Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mad Dragon
Feb 29, 2004

Laranzu posted:

Just like the E6 and below spend theirs on hookers and beer.
And car payments on that sweet Bimmer/Camero/Raptor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Always gotta pay it forward.

poopkitty posted:

If you thought the fundraisers went to uniforms you were sadly mistaken.

FWIW this is a pretty common belief. And I've not seen Chiefs go out of their way to disabuse people of said belief.

Arione
Aug 19, 2013

by Athanatos

Mad Dragon posted:

And car payments on that sweet Bimmer/Camero/Raptor.

its actually a porsche...

Mad Dragon
Feb 29, 2004

Arione posted:

its actually a porsche...
I got a killer deal on a used 911. No money down and no payments for 6 months!!! The car's like a million years old, so it can't be that expensive. Right?

Arione
Aug 19, 2013

by Athanatos

Mad Dragon posted:

I got a killer deal on a used 911. No money down and no payments for 6 months!!! The car's like a million years old, so it can't be that expensive. Right?
- REDACTED-

Arione fucked around with this message at 06:50 on Apr 9, 2015

Fart Sandwiches
Apr 4, 2006

i never asked for this
Well what are those fundraisers funding?

Null Integer
Mar 1, 2006

A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject.

Fart Sandwiches posted:

Hazing, and boiled eggs.

SpaceJustice
Jan 4, 2010

Fart Sandwiches posted:

I always thought that they went towards covering the cost of the pinning ceremony.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
The fundraisers all go into mess funds. You're providing alcohol for chief parties.

Also I think the difference in uniform allowances all comes down to the hat. Men have to buy a combo cover. Women just have to buy a khaki top and the anchor so they save at least $70 on that alone. Addtionally, their dress blues translate over but I'm sure the quality of the boot camp issued dress blues aren't at all what they expect the Chiefs to wear.

Red Crown
Oct 20, 2008

Pretend my finger's a knife.
Newport question: If I'm flying in to OCS the day before my class convenes, am I on the hook for lodging the night before? My orders say no, my recruiter gave me a non-answer, the website says yes.

Sir Lucius
Aug 3, 2003

Mr. Nice! posted:

The fundraisers all go into mess funds. You're providing alcohol for chief parties.

One of the reasons I never donate to anything. Want to have a dumb party? The people going to it should pay for it. "We can make the Navy day Ball better if you buy these donuts!" I'm not going, why should I care? Just make ticket prices based on paygrade to cover any costs.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
My only contribution to the mess was when a few of us poker players from the wardroom would go down there to play cards. The look on the XO's face when our CSO answered the door to the chief's mess was great. He really didn't give a poo poo, but advised that a chief should probably answer. I think one of the selects got chewed out for that in the end.

Anyways, there was a donation required to play so I pitched in. Then the CMC never actually paid out any of the winnings that the wardroom won and took off with about $350 of our money when he was air-lifted off the ship a couple days later. When we were lined up to pipe him off and he walked by to shake everyone's hands, he whispered in my ear "I still got your money" and left. gently caress that guy.

Sir Lucius
Aug 3, 2003
Keelhaul all khakis

Fart Sandwiches
Apr 4, 2006

i never asked for this

Mr. Nice! posted:

My favorite thing to do at Ft. Meade during chief season was to let them pump my gas and wash my car and then not give them money. When they demanded to know who my chief was I just yolo'd and drove away. Suck my dick I'll never give them any money.

Sir Lucius
Aug 3, 2003
They do that here? I've never seen them do Cheif carwashes.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
Oh yeah I've seen car washes, pizza sales, bake sales, burrito sales, and all sorts of poo poo. Bilking junior sailors for chief drinking money is a time honored tradition.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
Speaking of bilking junior sailors for money, a former BMC that SPACE HOMOS and I know was kicked out of the mess because he was borrowing money from E4s and below in port calls so his wife wouldn't know what he was spending. Then he never paid them back and did everything he could to keep them from reporting. Luckily the BM1 there knew he was a piece of poo poo (he really was) and took care of it when it came to his attention.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

Red Crown posted:

Newport question: If I'm flying in to OCS the day before my class convenes, am I on the hook for lodging the night before? My orders say no, my recruiter gave me a non-answer, the website says yes.

I'm almost positive that you do get reimbursed. Especially if your orders say so.

Also, if there's no room on base, don't stay at the Pineapple Inn out in town.

Wingnut Ninja fucked around with this message at 15:50 on Apr 9, 2015

Howard Phillips
May 4, 2008

His smile; it shines in the darkest of depths. There is hope yet.

Red Crown posted:

Just save you receipt. Pineapple Inn is cheap but a poo poo hole. You can stay at the chalet on base. It's right across from the parking lot on the "island" part of Newport. Next to the bridge. They should have a room. You will pay with your credit card but get re-imbursed. Make sure to call OCS ahead of time to ask about transportation from airport to OCS. Chances are they won't have a duty drive, but maybe if there is a lot of you guys coming in then they might.

