Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

TG-Chrono posted:

Oh cool, I started work at 6 this morning and on Sunrise they're interviewing a kid named Anzac who is the 5th in his extended family to be named such after their grandfather who was an indigenous Australian soldier and this makes my skin crawl as a returned serviceman this is the toughest time of the year for me and yes I've had 4 coffees already

Ooh Rah :downs:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paracausal
Sep 5, 2011

Oh yeah, baby. Frame your suffering as a masterpiece. Only one problem - no one's watching. It's boring, buddy, boring as death.

Orkin Mang posted:

i worked int he serviec industry too, whats ur opinion on tipping?

Made my own mate #jobcreator

thatfatkid
Feb 20, 2011

by Azathoth

Anidav posted:

In the mail box today, in a golden envelope was a giant folded up Anzac poster.

No return address went straight to the bin.

Why do you hate the diggers? They died for our freedom mate.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Quick thread, find the most tasteless Anzac crap you can.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
Somewhere in a Modern History classroom, teenagers are being told they can be Anzac heroes.

CATTASTIC
Mar 31, 2010

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Guess We Forgot

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

Jumpingmanjim posted:

The RACQ magazine had a full-page ad for some mail order "Lest We Forget" gold ring and I don't care if it's for the Anzacs, it was one of the most American things I'd ever seen.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

Bifauxnen posted:

The RACQ magazine had a full-page ad for some mail order "Lest We Forget" gold ring and I don't care if it's for the Anzacs, it was one of the most American things I'd ever seen.

Freudian Slip
Mar 10, 2007

"I'm an archivist. I'm archiving."

I didn't watch it, but I heard that it rated poorly because it didn't show the ANZACs kicking arse and was closer to reality. The same way that pearl harbour the movie flopped because it showed the Americans getting the poo poo kicked out of them.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Freudian Slip posted:

I didn't watch it, but I heard that it rated poorly because it didn't show the ANZACs kicking arse and was closer to reality. The same way that pearl harbour the movie flopped because it showed the Americans getting the poo poo kicked out of them.

It didn't rate well because there was no reality TV element to it

Brown Paper Bag
Nov 3, 2012

Freudian Slip posted:

Bloody lefties rewriting history, everyone knows we conquered gallipoli that's why they call it anzac cove ffs

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

The mood of this thread seems to oscillate wildly from 'gently caress the ANZACs' to 'people don't respect the ANZACs properly'.

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

put some clothes on you little freak

open24hours posted:

The mood of this thread seems to oscillate wildly from 'gently caress the ANZACs' to 'people don't respect the ANZACs properly'.

You're not very bright

Freudian Slip
Mar 10, 2007

"I'm an archivist. I'm archiving."

open24hours posted:

Apart from BB, I don't think anyone really is in the "gently caress the ANZAC" camp, most people are reacting violently to the chest thumping jingoism that is being built up around their "legend". I believe that reaction is part of the "people don't respect the ANZACs properly" mindset.

Paracausal
Sep 5, 2011

Oh yeah, baby. Frame your suffering as a masterpiece. Only one problem - no one's watching. It's boring, buddy, boring as death.

Freudian Slip posted:

Pearl Harbour flopped because it focused on a terrible love story and was badly written and acted. I would love a movie called Pozieres which is 90 minutes of Australians being murdered, no heroes.

So many bad ANZAC profiteering shills, at least some of it goes to (bad) charities.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

lol how is it 100 years in the making when Gallipoli was like one event?

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

Freudian Slip posted:

Apart from BB, I don't think anyone really is in the "gently caress the ANZAC" camp, most people are reacting violently to the chest thumping jingoism that is being built up around their "legend". I believe that reaction is part of the "people don't respect the ANZACs properly" mindset.

Yeah if anything, the ANZACs themselves tend to have way better attitudes about the whole thing. It's the twits ignoring the more solemn memorial aspect of Anzac Day and the whole "war is bad" message to drape themselves in Australia flags and poo poo that can go get hosed.

Serrath
Mar 17, 2005

I have nothing of value to contribute
Ham Wrangler

Laserface posted:

lol how is it 100 years in the making when Gallipoli was like one event?

Celebrating the centenary is 100 years in the making.

Murodese
Mar 6, 2007

Think you've got what it takes?
We're looking for fine Men & Women to help Protect the Australian Way of Life.

Become part of the Legend. Defence Jobs.

Tomberforce posted:

Hah small world, I'm mate's irl with one of the authors of that paper. He's left Australia now though.

Kevin? He's my old MSci supervisor and is still my 10% PhD supervisor.

Graic Gabtar
Dec 19, 2014

squat my posts
I'll be much happier once this ANZAC centenary is behind us.

The "message" we should take from Gallipoli is different to people but the way that it is being overdone is making GBS threads me.

