Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Franks Happy Place posted:

1) Saudis need money to fund their war (and the concomitant social bribery campaign they will need to run in order to keep the domestic population happy, naturally)

2) Saudis need everyone else in the world to be as un-annoyed with them as possible right now. Why would they try to orchestrate an OPEC curtailment right when they need friends?

Neither of those two things are enough to, like, push them into high production, but they certainly lean against reducing consumption.

As for the effect this 'war' is having on oil prices, like I said a week ago, an Iranian nuclear deal is a WAY bigger positive than a Saudi safari in Yemen is a negative.

Most importantly OPEC was pretty much useless as a cartel given all the backstabbing and different goals for all the member nations. For example when the Saudi cut their production in the 80s, other OPEC nations increased their production contrary to the original agreement.

Basically the new energy commodity world will be at market rate prices given all the factors such as OPEC's failure to be a effective cartel and also how technology effectively reduces production costs over time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

If you can find a house for $700,000 in North Van you should buy it in a second. That's gotta be half a million off at least. My parents just sold their lovely townhouse with tens of thousands of special assessments due for close to $700k with a six person bidding war in less than 24 hours.

This is the cheapest house near me in North Van, $900,000 for 1,700 sq feet on a 50 foot lot. It will sell for more if it hasn't sold already. Only seven SFHs on the market in the whole area right now.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Reverse Centaur posted:

If you can find a house for $700,000 in North Van you should buy it in a second. That's gotta be half a million off at least. My parents just sold their lovely townhouse with tens of thousands of special assessments due for close to $700k with a six person bidding war in less than 24 hours.

Ha your parents are smart cashing out of the bubble.

Basically anyone with half a brain would sell their Vancouver cracks for big bucks and then invest the proceeds in index funds.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe

quote:

Q1 condo sales in #Ottawa weakest since at least 2004. Only 510 units sold, lower than 540 in Q1 2009, but inventory up 150% since then

https://twitter.com/BenRabidoux/status/585888631438487552

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

etalian posted:

Ha your parents are smart cashing out of the bubble.

Basically anyone with half a brain would sell their Vancouver cracks for big bucks and then invest the proceeds in index funds.

They were gonna move to Salt Spring Island, which is just as bubbly and relies on BC Ferries, which the BC Liberals seem to be intent on destroying, but backed out of a purchase after inspection - so now they're back to looking at north shore townhouses. They make terrible decisions - we moved from Vancouver to Auckland to Sydney and back to Vancouver at the worst possible time in history every time. My parents should be loaded after long careers in computer programming/accounting but are living solely off home equity as they enter their 70s.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Yeah my parents at one point owned 2 houses but during the lowest point in the 80's they sold the 2nd house (which was divided into 2 rentals). We'd have been legitimately wealthy if they had held onto that 2nd house. Their current house is worth 750-850ish and the 2nd house sold recently for about 650. Everyone told them not to sell but then panicked because the market was down.

Most of the old boomer family friends I've grown up with all have similar financial sense. Buy when everyone else is buying, sell when everyone else is selling. House flipping seems popular, lets get into that! lovely BC resource town going through a boom? Now's the time to buy because it will only keep going up! Or they don't even buy/sell based on making money, it's just based on whims. House feels too big and hard to look after so sell it and buy a condo. Hate your condo so buy a house again. Just, generally be really really bad with your money but blunder through because they are riding high on all the 90's to now equity they've gained, and good paying jobs. Then they go on about how the next generation's so bad with money and don't have the financial sense to buy a house.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

lol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s90QrUJBjJU

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
new CanCon rules should just require this be played once per hour every hour for eternity.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe

quote:

Understatement--> Days of most Winnipeg homes selling above list price are over http://www.cbc.ca/1.3024857

https://twitter.com/BenRabidoux/status/585905957365919744

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
So Regina, Ottawa and Winnipeg housing markets are cratering. lol

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Pretty much figures that real estate close to oil bubble or in the more rural provinces would be the first to go.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Baronjutter posted:

Yeah my parents at one point owned 2 houses but during the lowest point in the 80's they sold the 2nd house (which was divided into 2 rentals). We'd have been legitimately wealthy if they had held onto that 2nd house. Their current house is worth 750-850ish and the 2nd house sold recently for about 650. Everyone told them not to sell but then panicked because the market was down.

