Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

Ytlaya posted:

^^^ If that's the case, why is he forced to transform back when he runs out of his One for All power? It seems like his muscular form is pretty clearly tied with his use of One for All.

I have absolutely no clue how this next fight is going to work. So far we've only seen Midoriya use his power once without destroying himself, and that was just to cause some wind to push Todoroki's arm out of the way. I can't think of how he's going to prevent Todoroki from just encasing him in ice like in Todoroki's first match. If he uses his power to bust out of the ice and it destroys him like we've seen in the past, that means the fight's over (which I doubt will happen), but if he uses it to bust out and is still okay it will basically mean that Midoriya is suddenly a huge badass.

I'm guessing he'll use his super strength/speed in some unique/gimmicky sort of way that causes a problem for Todoroki. I doubt that he'll suddenly be able to freely use the power in this next fight, but it seems like he has to at least partially overcome it in order to have a fight at all.

edit: If I had to guess, I think Midoriya will probably lose. Can't explain exactly why, but it just doesn't seem like it's where the narrative is headed.

I'm thinking that he will use it indirectly, with wind blasts. For one, he's less likely to turn Todoroki to pudding. For another, it's probably the best way to handle him since you don't want to touch a guy with crazy-strong ice (and fire) powers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
I don't really see how he can win without suddenly being able to use just enough power to not maim himself, on every part of his body.

I mean they could go with the gimmick being that he keeps hurting himself every fight and progressively gets more and more exhausted being healed over and over again but one of the commentators is the guy who basically said he'd expel him if he kept blowing his limbs to pieces.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Midoriya's poo poo talking Endeavor means he will win this fight. I have minimal logic behind it but it will happen now and it's gonna be awesome.

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

ZepiaEltnamOberon posted:

Midoriya will punch the ground and use a block of concrete to block Torodoki's ice.

He will then use it as a battering ram / shield and run at Torodoki to no avail.

Don't steal Cement's gimmick :negative:

Mr. Fowl posted:

I'm thinking that he will use it indirectly, with wind blasts. For one, he's less likely to turn Todoroki to pudding. For another, it's probably the best way to handle him since you don't want to touch a guy with crazy-strong ice (and fire) powers.

Todoroki is forced to use his fire powers, and Deku blows them out with the wind blast. I see this happening 100%

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

Deku can just shatter the ice with a muscle twitch like any good strongman hero. Then hurl chunks of it back at icy/hot

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

TIME TO ROC N' ROLL
In the unlikely event that Midoriya manages to transform in some way he would also be able to use that and the accompanying steam to help deal with ice.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

AtomikKrab posted:

Deku can just shatter the ice with a muscle twitch like any good strongman hero. Then hurl chunks of it back at icy/hot

kinda hoping for something like this

only not like...from a bad manga

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

Cipher Pol 9 posted:

Midoriya's poo poo talking Endeavor means he will win this fight. I have minimal logic behind it but it will happen now and it's gonna be awesome.

Hes going to win the fight because this is a tournament arc, and the main character is only allowed to lose in the finals.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.

Meme Emulator posted:

Hes going to win the fight because this is a tournament arc, and the main character is only allowed to lose in the finals.

What about Pokemon?

Quincytbb
Oct 8, 2014

:laugh:

Mraagvpeine posted:

What about Pokemon?

That's different, Ash isn't allowed to win anything because that means that he would have finally achieved his dream and no longer has to be a forever preteen Sisyphus always getting so close to the top of the hill but having to start over again and again every time a new game comes out.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

Quincytbb posted:

That's different, Ash isn't allowed to win anything because that means that he would have finally achieved his dream and no longer has to be a forever preteen Sisyphus always getting so close to the top of the hill but having to start over again and again every time a new game comes out.

He won in the Orange League, though. I think.

