Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Penultimatum
Apr 2, 2010

Furnaceface posted:

This would own, especially if I can recreate Habitat 67. :v:

Seeing that, it'd actually be really cool if there was a mod that procedurally combined smaller prefab units to make a building, like how Habitat 67 is designed. I don't know whether the engine supports that, though.

In searching for procedural buildings I found this page which apparently has a program for creating building models procedurally from photographs - it'd be really cool if someone could figure out how to use that to make buildings for Skylines

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

Let's get a little crazy. Let's have some fun.

Moridin920 posted:

Is that the person who goes around to different building mods and posts a side by side comparison shot of all the modded buildings and is angry about how they aren't all to scale with each other? lol at that guy.
Spergs gotta sperg.

RadioDog
May 31, 2005
Can you delete your installed mods by just finding the directory they're saved in? Or do you have to unsubscribe to each ... and ... every ... one.

Elukka
Feb 18, 2011

For All Mankind

Domattee posted:

Kinda? It's going to lose at least a couple hundred polys as is but a lot of the detail is repeating stuff that will have to happen either to the entire building or not at all, so I have to check how bad the difference is in-game.
It's nothing outlandish even now. The example 4x4 low density building by one of the devs is 1866 tris. (important to note the difference between tris and polygons here, though)

e: Also, we should go to the modding thread for more technical talk.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

meatsaw posted:

Can you delete your installed mods by just finding the directory they're saved in? Or do you have to unsubscribe to each ... and ... every ... one.

You can delete them that way but I'm pretty sure if you don't unsub to them Steam will just reinstall them next time you launch the game.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bvhYbOyS9Wg

Here's that amazing traffic light and intersection manager mod. Can't wait.

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

Let's get a little crazy. Let's have some fun.

Baronjutter posted:

Yesssss. Basically that has been the main thing bugging me.

I sort of hope, once they're done with the tunnels/frontages update, CO look at some of the better designed mods and implement some of them natively.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Moridin920 posted:

Is that the person who goes around to different building mods and posts a side by side comparison shot of all the modded buildings and is angry about how they aren't all to scale with each other? lol at that guy.

Show him this:

Subyng
May 4, 2013
Holy crap that's awesome.

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.
Yugoslavian style? Of course not.
It has to be Zlatan-style.

How can you even tell what size the stupid massive buildings are? I'd love to unsubscribe to all the big bloated 70mb ones but I can't figure out how to determine which are big and which are not made by hi-res hi-poly spergs

Hubis
May 18, 2003

Boy, I wish we had one of those doomsday machines...

Baronjutter posted:

God that looks perfect. Here's hoping it doesn't gently caress the AI/gameplay six ways to Sunday and/or is made by someone who insists on inserting Oblivion Gates into your cities

Longbaugh01
Jul 13, 2001

"Surprise, muthafucka."

Bogan Krkic posted:

How can you even tell what size the stupid massive buildings are? I'd love to unsubscribe to all the big bloated 70mb ones but I can't figure out how to determine which are big and which are not made by hi-res hi-poly spergs

From what people said earlier in the thread, even the large physical sized buildings shouldn't be above 10 MB in size, Unless I misunderstood, but in culling my own subscriptions I found plenty of skyscrapers I kept because they were 10 MB or under.

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.

Longbaugh01 posted:

From what people said earlier in the thread, even the large physical sized buildings shouldn't be above 10 MB in size, Unless I misunderstood, but in culling my own subscriptions I found plenty of skyscrapers I kept because they were 10 MB or under.

Sure but how do I even determine the file size, do I have to go through the files themselves rather than on steam and if so where are they kept

Domattee
Mar 5, 2012

Bogan Krkic posted:

Building size has almost no impact (if any) on file size whatsoever, and poly count is usually negligible compared to textures, 70MB is uncompressed 8k by 8k textures or something moronic like that.

Is there a tool that can open .crp yet? A lot of the stupid-large assets could probably be fixed by just opening and saving them in GIMP or something.

Longbaugh01
Jul 13, 2001

"Surprise, muthafucka."

