Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
FEEL FREE TO DISREGARD THIS POST

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
Am I crazy or did Rick Perry only start wearing glasses after he was made a fool during the last election cycle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

mooyashi posted:

ugh gently caress the idea of "Double Taxation" is going to exist until I die isn't it

Don't be so negative. "Double Taxation" will still be around long after you're dead.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Hollismason posted:

Am I crazy or did Rick Perry only start wearing glasses after he was made a fool during the last election cycle.

You're not crazy.

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

Gyges posted:

Don't be so negative. "Double Taxation" will still be around long after you're dead.

Actually when you die I think it's Triple Taxation.

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

The Highest Judge of Paradise
Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

Hollismason posted:

That is the reason why.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Fellatio del Toro posted:

Those drat liberals tax your blood and your genome when your surviving family is hit with Estate Taxes!! :argh:

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Also, in case you missed it earlier, Rick Perry is re-inventing himself as a kind of Republican Carl Sagan with Cosmos intros and outros.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FCWxhpkICS4

I'm hoping for full turtleneck by October.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Joementum posted:

Also, in case you missed it earlier, Rick Perry is re-inventing himself as a kind of Republican Carl Sagan with Cosmos intros and outros.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FCWxhpkICS4

I'm hoping for full turtleneck by October.

He's so gosh-darned excited at 1:20 :3:

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

Fellatio del Toro posted:

M-M-M-MULTI TAX

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Pinterest Mom posted:

He's so gosh-darned excited at 1:20 :3:

Stunning Honky
Sep 7, 2004

" . . . "
is that maple syrup?

Stunning Honky
Sep 7, 2004

" . . . "
wait he's in New Hampshire isn't he

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

Y'know, I just watched W. on Netflix and I swear, they could cast Josh Brolin for Rick Perry just as easily.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
I genuinely like Rick Perry.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Gyges posted:

If Cruz raises an amazingly stupid amount of money, is he deluded enough to run 3rd Party when he loses the Republican nomination?

Well yeah, but you'd think they'd put slightly more effort than just adding numbers after the same name.

He'd need hundreds of millions of dollars to do so and nothing about Ted Cruz makes me think he'd prefer to burn that money as a 3rd party challenger instead of keeping it so he could be very, very rich. As soon as he knows he's lost he's probably going to double down harder to keep that money flowing in. Being able to sit on even tens of millions of dollars means he can buy his way through any potential reelection threat if/when a solid challenger comes after his seat.

Stunning Honky
Sep 7, 2004

" . . . "

SedanChair posted:

I genuinely like Rick Perry.

dude...

Stunning Honky
Sep 7, 2004

" . . . "

TARDISman posted:

Y'know, I just watched W. on Netflix and I swear, they could cast Josh Brolin for Rick Perry just as easily.

that being said, and after watching MIB 3, Tommy Lee Jones could play a post-apocalyptic Perry in a barely imagined future

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
He's likable, I don't know what to tell you. I like King Ecbert on Vikings too, that doesn't mean I want him to be president.

Actually I take that back, I think Ecbert would be a pretty good president.

Karnegal
Dec 24, 2005

Is it... safe?
So, does his announcement being one real big rolling debacle actually do anything to Rand? I mean, I think most of us were already on the "he'd need some real serious poo poo to go wrong with Jeb and Walker to have a prayer" train.

Nolan Arenado
May 8, 2009

mooyashi posted:

so many people want this and they see zero of that, ever, in their entire lifetimes. gently caress.

Says you - I just bought a Powerball ticket and once it hits I'm going to need to keep that money away from those goddamn blacks... poors... people who won't pull themselves up by their bootstraps!

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Reminder that HP's stock rebounded so much after she left that the stock market essentially valued her leadership at negative 2 billion dollars.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

SedanChair posted:

He's likable, I don't know what to tell you. I like King Ecbert on Vikings too, that doesn't mean I want him to be president.

Actually I take that back, I think Ecbert would be a pretty good president.
I met him once and he is pretty likeable. I didn't get the sense that his persona was affected in any way.

He was a little shorter than I expected.

Also I met him shortly before he started wearing the glasses, and I wear similar glasses, so I have a suspicion that he stole my nerdy "style," if you can call it that...

Bel Shazar
Sep 14, 2012

Omi-Polari posted:

I didn't get the sense that his persona was affected in any way.

So he is literally a smug idiot?

e: Being one I believe I can speak from authority here

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Who have people got picked for Jeb Bush's VP ? Think he'll grab someone who appeals to the very right wingers?

I see Walker mentioned, Do they mean Scott Walker? Cause uh.....

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Bel Shazar posted:

So he is literally a smug idiot?

e: Being one I believe I can speak from authority here
OK I laughed at that.

Eh. I just mean that Perry comes across as a normal dude. He's friendly, very polite, flashes you a wink, and man ... he's got great hair.

He's not like a Ted Cruz, who I really cannot stand. That guy is like a preachy, vainglorious mega-church pastor. He looks like a frog that's been greased down with pomade. He makes my teeth hurt.

Bel Shazar
Sep 14, 2012

Omi-Polari posted:

That guy is like a preachy, vainglorious mega-church pastor.

Wow, nailed it. Yes, that is exactly right. I had not been able to conceptualize it before, but you are spot on.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Bel Shazar posted:

Wow, nailed it. Yes, that is exactly right. I had not been able to conceptualize it before, but you are spot on.
Michael Brendan Dougherty, who is a conservative writer I like, used the word "oleaginous." Which means "resembling or having the properties of oil" and "marked by an offensively ingratiating manner or quality." Which also works. Cruz is embarrassing to watch.

