Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Super Slash
Feb 20, 2006

You rang ?

Judge Schnoopy posted:

Mystery solved with the 100.100.100.102 gateway. Xerox printer and companion efi on site. The correct Ethernet configuration is network -> efi -> xerox. The efi creates the secluded 100 network between it and the xerox.

Yep, that sounds about right. Not too long ago I was looking at ours to enable Scan to E-mail and wondered why it has this funky IP address; que changing the IP and DNS settings and the fiery box drops offline and can't connect to it again. Much head scratching later I found a sheet of paper detailing things about the box and how it needs that specific IP to actually work. :crossarms:

Also;
"Something's wrong with the printer none of my jobs are getting sent through"
"You see that it's currently printing a massive job right? Wait"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009

KoRMaK posted:

Thank god I live in a near hipster paradise where a chain pizza place is out of the way. I got one with eggplant and peppers and poo poo the other day and was great.

I'm pretty conflicted with pizza. On one hand living just outside Chicago for my entire life there is subjectively great pizza options all the time, but on the other hand when I went to Italy last year I would say their take on pizzas tended to beat Chi style. Oh, and NY style white pizza is disgusting.

Is there truly anywhere else regionally known for good pizza?

xsf421
Feb 17, 2011

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Detroit-style_pizza

:colbert:

siggy2021
Mar 8, 2010

Ursine Asylum posted:

I assume that using a phone is verboten as well.

That was "a pain in the rear end."

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

Mmm, Buddy's Pizza. Haven't had that in a long time.

Also: wtf kind of draconian place blocks pizza and car company sites?

Alliterate Addict
Jul 10, 2012

dreaming of that face again

it's bright and blue and shimmering

grinning wide and comforting me with it's three warm and wild eyes

siggy2021 posted:

That was "a pain in the rear end."

I assume you didn't do the needful comeback to that, and it's a shame you didn't.

siggy2021
Mar 8, 2010

AlexDeGruven posted:

Mmm, Buddy's Pizza. Haven't had that in a long time.

Ours wasn't intentional. We think it might be our proxy server detecting redirects and thinking it's malicious.

I personally agree with the proxy server and feel people should order pizza from a better local place but I'm being forced to fix it.

iRend
Jun 21, 2004

MOTHER, DID YOU eeeeeayyyyy.... ooooooaaa... ff.

NITROUS DIVISION
An email came in.

"We are worried about confidential information being leaked. Can you please research and monitor likely websites for information relating to [company]? e.g. pastebin

- [company] IT manager"

Nobody is quite sure how to respond to this yet. Note that we're a hardware team.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

iRend posted:

An email came in.

"We are worried about confidential information being leaked. Can you please research and monitor likely websites for information relating to [company]? e.g. pastebin

- [company] IT manager"

Nobody is quite sure how to respond to this yet. Note that we're a hardware team.
Duh, put a filter at the mac level for the DNS pastebin.com

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

iRend posted:

An email came in.

- [company] IT manager"

You're in luck: http://www.canary.pw

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

notwithoutmyanus posted:

Is there truly anywhere else regionally known for good pizza?

Despite the fact that Buffalo is stereotypically known for chicken wings, we've got some fantastic pizza. It's kind of a hybrid between Chicago and NY style pizza. It's not flat, thin crust, and it's not 5 inch thick deep dish crust, it's somewhere in the middle. Usually a slightly chewy, golden outer crust with a fluffy, bread-like inside.

Also, your typical pizza-night meal will be whatever pizza you want, with an order of chicken wings, with carrots, celery, and blue cheese sauce. Don't be fooled, the sauce isn't for the wings. It's for the pizza. Dip that pie in that sauce and experience heaven. Most of my teenage years were spent watching movies with friends, as we all split a sheet pizza and a bucket of 50 wings.

And since I'm being stereotypically Buffalonian, your wings must be deep fried to golden crispness, then drenched in your sauce of choice, and if that sauce if barbeque, then your wings must be grilled till they get those nice grill marks on them. If they're baked, you must string that fucker up. Ain't nobody got time for no baked wings. :nyd:

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

The body exists only to verify one's own existence.

Taco Defender

iRend posted:

An email came in.

