Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
lotus circle
Dec 25, 2012

Jushure Iburu
So don't worry
I'm not certain about that, but I know the writer said in interviews that he was excited about exploring the darker aspects of Flashpoint Aquaman's loss of Mera. Overall the book was standard set-up but if the writer is up to it then the pay-off should be great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

BrianWilly posted:

Was Flashpoint Aquaman always meant to be some sort of creepy evil stalker guy? I thought his backstory was supposed to be that he's sad 'cuz he lost his Mera, but in Convergence: JLA he kidnaps the "main" Mera and gets real...aggressive...about it.

Everyone in Flashpoint is some twisted grimdark version of themselves because horrible poo poo happened when Barry went back and saved his mom from being murdered even though he knew the consequences of loving with time travel. Can I just put it out there that I somehow hope a version of Silver Age Superman is behind all of this just to be a super dick to all the realities Jimmys and Loises (Loisi?) in order to teach them some kind of lesson.

:smug: "Now now Jimmys I won't return reality to normal until you've learned to eat your spinach, and take out the trash!"

:smug: "And you Loises, let the men handle the front page while the women folk write up the Style and Fashion column. You know, write what you know? That way I don't have to be saving your rear end every. single. TIME!"

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

BrianWilly posted:

Was Flashpoint Aquaman always meant to be some sort of creepy evil stalker guy?
I might be mixing up the animated film with the comic series, but I remember Aquaman aqua-loving Mera behind WW's back (because he was having a wonder-affair with her to begin with), and then poo poo going down when Mera's murdered by Diana.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

lotus circle posted:

The issue she read, by the way, was the Red Robin one with Cass pretending to kill Tim. Not exactly the best issue to use, though Cass' characterization in it wasn't bad.

Anyways I got Question and Justice League and was happy with both. I talked to some friends who got the others and the consensus seems to be that the majority of all the books are just straight set-ups for the second issue. They tease, but don't do much past that. Question I think worked because it didn't tease much, it was just a solid issue about Renee and Harvey and the teasing comes at the tail end. Justice League, likewise, established their set-up toward the end and left the first two-thirds as character interaction.

Argh, she should have at least read Gates of Gotham.

Actually I'm kind of surprised there was nobody who had a Cassandra Cain story in its own right lined up (since apparently it was writers coming up with stories for this and not the other way around). But then I guess DiDio might have forbidden it because he has an irrational hatred of her.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

I don't know what the hell to get next week. I can only maybe think of Supergirl: Matrix because I enjoy some Giffen comics.
Are there any great artists in there?

lotus circle
Dec 25, 2012

Jushure Iburu
So don't worry

Yvonmukluk posted:

Argh, she should have at least read Gates of Gotham.

Actually I'm kind of surprised there was nobody who had a Cassandra Cain story in its own right lined up (since apparently it was writers coming up with stories for this and not the other way around). But then I guess DiDio might have forbidden it because he has an irrational hatred of her.
From the way creative team interviews indicated, Didio and co. made up a list of characters they'd like to see star in Convergence stories and creative teams bid for who would get what. Certain characters/teams were straight up offered to creators right away (Rucka and Wolfman both said they were requested to write Question and New Teen Titans respectively) and others were allotted based on wants/needs.

Stephanie getting a book over Cassandra is not too surprising in that situation because Stephanie is the Pre-Flashpoint Batgirl and is undoubtedly more popular with fans.

moleman
Apr 26, 2003

Now the time has come to gather our forces and run.
I must be from the convergent universe where everybody wanted revisit anything from Flashpoint.

Semper Fudge
Feb 19, 2009

Pitchfork was wrong. (f)lowers of Algerbong is crap.
I think I'm just at the point where I have no fucks left to give about the pre-Flashpoint universe. They left it pretty much completely in shambles outside of two or three dangling plotlines that I was actually enjoying (Dick as Batman, Steph as Batgirl, etc.).

The New 52 is an incredibly mixed bag, but if it comes down to which one I'm actually invested in, the DiDio era DC or the New 52, I'm leaning way harder on the latter. So really, a prolonged nostalgia fest for an era of comics that I don't care about anymore, featuring almost none of the writers and artists responsible for the scant few things I was enjoying, does almost nothing for me.

Semper Fudge fucked around with this message at 04:58 on Apr 9, 2015

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Wait, how is the New 52 not the DiDio era? Wasn't the entire reboot pretty much his mandate, him and Johns and Jim Lee deciding everybody had to have high collars and be single?

Semper Fudge
Feb 19, 2009

Pitchfork was wrong. (f)lowers of Algerbong is crap.
Sorry, was being unclear. I meant the pre-Flashpoint DiDio era of DC. So like 2002 to 2011.

