Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Simulated
Sep 28, 2001
Lowtax giveth, and Lowtax taketh away.
College Slice
me: tr
Xcode: May I suggest TRUE?
me: tru
Xcode: Surely you mean dylib's TRUE macro and not the swift boolean literal.
me: true
Xcode: I knew it! Fixed it for you.
Swift: 'DYLD_BOOL' is not convertible to 'Bool'
Xcode: Man, you suck at this
me: :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lord funk
Feb 16, 2004

me: UIColor *color = [uic
Xcode: I know! UICollectionElementKindSectionFooter!
me: :stare:

Kallikrates
Jul 7, 2002
Pro Lurker
me 99% of the time:

me: tr
Xcode: ...
me: tru
me: true

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
it's a 4 letter word, by the time you react to the autocomplete box that comes up you've finished typing it

I guess you were probably going for that point in a way.

Kallikrates
Jul 7, 2002
Pro Lurker
More like no autocomplete showing/working at all.

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...
It all depends on the file you're currently editing. The more lines of code it has, the more likely the autocomplete is crashing and burning in the background and unable to actually do anything useful for you (besides causing Xcode to crawl and throw random errors at you).

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

To Escape The Shackles Of The Old Forums, We Must Reject The Tribal Negativity He Endorsed
It seems to be more of the size of the target than the size of the current file, since I've had no syntax highlighting/autocomplete on five-line files plenty of times.

Simulated
Sep 28, 2001
College Slice
This code causes swiftc to crash with no error message:
code:
    override var transitioningDelegate: UIViewControllerTransitioningDelegate? {
        get {
            if !UIDevice.isPad && super.transitioningDelegate == nil {
                super.transitioningDelegate = ActionSheetPresentationManager()
            }
            return super.transitioningDelegate
        }
        set {
            super.transitioningDelegate = newValue
        }
    }
This code compiles just fine:
code:
    override var transitioningDelegate: UIViewControllerTransitioningDelegate? {
        get {
            if super.transitioningDelegate == nil && !UIDevice.isPad {
                super.transitioningDelegate = ActionSheetPresentationManager()
            }
            return super.transitioningDelegate
        }
        set {
            super.transitioningDelegate = newValue
        }
    }
I refactored this anyway to set up the transition elsewhere, but I just found it curious.

If any of you kids will be at the watch lab tomorrow I'll see you there.

Simulated fucked around with this message at 09:03 on Apr 6, 2015

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
It's a bug with using super in a closure or auto-closure; no need to file it, it's already fixed internally. (The RHS of a short-circuiting operator is an auto-closure.)

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...
Anyone else use Circle CI / Travis CI for your builds with tests? Getting a lot of hangups and time outs in our Swift solution. Happens in both xcodebuild and xctool and I'm kind of at a loss.

Kallikrates
Jul 7, 2002
Pro Lurker
Xcode webpage says 6.3 is about to land in the app store today.

Toady
Jan 12, 2009

I wonder what, if anything, changed from the most recent beta.

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Just got xcode 6.3 and :pwn:

edit: Heyyyy do I have to always include argument labels, even for the first argument, in extensions and class functions? I have some extension methods where there's only one argument and the meaning of it is obvious, so I would really like to be able to opt out of this.

brap fucked around with this message at 02:08 on Apr 9, 2015

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe

fleshweasel posted:

Ugh.

fleshweasel posted:

edit: Heyyyy do I have to always include argument labels, even for the first argument, in extensions and class functions? I have some extension methods where there's only one argument and the meaning of it is obvious, so I would really like to be able to opt out of this.

Hmm? The first parameter name is never an argument label by default; you have to opt into that with something like func foo(x x : Int) or (equivalently) func foo(#x : Int). If you want to opt a later parameter name out of being an argument label, you give it an explicit argument label of "_", e.g. func foo(x : Int, _ y : Int). But that's the default for the first parameter of a method. (For a non-method, nothing is an argument label by default.)

I personally think this is dumb, and several of us would prefer to make it something more consistent like "all parameter names are argument labels by default", but this is where we are right now for complex political reasons.

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

To Escape The Shackles Of The Old Forums, We Must Reject The Tribal Negativity He Endorsed
Are there non-obj-c reasons for the first argument being different? It makes sense for calling obj-c defined things since you'd need some crazy heuristics to split the method name from the first argument label, but not so much for pure Swift.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.

rjmccall posted:

I personally think this is dumb, and several of us would prefer to make it something more consistent like "all parameter names are argument labels by default", but this is where we are right now for complex political reasons.