You're going to Newport at the best time of the year. By the time you're a senior candidate and can go out in town the weather will be amazing and you will enjoy it. OCS sucks but just don't forget that it's a game. Didn't go to OCS myself but when I was at NAPS I saw them a lot and interacted with graduates, senior candidates, and drop outs a lot. People drop out because they can't see beyond the training environment. So be wary of that.

I'm prior E now officer. Being an officer has broadened my military experience and I'm happier for it. It's different but you will get more exposure to the mission and the big picture stuff which personally I have enjoyed. Less camaraderie and interaction with the guys though, but that's the tradeoff.

Good luck!

Fart Sandwiches
Apr 4, 2006

i never asked for this

Sir Lucius posted:

They do that here? I've never seen them do Cheif carwashes.

At the base gas station right across from the exchange and commissary is where I always did it. It's been nearly 4 years since I was there so who knows if they still bother.

Sir Lucius
Aug 3, 2003
Yea, that gas station regularly has people shilling window cleaner and other bullshit, but I always assumed those companies paid to do it.

SpaceJustice
Jan 4, 2010

Mr. Nice! posted:

Oh yeah I've seen car washes, pizza sales, bake sales, burrito sales, and all sorts of poo poo. Bilking junior sailors for chief drinking money is a time honored tradition.

When I was a student at prototype in New York I pissed off a lot of the selectees by walking past their burger sale and buying a burger at the cafe instead. It was actually a little surprising how upset they got.

Red Crown
Oct 20, 2008

Pretend my finger's a knife.

Wingnut Ninja posted:

I'm almost positive that you do get reimbursed. Especially if your orders say so.

Also, if there's no room on base, don't stay at the Pineapple Inn out in town.

Thanks. There's space available, so at least I won't be sleeping in a dumpster the night before. It'll be crappy, but I've got my dream designator waiting for me on the other side so it ain't nothin' but a thing. I'll be back sperging about LCS in three months or so.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

SpaceJustice posted:

When I was a student at prototype in New York I pissed off a lot of the selectees by walking past their burger sale and buying a burger at the cafe instead. It was actually a little surprising how upset they got.

Because they have a ration of poo poo hailing down on them from the mess that they have to get as much as possible.

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

SpaceJustice posted:

All the chicken selects I met in the nuke pipeline were surprisingly relaxed as they had not been fixed yet. Plus training at MARF was a collective misery that seemed to make things a bit more laid back.

The poo poo they got into at Kingsbay on the other hand. Saw a little obstacle course set up with fog machines and firetrucks that we were threatened to stay the gently caress away from

Kawasaki Nun fucked around with this message at 20:02 on Apr 9, 2015

Sir Lucius
Aug 3, 2003
Practiced my prt run after 6 months of doing no pt. Passed with a good. Bring on the real thing!

SpaceJustice
Jan 4, 2010

Kawasaki Nun posted:

All the chicken selects I met in the nuke pipeline were surprisingly relaxed as they had not been fixed yet. Plus training at MARF was a collective misery that seemed to make things a bit more laid back.

The poo poo they got into at Kingsbay on the other hand. Saw a little obstacle course set up with fog machines and firetrucks that we were threatened to stay the gently caress away from

I guess it varies year to year. On the plus side, after qualifying at MARF qualifying in the fleet was a breeze. It's amazing how much simpler everything was when people would actually give checkouts.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Sir Lucius posted:

Practiced my prt run after 6 months of doing no pt. Passed with a good. Bring on the real thing!

How'd you like that humidity? This place is awful and its only April.

Arione
Aug 19, 2013

by Athanatos

LingcodKilla posted:

at cory they made us run the PRT at like loving 0400 because they thought people would literally drown from the humidity if they ran us any later.

CMD598
Apr 12, 2013

LingcodKilla posted:

When I was down there we did all our big runs so early that I wasn't even hungover yet.

krispykremessuck
Jul 22, 2005

unlike most veterans and SA members $10 is not a meaningful expenditure for me

I'm gonna have me a swag Bar-B-Q

LingcodKilla posted:

Ok how are the areas withing an hour of the major naval yards and bases? I was looking at Port Orchard as possible place to relocate but something closer to Seattle seemed decent. Bear in mind I'm from the Bay Area CA so traffic is not a big deal.

Silverdale/Port Orchard/Illahee/Brownsville/Keyport/Poulsbo are nice places to live. Do not live in west Bremerton, or East Bremerton. There's kind of an ok area between Silverdale and Bremerton named Tracyton. Manette is ok within Bremerton as well, I guess. If you are ok with living further out of town, Seabeck, Allyn, Olalla and areas around that. I grew up in the area and hate Port Orchard for irrational reasons so I pretty much think that place loving sucks no matter what. I live on Bainbridge but wish I lived in Kingston, so... There's some areas.

