Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

A Winner is Jew posted:

gently caress it, competitive shooting should be a possible sport for all HS students in the nation to participate in. Target, trap, long range, pistol, and for those in with snow biathlon in the winter months.

I shot rifle competitively in high school. It was dope as hell. We had a range and an armory in the rotc area.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

JT Jag posted:

Also all of the guns you get after passing the test at 17 are ID-locked. Because it's your gun and no one else's.

No, there's one gun and everyone gets it for a day.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!

A Winner is Jew posted:

I strongly agree with this.

They don't need range time but they should absolutely know how loving serious you need to be with safety around firearms.
yep. Maybe bring it back as "Home Ec" or something but there really needs to be a class on basic life skills, like firearm safety, how taxes work and how to pay them, credit, budgeting and investing, first aid, how to fight a fire, basic nutrition and health, and the like. Maybe shove drivers Ed and sex Ed under that umbrella as well, and the stuff from science class about "what wire does what and which ones not to touch", "this is how plumbing works, this is how you do simple repairs", and "this is how an engine works, this is how you do simple repairs". Yes this is stuff that parents are supposed to teach, and extracurricular a like scouting cover, but clearly that isn't getting to large swaths of the population.

Of course while I'm wishing and hoping I want a course that would teach people the theories of human rights, the standard of human rights, how declarations of rights are interpreted, the limits of rights, resolving conflicts of rights, what are war crimes and what are crimes against humanity. It probably won't cut down on people being lovely to each other but at least then we won't have to hear "bwah gawd dats ma right!" while they are being lovely. See also: Area Man Passionate Defender Of What He Imagines Constitution To Be

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

greatn posted:

No, there's one gun and everyone gets it for a day.

Lord Stanley's Remington?

Max
Nov 30, 2002

a shameful boehner posted:

Someone last month said that this is eventually going to result in all sorts of fun phrases like "atmospheric weirdening" when they can't use the words "climate change" anymore.

This, like Florida's ban, is such an absurd approach to the issue.

LALALALA CAN'T HEAR YOU *sticks fingers in ears* LALALALALA *water bubbles up over mouth and head* *forest burns down*

I know I'm pulling a Godwin here, but in Brecht's series of short plays "Fear and Misery of the Third Reich" there is a piece called 'The Physicists' wherein two german physicists discuss how difficult it now is to solve anything because all findings and theorems made by Jews are now categorically banned by the Nazi Party. You can imagine why this would be an issue when you suddenly can't use anything by Einstein as a scientist, especially in the 30's.

This was written almost 80 years ago.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

Fried Chicken posted:

yep. Maybe bring it back as "Home Ec" or something but there really needs to be a class on basic life skills, like firearm safety, how taxes work and how to pay them, credit, budgeting and investing, first aid, how to fight a fire, basic nutrition and health, and the like. Maybe shove drivers Ed and sex Ed under that umbrella as well, and the stuff from science class about "what wire does what and which ones not to touch", "this is how plumbing works, this is how you do simple repairs", and "this is how an engine works, this is how you do simple repairs". Yes this is stuff that parents are supposed to teach, and extracurricular a like scouting cover, but clearly that isn't getting to large swaths of the population.
Life Survival Class should be a central part of a high school's curriculum and there should be Freshman, Sophomore, Junior and Senior level classes, each one a required pass to graduate.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

chitoryu12 posted:

*coughRemingtonR51cough*

Went back into production in January

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

But wait a minute. If there's one gun, how is anyone supposed to stop the guy with it if he's a bad guy? :confused:

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

a shameful boehner posted:

Someone last month said that this is eventually going to result in all sorts of fun phrases like "atmospheric weirdening" when they can't use the words "climate change" anymore.

This, like Florida's ban, is such an absurd approach to the issue.
I thought climate reemployment was a good one.

Ron Jeremy posted:

I shot rifle competitively in high school. It was dope as hell. We had a range and an armory in the rotc area.
Or school district's riflery program got cut back to just air rifles. Fun, but you don't get any actual firearms training.

Plus it was admittedly really niche. No one ever came out for it.

Fried Chicken posted:

Of course while I'm wishing and hoping I want a course that would teach people the theories of human rights, the standard of human rights, how declarations of rights are interpreted, the limits of rights, resolving conflicts of rights, what are war crimes and what are crimes against humanity. It probably won't cut down on people being lovely to each other but at least then we won't have to hear "bwah gawd dats ma right!" while they are being lovely. See also: Area Man Passionate Defender Of What He Imagines Constitution To Be
As someone who was too stupid never to take home ec while it was still available it middle school (i believe it was defunded and gotten rid of here) i would like your version of the class to be mandatory as well.