Most of the old boomer family friends I've grown up with all have similar financial sense. Buy when everyone else is buying, sell when everyone else is selling. House flipping seems popular, lets get into that! lovely BC resource town going through a boom? Now's the time to buy because it will only keep going up! Or they don't even buy/sell based on making money, it's just based on whims. House feels too big and hard to look after so sell it and buy a condo. Hate your condo so buy a house again. Just, generally be really really bad with your money but blunder through because they are riding high on all the 90's to now equity they've gained, and good paying jobs. Then they go on about how the next generation's so bad with money and don't have the financial sense to buy a house.

Heh, my dad bought a house in Point Grey for $25,000 in the 70s which is worth close to $3,000,000 now. But of course he sold it in the 70s too.

When I was born they had a place on Alberta St, so worth well over $1,000,000 now since it is also west of Main, then after many years down under we inherited a huge Vancouver special near Deer Lake Park in Burnaby with unobstructed mountain views from my grandma (now worth $1 mill), then moved a place near the Grouse Mountain gondola (now worth $2 mill), then oceanfront in Deep Cove (now worth $2 mill), and now they're crying poor with $700,000 left and no home.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
http://www.cbc.ca/news/business/wti-oil-price-drops-6-as-inventories-jump-more-than-expected-1.3024830

For the ignoramuses in this thread chortling about oil's miraculous recovery yesterday.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
Yes, we get it: oil prices go up and down. If I wanted the WTI spot price, I'd go check it. You don't need to keep us apprised of the situation constantly.

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

Cultural Imperial posted:

Yesssssss. I'm really hoping that housing costs will become reasonable again by the time my partner and I decide to have kids.

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

I had a beer with Stephen Harper once and now I like him.
I legitimately love all the constant antagonism in this thread :dance:

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Coxswain Balls posted:

Yesssssss. I'm really hoping that housing costs will become reasonable again by the time my partner and I decide to have kids.

well the bright side is housing will be reasonable, downside is the whole economy crashing and burning.

I also love the Canadian economy articles getting excited over the price of oil increasing by a few dollars. The price is not going up to $75+ anytime soon despite all the article writers clamoring for some sort of miraculous rescue, "Well the price has to go up eventually!"

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

That goes without saying. Just how bad things end up becoming is one of the main things that's going to determine whether or not we decide to have children and/or get a home.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe

Coxswain Balls posted:

That goes without saying. Just how bad things end up becoming is one of the main things that's going to determine whether or not we decide to have children and/or get a home.

Serious post: this is probably the worst consequence of a prolonged housing bubble. While reproductive technology is innovating in leaps and bounds, it is an absolute tragedy that rational people have to choose between mortgage debt indentured servitude and reproduction. Especially given the way demographics are changing. gently caress this country.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

We need TFB's, temporary foreign babies.
Or more likely a gross system of surrogate foreign mothers that come in, carry some older couple's kids they never had in their 30's due to housing costs, and then get kicked out of the country.

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line

Serious post: this is probably the worst consequence of a prolonged housing bubble. While reproductive technology is innovating in leaps and bounds, it is an absolute tragedy that rational people have to choose between mortgage debt indentured servitude and reproduction. Especially given the way demographics are changing. gently caress this country.

gettin older and richer!

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe

quote:

Why house prices can soar but still be affordable. The effect of falling interest rates in one graph (via Desjardins) http://twitter.com/tamsinrm/status/585460569211277313/photo/1

https://twitter.com/tamsinrm/status/585460569211277313

Coylter
Aug 3, 2009

That's insane right?

I mean, to believe that you're getting something affordable is literally to burrow your head in the sand and not think that rates can go up ever.

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos

Coylter posted:

That's insane right?

I mean, to believe that you're getting something affordable is literally to burrow your head in the sand and not think that rates can go up ever.
Well they've been dropping for like a decade now and they're basically at zero in a lot of places. There is a lot of expectation that Canada will drop it's overnight to zero eventually, especially with an oncoming recession. Seems like borrowers have been overall winners.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe

My wife and I would probably have a few kids underfoot by now if you could go back to the old 'one parent stays home until the kids are old enough to ride the school bus and do the latchkey kid thing' model of parenting.

