Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Golluk
Oct 22, 2008

Krittick posted:

First flight was excellent. Ridiculously stable and no control issues whatsoever. Until the wind picked up suddenly and smashed it into some branches. Broke two of the propellers and cracked the cheap plastic landing gear but it's otherwise fine. Duct taped the landing gear and replaced the props with the spares I had.

Are there specific things to look for if I want to get more durable propellers (eg. carbon fiber)? I know I need 10x4.5 props for the F450 but I'm not sure if there's anything else the props need to have in order to fit.

Hah, 2nd or 3rd fpv attempt with my 250 quad I drifted up and backwards into some branches, and was treated to a rolling view as it fell to the ground. I don't think any blades are going to withstand impacting much more than some paper when spinning at 5k-27k RPM. Best to avoid hitting things, or just have lots extra.

I started with cheap co-axial copter, and moved to a V911. Then I got a 9x radio, and shortly after a Bixler2. After many crashes, I got an assassin (flying wing) that was virtually crash proof, and of course learned to fly the Bixler properly before actually finishing the assassin. Still handy as I made it night flyable for when I worked late. Then I bought a proto X on a whim, moved up to a hubsan X4, and went for the full on FPV set up on a minion 250 quad. I think I'm somewhere in the 1-1.5k range of money since last summer. But its mostly just odds and ends now to push the envelope (UHF Tx/Rx, Diversity Vrx). I could have worse vices to spend money on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry

Krittick posted:

First flight was excellent. Ridiculously stable and no control issues whatsoever. Until the wind picked up suddenly and smashed it into some branches. Broke two of the propellers and cracked the cheap plastic landing gear but it's otherwise fine. Duct taped the landing gear and replaced the props with the spares I had.

Are there specific things to look for if I want to get more durable propellers (eg. carbon fiber)? I know I need 10x4.5 props for the F450 but I'm not sure if there's anything else the props need to have in order to fit.

CrazyLittle posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gAYL5H46QnQ

Just sayin' .. say hello TO THE GROUND .. ;-)

see also the "RTG" feature that's included on all new quads (return to ground)

Digital Jesus
Sep 11, 2001

Wow the Phantom 3 turned out to be cheaper than I expected. Kinda bummed that there was no release date though.

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

Clue: Zero
DJI's store is saying shipping starts end of April. B&H says beginning of May. At least for the Phantom 3 Pro I just ordered (from B&H after DJI's store couldn't cope or recognize my payment).

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

Expected shipping from DJI around the 22nd of April. Definitely surprised at the cost for the features.

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

So why buy an Inspire over a P3p? Removable camera (who cares?)?

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Upgradeable camera, and the same reasons anyone would use a larger quad over a smaller one - increased stability and control in greater wind speeds

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

A Yolo Wizard posted:

Upgradeable camera, and the same reasons anyone would use a larger quad over a smaller one - increased stability and control in greater wind speeds

Yeah but even my P2v+ is good in pretty high winds (25kts or so is fine), and you don't have any extra safety, lose one motor and you're screwed. Upgradeable camera doesn't seem like it's worth 2,000+ dollars unless the upgraded camera comes free and with a blowjob.

Mina
Dec 14, 2005

HONK HONK HONK HONK HONK HONK HONK HONK
Speaking of cameras, I decided I didn't want to wait until I bought a mount or FPV system to see how my F450 worked with a camera.

So I grabbed an old iPhone 5C with a cracked screen I hadn't touched in a year, and mounted it to the F450 at a 45 degree angle via zip ties and velcro. Only did a quick indoor test for now, but the video is actually stable and free from vibration effects so I might do this for when I want a quick aerial shot of something until I get the actual equipment for it.

It's not something I'd do if I cared about losing the phone, but it's amusing being able to do it and get pretty decent results.

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Elendil004 posted:

Yeah but even my P2v+ is good in pretty high winds (25kts or so is fine), and you don't have any extra safety, lose one motor and you're screwed. Upgradeable camera doesn't seem like it's worth 2,000+ dollars unless the upgraded camera comes free and with a blowjob.

The inspire continues to be in sort of an awkward prosumer position since before the p3pro. My biggest complaint for the p2 continues to be the landing gear on anything but very even ground. I've ended spending a lot more modifying my go pro for a lower FOV and getting /making wider landing gear. I'm flying in a more rural setting though.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Krittick posted:

Speaking of cameras, I decided I didn't want to wait until I bought a mount or FPV system to see how my F450 worked with a camera.

