Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Kyrie eleison posted:

Any advances by the devil will be rolled back in due course, so enjoy it while it lasts. The swinging pendulum is going to be a bitch.
What makes you think it's going to swing back in your direction exactly? The earth moves, after all, and the pendulum precesses. Maybe in the end the winner will be Islam. Wouldn't that be something?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Actually Kyrie a free swinging pendulum doesn't rotate with the earth so we have a decent chance of it landing on Satan. Better start hailing the prancing bastard

Robotnik Nudes
Jul 8, 2013

Mr. Sunshine posted:

Can you prove this in a way that would convince anyone who doesn't already agree with you? Because "I'm right because I say I'm right!" is a claim that can be made by anyone, about anything, and it proves nothing.

I believe Carry Your Laser's view can be summed up something along the lines of "Jesus said it I believe it that settles it"

Also seriously people trying to get people to rationalize articles of faith have about as much understanding of faith as CoC and Kyrie do about rationality.

Kyrie eleison
Jan 26, 2013

by Ralp
I can't believe I ever wasted any time trying to explain anything to anybody

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Kyrie eleison posted:

Good job you didn't, then!

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Kyrie eleison posted:

If you're all ecumenical and liberal and just want to get along with everybody and find "the common religious experience" and how "we all connect to the great divine mystery" or whatever then obviously you're going to look at Satanists and say "they are just doing what they believe, maybe I can learn from them" and maybe take part in a Black Mass or two just to expand your horizons and learn about the full breadth of human experience, but if you prefer to stick with one particular religious tradition for whatever reason then you are going to have to realize it is at odds with all other belief systems and you might as well embrace it and poke fun at them the way one does a respected rival. Or you can get your fee-fees hurt whenever anyone mentions Hell or something, that works too

Satanists don't actually worship Satan, HTH.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Kyrie eleison posted:

Hey, you actively set back the cause of Christianity. But at least you got to make yourself feel better, right?? And in the end, selfish gratification of one's ego is what Christianity is all about. Apparently.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Who What Now posted:

I had Satanism explained to me as "secular humanism except way cooler and it pisses people off" and now I'm gay for Satan

Series DD Funding
Nov 25, 2014

by exmarx
I thought it was Objectivism.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Literally The Worst posted:

I had Satanism explained to me as "secular humanism except way cooler and it pisses people off" and now I'm gay for Satan
LaVey Satanism is basically Objectivism with some black mass/psychobilly style on top of it. Satan is mostly there to freak the squares.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Nessus posted:

LaVey Satanism is basically Objectivism with some black mass/psychobilly style on top of it. Satan is mostly there to freak the squares.

Unsurprisingly there are many different people who call themselves satanists who all have different ideas of what satanism is.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Nessus posted:

I watched a video of Bob Larsen interviewing...I want to say one or two of LaVey's kids and at the end I ended up rooting for Bob because they were basically just assholes. Nothing to do with the Satan part, Satan is cool.

GAINING WEIGHT...
Mar 26, 2007

See? Science proves the JewsMuslims are inferior and must be purged! I'm not a racist, honest!

Kyrie eleison posted:

You didn't, though, and I don't mean that in a snarky way, but in a factual one: your purpose has always been to lord your self-righteousness over everyone else and declare your own opinions and views to be superior by merit of them coming from you (and, in your mind, from God himself). Even within your own faith, pride of this degree is sinful beyond anything you accuse anyone else in this thread of being or doing. Pride is the highest corrupting of all sins. And those of us who don't believe in your faith don't have that kind of pride, we have doubt, something you have long convinced yourself is harmful and dangerous.

You are the villain. You are the corrupt. You are the one in need of change.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Literally The Worst posted:

I watched a video of Bob Larsen interviewing...I want to say one or two of LaVey's kids and at the end I ended up rooting for Bob because they were basically just assholes. Nothing to do with the Satan part, Satan is cool.
Well you know how a lot of Christians really do not live up to Christ's example? Same deal with Satan.

Robotnik Nudes
Jul 8, 2013

Nessus posted:

It's also a really simplified version of Thelema for people who didn't think Crowley was spooky enough. It's the spinning skull gif of religions.

Theistic Satanists are way cooler.

I'm perSonally open to the idea of an Evil or at least uncaring deity. Or a demiurge type situation. If there is a loving personal God then the only thing to do, if you are convinced that said God is on the up and up and isn't tricking you is just to roll with the fact that His love is weird and impossible to understand and maybe you should keep such a God at arm's length.

Any extant deities you meet, even nice ones are probably far past out comprehension and potentially dangerous so say thanks for not killing you yet and don't try to overthink it.

That's a problem so-called rational types come up against and one reason their arguments are bullshit. It's trying to apply human values to an entity that is aggressively inhuman, or at least was until it possibly incarnated itself then died it's like an ant trying to explain why the human steps on them, or like a dog trying to understand the surgery the vet performs. That way lies madness, and it's probably not even real so don't fret it.

Series DD Funding
Nov 25, 2014

by exmarx
Thelema seems pretty cool.

