Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
gvibes
Jan 18, 2010

Leading us to the promised land (i.e., one tournament win in five years)

Not a Children posted:

Please defer to Ruddha's wisdom on horses if you are considering riding, owning, or being near one
And some other tidbits from that thread:

Aleph Null posted:

My dad had a horse fall in a hole and almost die. They had to use a truck wench to get her out. She was too weak to walk so they tied ropes between two trees to hold her up. It took days of them hand feeding her before she could stand or walk on her own.

Less than a month later, she fell in the same hole and died.

Baronjutter posted:

As someone who grew up with a couple friends into horses and loving dressage I can say that if anything you are being way too easy going on them. Its like their survival strategy is to break their legs or kill them selves at the slightest sign of danger, or a noise, or a change in humidity.

My friends barn had to install a big fence because they were next to a turkey farm and despite the horses seeing these birds every single loving day, any time you'd ride past them most of the horses would briefly flip out and hurt them selves or throw their rider when the turkeys came into view. You could literally ride in a loop for an hour and every single time the horse would "scare" at the turkeys.

Maybe wilder horses are smarter but dressage horses are more fragile and stupid than a baby that just learned to crawl. They will jump onto fences and cut them selves in half, they will get stuck between buildings, they will randomly for no reason at all break their legs. If there is a way to kill or hurt them selves they will find it. And people drop 50k or more on these idiots.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you
Horsechat is the best derail, I'm learning a lot here.

I vaguely remember having horses growing up and can't remember them doing anything too dumb, but then again we just kept them in a field and they didn't have much opportunity to see any kind of new stimulus.

Blue_monday
Jan 9, 2004

mind the teeth while you're going down

Nail Rat posted:

The 250 includes the 130

whoops. I totally misread that.

Horse chat has me in absolute stitches. I've known plenty of 'horse people' in my lifetime and the sane ones were few and far between. Lets go ahead and drop the price of a car on a saddle.

xie
Jul 29, 2004

I GET UPSET WHEN PEOPLE SPEND THEIR MONEY ON WASTEFUL THINGS THAT I DONT APPROVE OF :capitalism:
Friend of mine didn't pay her cooking gas bill for a year because she never called and set up the account with the gas co. She magically thought that it was included in her rent since nobody ever asked her about it.

They shut off her gas and she was livid, then freaking out because she couldn't afford the arrears for an entire year at once. She told me she can't make ends meet, she just needs "a few hundred more a month" - and I reminded her that whatever she was doing was without at least one bill she should have been paying.

Turns out the amount she owed was only $200, but she still needs to put it on a payment plan because she doesn't have that much cash "just laying around." Also she has Credit Card Debt and has for years. I offered to help her re-do her budget and she said "there's nothing else I can cut."

The next day she texted me: "I'd go yell at the guy at the gas company who was a dick, but I really want McDonalds for lunch."

Badddddd with money. I love her as a person but she's permanently bad with money, this is how she lives and how she's lived for years. She lives in the NYC area (but not Manhattan) and AFAIK is clearing 55-60k pre-tax, possibly a bit more with her freelance work.

edit: Also someone find the horse post about where they cut them open and shove everything back in and it magically sometimes works?

rdb
Jul 8, 2002
chicken mctesticles?
I have 3 horses, including a thoroughbred (from a retired race horse rescue) that my wife is training for dressage. They aren't that bad, ours cost about $170 last month in feed/hay. They graze on our own pasture and shelter in a run-in. The farrier is an Amish guy who charges $30 to trim/reset shoes, and wife's parents are both large animal vets so that helps... Not that we do anything that requires a vet other than the occasional coggins test. Horses can be expensive if you want them to be, but cheap if you have the space already available. I think wealthy, overprotective and bored people put way more effort into them than they need.

I agree with all the sentiments about them being stupid and flighty. Even my old Percheron who would not move without being hit with a whip was scared of a random round hay bale and tried to buck me off.

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos
Horses evolved to live on a flat plain surrounded by nothing with visibility of 2km. They are pretty much the worst thing to have in an urban environment.

Also if you don't clean out their smegma they die.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
Bad With Money: If you don't clean out their smegma they die

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

Suddenly, the US Marine Corp's plan to build a robo-horse to carry stuff makes sense. Although I'd still consider it to be Bad with (taxpayer) Money.

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos
For most animals basic bodily functions are fairy reliable, however the intestinal peristalsis of horses will on occasion gently caress up causing their guts to randomly contort leading them to starve and die.

pig slut lisa
Mar 5, 2012

irl is good

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

Bad With Money: If you don't clean out their smegma they die

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

You guys aren't going to believe this, but that guy is our games teacher.
More /r/personalfinance. This time our intrepid redditor invests his entire savings for his tax bill into an "aggressive" fund strategy with a roboadvisor and is shocked when it loses money!