Right now the thought of paying over half my salary to daycare, buying a second car to ferry them around and then watch my kids have to fight to the death for lovely 6 months no benefits contracts 20 years from now is one of the biggest reasons why we'll probably never have kids.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Disgusting

quote:

Sydney closes in on $1m median house price

Sydney's median house price could crash through the $1 million mark before the end of the year.

Cheap debt, immigration and a booming NSW economy has some property experts tipping more than 10 per cent price growth before December.

"We revised our numbers last week for to grow between 11 to 15 per cent for the year, and the current tempo is clearly for 15 per cent," SQM Research chief executive Louis Christopher said.

"It could be as early as the fourth quarter of this calendar year that Australian Property Monitors reports a median house price above the $1 million mark."

SQM Research on Tuesday reported Sydney's median asking price for homes has hit $1.066 million.

The measure reflects a vendor's desired sale price, rather than the price, and is always substantially higher than median sales values. But Mr Christopher believes actual house prices are headed in the same direction of asking prices.

"It's going to happen before this cycle is through," he said of medians surpassing $1 million. "It will happen."

The median price for a detached home in Sydney is currently $882,000 according to figures published by the Real Estate Institute of Australia. Rival property research group Australian Property Monitors calculated in December put the median detached house price slightly lower at $876,000 at the end of December, with a new round of values data to be released within the fortnight.

APM chief economist Andrew Wilson believes Sydney's median is so close to reaching $1 million that he has mounted a clock on his desk counting down the months, days, hours and seconds until the milestone.

"In December we were on track to reach $1 million by the middle of next year, but prices are now accelerating and we're likely to get there earlier than we first predicted," Dr Wilson said.

"Sydney's price growth is tracking between 3 and 4 per cent a quarter, and it will definitely be double figure results by the end of the year."

Low income growth is likely to keep a lid on house price growth at 4 per cent a quarter, Dr Wilson said, but the low cost of borrowing and higher equity stakes that fast capital growth has afforded homeowners means prices will continue on a steady, stable upward trajectory.

"A lot depends on whether we can sustain this rate, because incomes just aren't growing, but sharp falls in interest rates will continue to increase borrowing capacity," he said.

BIS Shrapnel analyst Angie Zigomanis agreed. "The latest interest rate cut helped fuel more activity, and we think that further cuts will help fuel it further," he said.

Mr Zigomanis argues that discounted loan rates at rock bottom levels have made owning a million dollar home an achievable goal for average buyers.

"If you borrow a $1 million on the current discounted loan rate between 4.5 per cent and 5 per cent, that equates to around $45,000 to $50,000 in interest repayments each year ... and if you took a rule of thumb that a bank allows for 30 per cent of income to go to home loan repayments, it means you're only earning about $150,000 a year - or for two people, that's $75,000 each - and that's not too far above the average wage," he reasoned.

More than 32 per cent of homes sold in Sydney during 2014 fetched a sales price of more than $1 million, according to RP Data analyst Tim Lawless. This is a substantial increase on prior years. In 2013, a quarter of homes were sold for more than $1 million. In 2012, prestige sales in this bracket made up just 18 per cent of transactions.

"The proportion [of homes selling for more than $1 million] is becoming very large," Mr Lawless said. "And it's not yet 50 per cent, but if the current rate of growth continues, we'll be there in two years."

RP Data Core Logic analysts, which use a different methodology for calculating median values, have recorded the median selling price for detached homes of $781,600.

Against this measure, RP Data analyst Tim Lawless believes Sydney's median house price is more likely to hit $1 million in 2017.

But he is sanguine about the likelihood of house prices running that high.

There are too many headwinds, he argues.

"Affordability constraints are likely to put some natural brakes on market conditions, as well as the fact that rental yields are being severely compressed," he said.

The investor segment is one of the primary drivers of capital gains across Sydney, but low rental yields combined with potential restrictions on lending to investors could substantially curb demand across the demographic, he added.

"Historically, any markets that have continued to grow at high rates for a long period of time generally have a longer downside as well. And so even if those [million dollar] results do come through, then potentially prices might not stay that high for very long."

http://www.afr.com/real-estate/residential/nsw/sydney-closes-in-on-1m-median-house-price-20150408-1mgfi9

I feel ill.

