Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vengeance of Pandas
Sep 8, 2008

THE TERRIBLE POST WENT THATAWAY!

Gaz-L posted:

...that makes total sense. They're the totally metal, hardcore, gritty updated Transformers/Turtles/Captain N of the Star Wars U.

Turtles was always gritty, they cut back on that to make the 90's cartoon.
:goonsay:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Vengeance of Pandas posted:

Turtles was always gritty, they cut back on that to make the 90's cartoon.
:goonsay:

Yeah, but fan interpretations still take it too far. Like, Todd McFarlane far.

John Dyne
Jul 3, 2005

Well, fuck. Really?

Lurdiak posted:

Yeah, but fan interpretations still take it too far. Like, Todd McFarlane far.

I dunno, they did blow off half of Raph's face and make him the new Shredder, cut off Leo's hand and have him graft an extendable katana in place of it, and drop Donny out of an exploding helicopter and turn him into a cyborg. I mean, that was all eventually determined to be 'not canon at loving all holy poo poo' but they ran it! It was on the shelves! And some of the original storylines had Raph and Casey shooting thugs with uzis and poo poo and being fairly graphic about it.

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...

John Dyne posted:

I dunno, they did blow off half of Raph's face and make him the new Shredder, cut off Leo's hand and have him graft an extendable katana in place of it, and drop Donny out of an exploding helicopter and turn him into a cyborg. I mean, that was all eventually determined to be 'not canon at loving all holy poo poo' but they ran it! It was on the shelves! And some of the original storylines had Raph and Casey shooting thugs with uzis and poo poo and being fairly graphic about it.

Eastman and Laird were Todd before Todd.

John Dyne
Jul 3, 2005

Well, fuck. Really?

Ensign_Ricky posted:

That's a good way of putting it.

I remember, I think it was at the end of the New York war arc, they're fighting Karai and some of the elite Foot or whatever, and Donny gets his rear end beat and has to shoot one with a gun from one of the dead thugs, and I think it was Leo who impaled one on a piece of exposed rebar.

Fan interpretations got nothin' on the original, save for maybe more turtle penis.

Rival
Dec 13, 2004

Ensign_Ricky posted:

I thought the point of the TMNT comics were to make fun of the whole "dark'n'gritty" genre in the first place, by making a version that was completely goddamn ridiculous.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Rival posted:

I thought the point of the TMNT comics were to make fun of the whole "dark'n'gritty" genre in the first place, by making a version that was completely goddamn ridiculous.

That's a common misunderstanding. It was homage, not satire.

John Dyne posted:

I dunno, they did blow off half of Raph's face and make him the new Shredder, cut off Leo's hand and have him graft an extendable katana in place of it, and drop Donny out of an exploding helicopter and turn him into a cyborg. I mean, that was all eventually determined to be 'not canon at loving all holy poo poo' but they ran it! It was on the shelves!

Yeah, and no one bought it. It was the worst.

Rival
Dec 13, 2004

Lurdiak posted:

That's a common misunderstanding. It was homage, not satire.

Sorry. I was mislead by the, you know, teenage mutant ninja turtley aspect of it all.

Rival fucked around with this message at 02:20 on Apr 9, 2015

John Dyne
Jul 3, 2005

Well, fuck. Really?

Lurdiak posted:

Yeah, and no one bought it. It was the worst.

True. The Image line was horrible.

Then again, the Archie line went off in the complete opposite fan-fiction direction. There was a story arc where Hitler's brain, having survived World War 2, is able to get a robot body and activate a time machine to go in the past to find himself for a reason I really can't remember. But it ends up with this huge brawl and the turtles beat up Robo Hitler, and then when Real Hitler tries to save his future robot Brain, Raphael socks the poo poo out of him, and Leo, as they leave, convinces Hitler to shoot himself so the turtles can't have his brain.

Which means the turtles are why Hitler shot himself in his bunker.

