Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
zoux
Apr 28, 2006

The showrunners go over their rules for Russian.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

Sober posted:

The only true threat her parents could make was "if you tell anyone this, we're gone and you're orphans forever, at best". They know Paige is pretty mature for her age so she should eventually come around to the fact that keeping quiet is in everyone's best interests, at least until she turns 18 (unless they're gonna set up some emancipation storyline for her next season).

directorate S would kill the kids before losing their assets to the FBI who would interrogate them and meticulously search their home, business, phone records, etc., and interview all their acquaintances

Arzakon
Nov 24, 2002

"I hereby retire from Mafia"
Please turbo me if you catch me in a game.
"We are activists for Glorious Mother Russia who hates war and loves kittens but if you tell Stan they will kill you in your sleep. Want to work for us? You'll get to kill people and gently caress a lot of strange men."

I don't think that's a very good sell and I like how Phil and Liz aren't getting into exactly how terrible being a spy is. I don't think we will ever see Paige fully looped into her parent's activities.

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

I had the opportunity to change literally anything about the world and I used it to get a new av

Arzakon posted:

"We are activists for Glorious Mother Russia who hates war and loves kittens but if you tell Stan they will kill you in your sleep. Want to work for us? You'll get to kill people and gently caress a lot of strange men."

I don't think that's a very good sell and I like how Phil and Liz aren't getting into exactly how terrible being a spy is. I don't think we will ever see Paige fully looped into her parent's activities.

I don't think she's meant to run around killing people and banging strangers. The whole point of a US born operative is to get them into a place of influence which would mean keeping her pretty far from all the risks Phil and Liz are exposed to.

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

So what do you want to be called?

Rad Lieutenant posted:

I don't think she's meant to run around killing people and banging strangers. The whole point of a US born operative is to get them into a place of influence which would mean keeping her pretty far from all the risks Phil and Liz are exposed to.

They actually brought this up at the beginning of the season. Philip wasn't buying the "free from danger" line because he knew that the Center could change the situation at any time.

They clearly intend to give the second generation illegals at least a pared down version of the training that Philip and Liz received. Jared knew enough tradecraft to kill his family and completely divert suspicion away from himself. Plus, he ended up dead purely because of his association with the KGB, so it's not like a corner office at the CIA would keep Paige away from the risks of the job.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

The show has repeatedly shown that even "low danger" assets like Martha could be murdered at the drop of a literal hat. The conversation with Claudia at the end of last year hinted that they don't want Paige to replace Phillip or Elizabeth - they just want to use her natural born american status to clear some serious security hurdles.

cenotaph
Mar 2, 2013

I had this weird dream last night where I could part my hair to look like Clark and could do a good Clark impression that people thought was funny. It was very bizarre.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

JohnSherman posted:

They actually brought this up at the beginning of the season. Philip wasn't buying the "free from danger" line because he knew that the Center could change the situation at any time.

Yeah, I don't think there's really any guarantee Center could give Philip and Elizabeth about Paige that they wouldn't have to believe would be thrown out the window the second the Motherland absolutely needed something Paige could do for them -- all assets are expendable for the cause. The funny thing is that they themselves are put in danger constantly, and presumably if either one of them had their cover blown that would put Paige in a very, very bad position too if she had any kind of security clearance. They haven't said anything about that on the show, but either she's more important than them, in which case you'd think they'd have to retire to maintain her cover, or they're more important than her, in which case Philip should have been able to get his way on this.

tomapot
Apr 7, 2005
Suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.
Oven Wrangler

DarklyDreaming posted:

Holy poo poo they're doing it :staredog:

JohnSherman posted:

Oh gently caress it';s happening

I clicked on this thread by mistake before I had a chance to watch the episode and thought these posts were Kimmie related.

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki
@TheAmericansFX 11h11 hours ago

"Page knows." What will the truth bring? Watch a preview of tomorrow's all-new episode of #TheAmericans http://bit.ly/1CRBlAT

https://twitter.com/TheAmericansFX/status/585511138420482050

Eh, close enough, I guess.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Turns out Paige has been working for Stan the whole time. Liz and Phil's entire house is bugged.

Also, Martha is a Chinese spy working against the Russians.

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

Gonz posted:

Turns out Paige has been working for Stan the whole time. Liz and Phil's entire house is bugged.

Also, Martha is a Chinese spy working against the Russians.

Kimmie is a counter spy trying to seduce phil into statutory rape

TheAngryDrunk
Jan 31, 2003

"I don't know why I know that; I took four years of Spanish."
Philip is lucky this show doesn't take place in present day. He'd have to worry about whether or not Kimmie is working for "To Catch a Predator."

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary
Paige layin' down the sass

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
Phil much more open.

Fetus Tree
Feb 2, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
Paige sucks

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
Gaad is going to go down for it. :ohdear:

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
Right into the trap.

Brock Samson
May 13, 2003

I let you know me, see me. I gave you a rare gift, but you didn't want it.

He's a dead man.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
Don't you call Eddie Murphy stupid.

*applies to 1980s version only.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Awww, Mommy daughter bonding :3:

And then Paige goes and cuts Elizabeth's knees off.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!

howe_sam posted:

Awww, Mommy daughter bonding :3:

Or not...

That's brutal, Paige.

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

So what do you want to be called?

Zero One posted:

That's brutal, Paige.

It's definitely earned.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
What is Nina's objective again?

The guy seems to be doing the work and just waiting on pictures of the B-2.

Branis
Apr 14, 2006
They think he is intentionally delaying the work and they want her to figure it out.

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary
Phil has had it up to here with your bullshit

LostRook
Jun 7, 2013
Why is Elizabeth suddenly apprehensive about sleeping with people?

Fetus Tree
Feb 2, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
She's pregnant

grrarg
Feb 14, 2011

Don't lose your head over it.

LostRook posted:

She has real feelings for Phil now plus the whole Paige situation. When she came home that late, I expected Paige to be waiting up for her. "Where have you been?" Awkward.

Is it confirmed that Margo Martindale is appearing this season? I wonder if she will come back as their handler if Philip ends up killing Gabriel.

Branis
Apr 14, 2006
I keep hoping that she comes around and the whole family disappear and live happily ever after like Phil wanted to do in season 1.

LostRook
Jun 7, 2013

grrarg posted:

Is it confirmed that Margo Martindale is appearing this season? I wonder if she will come back as their handler if Philip ends up killing Gabriel.

The preview definitely confirmed she is coming back.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

LostRook posted:

What I took from it is that she realizes that her life now potentially could be Paige's. Paige won't be snapping any bones and fitting people into suitcases, but the Center could instruct her to start affairs with superiors or people with important info, etc. I think she finally 'gets' that Paige no longer has a life that'll be her own.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
MailBot is a filthy traitor and should be executed via EMP.

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine
But however did they buy her off?!

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki
Beeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeep.

Did we know Martha's last name before? If not (really, regardless), that's a very amusing choice.

Stellar Curiosity
Jan 15, 2009

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Fetus Tree posted:

She's pregnant

And ruin that smoking milf bod? How dare you!

Fetus Tree
Feb 2, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!

Rocksicles posted:

And ruin that smoking milf bod? How dare you!

How do you think she became a milf dude. she's gonna get even hotter. thats how milf math works.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Mailbot is the best part of the show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.
Needs a buddy spy spinoff with Oleg, Stan and Mailbot.

• Locked thread