Not that anyone gives a poo poo about that.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Chinese scans are out for the weakminded like me who can't avoid spoilers.

holky poo poo

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

Fabricated posted:

holky poo poo

I won't be able to check for like 20 minutes :gonk:

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

TIME TO ROC N' ROLL
Gah I haven't been this tempted by spoilers since Shabondy Archipelago in One Piece. Why must you tempt me Fabricated?!

Buzzsaw Roomba
Feb 14, 2012

Christ, what an asshole.

Fabricated posted:

holky poo poo

This is the one series for which I can't wait for English scans.

holky poo poo indeed

an_mutt
Sep 29, 2010

I was,
I am,
and I remain a soldier!

Sworn to dedicate my heart and soul to the restoration of human kind!

This is the first time in years I've sought out spoilers for a series and jesus christ. It was worth it.

Hopeford
Oct 15, 2010

Eh, why not?
I just need to join the "holy poo poo" crowd and add my own "holy poo poo" to it. This chapter got me marking out like a little kid.

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Hej min vän, hur står det till?
I really hope that "Smaaaaaash" panel is a Mother-series reference.

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Moving at the speed of death.

Are the Chinese scans found in the regular places? I'm gonna make an exception and hope the pages mostly explain themselves.

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this

Mindblast posted:

Are the Chinese scans found in the regular places? I'm gonna make an exception and hope the pages mostly explain themselves.
I'd say they do. And yes.

Neeksy posted:

I really hope that "Smaaaaaash" panel is a Mother-series reference.
He's been using Smash for ages dude. (And p sure it's not)

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011
poo poo, if Deku is getting hosed up like that I think he might have to opt out of the rest of the tournament because his arms are hamburger meat. Didn't doctor granny say he gets injured too severely with such frequency that she can't just patch him up in a instant anymore?

Caidin fucked around with this message at 07:40 on Apr 11, 2015

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

Can someone provide a link to the chinese version or is this taboo for some reason?

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011

NecroMonster posted:

Can someone provide a link to the chinese version or is this taboo for some reason?

http://www.mangamint.com/boku-no-hero-academia-38

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Caidin posted:

poo poo, if Deku is getting hosed up like that I think he might have to opt out of the rest of the tournament because his arms are hamburger meat. Didn't doctor granny say he gets injured too severely with such frequency that she can't just patch him up in a instant anymore?

Dude come on, the chapter isn't even translated yet.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

RatHat posted:

Dude come on, the chapter isn't even translated yet.

No kidding; I was checking this thread in the hopes of a translation, and instead walked right into some pretty major spoilers there. The hell.

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

Thanks!

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011

Roland Jones posted:

No kidding; I was checking this thread in the hopes of a translation, and instead walked right into some pretty major spoilers there. The hell.

Sorry, insomnia has me a bit scrambled.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
I'm not entirely sure how that's a spoiler. I kinda expected something like that to happen to be honest.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Guys, one of the two dudes in the 1-on-1 battle is hurting! In a shounen manga! That surely means he will lose.

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
New Existing chapter - http://www.mangareader.net/boku-no-hero-academia/38

EDIT: I didn't see that it'd already been linked in the posts above.

JosephWongKS fucked around with this message at 02:09 on Apr 13, 2015

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
Chapter is up for those looking to finally get to it. Good chapter, though not nearly as good as I was expecting given the way folks were losing their minds for a few posts. Still, Deku continues to be awesome and Kacchan continues to be a lovable prick so all's right with the world. Next chapter should be great too. Also, the fact that even Deku is calling Todoroki out for not using his powers and half-assing things when everyone else is trying so hard basically guarantees Deku is going to win this one.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

edit: ^^^ Or he could win because of Todoroki not using his powers I guess; I just got the feeling that he wasn't going to let Todoroki win without using all his powers, so it wouldn't be inconsistent if Todoroki manages to win after using all of his ability. The main reason I can't see Deku winning is that he just doesn't have much ammunition left. He's already double-spent one hand and I think he's used his other hand and/or arm as well.

Yeah, I'm pretty sure Deku isn't winning this. He's probably going to just succeed in forcing Todoroki to use his fire ability.

