Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

lifts cats over head posted:

I'm thinking about picking up either Forbidden Island or Forbidden Desert but I'm not sure which. I have pandemic and love it so I'm looking for another good co-op game. Are the mechanics of either of those two games different enough from Pandemic or am I likely to feel like it's the same game with a different setting?

If you are going to choose between the two than as other have said, Forbidden Desert is the best. Though I would maybe look into getting a different game if you already have Pandemic, they are very similar.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jimbozig
Sep 30, 2003

I like sharing and ice cream and animals.

lifts cats over head posted:

I have Hanabi and I'd agree with the recommendations, although I've only had opportunity to play it a few times. Looks like I'll check out Forbidden Desert first. I'm certainly going to add Mage Knight and Space Alert to my wish list, although ever since I found this thread that list is growing much faster than I can buy/rent games.

No. Wrong decision. Get Space Alert first. It is the best. Everyone here can tell you it is the best.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
Eh, Space Alert didn't work for us. Beautifully designed game but not our thing. If what you want out of a co-op is collaborative puzzle solving then e.g. Forbidden Desert & Pandemic are better choices.

Space Alert has time pressure and too much going on to keep track of. Doesn't work for everyone.

Jimbozig
Sep 30, 2003

I like sharing and ice cream and animals.

Mister Sinewave posted:

Eh, Space Alert didn't work for us. Beautifully designed game but not our thing. If what you want out of a co-op is collaborative puzzle solving then e.g. Forbidden Desert & Pandemic are better choices.

Space Alert has time pressure and too much going on to keep track of. Doesn't work for everyone.

Yeah, but they've got pandemic already.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

Space alert is the best game that you'll never play. It hits the table once a year, maybe twice. I'm sure there's outliers, but most people seem to echo this sentiment.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
I think if they have Pandemic then Forbidden Desert may feel same-y.

Mage Knight on the other hand is a completely different beast from either of those. (So is Space Alert but in a different way.)

If looking to explore current Co-ops then MK and SA are further from Pandemic than FD is. But if the idea of sensory overload doesn't appeal then make SA a solid try-before-buy.

E: for phone spelling mutter plucking pizza chit

The Eyes Have It fucked around with this message at 00:56 on Apr 8, 2015

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

Mister Sinewave posted:

I think if they have Pandemic then Forbidden Desert may feel same-y.

Mage Knight on the other hand is a completely different beast from either of those. (So is Space Alert but in a different way.)

If looking to explore current Co-ops then MK and SA are further from Pandemic than FD is. But if the idea of sensory overload doesn't appeal then make SA a solid try-before-buy.

E: for phone spelling mutter plucking pizza chit

I agree completely. However, forbidden desert is only $20. It's not a huge risk investment. I simply cannot refute the points you've made though.

Duder, If you want something in the vein of pandemic, grab forbidden desert. Otherwise, there's been a good half dozen suggestions for more conplex coops. You can always regift FD.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
Heck you're right, I never considered the fact that Forbidden Desert is a cheap and perfectly regiftable game. :)

Mr.Trifecta
Mar 2, 2007

Anyone ran Star Wars Imperial Assault with a new group? Any pitfalls or anything to speed up gameplay that should be known?

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

Mr.Trifecta posted:

Anyone ran Star Wars Imperial Assault with a new group? Any pitfalls or anything to speed up gameplay that should be known?

Might want to cross post in the other thread since there are a lot of people that post there and don't frequent this thread:http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3658006&perpage=40&pagenumber=20

e: dungeon lords happy anniversary is the daily sale at CSI, $60 http://www.coolstuffinc.com/page/1175

fozzy fosbourne fucked around with this message at 03:41 on Apr 8, 2015

FeastForCows
Oct 18, 2011
So, after my third game of Kemet, I found out that the battle cards are in fact not distributed randomly, but each color has its own set of identical cards...yeah.

ThisIsNoZaku
Apr 22, 2013

Pew Pew Pew!

FeastForCows posted:

So, after my third game of Kemet, I found out that the battle cards are in fact not distributed randomly, but each color has its own set of identical cards...yeah.

How were your games playing out beforehand?

FeastForCows
Oct 18, 2011

ThisIsNoZaku posted:

How were your games playing out beforehand?

Not surprisingly, I lost most of my battles. I think I had pretty bad luck with my cards.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

So i need suggestions on games for a group of people that liked Escape:Curse of the Temple i don't know if they'd like the more complex nature of Space Alert so that's kind of out and it doesn't really have to be real time either.

TastyLemonDrops
Aug 6, 2008

you said "drop kick" fyi
Played my first game of Xenoshyft last night. We got demolished at the end of the second wave, but had a fun time overall. The rules could definitely use a FAQ clarification or rewrite and I noticed a few typos on the cards, which is vaguely annoying.

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf

FeastForCows posted:

I made the same mistake, and I remember at least two other people ITT who did the same. Kemet's great but the translation job is really thoroughly mediocre.