Ninja Turtle Adventures #64

Also that's Donatello in the bath robe. Michaelangelo is elsewhere, fighting alongside an alternate timeline version of himself and his brothers against parody characters of Cable, the Punisher, and I forget who else.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

John Dyne posted:

Ninja Turtle Adventures #64

And the Raph says MILLIONS!

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.

Ensign_Ricky posted:

Yeah, it's pretty awesome.

I'm not exactly surprised that the ex-games journo would sneak in HK47 and T3-M4 alikes, he used go on about how much he liked them and Kreia back in the day. I give it a dozen issues before a take on G0-T0 shows up too.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

The whole gravitas of the Hitler scene is kind of ruined by the "Turtle Island" trucker hat.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Sentinel Red posted:

I'm not exactly surprised that the ex-games journo would sneak in HK47 and T3-M4 alikes, he used go on about how much he liked them and Kreia back in the day. I give it a dozen issues before a take on G0-T0 shows up too.

T3 wasn't a murderer. :colbert: He only used that flamethrower in self-defence!

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
The 80s were strange.
Yes, that is April.

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

...but experts warn it is
just a drop in the ocean.

muscles like this? posted:

The whole gravitas of the Hitler scene is kind of ruined by the "Turtle Island" trucker hat.

This may well be the most perfect sentence ever crafted by mankind.

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...

John Dyne posted:

That's a good way of putting it.

I remember, I think it was at the end of the New York war arc, they're fighting Karai and some of the elite Foot or whatever, and Donny gets his rear end beat and has to shoot one with a gun from one of the dead thugs, and I think it was Leo who impaled one on a piece of exposed rebar.

Fan interpretations got nothin' on the original, save for maybe more turtle penis.

I didn't read much of the original run, but I recall one storyline that had Raph getting his mutant blood sucked out of him by a leech, which then became a giant mutant under the orders of some sort of nature elemental literally called "Old Man River". And because he had no mutant blood, he'd reverted to a regular turtle because that's how genetic modifications work.

Then there was a backup story about some kind of extradimensional roadway that mutated humans into something out of Rob Zombie's nightmares.

Eastman and Laird could give Junji Ito a run for his money on occasion.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Actually, both of those were guest stories. Like a lot of late 80s indie comics, the TMNT book was full of crossovers and rotating guest artists/writers from other indie books. Some of them were really unsubtle about it too, totally sidelining the turtles and essentially making people buy a book about their own characters with the TMNT label on it. My personal favorite was the alt-universe story arc that showed the turtles and Splinter as disgusting brutish monsters fighting a heroic Shredder who kept calling them abominations that shouldn't exist in the natural world, worshipers of the cursed beast.

And they looked like this:

The River was a great story, it's unfortunate that it and several other guest issues aren't collected due to Laird trying to get all guest artists to agree to not collect royalties on reprints while he was working with whoever had the rights at the time, and declaring the works of whoever refused "non-canon".

Lurdiak fucked around with this message at 08:01 on Apr 9, 2015

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Ensign_Ricky posted:

I didn't read much of the original run, but I recall one storyline that had Raph getting his mutant blood sucked out of him by a leech, which then became a giant mutant under the orders of some sort of nature elemental literally called "Old Man River". And because he had no mutant blood, he'd reverted to a regular turtle because that's how genetic modifications work.

If I'm remembering right, this gets resolved by normal turtle Raph biting the mutant leech so hard and off panel, he basically chugs his own mutant blood or something because then he comes back into view as mutant Raph demanding a beer.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

Binary Badger posted:

A lead-lined balloon might have a lot of problems just lifting itself let alone an angry Radioactive Man.

The mythbusters made a functioning, lifting lead balloon in real life. Tony could have done better using comic book "science". In a cave. With a box of scraps.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

CzarChasm posted:

The mythbusters made a functioning, lifting lead balloon in real life. Tony could have done better using comic book "science". In a cave. With a box of scraps.

And a Vietnamese scientist! :science:

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...

prefect posted:

And transistors.

So many transistors....

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Ensign_Ricky posted:

And transistors.

So many transistors....

All controlled with a single concealed stud.