Would it be worth filing a radar if I feel strongly about particular default argument label schemes?

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe

Plorkyeran posted:

Are there non-obj-c reasons for the first argument being different? It makes sense for calling obj-c defined things since you'd need some crazy heuristics to split the method name from the first argument label, but not so much for pure Swift.

I'll just innocuously observe that, as you say, ObjC doesn't separate the first argument label from the method name, and C does not label arguments at all.

pokeyman posted:

Would it be worth filing a radar if I feel strongly about particular default argument label schemes?

Absolutely.

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I have some extension methods like Array.any(predicate: T -> Bool) -> Bool which are now demanding I include the predicate: part.

Also, the time it takes my app to deserialize a few hundred objects on an old phone has been cut in half. So thank you Swift team for the speed improvements.
edit: I'm guessing this is in part related to the simplification of my validation process thanks to the new if-let, let, let... feature. So thanks for that too.

edit again: I realized the issue. Functions with optional arguments now require those optional arguments to be labeled whenever they're included. So I can call .any() with no argument and it essentially returns the same value as array.count > 0. Or I can provide a predicate and it will tell me if any of the elements return true for that predicate.

edit once again: Buttttt if that argument happens to be an inline closure I can put it outside the parentheses and not include the label. So I'm sure it's really fun arguing about these rules over there.

brap fucked around with this message at 05:25 on Apr 9, 2015

Simulated
Sep 28, 2001
College Slice
Am I stupid for thinking this should work?

code:
//bad example code removed
Also did I miss a built-in function somewhere for concatenating sequences?

Simulated fucked around with this message at 18:21 on Apr 10, 2015

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
+ ?

dizzywhip
Dec 23, 2005

I upgraded to the App Store version of Xcode 6.3, and the compiler seems to be more strict with initializers now than it was in the beta I was previously using. In my app, it's a common pattern to create NSViewControllers programmatically, so the failability of the designated initializer init?(nibName: String?, bundle: NSBundle?) is inconvenient since I'm not actually loading the view controller from a nib. I have a base view controller class that my other view controllers inherit from, and I was previously able to make a convenient non-failable initializer with the following setup:

code:
public class StandardViewController: NSViewController {
	override public init() {
		super.init()
	}

public convenience init(view: NSView) {
		self.init()
		self.view = view
	}

override private init?(nibName: String?, bundle: NSBundle?) {
		super.init(nibName: nibName, bundle: bundle)
	}

required public init(coder: NSCoder) {
		fatalError("NSCoding not supported.")
	}
}
I can't recall the exact reason for the need of the third private override -- I think adding it prevented a crash I was getting in a previous beta. The important one was the designated init(). In the latest Xcode, that initializer now produces an "Initializer does not override a designated initializer from its superclass" error, which makes sense -- init() isn't a valid initializer for NSViewController, let alone a designated one. Presumably, it was working before because it was finding and overriding NSObject's init(), but I understand that you're only supposed to override initializers from the immediate superclass.

So my question is, is it possible to create a non-failable initializer in an NSViewController subclass? Or more generally, for any class whose superclass has only failable designated initializers? My instinct is that it's not possible, but I'd like to be able to do something like this:

code:
	public init() {
		super.init!(nibName: nil, bundle: nil)
	}
}
Where my initializer would cause a runtime error if the superclass initializer actually did fail. I tried doing this:

code:
	public init!() {
		super.init(nibName: nil, bundle: nil)
	}
}
But that fails with the error "Failable initializer 'init()' cannot override a non-failable initializer". I assume it's conflicting with NSObject's init(), which would be a bug, right?

jawbroken
Aug 13, 2007

messmate king

Not sure about any other issue, because I'm not in a position to test the code, but you shouldn't keep calling next() after it returns nil.

Swift Documentation posted:

mutating func next() -> Element?

Advance to the next element and return it, or nil if no next element exists.

Requires: next() has not been applied to a copy of self since the copy was made, and no preceding call to self.next() has returned nil. Specific implementations of this protocol are encouraged to respond to violations of this requirement by calling preconditionFailure("...").

Simulated
Sep 28, 2001
College Slice
Yeah, ends up I should just be using the + operator anyway.