Single Tight Female
Jan 17, 2008
Thanks board game thread for the recent resurgence of Dominion chat, that basic client linked a while back got me to finally try it out; within an hour I'd ordered the base set, within 2 days I'd ordered Intrigue and Hinterlands (Intrigue because I frequently play with 5+ people and the same site had Hinterlands cheap) and within the week I had 4 friends who only wanted to play Dominion for the rest of their lives.

Dominion Dominion Dominion.

edit: It's just a shame the base set and Intrigue are both the Hasbro reprints, the quality difference is legitimately noticeable. Time for 3000 sleeves.

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.

HOOLY BOOLY posted:

So i need suggestions on games for a group of people that liked Escape:Curse of the Temple i don't know if they'd like the more complex nature of Space Alert so that's kind of out and it doesn't really have to be real time either.

If they liked the chaotic aspect of, maybe try Galaxy Trucker? The base game isn't super complicated (and you can layer in stuff anyway), it has a real time first part that is chaotic and a bit stressful, and then a resolution after that which is "laugh at yourself and others as you fail miserably." I think it is a total blast. Obviously not co-op like Escape though.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

HOOLY BOOLY posted:

Maybe my brain has been broken by years of intensive board gaming, but I don't find Space Alert all that complex? I mean, I always manage to royally gently caress up what I was trying to do in Space Alert, but the individual actions are all really straightforward. It's the trying to plan around damage to the ship or re-adjusting your phase when an 11th-hour threat gets phoned in that make it difficult, if the failure of the players to coordinate reactor levels and elevators isn't already a factor.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.

Single Tight Female posted:

Thanks board game thread for the recent resurgence of Dominion chat, that basic client linked a while back got me to finally try it out; within an hour I'd ordered the base set, within 2 days I'd ordered Intrigue and Hinterlands (Intrigue because I frequently play with 5+ people and the same site had Hinterlands cheap) and within the week I had 4 friends who only wanted to play Dominion for the rest of their lives.

Dominion Dominion Dominion.

edit: It's just a shame the base set and Intrigue are both the Hasbro reprints, the quality difference is legitimately noticeable. Time for 3000 sleeves.

For the love of God, don't play 5+ Dominion. Play two games with 2 different Kingdoms and then swap. You have the base cards for it.

OmegaGoo
Nov 25, 2011

Mediocrity: the standard of survival!

No. Dominion with 5+ is awful. If you are going to play Dominion with that many people, play two games instead.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums

HOOLY BOOLY posted:

Never played it but from what I understand Space Cadets: Dice Duel might be worth looking into if they liked Escape.

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

Jedit posted:

Played my first game of Elysium tonight. It's very tight, failure to plan alternate strategies will pain you greatly, but you can make clever combos to alleviate that. I recommend it.

Yo Jedit, have you played this some more? It's piqued my curiosity. I like card games with variable setup.

Does it end up being a bit more strategic like Eminent Domain or Dominion or more tactical like base 7 Wonders? Any games in the canon that it compares to?

Also, you were pretty high on Deus in the past, how is it holding up?

Single Tight Female
Jan 17, 2008

Fat Samurai posted:

For the love of God, don't play 5+ Dominion. Play two games with 2 different Kingdoms and then swap. You have the base cards for it.

OmegaGoo posted:

No. Dominion with 5+ is awful. If you are going to play Dominion with that many people, play two games instead.

That wasn't really well written, I meant my gaming group is usually 5 or more. I have no intention of playing it 5 or 6 player. Frankly so far I've preferred 3 to 4, and am trying to engineer a 2 player game.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR
So sorry to hear about the Draughts robbery, London peeps! Geezus what scumbags for 3,000 pounds.

OmegaGoo
Nov 25, 2011

Mediocrity: the standard of survival!

That wasn't really well written, I meant my gaming group is usually 5 or more. I have no intention of playing it 5 or 6 player. Frankly so far I've preferred 3 to 4, and am trying to engineer a 2 player game.

Then we're good, and apologies for jumping on you.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

Mr.Trifecta posted:

Yeah, here's my impressions:

It's fiddly as gently caress, as fiddly as Descent 1.0. Lots of weird stuff. Make sure the Imperial player and one of the Rebel players has read the entire rules reference COMPLETELY including examples at the back of the book.

Each mission plays in about 90 minutes give or take 15.

Enforce a time limit on the Rebels to start their moves (I use one minute each but YMMV) and give the Imperial player double that. Otherwise, assuming equal skill, the Imperial player is at a disadvantage because he is one brain against 2+. Obviously if the Imp player is baller as poo poo then don't do this, but all things being equal I've seen the Rebels analyze and destroy Imperial forces with 5 minutes of discussion and that's not fair IMO.

The Imperial player is not a GM or fun-facilitator. He is another player at the table and he is there to win, and the campaign is designed so that both sides can win missions without it becoming too much of a runaway situation.