So I grabbed an old iPhone 5C with a cracked screen I hadn't touched in a year, and mounted it to the F450 at a 45 degree angle via zip ties and velcro. Only did a quick indoor test for now, but the video is actually stable and free from vibration effects so I might do this for when I want a quick aerial shot of something until I get the actual equipment for it.

It's not something I'd do if I cared about losing the phone, but it's amusing being able to do it and get pretty decent results.
Also since it's an iphone you could just use the "find my iPhone" feature to figure out roughly where it landed if you did lose it

Digital Jesus
Sep 11, 2001

Bit more of an upcharge for us than I expected :australia: $1550 and $1999. I'll probably still grab an advanced though.

Mina
Dec 14, 2005

32MB OF ESRAM posted:

Also since it's an iphone you could just use the "find my iPhone" feature to figure out roughly where it landed if you did lose it

It's an iPhone without a SIM card installed, so that will only work if it has a wifi connection. Definitely not a bad idea though.

This is another moment where I wish I owned a decent 3D printer, because I'd love to design and print a custom mount for using it instead of my zip tie and velcro approach.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Krittick posted:

It's an iPhone without a SIM card installed, so that will only work if it has a wifi connection. Definitely not a bad idea though.

This is another moment where I wish I owned a decent 3D printer, because I'd love to design and print a custom mount for using it instead of my zip tie and velcro approach.

fwiw I just bought and assembled one of those $500 Prusa i3 kits from Ebay and I was printing with it the next day(after a 12 hour build session)

3D printing is super loving fun and my quads are about to get REAL weird but wow is it SLOOOOOW

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

32MB OF ESRAM posted:

3D printing is super loving fun and my quads are about to get REAL weird but wow is it SLOOOOOW

It is one of the greatest things, but yeah its really slow...

DreadLlama
Jul 15, 2005
Not just for breakfast anymore
I want to build an aerial videography/photography platform around the Lotus frame. I want to be able to land on water (if I have to), and be smart enough to not have to.

Requirements:
  1. Get ferried about in a canoe.
  2. Lift off, fly about, look at things.
  3. Move:
    1. to a waypoint,
    2. as directed by user (but overrided by safety firmware).
  4. Loiter, and maybe
  5. (camera) zoom in
  6. pan and look around.
    1. do a butt-waving-circle-dance.
    2. gimbal
  7. Land at either its takeoff point or at some other arbitrary (user-selected) point. (This may include either, A: being able to land in a net outstretched from a canoe, or B: landing on top of said canoe.
Long-range cruise efficiency is not required.
Rapid Evasion/mobility is not required.
Stationkeeping [regardless of (reasonable) windspeed] is required.

Could you please tell me, what sort of flight controller would you recommend?

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer
APM would be a fine flight controller to do all those things. You're not going to be putting a gimbal on that though (Unless you can find a tiny, tiny 2 axis one that will fit in the bubble. hard to tell the scale really) The Mariner frame is another option

moron izzard fucked around with this message at 08:54 on Apr 9, 2015

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Rider now with 100% more titanium!

DreadLlama posted:

Could you please tell me, what sort of flight controller would you recommend?

I'd be looking at APM or Naza.

But to reiterate, that thing won't hold a gimbal.

ease
Jul 19, 2004

HUGE
That frame looks weak as gently caress.

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Elendil004 posted:

poo poo, I also forgot about the dual operator mode, and the 360 degree camera rotation. It sounds like they've resolved fov issues on their p3 though, so its not as big of an upgrade.

Sorta tempted to sell some of my extra phantom stuff and hero 4 and just switch to the p3 pro, if only so that I can try some of the new apps like the pix4d one.

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer

porksmash posted:

Oh yeah, I am interested. I've had nothing but trouble with my OrangeRX JR module. I don't have PMs, but you can email me at sa@porksmash.com if you want to work out a deal.

that email doesn't work btw, or at least google doesn't think so

porksmash
Sep 30, 2008

A Yolo Wizard posted:

that email doesn't work btw, or at least google doesn't think so

Oops, had to fix some settings. It should work now.

Mina
Dec 14, 2005

Starting to learn not to trust my local hobby shop. Asked about replacement props for my F450, they gave me a set of APC props that look pretty decent. Only noticed when I got back home that one of them has a crack. I need to wait for the self-tightening nuts I ordered to arrive to even use them, but this is the second thing I've bought from them that was broken. The first was my soldering iron, which had a defective tip that shattered and fell off when I had barely even started tinning it, and they refused to replace it and said I must have used it wrong (I didn't).

I got my Naza FC from GetFPV, but I'd love any recommendations for reputable online retailers for buying replacement parts.