Given that he's apparently more than willing to injure himself in this fight, I'm wondering why Deku didn't sacrifice a leg just to more or less instantly close the distance between him and Todoroki.

edi2: The one reason why I wouldn't be that satisfied with Deku losing here is that he hasn't really shown off that much for the audience/"hero world." Sure, he's shown a lot of power, but he's also crippled himself in the process nearly every time and the audience isn't privy to the information that it's possible for him to exert such power without crippling himself. While I can't really see it happening, it seems like he would need to show the ability to use his All-Might-ish power without sacrificing himself in the process to really leave a big impression on the hero community.

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 02:25 on Apr 13, 2015

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Ytlaya posted:

Yeah, I'm pretty sure Deku isn't winning this. He's probably going to just succeed in forcing Todoroki to use his fire ability.

Given that he's apparently more than willing to injure himself in this fight, I'm wondering why Deku didn't sacrifice a leg just to more or less instantly close the distance between him and Todoroki.

Because if it fails he loses his mobility and is screwed. If he uses a leg it's gonna be a last resort.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
I want to see him use his tongue as a last resort surprise attack. Or go all One Piece/Ivankov and do a "Death Wink" attack.

Ytlaya posted:

edit: ^^^ Or he could win because of Todoroki not using his powers I guess; I just got the feeling that he wasn't going to let Todoroki win without using all his powers, so it wouldn't be inconsistent if Todoroki manages to win after using all of his ability. The main reason I can't see Deku winning is that he just doesn't have much ammunition left. He's already double-spent one hand and I think he's used his other hand and/or arm as well.

I'd find it more unsatisfying if Todoroki won, because it's essentially rewarding his stubborn nature and punishing Deku's insight and determination. Sure, shonen is full of characters winning after a sudden realization, but they're normally the main character and it usually comes off badly regardless. Deku putting in all that just to lose while the guy who finally started to use his full strength won would be bad to me.

It just makes more sense to me given the set up that Deku will win because even ignoring that one of them is the main character there's really no-where further for Todoroki to go at the moment than realizing he can't reach the top half assing things where Deku has to keep plugging and training (and is) to gain control of his powers and has a much more pure desire to win, both to prove his worth to his mentor and to himself.

Also, he can get healed by the nurse between rounds as far as I'm aware and while it might tire him he could still keep trucking regardless.

Ytlaya posted:

edi2: The one reason why I wouldn't be that satisfied with Deku losing here is that he hasn't really shown off that much for the audience/"hero world." Sure, he's shown a lot of power, but he's also crippled himself in the process nearly every time and the audience isn't privy to the information that it's possible for him to exert such power without crippling himself. While I can't really see it happening, it seems like he would need to show the ability to use his All-Might-ish power without sacrificing himself in the process to really leave a big impression on the hero community.

I think his determination would leave a good impression regardless of what the cost was frankly.

tsob fucked around with this message at 02:37 on Apr 13, 2015

Zeruel
Mar 27, 2010

Alert: bad post spotted.
The doctor got it wrong, Deku's natural quirk are his Balls of loving Steel, holy poo poo.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
Deku's still got a good kick and a headbutt to his name, but even without falling back on his full power I can't see Todoroki giving him the chance.

I will say this is a conversation ("You're not your father!") I wasn't expecting to happen for a long time.

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

I can't wait for Deku to do a headbutt and make his skull explode, revealing the manly chiseled face of the next All Might.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

Green Intern posted:

I can't wait for Deku to do a headbutt and make his skull explode, revealing the manly chiseled face of the next All Might.

Like gray-eyed Athena from the head of Zeus!!!

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
Deku's going to pull out super human loogies to win. And find that the kickback damage to himself is minor because of reasons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Deku is going to cry super tears.

His tears will melt Torodoki's ice and drown out Torodoki's fires.

Water > Ice and Water > Fire

Pokemon had it all wrong.