As to the second part, that was put off to a senior/grad level course at my uni offered only once...ever.

site fucked around with this message at 21:41 on Apr 8, 2015

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

Luigi Thirty posted:

But wait a minute. If there's one gun, how is anyone supposed to stop the guy with it if he's a bad guy? :confused:
Obvious solution: there's two guns, and they're always given to people who publicly hate one another, in order to avoid a gun monopoly

This can't possibly go wrong

Robviously
Aug 21, 2010

Genius. Billionaire. Playboy. Philanthropist.

Sir Tonk posted:

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2015-04-08/for-some-wisconsin-state-workers-climate-change-isn-t-something-you-can-talk-about

:psyduck:

Is this seriously the marching orders that the GOP govs got? The only strategy they have left is just "don't talk about it"? Florida has been getting clowned by the media for weeks now, this can't possibly be a worthwhile plan for more than a few months.

Don't Ask, Don't Tell. That worked before and now we don't have any more gays. :downs:

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Luigi Thirty posted:

There also just one bullet.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

JT Jag posted:

Life Survival Class should be a central part of a high school's curriculum and there should be Freshman, Sophomore, Junior and Senior level classes, each one a required pass to graduate.

Which course gets cut?

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

JT Jag posted:

You are probably taking the piss but I'm serious. Like the general stuff from scouting or the non-military training classes from boot camp covered this kind of stuff, so it can be cut down to teach in a small classroom in a few weeks, stick it in generalize public education. How many people electrocute themselves a year because they don't know what they are doing? How many fires could easily be put out if people knew the different types and how to handle them? Or just the basic rules of finance and budgeting so people don't get scammed?

Like this stuff apparently used to be what Home Ec was based around before it got swamped by other things and then cut from the curriculum. Bring it back. There is certain stuff you need to know as an adult.

Stultus Maximus posted:

Which course gets cut?

If I'm wishing and pissing here, school year and school day need to be longer anyways, so time from there. If that won't fly, study hall.

Fried Chicken fucked around with this message at 21:42 on Apr 8, 2015

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

Stultus Maximus posted:

Which course gets cut?
All of the hard sciences become elective beyond a mandatory Freshman general knowledge course

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Bikeqhatevwr.

Who needs a bike when you've got a truck, anyway?

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Stultus Maximus posted:

Which course gets cut?

Art duh. I use my gun everyday to make myself feel manly I never use any art.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Cut the freshman course cuz they won't care anyways. At least sophomores will show for the driver's ed.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

Fried Chicken posted:

That has been the position of the left since there was a left. Don't confuse "modern Democratic Party of the United States" with "the left"

For a brief overview I'd say go read Zinn or any coverage of the Civil Rights movement that doesn't completely whitewash it. If your ideals are engraved by the concept of giving power to the powerless a big part of that is supporting arms. It isn't at all inconsistent with "gently caress everything that ends in murder and children crying" to want the oppressed to come to the negotiating table with their own strength.

I think you're only talking about one particular branch of what we now today call the left. Viewing guns through the technocratic progressivism from the early 20th Century, I think you would find a different answer. Guns aren't some holy ideal, but activity that can and should be regulated for the greater public interest.

I loathe guns. The very sight of them I find sickening. But even I would be alright with a compromise allowing for the ownership of handguns and rifles, as long as there are attendant policies meant to emphasis safety for gun owners and people around gun owners, background checks, ballistic IDing, gun storage laws and the like. Like any other significant activity. Oh, and the ability for localities and municipalites to create those regulations, something virtually done away with due to NRA lobbying.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

JT Jag posted:

All of the hard sciences become elective beyond a mandatory Freshman general knowledge course

My high school only required 3 years of math and 3 years of science, which is insane, but the 4th year versions of both were poo poo anyways so :iiam:

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Stultus Maximus posted:

Which course gets cut?

Math classes that dont allow calculators.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Barudak posted:

I too use survival skills more often I do math in my head.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

site posted:

Cut the freshman course cuz they won't care anyways. At least sophomores will show for the driver's ed.
If we're gonna give make most of the serious academic courses elective but with a mandatory Freshman-level course (your Algebra, basic biology, stuff that assures you're basically literate in the subject. If you pass the equivalent of an AP test you could test out of these and into a higher-level course to start) than yeah Life Survival would probably only start in Sophomore Year.

Basically my idea of high school is to college-ify it. Make more courses elective, make it so that you have to finish a specific 'degree path' within four years so that you have an in-depth knowledge of some specific subject rather than a mediocre knowledge of several.

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

JT Jag posted:

And if we did this we could get ride of the bullshit economics (which teaches nothing) and government (which is just another US history class) classes you typical take senior year. 8 total semesters with each covering fist aid and sex ed, nutrition, car repair and drivers ED, personal finance, home repair with the basics of a mortgage & rental agreement, firearm safety and qualification also you get registered for selective service in class, US constitution rights and voting, and finally human rights and war crimes.

e: No classes get cut and the school day for high school gets extended by 1 class.

