Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008
Get a Peugeot, those things are like blackjacks.

Non-comedy option; a cocktail kingdom muddler makes a fine sap, especially if they don't see it coming. Knives are always good to get people moving, but you best be prepared to swing it, and then go to jail.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

navyjack
Jul 15, 2006

bloody ghost titty posted:

Non-comedy option; a cocktail kingdom muddler makes a fine sap, especially if they don't see it coming. Knives are always good to get people moving, but you best be prepared to swing it, and then go to jail.

I have broken at least one wrist with a speed key, and when I was a door guy I was the master of the "flashlight under the floating rib" come-along. tl/dr: anything is a bar weapon if you try hard and believe in yourself

Stunning Honky
Sep 7, 2004

" . . . "
I avoided a sucker punch to the head once by simply slipping on a puddle of beer. I watched the guys throw go over my face, after which he hit the wall at about 15mph with my 240lb coworker tackling him Clowney style. A Good Night.

Der Luftwaffle
Dec 29, 2008
Unscrew a tap handle for a handy cudgel. Carlsberg has a good heft to it.

nrr
Jan 2, 2007

this is why I don't sling drinks at my family reunions anymore

RisqueBarber
Jul 10, 2005

Hey I hope you guys can help me. I'm looking to create a tasty frozen trash can punch for when my friends and I hit the pool. I've googled it but all the recipes seem to be for literal trashcan quantities. I'm looking for a blender size. Anyone have any good recipes?

Greatbacon
Apr 9, 2012

by Pragmatica

RisqueBarber posted:

Hey I hope you guys can help me. I'm looking to create a tasty frozen trash can punch for when my friends and I hit the pool. I've googled it but all the recipes seem to be for literal trashcan quantities. I'm looking for a blender size. Anyone have any good recipes?

Can't you just do some arithmetic and scale down the recipes?

"If this is a recipe for 8 gallons of punch and I only need one, divide the quantity of every ingredient by 8..."

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008
It's not really that easy: recipes don't always scale like that. Many of our specs are technical, for one or two drinks, then rounded up for a punch.

Try skinning a pineapple, adding a can of coco Lopez, a bottle of rum, and lime to taste and hitting it in the blender, and once again with ice. Then enjoy while watching the sun set over two dogs loving.

Feb 24, 2006

#worldchamps
We are a speed bar. And honestly, lemon drops are a pain in the rear end to make in such situation. Unfortunately, when the waitresses get off work, that's just about the only shot outside of a Jolly Rancher or Purple Heart they'll order in loads.

What's a shot I can start making to get them off their dumb lemon drop phase?

Booties
Apr 4, 2006

forever and ever

89 posted:

We are a speed bar. And honestly, lemon drops are a pain in the rear end to make in such situation. Unfortunately, when the waitresses get off work, that's just about the only shot outside of a Jolly Rancher or Purple Heart they'll order in loads.

I'm super gay for soco and lime.

Stunning Honky
Sep 7, 2004

" . . . "

89 posted:

kamikaze is something you can grab entirely off the rail hth

nrr
Jan 2, 2007

whats tough about making the lemon drops? you can make a dumbed down, super simple lemon drop by just chilling citrus vodka and then instead of rimming the shot glasses with sugar, dip the lemon wedge in sugar and set the sugary wedge on top of each shot glass

Stunning Honky
Sep 7, 2004

" . . . "

nrr posted:

whats tough about making the lemon drops? you can make a dumbed down, super simple lemon drop by just chilling citrus vodka and then instead of rimming the shot glasses with sugar, dip the lemon wedge in sugar and set the sugary wedge on top of each shot glass

this is pretty much what lemon drops were at because lemon drops never seem to come in orders less than 6

Stunning Honky
Sep 7, 2004

" . . . "
"hm what is an inoffensive shot that even my future sister-in-law won't complain about"

nrr
Jan 2, 2007

yeah, I think the most time consuming part is if you're rimming the shot glasses, which can be easily avoided by just dipping your lemon wedge in your sugar tray.

mooyashi posted:

"hm what is an inoffensive shot that even my future sister-in-law won't complain about"

and if you want something like this, then try this thing I came up with a billion years ago: half pineapple juice, half crème de cacao. shakey, shakey.

you can add a little vodka (vanilla vodka if you've got any) or even spiced rum as the base spirit to give it a little bit more balls if you want. think I floated between calling it an ankle warmer and a one night stand over the years. cheap as hell cost wise, think i sold roughly a billion of them when I worked nightclubs, and chicks dig the hell out of them.