John Dyne
Jul 3, 2005

Well, fuck. Really?

Ensign_Ricky posted:

Then there was a backup story about some kind of extradimensional roadway that mutated humans into something out of Rob Zombie's nightmares.

Eastman and Laird could give Junji Ito a run for his money on occasion.

There was another where there was an ancient ninja amulet that, on a certain day every X number of years, allowed someone to manipulate reality, and the world, however they like. Long story short, Shredder used part of the amulet to revert Mikey into a normal turtle, and while everyone was fighting and the amulet was being tossed around, Mikey got ahold of it as a tiny little turtle and used it to conjure up the biggest slice of pizza he could.

Also, there was Cudley the Cowlick, the transdimensional cow head that would transport people across the cosmos and timelines inside of its mouth, to take it to a planet where they did nothing but professional wrestling. Raph got a new, all-black costume during this.

TMNT took the piss out of everything.

Cangelosi
Nov 17, 2004

"It's cute," he said to himself warily, "but it's not normal."

John Dyne posted:

Also, there was Cudley the Cowlick, the transdimensional cow head that would transport people across the cosmos and timelines inside of its mouth, to take it to a planet where they did nothing but professional wrestling. Raph got a new, all-black costume during this.

That wasn't the only thing Raphael picked up during that run.

the future is WOW
Sep 9, 2005

I QUIT!

Phy posted:

To take Radioactive Man over the hills and far away.

I hate to admit that it took me a minute to get, but you got a good laugh out of me.

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...

John Dyne posted:

There was another where there was an ancient ninja amulet that, on a certain day every X number of years, allowed someone to manipulate reality, and the world, however they like. Long story short, Shredder used part of the amulet to revert Mikey into a normal turtle, and while everyone was fighting and the amulet was being tossed around, Mikey got ahold of it as a tiny little turtle and used it to conjure up the biggest slice of pizza he could.

TMNT took the piss out of everything.

Yeah, but those were the Archie Comics version, which was completely batshit.

Atmus
Mar 8, 2002
My favorite thing in the original TMNT comics was where Raph tried to get April drunk so she would finally shut up about whatever she was going on about.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Say Nothing posted:

The 80s were strange.
Yes, that is April.

See, if she dyed it ginger and got the sides shaved now, she'd be cool. Or Jem. Same thing.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Jem isn't cool.

She's outrageous.

John Dyne
Jul 3, 2005

Well, fuck. Really?

Ensign_Ricky posted:

Yeah, but those were the Archie Comics version, which was completely batshit.

Amulet one was actually Mirage, I think; Cudley was Archie.

Long and short of it all versions of TMNT have been relatively batshit.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Ghostlight posted:

Jem isn't cool.

She's outrageous.

Truly?

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Truly.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

prefect posted:

Chinese. He was in Vietnam along with Crimson Dynamo and Titanium Man when they formed the Titanic Three.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Gaz-L posted:

See, if she dyed it ginger and got the sides shaved now, she'd be cool. Or Jem. Same thing.

I'm guessing it's a reference to another 80s icon.

poly and open-minded
Nov 22, 2006

In BOD we trust

Binary Badger posted:

Chinese. He was in Vietnam along with Crimson Dynamo and Titanium Man when they formed the Titanic Three.

I wished they called themselves the Communist Crushers.

"No... you see, we're communist so... no! It's the adjective, not the noun!"

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
If there's one thing you can't fault the Turtles for, it's them not being flexible and marketable for all ages and focus groups.
Like I think the original cartoon was running at the same time as the Turtles got hosed up with Donatello becoming half cyborg after falling from a helicopter, Leonardo loving decapitating Shredder, Raphael becoming a gruesome vigilante, and I don't remember what Mikey's deal was.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

He is a party dude.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Binary Badger posted:

I apologize for any racism contained in my post, and assure you it was the product of ignorance and not malice. :blush:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

IUG posted:

Truly.

The Misfits' songs were better :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Jerusalem posted:

The Misfits' songs were better :colbert:

Well yeah. They're the Misfits. And their songs are better.