Kyrie eleison
Jan 26, 2013

by Ralp
Lol you're all goth kids

Robotnik Nudes
Jul 8, 2013

Series DD Funding posted:

They have a cool tarot deck. Book of the Law and Book of Lies are fun reads. Crowley was a pretty absurd character but he got people to pay him to sodomize them so I guess he did pretty well for himself.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Kyrie eleison posted:

Lol you're all goth kids
OK Stocking

Robotnik Nudes posted:

They have a cool tarot deck. Book of the Law and Book of Lies are fun reads. Crowley was a pretty absurd character but he got people to pay him to sodomize them so I guess he did pretty well for himself.
I didn't hear about THAT one, though I know he was gay as hell.

Robotnik Nudes
Jul 8, 2013

Nessus posted:

OK Stocking
I didn't hear about THAT one, though I know he was gay as hell.

The secret of the 9th degree of the OTO is basically that cream pie+ menstrual blood
= Magick?

The 11th degree is buttsex.

fade5
May 31, 2012

by exmarx

Nessus posted:

Hey, you actively set back the cause of Christianity. But at least you got to make yourself feel better, right?? And in the end, selfish gratification of one's ego is what Christianity is all about. Apparently.
I'm serious when I say that this thread has actually made me question my already squishy "faith" even more. I'm even less sure of what I believe now than I was before this thread started. So congratulations Kyrie, your proselytizing has had the exact opposite effect that you intended.:dawkins101:

(Admittedly it wasn't completely Kyrie that caused this; the rise of ISIL and their horrific brutality towards loving everyone has also started to shove me out of the "vaguely Christian, who the hell knows exactly" camp.)

Kyrie eleison
Jan 26, 2013

by Ralp

Nessus posted:

OK Stocking

Stocking is an angel

fade5 posted:

(Admittedly it wasn't completely Kyrie that caused this; the rise of ISIL and their horrific brutality towards loving everyone has also started to shove me out of the "vaguely Christian, who the hell knows exactly" camp.)

Lol wut. Also nobody calls them ISIL but obama

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

fade5 posted:

I'm serious when I say that this thread has actually made me question my already squishy "faith" even more. I'm even less sure of what I believe now than I was before this thread started. So congratulations Kyrie, your proselytizing has had the exact opposite effect that you intended.:dawkins101:

Well that assumes the purpose was to spread the Gospel of Christ instead of gratify himself, I think he's been quite successful at the latter.

Kyrie eleison posted:

Stocking is an angel
I see what you did there.

Robotnik Nudes
Jul 8, 2013

I also enjoyed PSG but it's pretty super lol for a wannabe apologist to be rocking as an avatar

Robotnik Nudes
Jul 8, 2013

If God loves us then why did he allow 2nd Impact to happen and why are Angels trying to kill us?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Kyrie eleison posted:

Any advances by the devil will be rolled back in due course, so enjoy it while it lasts. The swinging pendulum is going to be a bitch.

There is a Foucault metaphor in there somewhere with the idea that pendulums don't swing back and forth exclusively but I'm not sure how to make it.

Nessus posted:

What makes you think it's going to swing back in your direction exactly? The earth moves, after all, and the pendulum precesses. Maybe in the end the winner will be Islam. Wouldn't that be something?

Yeah that, I guess.

Armani
Jun 22, 2008

Now it's been 17 summers since I've seen my mother

But every night I see her smile inside my dreams

Series DD Funding posted:

You get mad tail in it, too.

Robotnik Nudes posted:

If God loves us then why did he allow 2nd Impact to happen and why are Angels trying to kill us?

So Fei Shinji and Elly Asuka can become Adam and Eve in a new world.

Armani fucked around with this message at 23:58 on Apr 8, 2015

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Who What Now posted:

All the cool ones do.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Nintendo Kid posted:

All the cool ones do.

Cool satanists also don't call themselves satanists.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Kyrie eleison posted:

Lol you're all goth kids

Lol your a gay Catholic

Who What Now posted:

I always thought Satanism was just off the beaten path hedonism :shrug:

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Who What Now posted:

Spoken like a true Nerd Satanist.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
What's wrong with worshipping Satan :(

Robotnik Nudes
Jul 8, 2013

site posted:

What's wrong with worshipping Satan :(

Absolutely nothing and don't let anybody tell you otherwise, but if you say you're a Satanist you better worship the Devil or else you're just a lame poser.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Hail Satan

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

site posted:

Hail Satgan

Robotnik Nudes
Jul 8, 2013

Hail Thetans

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Also acceptable.
Mmmm not so much

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Hey, now let's not praise a scam cult that ruins people's lives :colbert:

Kyrie eleison
Jan 26, 2013

by Ralp
Christian: "You're all Satanists"
Atheist: "Nuh uh!! I'm just enlightened person"
Christian: "Satan worshippers"
Atheist: "No way man"
Christian: "Go worship Satan"
Atheist: "Ok fine I was a Satan worshipper all along"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Kyrie eleison posted:

Christian: "You're all Satanists"
Atheist: "Nuh uh!! I'm just enlightened person"
Christian: "Satan worshippers"
Atheist: "No way man"
Christian: "Go worship Satan"
Atheist: "Ok fine I was a Satan worshipper all along"

:laffo: :rolleyes:

If you actually believe this line of reasoning..... :laffo:

C'mon Kyrie, you used to try harder than this.

• Locked thread