Bogan Krkic posted:

Sure but how do I even determine the file size, do I have to go through the files themselves rather than on steam and if so where are they kept

It's listed on Steam for each asset/mod at the top right.

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.

Longbaugh01 posted:

It's listed on Steam for each asset/mod at the top right.

I knew I was missing it somewhere, thanks

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

Moridin920 posted:

You can delete them that way but I'm pretty sure if you don't unsub to them Steam will just reinstall them next time you launch the game.

You can actually unsub from right in the game's own startup menu.

Longbaugh01
Jul 13, 2001

"Surprise, muthafucka."

Hunter Noventa posted:

You can actually unsub from right in the game's own startup menu.

I don't know about your install, but that menu on mine is painfully slow for unsubscribing to a bunch of things. Even with that improved asset menu mod. It was much, much, quicker to go through Steam, and I don't think even the improved assets menu shows the size right there.

Easiest way I found was to go to your subs, filter building, then go through all (250 or so for me) subs and see which ones are too big file wise. Maybe there's an easier way, but I couldn't think of it.

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

Baronjutter posted:

I will jump on this mod as soon as it is released, setting traffic priority and turning lanes probably should have been a built-in feature. Light-timing looks like :effort:, though. What would be great is if you could just select a string of intersections in a row and have the game compute the optimal synchronization for you. Or the way it works in my hometown, where the lights are fed information from sensors under the pavement.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Bel Monte posted:

My rule of thumb is 10mb or more boots you out the door.

Is there an easy way to tell the size of workshop items? EDIT: answered, it seems.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 05:10 on Apr 9, 2015

wit
Jul 26, 2011

Enos Shenk posted:

People keep whining on my building workshop pages about them not being real-world scale. Guess what, dipshits, nothing in the game is real-world scale. And I'm not a sperg, so I model buildings to fit the style and look good.

This lead to someone linking in a comment to some thread on Paradox forums where he posted a whole pile of custom buildings where he had compiled the real-world height of each and determined if they needed to be scaled up or down. And he mentioned a model of the Burj on the Workshop clocks in at 100mb.

One hundred cocksucking megabytes. For one building. And the failure that made it showed up to defend it in broken english.

Jesus.

Oh wow, can this conversation be moved into the mod thread? Not because I think its going anywhere different its just I didnt see ridiculous mod drama happing so fast, normally takes years to surface. Lets savour every drop.

The Sean
Apr 17, 2005

Am I handsome now?

With the thread title being "you should purchase this game, you won't regret this" I'm pretty sad. I own a Venue 8 pro and a Dell laptop--both of which are under the min. system requirements--so I imagine that I won't be able to run this game, meaning I will regret the purchase. :( Also, Intel Integrated Graphics aren't supported, so I guess even if my processors were faster I still would be hosed.

Even though the game looks pretty, I'm surprised that a city building game is intense enough that my lame computers can't run it. Has anyone had luck with running the game on a less-than-optimal system?

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

VostokProgram posted:

I will jump on this mod as soon as it is released, setting traffic priority and turning lanes probably should have been a built-in feature

Amen, that's my #1 most wanted feature with a bullet.

Bel Monte
Oct 9, 2012
I'm glad my rule for file size is helping people out.
It's sort of just a rough guide though, so if you really must have a 15mb building go for it. I have no doubt large complex Frank Gehry buildings in the future will have to be like 15mb. I just think it's better to wait for the good buildings to come later, because there's no good reason why a simple box is 20mb.

What gets me are buildings that are just so plain and basic are so bloated. Makes me half tempted to learn how to just do texture edits so I can upload optimized versions of everyone's creations. But that'd start something and I'm not sure I'm ready for it.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I have a feeling a lot of the bloated buildings are from either first-time modelers who don't understand less is more when it comes to real-time rendering assets for a game, or SC4 modelers who once again have zero experience rendering in real time and come from a world where people would brag about how long their building took to render.

Jintor
May 19, 2014

Have they fixed the growable asset bug yet? I think it was something like only a limited number of growables were actually popping up in-game.