Made a huge mistake , but a cosmic power bailed me out. Lesson learned. Do not invest money you need in < 1 year. posted:

Last year, i knew i would probably owe about 40k in taxes. So i set aside that 40k in a "high yield" savings account. And did all my investing things around that money. However in August, i suffered about of insanity... and "realized" hey this money is earning jack poo poo. Let me put 40k into this "Aggresive" wealthfront account (my other Wealthfront account has been performing nicely).

I completely forgot my rationale for having that money set aside in a savings account. Anyway. August was THE worst time to go all into one investment. It went down from day one and never recovered.
at one point the account was down to 29k$. Holy crap did i feel bad. Anyway, the market ebbs and flows ups and downs. It gets back to within -3k... then back down to -7 or -8k. hovering in that range the entire time. Everytime it got to within -3k$ i thought, i should just sell it. lock it in right now... 3,000$ is a small price to pay for this lesson. But like a gambler with the fever, i kept thinking.. well maybe tomorrow.

Well Febuary turned to march... tax day was fast approaching, and march was turning into april.. I knew that the last possible day i could sell, settle and transfer money back to my bank account would be April 6th to be safe. last week. the market crept up .. little by little... on thursday i ended at $38.5k ... so about -1500$. At that point the highest point the account has been at since august.. i should have liquidated. but i had till monday!! hahah... man what a nerve wracking weekend it was. i didnt sleep until 4 am on sunday and woke up at 7am (PST) to liquidate. I had to cash out monday good or bad.

Lo and behold the market was UP and my account was at 39,500$ (-500 loss only!!) i was so happy. but i was also so sleepy.. i put the withdraw order in and instantly fell back asleep. When i woke up 2 hours later, i saw in my email "please confirm your order by replying to this email" holy poo poo!!! i was certain that the market turned down by then.. but when i looked. my account was at 40,200$ i actually was in the green!!!!!!

i put the order in again , this time i made sure to confirm it. but then got an email said that "we got your order, we are evaluating it.. we will get back to you" . type of wording. i was thinking CRAP! now for sure the market will turn back down.....

finally a couple hours later i got the email that confirmed that my order excuted. and at that point my account was at 40,750$ the highest point EVER in its existence.

jee wiz. what a nightmare that was.

Thats investing folks. 8 months of bullshit.. and 1 day of glory.

and i can pay my taxes without feeling like a shithead

Fortunately for him his investment recovered and he ended up $750 ahead (only eight months of stress for ~2.8% APY before capital gains). He's probably not going to do this again:

quote:

[–]rvncto[S] 2 points an hour ago
thanks! :)

i was thinking the same thing about , the outcome dulling the impact of the lesson. but i will try to remember the last 8 months of that sick feeling.

Gorman Thomas
Jul 24, 2007
Oh my gooooood I just found out my coworker asked for a raise and promotion at his yearly review because "[He] doesn't want to fall behind on his car loan". This is a dude who decided to lease a $60k car on a $65k salary while still living at home. He's also a bit of an rear end in a top hat so I can only laugh and hope he gets sacked when our boss finds out he's only in the office maybe 15 hours/week.

BEHOLD: MY CAPE
Jan 11, 2004

Gorman Thomas posted:

Oh my gooooood I just found out my coworker asked for a raise and promotion at his yearly review because "[He] doesn't want to fall behind on his car loan". This is a dude who decided to lease a $60k car on a $65k salary while still living at home. He's also a bit of an rear end in a top hat so I can only laugh and hope he gets sacked when our boss finds out he's only in the office maybe 15 hours/week.

Well, that's dumb but he shouldn't have any trouble affording an $800 lease if he doesn't pay rent and takes home like $4000 a month

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
Oh man, completely agree re: horses being stupid beasts who die if you look at them funny. I have heard so many stories about horse ran through fence/got caught on a gate and guts ended up everywhere. We also had a horse with skin tumors all over (sarcoid lesions, gross blobby things), one that had a 12-inch pine stake embedded in his shoulder that he did recover from (never figured out how the gently caress that happened), several that crippled themselves running through fences, one that killed himself bashing his head against a wall...

My mother was one of those crazy city girls who was way into horses and my dad came from a sort of "gentleman farmer" family (3 generations of doctors who farmed on the side, but my dad forgot that the doctor part was how you afford that kind of thing and skipped med school) so they bought a little farm with enough land to keep some horses on right after getting married. My sisters and I grew up having our own ponies and of course had to get a horse once we were too old for the ponies, and spent pretty much every weekend traveling to shows to ride. It was all pretty casual though, no high-end equipment or show fees. The main reason it got really bad with money was my parents didn't know how to just have a few horses, so naturally they had to buy a stud and raise foals to sell them. That actually worked out pretty well for a while, until all the local horse people in their generation got too old for the stupid rodeo poo poo they all did when they were younger and their kids (including us) didn't care that much once we got old enough to have our own interests and quit riding, and eventually the horse market got so terrible that you couldn't pay someone to take one off your hands (i.e. once you couldn't sell them for dog food).