Obviously DiDio is still involved in day to day DC, but to what extent it's hard to say since he was promoted.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

moleman posted:

I must be from the convergent universe where everybody wanted revisit anything from Flashpoint.

Flashpoint had plenty of decent ideas, it's just the execution and what the event led to that makes people bitter towards it. If nothing else, Captain Thunder being a weird Captain Planet/He-Man mashup was great.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

TwoPair posted:

Flashpoint had plenty of decent ideas, it's just the execution and what the event led to that makes people bitter towards it. If nothing else, Captain Thunder being a weird Captain Planet/He-Man mashup was great.

yo I forgot all about captain thunder that was the BEST

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

FilthyImp posted:

I might be mixing up the animated film with the comic series, but I remember Aquaman aqua-loving Mera behind WW's back (because he was having a wonder-affair with her to begin with), and then poo poo going down when Mera's murdered by Diana.

I think it was the opposite. Arthur was having an affair with Diana. Mera found out and assaulted Diana from what I remember who killed Mera. Arthur found out and while he may have been having an affair he was pissed about Diana murdering Mera and they started the huge war.

This is just what I remember from the movie.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

Teenage Fansub posted:

I don't know what the hell to get next week. I can only maybe think of Supergirl: Matrix because I enjoy some Giffen comics.

This was basically an insta-buy when I heard "Keith Giffen" and "Ambush Bug". I really, really wish there were more things with a hook like that or the Question/Rucka combo.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
Main Convergence book was solid, Superman was great and Batman & Robin was underwhelming. I didnt care for all the other books

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
Speaking of Wonder Woman, it's pretty disappointing that she has basically no presence in this story at all. Pre-Flashpoint Superman and Batman are both here, but they couldn't be arsed to find anything for her to do? She's got just as many dangling plot-threads from the old DCU as anyone.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

MonsterEnvy posted:

I think it was the opposite...
Yup, that's what I remember. I just hosed up the phrasing and made it sound stupid.

Whomever said Convergence was a Countdown:Arena knockff hit it square on the head. The way it was sold made it sound like they would get to close off plot threads in a last hurrah, then blip off to the Convergence event.

What I've read is instead 'we've been abducted from our homes and forced to live in a bubble city for a year, completely divorced from the settings and people that gave our stories context and meaning... Hey there's some random folks, let's punch them!'

Its very Kid Smashing Toys together. Mo wonder they called it the band-aid.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

BrianWilly posted:

Speaking of Wonder Woman, it's pretty disappointing that she has basically no presence in this story at all. Pre-Flashpoint Superman and Batman are both here, but they couldn't be arsed to find anything for her to do? She's got just as many dangling plot-threads from the old DCU as anyone.

That's what she gets for not being in Gotham at the time!

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

lotus circle posted:

From the way creative team interviews indicated, Didio and co. made up a list of characters they'd like to see star in Convergence stories and creative teams bid for who would get what. Certain characters/teams were straight up offered to creators right away (Rucka and Wolfman both said they were requested to write Question and New Teen Titans respectively) and others were allotted based on wants/needs.

Stephanie getting a book over Cassandra is not too surprising in that situation because Stephanie is the Pre-Flashpoint Batgirl and is undoubtedly more popular with fans.

I refuse to believe this. :colbert:

FilthyImp posted:

Yup, that's what I remember. I just hosed up the phrasing and made it sound stupid.

Whomever said Convergence was a Countdown:Arena knockff hit it square on the head. The way it was sold made it sound like they would get to close off plot threads in a last hurrah, then blip off to the Convergence event.

What I've read is instead 'we've been abducted from our homes and forced to live in a bubble city for a year, completely divorced from the settings and people that gave our stories context and meaning... Hey there's some random folks, let's punch them!'

It really IS a take off of the '85 Secret Wars!

(although actually Secret Wars was awesome).

I wonder if Luthor's going to steal Telos' power at some point.

Yvonmukluk fucked around with this message at 10:22 on Apr 9, 2015

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

As someone who didn't read the weekly books, it took about twenty pages for Convergence #1 to have anything resembling a plot.

AFoolAndHisMoney
Aug 13, 2013

Sounds like a typical Event book.

These next two months are going to be dull waiting for the actually good books in June to come.