PoizenJam
Dec 2, 2006

Damn!!!
It's PoizenJam!!!
Where the heck are the downloaded workshop mods stored on the harddrive? I can't find them in Documents, AppData, or the Steam folder.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Poizen Jam posted:

Where the heck are the downloaded workshop mods stored on the harddrive? I can't find them in Documents, AppData, or the Steam folder.

They should be in the Steam folder: Steam\steamapps\workshop\content

There should be numbered folders in there, those correspond to games (so for example my Cities Skylines folder in there is '255710'), and all your mods should be in that folder. I'm pretty sure the numbers are the app ID of the game in Steam so your folder should be 255710, too.

Moridin920 fucked around with this message at 07:44 on Apr 9, 2015

Longbaugh01
Jul 13, 2001

"Surprise, muthafucka."

The Sean posted:

Also, Intel Integrated Graphics aren't supported, so I guess even if my processors were faster I still would be hosed.

Even though the game looks pretty, I'm surprised that a city building game is intense enough that my lame computers can't run it. Has anyone had luck with running the game on a less-than-optimal system?

I'm able to run it at variably terrible framerates with an Intel Integrated hd 4400 on an i3 3140.

Though It totally failed on a Toshiba laptop using an original intel integrated hd.

Longbaugh01 fucked around with this message at 08:34 on Apr 9, 2015

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

I think I have more fun with the map editor than I do the actual game.

uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!

VostokProgram posted:

I will jump on this mod as soon as it is released, setting traffic priority and turning lanes probably should have been a built-in feature. Light-timing looks like :effort:, though. What would be great is if you could just select a string of intersections in a row and have the game compute the optimal synchronization for you. Or the way it works in my hometown, where the lights are fed information from sensors under the pavement.

It just looks totally amazing, both the mod itself and the fact that it seems so easy to put into the game.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

I hooked up Dirtopia's highway connection to a cargo harbor.

It did not go well.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Fish Fry Andy posted:

I think I have more fun with the map editor than I do the actual game.
That looks really nice.

SynthOrange posted:

I hooked up Dirtopia's highway connection to a cargo harbor.

It did not go well.
This however looks really bad. What in the world were you expecting would happen? Pave that poo poo all the way through, add lots of on and off ramps and several bridges to get across or something. :killdozer:

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Poil posted:

This however looks really bad. What in the world were you expecting would happen? Pave that poo poo all the way through, add lots of on and off ramps and several bridges to get across or something. :killdozer:
That would ruin the gimmick somewhat, no?

circ dick soleil
Sep 27, 2012

by zen death robot
Someone should make a gun mod for this game.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Tunga posted:

Exactly. The city deals fine with the cargo train because I'm able to run it right into the heart of the industrial center. The harbor will need something similar if it isnt to clog up the highway.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Tunga posted:

I suppose so. But my inner sperg screams so about inefficient roads.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

SynthOrange posted:

Exactly. The city deals fine with the cargo train because I'm able to run it right into the heart of the industrial center. The harbor will need something similar if it isnt to clog up the highway.
Dedicated dirt highway!

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

circ dick soleil posted:

Someone should make a gun mod for this game.
Someone should make a gun mod for your posting hand, pointing at the palm.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

I built a cargo train station with a huge six lane roundabout connected by ramps to two highways in the middle of nowhere and the travel time calculation still brings a fair bit of traffic to it from the industrial areas. It's relieved pressure from the two cargo stations in the city itself, and I can build a huge fuckoff industrial zone there when I get around to it.

Bonus picture:

Only when I'd built that huge highway bridge from the back to the huge roundabout in the middle did I wake up and go "Man, this is a bit of a mess." To be fair there's a fair few ramps and poo poo that can be culled.

I also wish the pedestrian pathways didn't look like a gray space spider is stalking the city but they're so useful! Thanks to them and the public transit system the university generates negligible traffic and I only need one in the entire city.

Sulphagnist fucked around with this message at 12:49 on Apr 9, 2015