My parents did finally stop making new horses on purpose but it seemed like every couple of years the stud would get out with the mares and then whoops now we have 3 more horses to feed. At one point they had nearly 30, most of which weren't broke to ride or had papers or any sort of value whatsoever. They managed to give most of the youngest ones away and the ones that are left are too old to raise anymore and are just slowly dying off from age. They're only a few years away from being horse-free after nearly 40 years of it!

Everything Burrito fucked around with this message at 00:10 on Apr 9, 2015

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe

Everything Burrito posted:

My parents did finally stop making new horses on purpose but it seemed like every couple of years the stud would get out with the mares and then whoops now we have 3 more horses to feed. At one point they had nearly 30, most of which weren't broke to ride or had papers or any sort of value whatsoever. They managed to give most of the youngest ones away and the ones that are left are too old to raise anymore and are just slowly dying off from age. They're only a few years away from being horse-free after nearly 40 years of it!

It sounds like a horse mortgage (equity).

e: Mortgage burning parties aren't the thing anymore (and haven't been for some time). They should be brought back and be seen in a positive light.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mortgage_burning

Devian666 fucked around with this message at 00:43 on Apr 9, 2015

overdesigned
Apr 10, 2003

We are compassion...
Lipstick Apathy

Devian666 posted:

It sounds like a horse mortgage (equity).

e: Mortgage burning parties aren't the thing anymore (and haven't been for some time). They should be brought back and be seen in a positive light.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mortgage_burning

Wikipedia posted:

...throwing a party to celebrate is now generally considered gauche since the traditional paying off of a mortgage is no longer a standard rite of passage. It is now seen as bragging about one’s secure financial condition.

Sigh...

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib

Krispy Kareem posted:

There's House-Rich, Car-Rich, and then there's Horse-Rich. We do pretty good, but let's not kid ourselves. We'll never be Horse-Rich.

When I was in college, my roommate's best friend would go horse riding on weekends, and I thought she was renting a horse at a farm or something. Nope, it was her personal horse, which she brought with her from Seattle to Iowa. His name was Mickey.

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe

Yet people brag about their truck equity, boat equity and horse equity. It's ok to brag about those because they're all (secretly) financed.

Suspicious Lump
Mar 11, 2004

Pompous Rhombus posted:

I recently moved to Australia for the long haul, and I'm kind of in a similar situation. I haven't applied for any credit cards but since I'm currently unemployed (grad student) and on what is classified as a temporary visa it seems like I'm basically out of luck. I don't blame 'em considering how bad I look on paper (no money and a flight risk), but I have a high credit score back in the US and it's kinda lame to be starting at square one again.

I'm hoping I can partially backdoor my credit score over by getting a card in the US with a company that has operations over here, then telling them I've moved to Australia and seeing if I can get a local CC issued. (I've read about this as a viable workaround in Japan through AMEX, where foreigners face similar obstacles to getting credit cards.) No idea if it'll work or not, gonna try and take a stab at it over Easter break.

I know this is from pages ago, but in Australia there really isn't such thing as a credit score (yet, they might be bringing it in but nothing like the USA). You have a credit history but this includes anything from bills you're paying to income you're earning. You also dont need a credit card, go ask your bank for a debit card and go from there. debit cards work the same as a credit card (not as much insurance but can be used for online purchases).

District Selectman
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax

Not a Children posted:

Please defer to Ruddha's wisdom on horses if you are considering riding, owning, or being near one

I could read these all day, where is this thread?

Suspicious Lump
Mar 11, 2004

cowofwar posted:

Horses evolved to live on a flat plain surrounded by nothing with visibility of 2km. They are pretty much the worst thing to have in an urban environment.

Also if you don't clean out their smegma they die.
What the gently caress is this a joke?

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

District Selectman posted:

I could read these all day, where is this thread?

These actually came out of the old feminism thread in E/N

If you think this thread has long, lovely derails, well, I've got news for you....

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe

Suspicious Lump posted:

What the gently caress is this a joke?

The smegma thing? No. Quite often their dicks will block up with solid lumps of smegma. Manual removal fixes the problem and it results in a massive stream of piss going everywhere. If you can't piss you die.