A Winner is Jew fucked around with this message at 21:50 on Apr 8, 2015

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

A Winner is Jew posted:

And if we did this we could get ride of the bullshit economics (which teaches nothing) and government (which is just another US history class) classes you typical take senior year. 8 total semesters with each covering fist aid and sex ed, nutrition, car repair and drivers ED, personal finance, home repair with the basics of a mortgage & rental agreement, firearm safety and qualification also you get registered for selective service in class, US constitution rights and voting, and finally human rights and war crimes.

Yes I'm sure if Americans had fewer opportunities to learn about the political process, that would go well for the nation. But make sure they know how to file the forms to put themselves in massive debt!

Ralepozozaxe
Sep 6, 2010

A Veritable Smorgasbord!

Stultus Maximus posted:

Which course gets cut?

History, which is now being taught by the gun instructor alongside gun stuff (no regulations on what history they teach of course).

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

A Winner is Jew posted:

human rights and war crimes.
Even though I agree with the sentiment lmao at this being a required high school course.

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

Trabisnikof posted:

Yes I'm sure if Americans had fewer opportunities to learn about the political process, that would go well for the nation. But make sure they know how to file the forms to put themselves in massive debt!

Just make them pass the civics test immigrants have to pass.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Government class is vital as long as we allow any random citizen to vote once they turn 18 regardless of their education and with no need to pass a knowledge exam to vote. However, I can attest that my own school's economics class was practically worthless. It focused more on teaching the theories of economics and the stock market more than teaching the soon-to-be adults how to handle their finances. I came out of that class knowing the difference between bull and bear but not knowing how to open a bank account or what a mortgage was, and no idea how to file taxes.

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

site posted:

Even though I agree with the sentiment lmao at this being a required high school course.

Think of it as training for future marines. :henget:

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

A Winner is Jew posted:

e: No classes get cut and the school day for high school gets extended by 1 class.
Shrink Summer Break down to two weeks, extend semesters, keep the length of the school day short.

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

JT Jag posted:

Shrink Summer Break down to two weeks, extend semesters, keep the length of the school day short.

Nahh. If you take a sport in HS your day would basically begin at 7:45 or whenever it starts now until like 5:00 pm. You're gona be working those hours soon anyway.

Trabisnikof posted:

My government class was totally useless since it was just another history class, but if anything it just gets re-branded as the "US constitution rights and voting" class.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

A Winner is Jew posted:

Nahh. If you take a sport in HS your day would basically begin at 7:45 or whenever it starts now until like 5:00 pm. You're gona be working those hours soon anyway.
Summer break is great when you're a kid, but it honestly is academically harmful. You forget so much poo poo when you aren't in class for several months.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

JT Jag posted:

Indeed. The Republic has no need of scientists.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

Barudak posted:

So basically all of them beyond like precal?

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

Stultus Maximus posted:

Indeed. The Republic has no need of scientists.

JT Jag posted:

Basically my idea of high school is to college-ify it. Make more courses elective, make it so that you have to finish a specific 'degree path' within four years so that you have an in-depth knowledge of some specific subject rather than a mediocre knowledge of several.
if you like your science class, you can keep your science class, have your high school experience specifically tailored to make you better at science, and graduate with a degree that says you are good at science. And if you don't like science, gently caress it.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Stultus Maximus posted:

Which course gets cut?

I would honestly cut low-level computer classes. Higher-level CS can stay (though I've only ever heard of rich white suburban schools offering it) but the vast majority of people nowadays are semi-computer-literate and you could very easily roll a basic "how to use Microsoft Office" (which is all those classes ever were in my experience, just dragged out and repeated for a year) into that life survival class.

Also, cut PE and make some extracurricular sport mandatory instead. Allow martial arts outside the school and simply working out 3x a week under supervision after school (possibly alongside the athletes, even) to count as well. PE was also utterly useless at its intended purpose in my experience; weight training and actual cardio would have done a whole lot more for me than kickball and walking on a track.

WeedlordGoku69 fucked around with this message at 22:12 on Apr 8, 2015

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

JT Jag posted:

if you like your science class, you can keep your science class, have your high school experience specifically tailored to make you better at science, and graduate with a degree that says you are good at science. And if you don't like science, gently caress it.

I sort of agree with this, but make the options super limited to only Language, History, Math, or Science. Art is missing from that list since while I do think it's super important that poo poo is for college or free time.

LORD OF BUTT posted:

Also, cut PE and make some extracurricular sport mandatory instead. Allow martial arts outside the school and simply working out 3x a week under supervision (possibly alongside the athletes, even) to count as well. PE was also utterly useless at its intended purpose in my experience; weight training and actual cardio would have done a whole lot more for me than kickball and walking on a track.

Holy poo poo this.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Here's what Senator Chuck Grassley did today.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Joementum posted:

Here's what Senator Chuck Grassley did today.

National hobo convention huh? That's gotta smell great.

• Locked thread