Golluk
Oct 22, 2008

Krittick posted:

Starting to learn not to trust my local hobby shop. .... The first was my soldering iron, which had a defective tip that shattered and fell off when I had barely even started tinning it, and they refused to replace it and said I must have used it wrong (I didn't).

I got my Naza FC from GetFPV, but I'd love any recommendations for reputable online retailers for buying replacement parts.

Wait what? Did they think you tried to use it as a hammer or a chisel? About the only way you can mess up an iron is corroding the tip early using non distilled water.

Mina
Dec 14, 2005

Golluk posted:

Wait what? Did they think you tried to use it as a hammer or a chisel? About the only way you can mess up an iron is corroding the tip early using non distilled water.

No idea what they thought I did to it, I stopped really trying to convince them to let me return the $20 soldering iron and bought a Weller iron from Home Depot instead (which obviously works flawlessly because it's Weller).

DreadLlama
Jul 15, 2005
Not just for breakfast anymore
You're right about not being able to put a gimbal under the lotus frame. Also, the Mariner is a too expensive gimmick for a "just in case" feature. The APM brain is impressive. Is there anywhere cheaper than $319 to get a Cheerson CX-20 / Quanum Nova?

Looking forward, if I'm still doing this in 3 years, I'll probably get more enjoyment out of a zoom camera than being able to land on water. That said, are there any sensors which could have improved stability in high-wind such as in this video?

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer
im almost done assembling this talon build, but i had some q's about servos.

a) I guess I'm supposed to find the midpoint in order to correctly install the horn. can I eyeball it from finding the end points, or can this only be accurately done by hooking up a receiver or servo tester?
b) two of my servos only came with 2 arm / 4 arm / circle horns. I need a 1 armed one - can I just trim the two armed servo horns?

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

A Yolo Wizard posted:

im almost done assembling this talon build, but i had some q's about servos.

a) I guess I'm supposed to find the midpoint in order to correctly install the horn. can I eyeball it from finding the end points, or can this only be accurately done by hooking up a receiver or servo tester?
b) two of my servos only came with 2 arm / 4 arm / circle horns. I need a 1 armed one - can I just trim the two armed servo horns?

A) Yes, you need to hook it up to receiver/tester. I recently bought a servo tester. They're only like $5 and have already proven very handy.
B) Yes, just trim the one arm off.

Mina
Dec 14, 2005

Any recommendations for landing gear for the F450? I've been using the stock plastic ones but just broke them for good during a slightly rough landing... on grass. Looking for something even slightly more durable without adding too much weight.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Krittick posted:

Any recommendations for landing gear for the F450? I've been using the stock plastic ones but just broke them for good during a slightly rough landing... on grass. Looking for something even slightly more durable without adding too much weight.

I always thought the guys who ziptied pipe insulation to standard landing gears were really clever

Mina
Dec 14, 2005

32MB OF ESRAM posted:

I always thought the guys who ziptied pipe insulation to standard landing gears were really clever

Mine were the cheap DJI landing legs: http://www.dji.com/product/landing-gear-for-flame-wheel

I'm actually looking for recommendations for exactly the kind of landing gear you mentioned, for exactly that reason. :v:

Basically something like this, just not sure if that's made by anyone reputable: http://www.amazon.com/ZJchao-Anti-v...ds=f450+landing

Golluk
Oct 22, 2008
So in preparation for working on range tests and improvements on the Bix3, I looked into the latest and greatest motor/prop combos. Moving from a 2826 2200kv with 6x4, to a 2836 1040kv with 8x6. Also swapping out the 30A ESC for a 40A.

Just for fun, I tried a 9x6 on the 2200kv and it shot up over 32A at about 90% throttle. 70% had it at about 24A. It was rather amusing doing a RTH auto launch though, thing just took off straight at the 15 degrees.

Now I just need to wait for it to stop pouring rain, or being too windy.

Tindjin
Aug 4, 2006

Do not seek death.
Death will find you.
But seek the road
which makes death a fulfillment.
Anyone running FrSky/OpenTx? I currently use a Spektrum DX6 but have out grown it and was just automatically going to go with a Spektrum Dx9. Then I saw the price of the 9ch RXs and started looking at other options. I thought of Graupner, the included telemetry is nice and they get good reviews but I held one and just wasn't very impressed with the feel of it.

I used to be a Futaba guy back when I originally flew and so looked at them and they have quality gear, but again prices are pretty out there.