Zool
Mar 21, 2005

The motard rap
for all my riders
at the track
Dirt hardpacked
corner workers better
step back

Suspicious Lump posted:

You also dont need a credit card, go ask your bank for a debit card and go from there. debit cards work the same as a credit card (not as much insurance but can be used for online purchases).

But with a debit card you need to actually have the money you want to spend. What if you want a new thing now, but don't have the money?

fiery_valkyrie
Mar 26, 2003

I'm proud of you, Bender. Sure, you lost. You lost bad. But the important thing is I beat up someone who hurt my feelings in high school.

Zool posted:

But with a debit card you need to actually have the money you want to spend. What if you want a new thing now, but don't have the money?

Blasphemy.

Skunkduster
Jul 15, 2005

Blue_monday posted:

Spending $250k seems a little on the steep side as it is, letting the contractor go $130k over budget is BWM.

I'm picturing this as the homeowner (Mr. Obvious and The Deck):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=azhxTygurlw

On an unrelated note, what is that website that is recommended in BFC for unfucking your finances and figuring out a budget?

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost
So while on the subject of horses, a good friend of mine lives with her dad and step mom. Her dad used to have a couple of horses and a mule or two that were mainly used for hunting, now they are down to just the single horse. They are moving to another town in the next few months, and my friend has been stuck with not only finding a place to move for herself, but somewhere to put the horse. She doesn't want to board the horse at a local stable for some reason, so instead of finding a affordable place to live which is hard enough here, she is trying the improbable to find an affordable place that can handle a horse.

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe

SkunkDuster posted:

On an unrelated note, what is that website that is recommended in BFC for unfucking your finances and figuring out a budget?

Start with the budget thread.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3549291

If you sort out your budget and discover you are seriously hosed and deep in debt with out of control spending then you make a thread.

Blinkman987
Jul 10, 2008

Gender roles guilt me into being fat.

Zool posted:

Thank you for reminding me of this:

http://www.nbc.com/saturday-night-live/video/dont-buy-stuff/n12020

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Devian666 posted:

The smegma thing? No. Quite often their dicks will block up with solid lumps of smegma. Manual removal fixes the problem and it results in a massive stream of piss going everywhere. If you can't piss you die.

I don't remember John Wayne doing this in any of his movies.

Rudager
Apr 29, 2008

Zool posted:

Yeah, but it's pretty great being able to buy everything on the internet without actually having a proper credit card.

I also thought if you use it through the "credit" function on it to use it like a credit card that it will give you most, if not all, of the same protections you would get with an ordinary credit card because I'm pretty sure the merchant gets hit with the mastercard/visa fee's and all that.

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe

spog posted:

I don't remember John Wayne doing this in any of his movies.

He was too short to reach the horse cock.

Grumpwagon
May 6, 2007
I am a giant assfuck who needs to harden the fuck up.

Wikipedia posted:

See also
Foreclosure

subx
Jan 12, 2003

If we hit that bullseye, the rest of the dominoes should fall like a house of cards. Checkmate.

Rudager posted:

Yeah, but it's pretty great being able to buy everything on the internet without actually having a proper credit card.

I also thought if you use it through the "credit" function on it to use it like a credit card that it will give you most, if not all, of the same protections you would get with an ordinary credit card because I'm pretty sure the merchant gets hit with the mastercard/visa fee's and all that.

You don't quite get the same protection because the money still comes out of your account. You may be able to recover it but you are not going to be able to access that money until you do. With a normal credit card, you don't spend any of your own money until you pay the monthly bill, so if you have a dispute your account may get frozen while they investigate, but you don't have to worry about your bank account going negative.

I've kind of gone sour on debit cards, I don't like the idea of someone getting my card/information and being able to make me miss a mortgage payment or whatever. I just have a rewards card I buy everything with and pay it off each month. Apparently that's not possible for some people, as they see 10,000 credit limit and immediately have to spend that much.

subx fucked around with this message at 13:03 on Apr 9, 2015

DJCobol
May 16, 2003

CALL OF DUTY! :rock:
Grimey Drawer

OneWhoKnows posted:

My wife just bought a horse. I thought when she said upkeep would be "like a car payment" she was kidding.

But think about all that horse equity!

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!
Equuity

Lady Gaza
Nov 20, 2008

Equinity

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.
Beaten: cause I was thinking about the 'e'

Equineity

MrKatharsis
Nov 29, 2003

feel the bern

Ohgodyes...

The feedthepig.org commercials are pretty funny. The new one with the lobster and hot air balloon instantly brought this thread to mind.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ploots
Mar 19, 2010
My parents used to have a pair of horses. Then one of the horses decided to panic about a stationary wheelbarrow it had seen dozens of times before, bucked my father off, and stepped on his head.

Dad is OK now and the horses are gone. Horses are stupid animals.

• Locked thread