Stunning Honky
Sep 7, 2004

" . . . "
the mai-tai was easily the go-to "girl wants a girly drink to be girly" cocktail that i made probably 100 times a month for that occasion. i have to say that dudes asking for a "manly drink" were always funnier because you could give them loving ANYTHING in a highball glass and they would choke it down after that stipulation.

note for casual readers: never made anything i myself would never order on purpose, just definable drinks that grandpa probably drank when nothing else was available

Stunning Honky fucked around with this message at 10:18 on Apr 9, 2015

Stunning Honky
Sep 7, 2004

" . . . "
"here you go sir, this is scotch with scotch liqueur. We call it a Rusty Nail, I'll see you about a Bud Light in five minutes"

Stunning Honky
Sep 7, 2004

" . . . "
"ah yes Satan's Whiskers; gin, vermouth, OJ and Gran Marnier. Oops almost didn't splash some motherfucking Angostura in there"

I feel like old drink names were expressly derived from this practice.

I love both drinks mentioned so far, btw.

nrr
Jan 2, 2007

I was about to say, a properly made rusty nail is the poo poo

Stunning Honky
Sep 7, 2004

" . . . "

nrr posted:

I was about to say, a properly made rusty nail is the poo poo

i managed to change the call scotch of a bar because i was definitely the only person drinking a) call scotch and b) drambuie and really, cutty sark?

at least it wasn't J&B i guess

Stunning Honky
Sep 7, 2004

" . . . "
i came form a state where they put the exact date you bought your By The Drink liquor on a tax stamp and when I left, in 2014, the bottle of Drambuie had a 2010 label on it

Feb 24, 2006

#worldchamps
We have to squeeze a lemon in the shaker, pour sugar in it as well, sugar the lemon, and then immediately wash the shakers because of the sugar which we rarely have to do. Guess the vodka used. Guess.

....heaven hill.

($1 for employees)

Stunning Honky
Sep 7, 2004

" . . . "
i have never even heard of that, and we had Aristocrat.

Question if you don't mind: charge? Was it five dollars? Six? Tell me it was six.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Lemon drops and, even worse, sex with an alligators were like $8 drinks when I was managing. gently caress anyone that orders those at a crowded bar, doubly so because they inevitably would order 10+ or multiple rounds of them (or worse, start a domino effect of other customers ordering them)

nrr
Jan 2, 2007

89 posted:

We have to squeeze a lemon in the shaker, pour sugar in it as well, sugar the lemon, and then immediately wash the shakers because of the sugar which we rarely have to do. Guess the vodka used. Guess.

....heaven hill.

($1 for employees)

Prep up some simple syrup to negate your sugar shaker washing, and squeeze up enough lemon juice to get you through the nights lemon drops/whatever else requires squeezing lemons into a shaker. Or if you're the kind of place that doesn't give a poo poo, grab a little carton of 'real lemon' (or whatever brand of lemon juice your town sells at stores) and throw it in an empty liquor bottle and put a speed spout on it.

A couple of minutes of prep work saves you seemingly forever when you're in the weeds in a high volume bar/club banging out simple drinks.

Stunning Honky
Sep 7, 2004

" . . . "

Shooting Blanks posted:

Lemon drops and, even worse, sex with an alligators were like $8 drinks when I was managing.

Oh definitely same. Never had to make Sex With An Alligator because during my tenure we phased out, in order, Bacardi 151, Blue Curaçao, and Midori, basically since they were taking up shelf space that decent booze could inhabit, and seriously, name me somebody that orders drinks with that poo poo that isn't insufferable

nrr
Jan 2, 2007

Agreed completely on the blue curaçao and Midori and I can see why you'd want to not carry 151 as well, but 151 has it's moments. My buds back in Sydney used to run a night called Funktrust every Thursday, and invented a thing to help me catch up to them after I finished work and showed up a few hours into the party. It involved an ounce each of 151, black sambucca, and green chartreuse. Set on fire/inhale the fumes/drink the drink style. It was either that or 6 shots of tequila. Done back to back or I'd just shove them all together, put straws in each one and suck them all down at the same time.