If you want to end up in Everett for some reason, Edmonds or Mukilteo would be cool. Whidbey is nice no matter where you go. Indian Island is next to Port Townsend which is nice. Am I missing anything?

Anyway -- traffic on the Kitsap side is, indeed, not a big deal. If you have to spend any time on I5 in Seattle or I90 in Seattle ... well, you're going to regret it. Commuting via ferry isn't bad. When I was still in the CG I rode to Seattle every day, and back.

Bangor or Keyport are the bases to be at. I guess NAS Whidbey is probably alright though. Everything else sucks. When I said immediate vicinity, by the way, I meant like within 2 miles of PSNS. Excluding Manette, specifically.

Red Crown posted:

It's your travel day, you should be reimbursed the lodging / 75% of the daily meal rate.

Dingleberry
Aug 21, 2011
[quote="krispykremessuck" post="""]

If you want to end up in Everett for some reason, Edmonds or Mukilteo would be cool. Whidbey is nice no matter where you go. Indian Island is next to Port Townsend which is nice. Am I missing anything?

Anyway -- traffic on the Kitsap side is, indeed, not a big deal. If you have to spend any time on I5 in Seattle or I90 in Seattle ... well, you're going to regret it. Commuting via ferry isn't bad. When I was still in the CG I rode to Seattle every day, and back.

Bangor or Keyport are the bases to be at. I guess NAS Whidbey is probably alright though. Everything else sucks.
[/quote]

Avoid Marysville, it sucks but seems popular for many stationed in Everett.
Avoid South Everett and Lynnwood.
Mill Creek ain't bad.
Lake Steven is suburb-ey but okay too.
If you end up on Whidbey, Anacortes is a great place to live, gets you away from so many sailors, and is like 25 minutes from the NAS.

MancXVI
Feb 14, 2002

Anacortes gets you a little away from the base but not closer to anything else. Hope you like driving an hour to get anywhere that isn't Whidbey Island.

That being said, Port Townsend is neat and just a ferry ride away

Dingleberry
Aug 21, 2011

MancXVI posted:

Anacortes gets you a little away from the base but not closer to anything else. Hope you like driving an hour to get anywhere that isn't Whidbey Island.

That being said, Port Townsend is neat and just a ferry ride away

Bellingham.

Universities and colleges.
Several nursing programs and lotsa female students. Good places to eat, some decent nightlife.
About 35-45 minutes from Anacortes...

Sir Lucius
Aug 3, 2003

LingcodKilla posted:

When I was down there I never really had a problem with the humidity, but I was also there in the winter. April was when I graduated from JCAC, and I remember everything being extremely hazy when I left.

MancXVI
Feb 14, 2002

Dingleberry posted:

Bellingham.

Universities and colleges.
Several nursing programs and lotsa female students. Good places to eat, some decent nightlife.
About 35-45 minutes from Anacortes...

edit: forgot geography

seconded re: Bellingham being cool

Cerekk
Sep 24, 2004

Oh my god, JC!
Poulsbo is an awesome small town if you're at Bangor or Bremerton.

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

The only decent thing about being in PSNS Shipyard for 9 months was waking up at my apartment in Silverdale to a gorgeous view of Mt. Rainier over the water.

Don't live in Everett. If you find yourself stationed in Everett, south of 128th St or North of Marysville should be your targets. Your commute is going to be less than ideal, but you moved to Seattle, deal with it.

e: Just saw the Bay Area bit, yeah its nothing like that. You aren't going to see traffic like that unless you are trying to drive into downtown Seattle/Renton/Tacoma during rush hour. Also, another plus to living around Everett, everyone assumes you work for Boeing and half the people don't even realize there is a Navy Base there unless they actually work there.

SquirrelyPSU fucked around with this message at 10:24 on Apr 10, 2015

Dingleberry
Aug 21, 2011

MancXVI posted:

edit: forgot geography

seconded re: Bellingham being cool

Mukilteo is pretty sweet if you end up at NAVSTA Everett.
Not much going on but convenient, relatively quiet, and a hop and a skip to Seattle. It's bikeable to NAVSTA too.
I'd recommend staying at the BEQ/Nav Lodge and really checking places out for a good two weeks.
Oh, MT Vernon has a certain charm to it. Reminds me of old eastern canal towns. It's about 30 minutes north of Everett and traffic is always light.

Edit added:
If you end up at NASWI or Everett and need any info/specifics, you can PM me.
I live on Whidbey now, as a civilian mariner(for the Army of all things) but work outta town.

Dingleberry fucked around with this message at 17:30 on Apr 10, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anita Dickinme
Jan 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
I have a question about my A-school; it's in Pensacola, Florida for ABE. What will my living conditions be? Will I be staying in a barracks with dozens of other people or will I have a dorm type thing or can I stay with a friend?

• Locked thread