Quantum Mechanic
Apr 25, 2010

Just another fuckwit who thrives on fake moral outrage.
:derp:Waaaah the Christians are out to get me:derp:

lol abbottsgonnawin

Anidav posted:

:catdrugs: What the gently caress is this poo poo?

The Young Greens got on it last night. It's taken down now, and AFAIK the person who put it up is leaving.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

Maybe that person can make their own Political Party.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe
The message Australians should take from Gallipoli is "Don't gently caress with the turkish".

Drunk Australians make it very clearly how poorly we've internalised this lesson every time they start hurling abuse at a kebab shop owner.

In the words of someone wiser than me: "Guess we forgot."

hiddenmovement
Sep 29, 2011

"Most mornings I'll apologise in advance to my wife."
I'm probably just gonna rewatch the old Peter Weir film which I recall as being an actually good movie.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

quote:

The former Queensland premier Campbell Newman has revealed he twice offered to stand down in the months before the 2015 election for fear of being an “electoral liability”.

Newman, who led the Liberal National party to an election loss in the January poll after just one term in government, has told News Corp Australia of concerns his leadership had reached its use-by date.

He said he offered to quit in July last year after the LNP’s byelection drubbing in the Brisbane seat of Stafford.

“I wanted them to have the best opportunity,” he told the Courier-Mail. “I was genuine about it and quite happy to have given a new leader a chance to lead us into the election if I was an electoral liability.”

He again offered to stand down several months later but he was told to continue in the leadership role.

The LNP has not disputed Newman’s version of events but refused to comment on internal party matters.

The revelations come as Newman continues to work on a biography with the ex-LNP MP and former journalist Gavin King.

The book, which was rejected by the University of Queensland Press, will detail Newman’s seven years as Brisbane lord mayor, his family history and state political career. King and Newman have secured a publishing deal with Connor Court Publishing.

Lmao and then they picked Springborg again.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

Anidav posted:

Calling bullshit, he hung on for dear life.

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

Anidav posted:

This definitely makes sense considering Newman called a snap election when he found out his party was going to turf him?

quote:

An open letter alleging abuse of detainees on Nauru and government inaction could have far reaching legal consequences, and strengthens the hand of any victim who wants to sue the Commonwealth, writes Greg Barns.

The significance of the open letter signed by 24 individuals who are, or have worked, at the Nauru detention centre, is not only political but legal.

Let us leave the political consequences to one side and focus on the latter because the letter appears to suggest that the Commonwealth, which has a non-delegable duty of care to asylum seekers in detention onshore and offshore, has knowingly breached that duty.

The open letter, whose signatories include a former head of mental health services, and workers from Save the Children, suggests that the Department of Immigration has had knowledge since late 2013, obtained through its officers participating in staff meetings and by way of written briefings, of sexual and physical assaults on women and children at the centre.

The letter also alleges that despite having this knowledge the Commonwealth Government did nothing, or certainly not enough, to prevent these assaults from continuing to occur.

On March 25 last year Dr Andrew Morrison SC, a leading barrister in the area of institutional duty of care, and myself explained on this site how the Commonwealth was liable for the wellbeing of asylum seekers even though it employs contractors. We noted:

quote:

The law in Australia is that the Commonwealth Government owes a non-delegable duty to detainees in immigration detention and the Commonwealth can be held liable "for the negligence of others who are engaged to perform the task of care for a third party - no matter whether the person engaged to provide the care is a servant or an independent contractor," as the High Court stated in a landmark 2003 decision called NSW v Lepore.
The legal position has not changed since then.

If the open letter signatories are correct and there is oral and written evidence pointing to the Commonwealth doing little or nothing to prevent physical and sexual assaults after it had such incidents brought to its attention, then it would seem clear the Commonwealth has breached that duty of care to all of those persons who have been psychologically and/or physically injured as a result of the assaults.

The open letter certainly strengthens the hand of any assault victim at the Nauru detention centre who wants to sue the Commonwealth.

It is notable that the open letter argues the Commonwealth has not only failed to exercise its duty of care to ensure detainees are not harmed but the signatories say it is "absolutely clear: The Government of Australia and the Department of Immigration and Border Protection have tolerated the physical and sexual assault of children, and the sexual harassment and assault of vulnerable women in the centre for more than 17 months."

If this statement is a reflection of the reality then the issue becomes what other legal sanctions are available to ensure justice for the victims of what appears to be the turning of a blind eye by the very people who should have been doing their best to care for vulnerable detainees.

For example, if Immigration Department officials or the Minister for Immigration deliberately refused to allow victims of sexual abuse, physical assaults or harassment to be moved from the Nauru detention centre (the open letter says that this was the case with some women) or if it turned a blind eye to abuse that was occurring this may be grounds for a legal action called misfeasance in public office.

