Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Uranium Phoenix
Jun 20, 2007

Boom.

Stultus Maximus posted:

Yeah, a good solution to poorly structured courses is to remove them.

Especially if our sample size for that course is "1" and based off some random dude's anecdote.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

foobardog
Apr 19, 2007

There, now I can tell when you're posting.

-- A friend :)

SubponticatePoster posted:

Typing is probably the single most useful course I took in school. Lots of jobs require wpm type testing. I'd say it's even more useful now since nobody writes anything and it's all done by keyboard.

Typing is fine, but I never took a computer course in HS, because it required a whole year of typing as a prerequisite and I don't think there was a way to test out. Knowing how to type as a programmer is nice, but design and logic are much more important.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
I'm still finding it hilarious that someone seriously suggested "firearm safety" as part of a life skills course. Don't touch a gun that ain't yours ever, done.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
No room for hyperbole itt

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich
I didn't take PE

Took extra AP courses instead to graduate early, get to college

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
^ Illinois has that option? PE was mandatory k-12 here.

If you really want to talk education reform and fitness, firearms safety and first aid training should be part of mandatory national service for all adults.

Karnegal
Dec 24, 2005

Is it... safe?
My HS computer class was a joke. It was typing followed by a section of duplicate this printed version of a MS office document (there was no instruction). It was totally self directed, so I finished the whole course in like 2 weeks and then the class became a study hall for the rest of the term. The teacher just sat at his desk and ignored the class for 90% of the period. I wish I could get that cushy of a job.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

LORD OF BUTT posted:

I would honestly cut low-level computer classes. Higher-level CS can stay (though I've only ever heard of rich white suburban schools offering it) but the vast majority of people nowadays are semi-computer-literate

Pure fantasy. Most people can send text messages and halfway stagger to Facebook.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

McDowell posted:

^ Illinois has that option? PE was mandatory k-12 here.

If you really want to talk education reform and fitness, firearms safety and first aid training should be part of mandatory national service for all adults.

It was mandatory. Like most mandatory things, there are loopholes.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Quote of the night, "I'm not Mitt Romney. I have to work for a living." ~ Rick Santorum, corporate lobbyist and Fox News contributor.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Nintendo Kid posted:

I'm still finding it hilarious that someone seriously suggested "firearm safety" as part of a life skills course. Don't touch a gun that ain't yours ever, done.

In all honesty, speaking as an experienced shooter with years of interest in firearms, there isn't a whole lot that a mandatory safety class can really teach. The vast, vast majority of negligent shootings with guns has to do with violating the core safety rules:

1. Always Keep The Muzzle Pointed In A Safe Direction
2. Firearms Should Be Unloaded When Not Actually In Use
3. Don't Rely On Your Gun's "Safety"
4. Be Sure Of Your Target And What's Beyond It
5. Use Correct Ammunition
6. If Your Gun Fails To Fire When The Trigger Is Pulled, Handle With Care!
7. Always Wear Eye And Ear Protection When Shooting
8. Be Sure The Barrel Is Clear Of Obstructions Before Shooting
9. Don't Alter Or Modify Your Gun, And Have Guns Serviced Regularly
10. Learn The Mechanical And Handling Characteristics Of The Firearm You Are Using

Outside of these rules, learning about firearms is almost entirely marksmanship and other skill tests rather than anything that would improve your handling. And the first four are the ones most likely to cause damage when violated, and thus the ones most often repeated. A firearms safety class in school would probably last a month at the most, unless the rest was marksmanship and cleaning practice.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Yeah it's been a while but i remember my firearms course being like a week of one hour classes including actual time on the range lol

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy

chitoryu12 posted:

In all honesty, speaking as an experienced shooter with years of interest in firearms, there isn't a whole lot that a mandatory safety class can really teach. The vast, vast majority of negligent shootings with guns has to do with violating the core safety rules:

10. Learn The Mechanical And Handling Characteristics Of The Firearm You Are Using

Outside of these rules, learning about firearms is almost entirely marksmanship and other skill tests rather than anything that would improve your handling. And the first four are the ones most likely to cause damage when violated, and thus the ones most often repeated. A firearms safety class in school would probably last a month at the most, unless the rest was marksmanship and cleaning practice.

The number one safety rule that actually gets people (kids) killed is lock your loving guns up properly in your home so your kids can't get at them, assholes.

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

I'm as goony as the next guy but the idea of goons being against PE is so :goonsay: it can't possibly considered reasonable.

badatom
Dec 10, 2011
"Life skills" and "basic logic" courses in school will never happen because it's in corporate America's best interests to keep people undereducated. They don't want people to be able to easily navigate bank loans or make informed decisions about purchases. Or balancing a checkbook, or doing their own taxes. The problem is, the Republicans are gutting education standards far beyond that, to the point of diminishing returns.

berzerker
Aug 18, 2004
"If I could not go to heaven but with a party, I would not go there at all."
I love education chat because every single person gets to chime in with an anecdote about how things were done at their school which is SO interesting and useful.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

badatom posted:

"Life skills" and "basic logic" courses in school will never happen because it's in corporate America's best interests to keep people undereducated. They don't want people to be able to easily navigate bank loans or make informed decisions about purchases. Or balancing a checkbook, or doing their own taxes. The problem is, the Republicans are gutting education standards far beyond that, to the point of diminishing returns.

yeah man, that corporate america, totally in a plot to like do something more than make boatloads of money man

totally :2bong:

You do realize how you sound, correct?