My question was specifically why the generic constraints fail though. Why can't Array<T> satisfy the SequenceType constraint? Array is a SequenceType and the where constraint should satisfy tiddlyWinks.

code:
func tiddlyWinks<S : SequenceType>(lhs:S, rhs:S)
    -> SequenceOf<S.Generator.Element> {
        return SequenceOf({
            return GeneratorOf({
                return nil
            })
        })
}

extension Array {
    func tiddlyWinks<S : SequenceType where S.Generator.Element == T>(rhs:S) -> SequenceOf<S.Generator.Element> {
        return tiddlyWinks(self, rhs) //ERROR: Will not compile
    }
}

let i = [5,6,7]
let x = [9,1]
tiddlyWinks(i, x)
Even simplifying it down further the error makes no sense. i and x are Arrays, they clearly satisfy the constraint, therefore Array<T> should satisfy it as well. Why does the extension fail to compile?

Simulated fucked around with this message at 18:22 on Apr 10, 2015

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
Your global tiddlyWinks takes two arguments of the same type, and S is not necessarily the same type as Array<T>. If you want it to take sequences of two different types, you will need to write

Swift code:
  func tiddlyWinks<S : SequenceType, T : SequenceType where S.Generator.Element == T.Generator.Element>(lhs:S, rhs:T)
Your only other problem is that, within the Array extension, tiddlyWinks shadows the global declaration, and you will need to refer to the global as TheEnclosingModuleName.tiddlyWinks.

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe

dizzywhip posted:

So my question is, is it possible to create a non-failable initializer in an NSViewController subclass? Or more generally, for any class whose superclass has only failable designated initializers? My instinct is that it's not possible, but I'd like to be able to do something like this:

You should be able to do this, but you can't, because we haven't implemented it yet. Sorry.

King of Gulps
Sep 4, 2003

fleshweasel posted:

I had some SJW <BS> in mine :(

Axiem
Oct 19, 2005

I want to leave my mind blank, but I'm terrified of what will happen if I do
Two questions.

First, if two types are typealiased to the same thing, is there a way to have the compiler show a warning or error if you try matching them? In other words:

code:
typealias TypeA = Int
typealias TypeB = Int
let x = TypeA(1)
let y = TypeB(2)
let z = x + y // <-- I want an error or warning on this line
Doing it without necessarily using a typealias would be okay, but I'm not sure what other options are out there.

As to the why: just because I have two types that are both actually Ints under the hood doesn't mean I think that adding them (or having them interact) is actually sensible. For example, if x represents the number of dollars you have on your body, and y represents the number of goal tokens you've obtained (and defining them as new structs seems odd because in all other ways I want them to work exactly like Ints, and I don't want to have to redefine +, -, etc. for each struct)

Second, is there any way to "peek" inside of a curried function to find out what the bindings were?

To use the example everyone seems to love:

code:
func add(x: Int)(y: Int) -> Int {
    return x + y
}
let add2 = add(2)
Is there any way to query add2 to get the value of x = 2? Especially because if instead of 2, it was a value computed somewhere else.

As to the why: if I'm passing around a curried function, especially one where one of the values was computed elsewhere, it would be nice to be able to get that value so that I could print it out onto the screen, or more importantly, confirm it in a test. That way, I could actually be typealiasing functions as types and passing them around like first-class citizens, but also be able to query them and test them as value objects like first-class citizens.

Simulated
Sep 28, 2001
College Slice

rjmccall posted:

Your global tiddlyWinks takes two arguments of the same type, and S is not necessarily the same type as Array<T>. If you want it to take sequences of two different types, you will need to write

Swift code:
  func tiddlyWinks<S : SequenceType, T : SequenceType where S.Generator.Element == T.Generator.Element>(lhs:S, rhs:T)
Your only other problem is that, within the Array extension, tiddlyWinks shadows the global declaration, and you will need to refer to the global as TheEnclosingModuleName.tiddlyWinks.

The original version did use two separate types but the shadowing makes sense.

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
What was the team's thought process in using "final" on classes and methods to prevent overriding and allowing it by default instead of using "virtual" to allow overriding and preventing it by default?

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

You still need final even with virtual, so it's not really an "instead" thing.

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
Also, non-virtual methods are still overrideable; it's just that the overriding is broken because it isn't polymorphic. There's a core requirement on subtyping that basic semantics aren't supposed to change just because you're using a less specific type. Non-virtual methods break that. That's why final actually forbids overrides instead of just limiting dispatch from considering implementations in further subclasses (which would be perfectly implementable if anybody actually wanted it).

(Now, it's true that, because Swift doesn't have multiple dispatch, programmers can break substitutability by doing evil things with overloading. But that's a problem independent of of subclassing: if overlapping overloads have different semantics, substitutability is broken, and the user should probably be designing their API differently. In contrast, failing to automatically dispatch to the subclass's implementation is much more of a basic language failure.)

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...