Freezer
Apr 20, 2001

The Earth is the cradle of the mind, but one cannot stay in the cradle forever.

cowofwar posted:

Well they've been dropping for like a decade now and they're basically at zero in a lot of places. There is a lot of expectation that Canada will drop it's overnight to zero eventually, especially with an oncoming recession. Seems like borrowers have been overall winners.

Paying 1% less interest on an asset that costs 10% more than it did last year is hardly a slam dunk win. Specially considering that the interest could rise, or asset could depreciate (or, for laughs, both).

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

I had a beer with Stephen Harper once and now I like him.

cowofwar posted:

Agreed. Anyone who didn't leverage themselves to the hilt is the real sucker.

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

What's the median household income there?

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

shrike82 posted:

I'm getting around $62k per household (at least as of 2011).

Isentropy
Dec 12, 2010

Where can I watch the Nova Scotian housing market crumble in real time? Please note that the only well paying jobs in Halifax are in some way government related (military contractors, the military, or healthcare/education).

e: and yes, I said Halifax, because the only economy outside of Halifax in Nova Scotia is one-horse company towns like Waterville and New Glasgow

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

shrike82 posted:

75,000 for Australia

MickeyFinn
May 8, 2007
Biggie Smalls and Junior Mafia some mark ass bitches

This is great. If the population always adjusts debt such that debt service is some semi-fixed fraction of their gross income, then the only way you can ever raise rates in the future is if there is wage growth. Otherwise, the population will always move to consolidate and raising rates will cause a recession. On the other hand, I doubt wage increases guarantee that a rate increase will be painless. That means the housing bubble will continue until rates drop to near zero, I guess. Barring some shock to oil...

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord

EvilJoven posted:

My wife and I would probably have a few kids underfoot by now if you could go back to the old 'one parent stays home until the kids are old enough to ride the school bus and do the latchkey kid thing' model of parenting.

Right now the thought of paying over half my salary to daycare, buying a second car to ferry them around and then watch my kids have to fight to the death for lovely 6 months no benefits contracts 20 years from now is one of the biggest reasons why we'll probably never have kids.

This sounds like you are really bitter that kids cost money, perhaps you would be better off with pets. If you do choose to have kids, you will 'find a way' to make your budget work, like every other family in the world.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you

This is the situation my wife and I are in and it really sucks. I make average money. She made... poor decisions in University, so is now back in school to try and get some training that will help her get a real job. Buying a house seems like an impossible dream, having kids seems like it would break us financially.

Of course families in all sorts of situations "make it work", but it's not ideal. Her parents say that no one ever feels ready to have kids, but then again they were able to buy their first house for around 100k and that was "splurging".

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe

jm20 posted:

If you do choose to have ______, you will 'find a way' to make your budget work, like every other family in the world.

Ladies and gentlemen, this thread is dedicated to young Einsteins like this all across Canada. Anyone can have whatever they want; you'll just "find a way to make it work".

Let me spell it out for you, idiot. It's called risk management.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord

Ladies and gentlemen, this thread is dedicated to young Einsteins like this all across Canada. Anyone can have whatever they want; you'll just "find a way to make it work".

Let me spell it out for you, idiot. It's called risk management.

If we all waited until we were 'financially steady' for children we would be having kids well into our mid 30's, perhaps even 40's. Speaking to risk management specifically, it makes far more sense to be financially 'less secure' and have children early than risk having kids in your ate 30's where complications skyrocket.

You might need another break CI.

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum
You know, as much as we poo poo on the elders in here, young people are just as retarded.

Exhibit 1: Twenty-four, 6 year BA in psych and creative writing, headed to grad school for screenwriting. End result: entering the work force at 26/28 with no money and zero work experience.

Exhibit 2: Same age, same degree, headed to grad school for a master in arts-psych. No real work experience.

Both these people are still living off their parents dime for rent and tuition rather than student loans.

:downs:

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe

jm20 posted:

If we all waited until we were 'financially steady' for children we would be having kids well into our mid 30's, perhaps even 40's. Speaking to risk management specifically, it makes far more sense to be financially 'less secure' and have children early than risk having kids in your ate 30's where complications skyrocket.

You might need another break CI.

Obviously they don't teach reading comprehension anymore

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Shitty Reporter
Oct 29, 2012
Dinosaur Gum
Please don't bring more people into this deranged world. There are already way more than the planet can support.