I kinda both miss being 22 and are thankful as gently caress that I'm not anymore.

navyjack
Jul 15, 2006

nrr posted:

Agreed completely on the blue curaçao and Midori and I can see why you'd want to not carry 151 as well, but 151 has it's moments. My buds back in Sydney used to run a night called Funktrust every Thursday, and invented a thing to help me catch up to them after I finished work and showed up a few hours into the party. It involved an ounce each of 151, black sambucca, and green chartreuse. Set on fire/inhale the fumes/drink the drink style. It was either that or 6 shots of tequila. Done back to back or I'd just shove them all together, put straws in each one and suck them all down at the same time.

I kinda both miss being 22 and are thankful as gently caress that I'm not anymore.

I use 151 to clean ink stains off the bar top.

nrr
Jan 2, 2007

Told you it had it's moments

nrr
Jan 2, 2007

Also: breathing fire

MAKE NO BABBYS
Jan 28, 2010

89 posted:

....heaven hill.

($1 for employees)

I really hope you mean "squeeze half lemons" and not like, squeeze slices because EW.

Even then, lemon drops are super easy and take seconds more than a highball or draft beer if you bartend two handed.

Dirnok
Feb 10, 2005

Frozen Horse posted:

I was at my local dive and a question occurred to me. How many of your workplaces have a bat or other similar implement behind the bar? In or out of view of the customers? Does it get much use?

We have a bat next to the cooler door, I don't think most of the staff would even know it existed if not for all the "this guy the other night, blah blah blah, I almost grabbed the bat.." I have pulled it out exactly twice, both times just slamming it on the bar. I don't think I would ever come out from behind the bar with it, it would have to be a really loving gnarly situation. The risk of losing control of it and making a bad situation into an all out deadly one is just too high.

89 posted:

Watermelon Pucker, strawberry liqueur and orange juice has been hands down my most well received and repeatedly order girly shot.

Shooting Blanks posted:

gently caress anyone that orders those at a crowded bar, doubly so because they inevitably would order 10+ or multiple rounds of them (or worse, start a domino effect of other customers ordering them)

I'm with the lemon drop hate and this is exactly why. It's always an order of like 8 of them and the moment they hit the bar it's "What's that?! I need 15 of those!" Repeat. You could go half a shift without making a single one but the moment that order comes in, that's the rest of your night right there.

navyjack posted:

I use 151 to clean ink stains off the bar top.

Every rookie bartender ever has been like "Holy poo poo, we serve Everclear here?!" "No, we do not. That is Sharpie remover. Don't ever touch that bottle for anything else."

Starscream
Aug 17, 2000

Dirnok posted:

I'm with the lemon drop hate and this is exactly why. It's always an order of like 8 of them and the moment they hit the bar it's "What's that?! I need 15 of those!" Repeat. You could go half a shift without making a single one but the moment that order comes in, that's the rest of your night right there.

There are nights when I hate any and all "effort drinks" as I call them. My bar is known for its beer selection and my cocktails, but some nights I'd prefer to just pour a pint and tidy up. That said, having run successful bars, I can honestly say there's nothing better for a bar than shaken shots. Shaking 6 shots only requires 4oz of liqour (canadian amounts, I know you yanks use more but do the math) and saves a bar hundreds of dollars per year. If not more. My signature shot is 2 parts St. Germain Elderflower Liqueur, 1 part Chambord and 1 part Peppermint Schnapps. Shaken hard to maximize profit and tips.

Stunning Honky
Sep 7, 2004

" . . . "
Holy god that sounds awful. I mean, make your money and all, but sheesh

Stunning Honky
Sep 7, 2004

" . . . "
"My signature shot is 1 part okra juice, 1 part Malibu, and 2 parts Goldschläger"

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008
Pickled okra or go home, scrub

mooyashi posted:

"My signature shot is 1 part okra juice, 1 part Malibu, and 2 parts Goldschläger"

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

Pickled okra or go home, scrub

pickled okra is fantastic and i will hear no ill will spoken of it :colbert:

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

mooyashi posted:

Holy god that sounds awful. I mean, make your money and all, but sheesh
Yeah St Germain and Chambord would probably be tasty if really drat sweet, but peppermint on top of that? :gonk:

Starscream
Aug 17, 2000

SubponticatePoster posted:

Yeah St Germain and Chambord would probably be tasty if really drat sweet, but peppermint on top of that? :gonk:

Chicks dig it. It reminds me of cough syrup.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stunning Honky
Sep 7, 2004

" . . . "
"Ahem, yes garçon, I'll have the e-cigarette with a Mountain Dew reduction, and this lovely creature

*gestures to cat*

will have some cat food"

• Locked thread