairly convinced these obnoxious laughs are coming from retards who want to watch the show with their friends later and say "yep, that screeching in the background is me!"

Winkie01
Nov 28, 2004
lol sea world ad just after they had that dude on a week or two ago.

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

These extended spandex bits are painful. No amount of ironic self-awareness at the obvious joke setup and bad delivery can excuse it.

Edit: the spit take gags, too.

Neeksy fucked around with this message at 04:40 on Apr 10, 2015

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

This is some real grandpa chat here where these guys have never heard of online classes that aren't University of Phoenix or some diploma mill.

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Larry doesn't know how fermentation works nor what semiotics means.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

ROCK THE HOUSE M.D. posted:

Usually it doesn't bother me and I only notice after the fact, but this one was bad.

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

I'm a day or more behind but this 'that state is cray' theme song is the worst most awful repeating two seconds on tv ever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Winkie01 posted:

lol sea world ad just after they had that dude on a week or two ago.

If Sea World and Koch Industries want to waste money on ads that the vast majority of people miss because they watch the webcast or DVR it and fast-forward through the ads, more power to them.

• Locked thread