Good luck and enjoy the game.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

This. This right here forever. I was going to be perfectly content with unsleeved Dominion...but all my my base Dominion cards are starting to warp pretty noticibly. Thankfully, my FLGS cut me a decent enough deal on ordering 30 packs of Mayfair penny sleeves.

I honestly think 3 player Dominion is king. With 2 its way too easy to count cards and know exactly when to trigger endgame, plus things just aren't swingy enough to prevent runaway leaders (Although that's going to depend a lot on your Kingdom setup, I suppose...). 4 is fine, but games last a hair longer than I'd like. 3 seems perfect.

OtspIII
Sep 22, 2002

jivjov posted:

I honestly think 3 player Dominion is king. With 2 its way too easy to count cards and know exactly when to trigger endgame, plus things just aren't swingy enough to prevent runaway leaders (Although that's going to depend a lot on your Kingdom setup, I suppose...). 4 is fine, but games last a hair longer than I'd like. 3 seems perfect.

I tried avoiding 2p Dominion for a long time for exactly this reason, but I actually really enjoyed how tight you needed to play. That said, I really need to be in the right mood for 2 player games--the dynamic tends to make a lot of things way more zero-sum in a way that makes me play like way more of a dick and generally sets a much less relaxed tone for games. I almost always go for engine-building in 3+ player games, but I have a really hard time not going for hard lock-down and control when going head to head (even in something like Dominion, where the control, if any, tends to be pretty indirect).

Aston
Nov 19, 2007

Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay

Lorini posted:

So sorry to hear about the Draughts robbery, London peeps! Geezus what scumbags for 3,000 pounds.

Oh, that sucks. Hopefully the increased exposure can help them out though.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

Fat Samurai posted:

Tekopo, what do you think of Greenland as a solo game (I think there is a solo variant)? I've been interested in getting it for a while, but I'm pretty sure I'm not going to rope anyone into playing Man vs. Wild with cubes, 1.200 AD edition.
I don't think it would work well as a solo game, it kind of thrives on the direct competition aspect of it. It works better than PaxPo though.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

fozzy fosbourne posted:

Yo Jedit, have you played this some more? It's piqued my curiosity. I like card games with variable setup.

Does it end up being a bit more strategic like Eminent Domain or Dominion or more tactical like base 7 Wonders? Any games in the canon that it compares to?

I haven't played Elysium more yet. I'm tempted to buy it on the back of one play, though. I haven't seen every card even in the five decks we used because that's how it works, but we got a fairly extreme setup where almost no Poseidon cards came out until the last two turns. The other players spent the game jockeying to complete families of the gods who were there in abundance, whereas I mixed it up more and took the only early Poseidon card. While everyone else fought over the family bonuses I was able to build larger sets, which eventually gave me the game. However, if the decks had been more evenly distributed there would have been more of a struggle over quests and the right to go first, as everyone would be competing to take the cards they needed to complete sets or risking losses for citizens. Family and set collection are both viable routes to victory; I won because I read the tactics better, but there's a strategic dimension as well.

Regarding Deus: I've played it several times since and it remains decent, but there is a potential flaw where the first player can eliminate most of everyone else's choice of starting position if he starts with an Army that can move and the other players all have to pray. I don't know how common this is, and I think it's probably dependent on terrain, but I would advise allowing a mulligan if you can show that you have nothing in your opening hand that can be built or ruling that the restriction on putting your first building within three spaces of another player only applies on the first turn.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."
Just watched Rahdo's video on La Granja and it looks really interesting. Probably wouldn't pick it up until it gets a reprint in June though.

I'm really craving a good engine building game right now. I strongly dislike auction mechanics, and I am a fan of random setup and/or drawing of cards. Any suggestions for games that I should look at?

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

Fuckin Yomi on Steam hell yeah

http://www.sirlin.net/posts/yomi-coming-to-steam

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=72Yhw8eccy0

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms

I haven't played Yomi and it doesn't look all that great to me... but cross-platform play is always a plus to me, so I'm always happy to see it.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

Magnetic North posted:

I haven't played Yomi and it doesn't look all that great to me... but cross-platform play is always a plus to me, so I'm always happy to see it.

Yomi is real fuckin good and you should play it

EvilChameleon
Nov 20, 2003

In my infinite money,
the jimmies rustle softly.

fozzy fosbourne posted:

I'm not Jedit but I've played Deus a number of times now and I really like it still. Maybe the thing Jedit said is a problem but I haven't had it happen to me; people I play with are typically not hyper-aggressive. Also the Scrappy review is really good and a good possible starting point for people: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ua_-LRmxW1o

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

Thanks, yeah this sounds pretty good. I don't know anyone who has it so I might try fumbling around with a game online

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

People are supposed to get hurt by things. It's fucked up to not. It's not good for you.

and it comes with stat tracking I am loving sold day 1 purchase