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

The Highest Judge of Paradise
Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

My Imaginary GF posted:

yeah man, that corporate america, totally in a plot to like do something more than make boatloads of money man

*Forgets the numerous moves to cut back on critical thinking in public schools*

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
In which Mike Huckabee suggests decapitating ISIS with a hoe.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1FwCejK2XBU

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

Sometimes, there's a man, well, he's the man for his time and place. He fits right in there. And that's Jimmy T.
Hey folks, I don't normally post much but have been getting more interested/involved in politics lately so I apologize if this isn't the correct place for this discussion. Today, I had this article gracing my news feed on facebook, with many of my republican friends commenting and liking it. Here is the article in question:

http://www.usherald.com/maine-welfare-recipients-must-work-for-their-benefits/#.VSMk815brdk.facebook

I don't know much about the US Herald but it seems like your typical right-wing media outlet that likes to point out how dumb the liberals are for wasting taxpayer money. In reading the article though, it seems like they are mandating that able-bodied adults with no children are required to perform some level of community service in order to receive their benefits. Something about this just doesn't feel right to me but I am having trouble articulating it in a logical argument. It disgusts me that people commenting on this article find so much pleasure in "saving" taxpayer money by going after the absolute poorest people in the country, but I know that appealing to anyone on a compassionate level is pointless.

It also feels like this policy is almost a form of indentured servitude, where people are essentially performing a "job", but getting paid through benefits instead of a salary. Again, my apologies if this is not the correct thread for this type of discussion.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

chitoryu12 posted:

The vast majority of the population never owns a gun. All they need to know is "don't play with other people's guns, and especially don't mess with any that are lying around in the open".

You are describing something that's only relevant to the (shrinking) minority of people who own and use guns, it has no place in general schooling.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

MrSargent posted:

http://www.usherald.com/maine-welfare-recipients-must-work-for-their-benefits/#.VSMk815brdk.facebook

It also feels like this policy is almost a form of indentured servitude, where people are essentially performing a "job", but getting paid through benefits instead of a salary. Again, my apologies if this is not the correct thread for this type of discussion.

Yea I saw that on my Facebook feed as well. The discussion isn't off limits here but the subject might be better served in the 'got a crazy forward' thread.

I think the website that posted it is poo poo. The program is a 'success' only because it kicked shitload of people off welfare- not that people just magically found jobs and didn't need it anymore. I can make a welfare program where if you breathe you don't get benefits and kick everyone off it and by that measure it would be a 'success' in getting people off it as well.

edit: could also go in the right wing media thread as well as the forward thread. They're kind of interchangeable at points.

Doctor Butts fucked around with this message at 00:53 on Apr 9, 2015

Uranium Phoenix
Jun 20, 2007

Boom.

berzerker posted:

I love education chat because every single person gets to chime in with an anecdote about how things were done at their school which is SO interesting and useful.
If we can't base our entire education system of millions of teachers and tens of millions of students on the experiences of a few people who are still salty about some thing that happened awhile back, what can we base it on?

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
For future reference, here is the Right Wing Media thread: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3512233&pagenumber=1005&perpage=40

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Uranium Phoenix posted:

If we can't base our entire education system of millions of teachers and tens of millions of students on the experiences of a few people who are still salty about some thing that happened awhile back, what can we base it on?
Someone's butthurt

E gently caress quote isn't edit

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

RuanGacho posted:

I'm as goony as the next guy but the idea of goons being against PE is so :goonsay: it can't possibly considered reasonable.

Goon school

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

My Imaginary GF posted:

I know literally everything you say is a troll, but the primary function of school is to condition humans to be ok with a 9-5 office job, one which any normal human would violently reject if they weren't conditioned to do it from a young age.

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009

Joementum posted:

If GiP has taught me anything, it's that hoes and the military can't end well.

Uranium Phoenix
Jun 20, 2007

Boom.

site posted:

Someone's butthurt

E gently caress quote isn't edit
I'm sorry, I didn't take Intro to Logic in high school so I'm not clever enough to understand the complex, nuanced logical argument you're using here. Perhaps sharing a story about how you didn't like PE class would help???

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
Young Orc

Joementum posted:

Yep, we should've just started a war with the USSR. Big missed opportunity there.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Uranium Phoenix posted:

I'm sorry, I didn't take Intro to Logic in high school so I'm not clever enough to understand the complex, nuanced logical argument you're using here. Perhaps sharing a story about how you didn't like PE class would help???