DudeDeuce
Feb 2, 2003
The MAN
Convergence: Superman was awesome. I think it was the perfect "mash-up" of Pre-Flashpoint and Flashpoint universes - especially with their Supermen. And as a comic book guy that got into comics when the very popular Death of Superman story was introduced - I was SO HAPPY to see my Superman back.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

DudeDeuce posted:

And as a comic book guy that got into comics when the very popular Death of Superman story was introduced - I was SO HAPPY to see my Superman back.
I thought the art made him a little more Kingdom Come in age that Reign of the Supermen/Resurrected Mullet Supes. He looks late 40s to 50s with that art. But that could just be the 5 years of Lanky BoyBand Armored Superman talking.

I did like Lois being his Oracle. That whole trust aspect of their relationship was sweet.
Though the dome dropping/being recharged Juuuuuust as he's hit with napalm was a little too :v: for me.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters
Some of this is the problem most big event books have (the entire concept is laid out in promotional material, last-page promos, solicitations, interviews, announced tie-ins, etc. etc.) so by the time that the first issue of the comic sold as "Brainiac smooshed together a bunch of universes and now all the universes have to fight each other!" comes out, it's pretty boring to have twenty-two pages of "Hey! Brainiac has smooshed together our universe with another universe! I guess we're gonna have to fight each other!"

It doesn't help that it isn't a very interesting story and it's not being told terribly well, but even *good* event comics (as much as anyone wants to acknowledge them, fondly remembered ones then?) pretty much universally get the same "well that first issue of [Civil War/Siege/Original Sin/Blackest Night/Infinity/Final Crisis/whatever] basically just told us everything we already knew!" reaction.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

FilthyImp posted:

Sounds like someone read Green Lantern: Mosaic and decided the thing the book had too much of was subtlety.

Honestly if DC made Convergence a spiritual successor ongoing version of Mosaic that would be awesome, but they would rather have a Battle Royale stuff go on instead.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
I found it funny that I read 3 different tie-ins, all set in pre-Flashpoint Gotham, and none of them could agree on how the champions were informed of being picked. Batgirl sees it on TV, Oracle is told by two Thanagarian nutcases, and the Question hears about it in a booming Wizard-of-Oz voice.

I suppose it would constrain creativity to a small degree, but stuff like that seems like it should be on a style sheet for all the creators in something like this.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Here's what's apparently the first design sketch of Wonder Woman, for sale.
http://www.comiclink.com/itemdetail.asp?id=647626

That is some ridiculous handwriting.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib
I don't read any DC books but Batman and Batman: Eternal. I read Convergence 0 and Convergence #1 but I'm pretty confused as to whats going on. Are there other DC books I should read to help me understand wtf is going on?

lotus circle
Dec 25, 2012

Jushure Iburu
So don't worry
Future's End and World's End are basically both stealth-weeklies that lead into Convergence, so you should find a summary of those. The latter especially, because so far it looks like the main stars of Convergence is everyone from the Earth-2 books.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib

lotus circle posted:

Future's End and World's End are basically both stealth-weeklies that lead into Convergence, so you should find a summary of those. The latter especially, because so far it looks like the main stars of Convergence is everyone from the Earth-2 books.

Ok. Thanks a lot!

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

SalTheBard posted:

I don't read any DC books but Batman and Batman: Eternal. I read Convergence 0 and Convergence #1 but I'm pretty confused as to whats going on. Are there other DC books I should read to help me understand wtf is going on?

To be honest, I think you'd end more confused reading the stories set as the prelude for Convergence: Future's End, Earth's End and Doomed.

If you want to track them down, only the final issues of every story are undispensable to Convergence (although Doomed is really, really good)

Having said that, I think Convergence is pretty straightforward: Brainiac has been collecting "samples" of doomed worlds and has put them on a sentient planet named Telos, after Brainiac goes missing, Telos chooses to pit every world against each other to find the perfect world.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Convergence #2 preview
http://www.newsarama.com/24097-preview-dc-s-convergence-2.html
Click for a bunch of wasted pages of Worlds End recap, though the solicit promises Futures End Vs Stan Lee's Just Imagine!

Convergence: Aquaman #1
http://www.comicosity.com/exclusive-preview-convergence-aquaman-1/

Convergence: Catwoman #1
http://www.comicvine.com/articles/exclusive-preview-convergence-catwoman-1/1100-151908/

Convergence: Suicide Squad #1
http://uproxx.com/gammasquad/2015/04/the-squad-rolls-out-in-our-exclusive-preview-of-convergence-suicide-squad/
This one looks maybe alright!

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 12:28 on Apr 11, 2015

Wendell
May 11, 2003

I don't like any of that Aquaman art. I think it is bad!

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

These domes have managed to make even alternate Amanda Wallers lose weight. What a miracle weight loss supplement being bottled is!