Misfeasance in public office has been around since the 18th century but is emerging in common law countries like the UK, Australia, Canada and New Zealand, as a way of obtaining compensation from government officials who either intentionally or through reckless indifference cause harm to others.

In the case of a failure by Immigration Department officials and or the Minister for Immigration to remove women detainees who had been assaulted and abused this might constitute a misfeasance in public office if it can be proved that the Departmental official or the Minister knew, or was recklessly indifferent to the likelihood that harm would occur to those women because of his or her failure to exercise his or her duty to keep them from harm in detention.

There is also the question of a Comcare investigation and possible criminal charges being brought against the Department of Immigration.

Max Costello, a former prosecutor in the area of workplace safety, says that the Nauru detention centre is a Commonwealth workplace and that the Department has a responsibility under workplace safety laws to ensure it is safe for employees and those who are forced to reside there. Non-compliance with workplace safety laws can result in fines of up to $3 million and jail for up to five years.

One would have thought that the open letter would have Comcare investigators hot footing it to Nauru to examine the evidence for bringing charges against the Department of Immigration.

The mistreatment of asylum seekers and the Commonwealth Government's blithe attitude to it is unconscionable and justice must be accorded to those who have suffered on Nauru. The open letter from the 24 former and current Nauru workers is damning and if its contents are correct (and there is nothing to suggest otherwise) then the road to justice will have become a little easier for those asylum seekers who have been wronged.

Greg Barns is a barrister and a spokesman for the Australian Lawyers Allliance. He is currently advising Independent Member for Denison Andrew Wilkie MP on a request to the International Criminal Court to investigate Australia's asylum seeker policies.

Graic Gabtar
Dec 19, 2014

squat my posts

Anidav posted:

Maybe that person can make their own Political Party.
Everyone else is I guess.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

Jumpingmanjim posted:

Calling bullshit, he hung on for dear life.

Who cares, he's going to write a book....with Gavin King.

Chiwie
Oct 21, 2010

DROP YOUR COAT AND GRAB YOUR TOES, I'LL SHOW YOU WHERE THE WILD GOOSE GOES!!!!

Jumpingmanjim posted:

As someone that owes their education and pretty much the only good parts of my life from 10 to 18 to legacy, go gently caress yourself.

Graic Gabtar
Dec 19, 2014

squat my posts
Lawyers.

Barely containing their excitement that the rivers of gold might start to flow again.

KennyTheFish
Jan 13, 2004

Graic Gabtar posted:

Lawyers.

Barely containing their excitement that the rivers of gold might start to flow again.

How? How do you go from "These people who have a duty of care and are wilfully ignoring it and causing harm, Here is how they are liable" to "Lawyers loving picknik"? Did a Lawyer murder your mother? Are you a card carrying member of the "SHoot the messenger" club?

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

KennyTheFish posted:

How? How do you go from "These people who have a duty of care and are wilfully ignoring it and causing harm, Here is how they are liable" to "Lawyers loving picknik"? Did a Lawyer murder your mother? Are you a card carrying member of the "SHoot the messenger" club?

What?! A lawyer murdered his mother? GOD, that just means even more lawyers are gonna cash in, ugh, for gently caress's sake... :rolleyes:

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

It's awfully similar to the 'climate change was invented to enrich climate scientists' argument.

Jonah Galtberg
Feb 11, 2009

KennyTheFish posted:

It's the stock standard response you see on news site comments from geriatrics who think they're being clever. Craig is just emulating his betters

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

open24hours posted:

It's awfully similar to the 'climate change was invented to enrich climate scientists' argument.

Well hey, let's be fair here, I always gotta admire when someone has a questioning attitude of who's out to just make a profit!

Like the people in mining and energy and fracking- WAIT NO, NOT THEM, THESE ARE JOB CREATORS AND CAPTAINS OF INDUSTRY, COAL IS GOOD FOR HUMANITY YOU drat HIPPIES Okay, how about employers in general who want to erode workplace rights and entitlements to lower average workers' standards of living- QUIT LEANING AND START LIFTING, WE GOTTA LIVE WITHIN OUR MEANS

CATTASTIC
Mar 31, 2010

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
I just assumed that they're so motivated by money/greed that they assume that everyone else must be too.

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax
Hello friends, I'm an Anzac. My glorious self shines with sexy sweat. I put a beer bottle up my arse. I'm one of our boys. I'm Christopher Pyne. I'm a revelation. Hello - I'm here to say gently caress you, thank you, good luck, well done. I'm Christopher Pyne and I'm here to educate. I'm in a trench. I am a trench. I am a school.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Graic Gabtar
Dec 19, 2014

squat my posts

open24hours posted:

With the important difference being that the lawyers do in fact get rich.

They simply cannot wait to get an opportunity to get back into court and embrace all that free advertising that money simply cannot buy.

As well as a fat percentage.

• Locked thread