King of Gulps posted:

I had some SJW <BS> in mine :(

This was pretty funny :respek:

Simulated
Sep 28, 2001
College Slice
swiftc is written in C++... is there any reason that it doesn't catch exceptions and bail on processing a section of code (or a file) if it blows up? I find so many instances on a daily basis where I get the SourceKit crash because I'm modifying a piece of code and the syntax is temporarily invalid or nonsensical, or the types are jacked up for a moment while I fix it (It seems especially sensitive with generic types).

To whoever on the Xcode team added the "Report a bug" link... So close, yet so far... I have to open console and find the bug report myself then upload it via the website. I just re-typed a bug report four times due to accidentally dropping crash reports in the wrong location, causing Safari to helpfully open the crash report and thanks to the design of bugreport.apple.com all my entered data was wiped (sorry bub, I don't auto-save until some arbitrary time limit has passed; not like we can afford some servers around here and do fancy stuff like saving every 5 seconds. Who do you think we are, the SomethingAwful forums?).

Oh and did you know if you try to upload more than 5-6 files bugreport.apple.com helpfully removes the "attach file" button, causing the next file drop to again open the crash report in Safari and wipe everything that was entered in the form?

Every step in the process screams "don't file bug reports, give up, go away"

Bug report was eventually filed because I refuse to be defeated by a computer :colbert:

edit: I know I complain a lot but I'm actually really enjoying writing swift code and the 1.2 updates have been really nice.

Simulated fucked around with this message at 23:03 on Apr 19, 2015

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
I'm not sure what you think would happen if SourceKit "handled" "exceptions" from the Swift compiler except something strictly equivalent to SourceKit crashes. I mean, Swift is asserting on your code, either that or crashing downstream of a !NDEBUG assertion; and it's being run in a subprocess of Xcode, and Xcode is reporting that its subprocess crashed. The fix is clearly to not trigger the assertion, or the invalid state behind it; short of that, I'm not sure what other recovery you think would be better, except maybe not using the word "crash" when reporting the problem, or not reporting the problem at all.

Simulated
Sep 28, 2001
College Slice

rjmccall posted:

I'm not sure what you think would happen if SourceKit "handled" "exceptions" from the Swift compiler except something strictly equivalent to SourceKit crashes. I mean, Swift is asserting on your code, either that or crashing downstream of a !NDEBUG assertion; and it's being run in a subprocess of Xcode, and Xcode is reporting that its subprocess crashed. The fix is clearly to not trigger the assertion, or the invalid state behind it; short of that, I'm not sure what other recovery you think would be better, except maybe not using the word "crash" when reporting the problem, or not reporting the problem at all.

I was more curious than anything... when you know the current invocation doesn't necessarily need to produce SIL/LLVM IR because it's for use by the IDE why not just catch the assertion and see if you can continue to make forward progress? That means a red issue indicator instead of complete loss of any interesting IDE functionality. The huge assumption is it would even be possible to basically skip part of the AST (or automatically infer closing braces and so on) and still do something sensible, which may be way off-base... I'm not a compiler writer, I'm just going off what I've seen other compilers do with some seriously mangled syntax or byzantine constructions while still emitting at least some half-assed "sorry I saw dragons inside those braces, fix whatever you broke" instead of crashing.

Big thumbs-up to the Xcode team (or interns?) for SourceKit being an extension though; despite the crashes I don't think I've ever lost a single line of Swift code even during beta.

Separate question: Have you seen this before:

code:
(lldb) po self
error: <EXPR>:1:1: error: use of unresolved identifier 'self'
self
^
(lldb) 
This is a 100% swift project. The variables window in Xcode sees self just fine but the lldb window refuses (along with refusing any form of autocomplete). I've done a full clean, nuked derived data, nuked my lldbinit just in case, etc.

I don't even know how to start writing up a bug report on something like this. It would (quite rightly) get immediately poo poo-canned as vague and useless.

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
It's probably something about the function you're stopped in that's terminally confusing LLDB's expression parser. If you can extract just it out to a standalone project, it might still happen.

Simulated
Sep 28, 2001
College Slice
Any reason not to allow binding in a conditional even if not optional, so long as a where condition is included? It would save having to declare a useless temporary ahead of the conditional.

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
We're looking into a major generalization of that syntax, actually.

lord funk
Feb 16, 2004

Hey congrats on being the 'most loved' language on the Stack Overflow survey.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
I love that survey. Silly internet methodology aside, the "most loved" gloss is an insane misrepresentation of the original question asked of the survey-takers.

• Locked thread