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?
Body by Brainiac: Dome away those unsightly pounds!

vegetables
Mar 10, 2012

DudeDeuce posted:

Convergence: Superman was awesome. I think it was the perfect "mash-up" of Pre-Flashpoint and Flashpoint universes - especially with their Supermen. And as a comic book guy that got into comics when the very popular Death of Superman story was introduced - I was SO HAPPY to see my Superman back.

I feel like the world's biggest nerd for even caring about this, but it bothered me that Flashpoint Batman is even trying to save his city from destruction in this comic. Wasn't his whole character arc in the comic he's from about destroying his own universe so that his son can live again? It's a bit rubbish to have all these characters coming back for hardcore geeks if they then behave in ways that aren't anything like what the hardcore geeks would remember.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

vegetables posted:

I feel like the world's biggest nerd for even caring about this, but it bothered me that Flashpoint Batman is even trying to save his city from destruction in this comic. Wasn't his whole character arc in the comic he's from about destroying his own universe so that his son can live again? It's a bit rubbish to have all these characters coming back for hardcore geeks if they then behave in ways that aren't anything like what the hardcore geeks would remember.

This has come up in the Superman issues where he visits the Flash point city. Basically he's conflicted about should they fight at all. He thought he was sacraficing his city to ensure Bruce would live. But the chance to see a Bruce again is tempting to him too.

It's also funny how Convergence has two different Thomas Wayne as Batman running around.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
We have the schedule for the first wave of sneak peeks

quote:

May 6th

DOOMED (Written by Scott Lobdell with Art by Javier Fernandez)
CONVERGENCE: SUPERMAN #2

Reiser is just like every other college student — he worries about his grades, family, friends, girls, battling the Alpha Centurion in the streets of Metropolis as a Doomsday-infected monster…

EARTH 2: SOCIETY (Written by Daniel H. Wilson with Art by Jorge Jimenez)
CONVERGENCE: JUSTICE LEAGUE #2

The heroes of this new Earth battle over a mysterious device that could remake their old world or destroy the new one!

GREEN ARROW (Written by Ben Percy with Art by Patrick Zircher)
CONVERGENCE: SPEED FORCE #2

The series takes a more macabre tone, as Oliver Queen faces off against a murderous trucker in Alaska before he is called home by his half-sister Emiko (from the Jeff Lemire run) to help her save Seattle from nefarious forces.

GREEN LANTERN (Written by Robert Venditti with Art by Billy Tan)
CONVERGENCE: THE ATOM #2

On the run, RENEGADE Hal Jordan is confronted by both sides of the law at a galactic outpost. Beware his new power gauntlet, and watch out for his new partner!

GREEN LANTERN: THE LOST ARMY (Written by Cullen Bunn with Art by Jesus Saiz)
CONVERGENCE: THE QUESTION #2

On a planet more alien than they can begin to imagine, John Stewart and a small group of Green Lanterns encounter new life, new dangers, and a mission of survival unlike anyone's faced before!

MIDNIGHTER (Written by Steve Orlando with Art by ACO)
CONVERGENCE: NIGHTWING/ORACLE #2

Midnigter's on the hunt for the Perdition Pistol, a legendary weapon believed to fire bullets with body-snatching demons inside -- but you shouldn't listen to everything the old stories say….

THE OMEGA MEN (Written by Tom King with Art by Alec Morgen)
CONVERGENCE: BATMAN & ROBIN #2

The Omega Men kill Kyle Rayner?

PREZ (Written by Mark Russell with Art by Ben Caldwell)
CONVERGENCE: BATGIRL #2

Social media sensation Beth Ross is about to become the first teen President -- but only if she can survive her first diplomatic run-in with the UN. Will her Pad Thai craving get in the way?

:siren:RED HOOD/ARSENAL (Written by Scott Lobdell with Art by Denis Medri):siren:
CONVERGENCE: TITANS #2

Jason and Roy face off against the forces of Kobra!

SECTION EIGHT (Written by Garth Ennis with Art by John McCrea)
CONVERGENCE: CONVERGENCE: HARLEY QUINN #2

From the pages of HITMAN and the dumpsters of the Gotham City Municipal Dog Pound, a mysterious figure emerges. Could Dog Welder really be back from the dead?

So hyped for June

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Why the hell didn't GL's team change at all for June? :mad:

e:

Two Tone Shoes posted:

A lot of teams for the titles that are keeping on didn't change.

Sure, but of any to be amongst those that did..

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 07:23 on Apr 12, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Two Tone Shoes
Jan 2, 2009

All that's missing is the ring.

Teenage Fansub posted:

Why the hell didn't GL's team change at all for June? :mad:

A lot of teams for the titles that are keeping on didn't change.

• Locked thread