And I thought migf was bad at trolling.

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe

Joementum posted:

As with everything else the GOP does nowadays, this is just a pale attempt at imitating Reagan.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NpwdcmjBgNA

Karnegal
Dec 24, 2005

Is it... safe?

RuanGacho posted:

PE isn't making people healthy is the issue. Modern PE is a relic of cold war era government policy that doesn't fit in with modern course loads geared towards college prep.

Learning to eat well is going to make a much bigger improvement on people's health than some kick ball a few times a week. I have friends who were wildly overweight in highschool and dropped triple digit pounds after they moved out on their own and learned basic nutrition and cooking skills.

I played sports when I was a kid, and I go to the gym now. I'm not against PE because I loath physical activity. I'm against it because it doesn't accomplish anything meaningful in terms of improving students' health or creating useful habits. Meanwhile most people are poor at meal planning, and bad at cooking.

Uranium Phoenix
Jun 20, 2007

Boom.

site posted:

And I thought migf was bad at trolling.

There's a difference between trolling and ridiculing a bunch of posters for arm-chair reformism where they try and base national education policy on their individual experiences based on literally no research. Now, if you want, you can actually try and back up your moronic claims that we should ditch PE on a national level because you had a bad teacher once or remove English classes in every school across the country because you didn't like some books you were taught and perhaps present some research. Or, as you seem to prefer, you can go back to posting variations of "u mad?" Up to you.

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

I think Colbert's whole 'bears' schtick was making fun of this.

If there is a bear.

fade5
May 31, 2012

by exmarx

Joementum posted:

The implicit irony of a Christian advocating the beheading of ISIL is deliciously ironic. I wonder if he's aware of the irony, or if he's really that dumb?:v:

Golly gee Mr. Huckabee, it's a shame we haven't been targeting any of ISIL's leaders in decapitation strikes huh?

quote:

Allied airstrikes, including those carried out by British warplanes, have killed more than 6,000 8,500 fighters since September, including more than half the militants serving on ISIS' ruling council.

Among the dead jihadis is Abu Muslim al-Turkmani, a former Iraqi army lieutenant colonel considered Baghdadi's number two and ISIS' most senior militant in Iraq.

His death and that of as many as nine others on ISIS' 18-man leadership council have forced Baghdadi to promote local warlords to the status of regional commanders, as his inner circle of trusted advisers and battle-hardened loyalists becomes increasingly small.

Among the ISIS leadership figures killed in airstrikes in recent months is Abu Musa al-Alwani, according to the Sun. Another former member of Saddam Hussein's army, Abu Musa - real name Waleed Jassem al-Alwani - had been a prominent member of ISIS' military council before his death.

Also killed by coalition airstrikes last year was Abu Abdulrahman al-Bilawi - who had been the head of Baghdadi's four man military council, having previously served on the terror leader's religious and strategic advisory body, known as the Shura Council.

Another militant reportedly killed by the first wave of coalition airstrikes in September was Abu Hajar Al-Sufi, also known as Abu Hajar al-Assafi, who had been one of Baghdadi's most trusted advisers on the Shura Council.

His death came two months before that of Abu Jurnas (real name Rathwan Talib Hussein Ismail al-Hamdani), whose official title was believed to have been Governor of 'Border Provinces'. Abu Jurnas' role was to ensure ISIS' barbaric interpretation of Sharia law was enforced along the Syria-Iraq crossing, and to ensure that the nations' respective armies are unable to reestablish the border that was effectively wiped out by the terror group's lightning advance last summer.
"#2 is ISIL" is now basically the new "#2 in Al-Qaeda" longevity-wise.:v:

fade5 fucked around with this message at 01:17 on Apr 9, 2015

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

SubponticatePoster posted:

Typing is probably the single most useful course I took in school. Lots of jobs require wpm type testing. I'd say it's even more useful now since nobody writes anything and it's all done by keyboard.
Yeah, but that needs to be done in, say, late elementary, not high school.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Uranium Phoenix posted:

There's a difference between trolling and ridiculing a bunch of posters for arm-chair reformism where they try and base national education policy on their individual experiences based on literally no research. Now, if you want, you can actually try and back up your moronic claims that we should ditch PE on a national level because you had a bad teacher once or remove English classes in every school across the country because you didn't like some books you were taught and perhaps present some research. Or, as you seem to prefer, you can go back to posting variations of "u mad?" Up to you.
I reeeeealy want to make fun of you some more but this is uspol not chatthread so I'll just say that maybe you shouldn't take things literally all the time. It's called "hyperbole", look it up.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

More Americans die to lack of exercise than lack of gun safety knowledge. I'm pretty sure we need PE more. Maybe we need...better classes instead of none at all!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009

Trabisnikof posted:

More Americans die to lack of exercise than lack of gun safety knowledge. I'm pretty sure we need PE more. Maybe we need...better classes instead of none at all!

All PE classes now consist only of biathlon.

• Locked thread