The Perry oops moment will live in infamy, but it's also kind of a normal-dude moment. Like Homer Simpson going "doh!"

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Perry is weird on account of his very rare reasonable positions (mainly thinking of in-state tuition for immigrant kids, but also a couple other things). It's not something that lines up with the rest of his ideology either, like Paul and his faux-noninterventionism. I'm assuming some rich Latino paid him to say that, considering his HPV vaccine stuff.

Bel Shazar
Sep 14, 2012

Omi-Polari posted:

Michael Brendan Dougherty, who is a conservative writer I like, used the word "oleaginous." Which means "resembling or having the properties of oil" and "marked by an offensively ingratiating manner or quality." Which also works. Cruz is embarrassing to watch.

Ted Cruz is like the breaking of oleaginous wind. I like it.

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

Badger of Basra posted:

Perry is weird on account of his very rare reasonable positions (mainly thinking of in-state tuition for immigrant kids, but also a couple other things). It's not something that lines up with the rest of his ideology either, like Paul and his faux-noninterventionism. I'm assuming some rich Latino paid him to say that, considering his HPV vaccine stuff.

His policy positions probably change day in and day out as he forgets and remembers bits and pieces of where he stands on the issues.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

His policy positions probably change day in and day out as he forgets and remembers bits and pieces of where he stands on the issues.

As I understand it, his policy positions only change once the check clears.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Badger of Basra posted:

Yeah, it's good-for-bidness Tex-ervatism. There's a bill to repeal in-state tuition for immigrant kids floating around the Texas state senate at the moment, but the word is that it's going nowhere with the big bidnessmen in the Texas Association of Business and most of the serving Republicans in the legislature opposed to it.

Because it's bad for bidness. Which means it's bad for Texas.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Omi-Polari posted:

Yeah, it's good-for-bidness Tex-ervatism. There's a bill to repeal it in-state tuition for immigrant kids floating around the Texas state senate at the moment, but the word is that it's going nowhere with the big bidnessmen in the Texas Association of Business and most of the serving Republicans in the legislature opposed to it.

Because it's bad for bidness. Which means it's bad for Texas.

Actually I think you'll find it is being held up by secret democrat and notorious jew Joe Strauss.

PsychoInternetHawk
Apr 4, 2011

Perhaps, if one wishes to remain an individual in the midst of the teeming multitudes, one must make oneself grotesque.
Grimey Drawer

Hollismason posted:

Who have people got picked for Jeb Bush's VP ? Think he'll grab someone who appeals to the very right wingers?

Walker is in the same position Chris Christie was a couple years ago, basically a human Rorschach test that brings out whatever the Republican id wants to see

then you squint and realize he's a gelatinous blob with zero substance

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

I thought Chris Cristie was on the outs with the Republican party, but good for him for losing weight to make a run at the White House.

PsychoInternetHawk
Apr 4, 2011

Perhaps, if one wishes to remain an individual in the midst of the teeming multitudes, one must make oneself grotesque.
Grimey Drawer

Hollismason posted:

I thought Chris Cristie was on the outs with the Republican party, but good for him for losing weight to make a run at the White House.

he is, I was pointing out that Scott Walker will likely suffer the same fate once it becomes apparent he isn't the savior of the Republican party

which will probably happen a lot faster than it did for Christie

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

Hollismason posted:

Sandoval or Martinez would be good picks (not sure how that would jive with sandoval's presumed senate run)

Moderate mexican-americans with penetration in hispanic communities (the ones that matter, not elderly cubans), proven track-records of popular governance and cross-demographic appeal.

They've vilified the Democrats thoroughly enough over the past couple decades that they don't have to worry about far-right turnout regardless of how much that fringe yowls about Jeb's ultimately-marginal moderate streak. They're better off trying to accentuate Jeb's strengths than overcompensating for his perceived weaknesses among the base, who wouuld walk over burnign coals to vote against hillary anyway.

PupsOfWar fucked around with this message at 05:54 on Apr 9, 2015

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Hollismason posted:

Dick Cheney's brother or similar relative still alive.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

PupsOfWar posted:

Sandoval or Martinez would be good picks (not sure how that would jive with sandoval's presumed senate run)

Moderate mexican-americans with penetration in hispanic communities (the ones that matter, not elderly cubans), proven track-records of popular governance and cross-demographic appeal.

I'd give Martinez the edge. If they want a woman on the ticket to at least SORT of balance out Hillary at the top of the Democratic ticket, Martinez nets them not only the Hispanic vote, but the female vote, and a Republican governor in a blue state. The risk, of course, is that Martinez turns out to be another Palin, but if Fiorina is running to be veep, she must know that Martinez does a better job at doing what Fiorina does (token minority) without the baggage of having lost campaigns in blue states.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Nintendo Kid posted:

Dick Cheney's brother or similar relative still alive.

I believe Liz Cheney is carrying on the family tradition of heartlessness.

ComradeCosmobot posted:

I'd give Martinez the edge. If they want a woman on the ticket to at least SORT of balance out Hillary at the top of the Democratic ticket, Martinez nets them not only the Hispanic vote, but the female vote, and a Republican governor in a blue state. The risk, of course, is that Martinez turns out to be another Palin, but if Fiorina is running to be veep, she must know that Martinez does a better job at doing what Fiorina does (token minority) without the baggage of having lost campaigns in blue states.

At this point Republicans are going to have to do a lot more than just put a Martinez on the ticket to net the Hispanic vote. poo poo, putting a Rubio on the ticket probably isn't even going to net the Cuban subsection.

Gyges fucked around with this message at 06:23 on Apr 9, 2015

• Locked thread