Then I started reading more about the open source stuff. There was a guy flying this wee that had one of the FrSky 9 (not the newer plus) and if felt good. I write code for various things already so the open source doesn't scare me and after reading some of their documentation and playing with the OpenTX Companion software I think I am hooked. I can't find anything posted that is bad about it (once you discount guys who butcher the setups then whine about that). They don't seem to have any higher failure rates that the big guys and their transmission protocols are drat near as good as the Futaba FASST stuff from what I can tell.

Just trying to get any experiences out there of actual users (you know rather than the rank and file of put RC forum posters).

Thanks.

Odette
Mar 19, 2011

Yeah, I loving love my Taranis and the OpenTX code makes it a real pleasure to use. There's a couple other transmitters that utilise OpenTX, so you're not limited to the Taranis.

Golluk
Oct 22, 2008
I'm definitely a fan of my Turnigy 9x loaded with OpenTx. Then its just a mater of popping in whatever Tx module you want. The Taranis does seem to be the sweet spot for Price/Features though. I mostly just miss out on some built in telemetry. But I make up for most of that in the OSD I use. And for LOS flying, those cheap voltage alarm buzzers are enough feedback.

Tindjin
Aug 4, 2006

Do not seek death.
Death will find you.
But seek the road
Thanks guys. Yea I think the Spektrum is going to go up for sale after I get a new package in. Is there any real difference between the Taranis and others like Turnigy? I have a few bindnfly planes but read that you can hook up a DMSX module to the Tranis also, is that right?

I can already tell with playing with the setup software I am going to go a bit nuts at first playing with all of the functions, especially after seeing some of the crazy stuff people are doing.

ionicism
Jun 18, 2005

Oh! You should kill her!

Tindjin posted:

Thanks guys. Yea I think the Spektrum is going to go up for sale after I get a new package in. Is there any real difference between the Taranis and others like Turnigy? I have a few bindnfly planes but read that you can hook up a DMSX module to the Tranis also, is that right?

I can already tell with playing with the setup software I am going to go a bit nuts at first playing with all of the functions, especially after seeing some of the crazy stuff people are doing.

The Taranis is better than all of the other comparably-priced options out there, both in build quality and firmware. OpenTx is great. You can definitely just pop a DSMX module in there for your BNF craft, either an official Spektrum (expensive but rock-solid) or an OrangeTX (cheap and works fine). On stuff you're building, though, I'd definitely put a FrSky RX in, they're excellent.

Tindjin
Aug 4, 2006

Do not seek death.
Death will find you.
But seek the road

ionicism posted:

The Taranis is better than all of the other comparably-priced options out there, both in build quality and firmware. OpenTx is great. You can definitely just pop a DSMX module in there for your BNF craft, either an official Spektrum (expensive but rock-solid) or an OrangeTX (cheap and works fine). On stuff you're building, though, I'd definitely put a FrSky RX in, they're excellent.

Thanks. Yea on all of the stuff I have built or put spektrum RXs I will be switching over to the FrSky RXs. I have a few small BNF planes that are fun to fly around my property or the small park near my house so being able to pop in the Spektrum/Orange TX(thanks for that tip) would be great for still being able to fly them. I also love that you can link 2 FrSky RXs to give you 16 channels to play with.

I've always loved doing pattern flying and will definitely be installing a few songs on a switch so that I can act like I'm doing a real aerobatics show. Ah the crazy stuff that this radio is going to make me do.

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer
edit: nm

moron izzard fucked around with this message at 14:44 on Apr 11, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

acetcx
Jul 21, 2011
Let me start by saying I'm a complete beginner. I bought a Turnigy SK450 from HobbyKing and took it out for my first flight. It didn't go super well and I have a few questions.

First, it tends to yaw a lot even if I only use the throttle and don't touch any other inputs. I'm fairly sure this is because my transmitter (Turnigy 9XR) is faulty - I tried calibrating it several times and each time it skews the yaw from left to right as I increase the throttle input. It's pretty significant. The flight controller (KK2.0) has a receiver test mode and it shows the yaw input gradually skewing from -25ish at 0% throttle to +25ish at 100% throttle (or worse - it seems to vary every time I turn on the transmitter). Is this something I can fix or do I need a new transmitter?

EDIT: It looks a lot like this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LSbOJIH8bpA so I guess that means I have a bad gimbal?

Second, one of my motors doesn't spin up if I gradually increase the throttle from zero. It works fine if I quickly move the throttle from 0% to 30-40% but if I gradually increase the throttle it never spins up except for a few weak turns early on even if I push it to the point where the other 3 lift off the ground.

I'm hoping I can at least get the first problem ironed out because it was very difficult to control. I couldn't keep it in the air for more than about 7 or 8 seconds.

acetcx fucked around with this message at 21:32 on Apr 12, 2015