- [company] IT manager"

As someone pointed out, I run Canary.pw, which does this. It's hard as hell to monitor Pastebin but feel free to give it a try and e-mail support if you have any problems.

tomapot
Apr 7, 2005
Suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.
Oven Wrangler

KoRMaK posted:

Hell yea, are they a cutie?

Uh, no he isn't.

tomapot fucked around with this message at 04:00 on Apr 9, 2015

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

neogeo0823 posted:

Incidentally, the problem seems to have been fixed, I think. I didn't get all the details, but apparently our phone service provider did *~something~* to their servers over the weekend that said servers didn't like. Our business, along with a couple others, was on a *~special snowflake~* server of some sort. Now, all of the servers didn't like whatever the *~something~* was, but the one we're on freaked out completely and the mess we were in was the result. I will kinda miss not having to take calls.

Ugh, getting voip systems to admit the problem is on their end is the worst. Our account was also on some special snowflake server that didn't interact correctly with the other servers (attended transfers would drop the call only when calling other customers of this service). I produced tons of packet captures from firewalls on both ends of the line showing the differences in the Refer packet and argued for hours, and after two days the company vaguely admitted they found the problem on their end. Made it to tier 4 of 4, who kicked the long term resolution to engineering.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

Today's winner for quality user for me:

Customer emails me to tell me they're having trouble with one Surface not being able to install our software. I call him back and leave a message for him with his secretary since he's in a meeting. She makes me spell out my name, business and reason for call.

He calls back 5 minutes later to our Customer Care team rather than the number I left, doesn't know who called him but knows that he needs help now and is generally rude. Whatever, people are rude sometimes, it doesn't matter. I ask if I can remote in to look at the problem, he puts me on hold because he's not sitting in the same office as the computer that he called us about. Um, OK. On hold for 10 minutes, he then comes back and tells me that the computer isn't onsite today and he'll have to call back another time. He then just hung up the phone.

How do people become this stupid?

Crowley
Mar 13, 2003

MJP posted:

A walkup came in...
... while I was standing at a urinal.

Never has the term "Piss off!" been more appropriate.

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug
Turn toward him, continue conversation as usual.

Do not tuck in penis, zip up pants or stop peeing.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

evobatman posted:

Turn toward him, continue conversation as usual.

Do not tuck in penis, zip up pants or stop peeing.

There's a scene from the Jack Nicholson movie Wolf not unlike this, but I'm not about to do a search for "Jack Nicholson Pissing on man"

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

I was just looking at it and I suddenly got this urge to get inside. No, not just an urge - more than that. It was my destiny to be here; in the box.
Call comes in at 5:00am.

Transmitter that sends our television signal and is the backbone of our entire business has gone down 5 times in an hour.
The graphics system is down entirely, can't do things like transitions, lower thirds (names when people are interviewed), anything that isn't a straight video feed.
Live shots have no audio going out over the air, but can be heard fine in-studio.

Chief engineer has been called about 20 times and will not answer his phone, as usual.

I get up here at 5:30 to realize that he spent the entirety of yesterday afternoon messing around with our clusterfuck of a video network and removed a bunch of devices and cables trying to get a particular remote camera working. I have no clue what he's changed that would mess everything up this badly, but everyone is looking to me to fix it.

Happy Thursday! Is 7:30 too early to start drinking?

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Don't you have any change management in place?

(It's never too early to start drinking in our business)

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

larchesdanrew posted:

Transmitter that sends our television signal and is the backbone of our entire business has gone down 5 times in an hour.
The graphics system is down entirely, can't do things like transitions, lower thirds (names when people are interviewed), anything that isn't a straight video feed.
Live shots have no audio going out over the air, but can be heard fine in-studio.

Chief engineer has been called about 20 times and will not answer his phone, as usual.

I get up here at 5:30 to realize that he spent the entirety of yesterday afternoon messing around with our clusterfuck of a video network and removed a bunch of devices and cables trying to get a particular remote camera working. I have no clue what he's changed that would mess everything up this badly, but everyone is looking to me to fix it.

You don't happen to work for TV5Monde by any chance? :haw:

Crowley
Mar 13, 2003

larchesdanrew posted:

How on earth can him fiddling with a camera control mess up your transmission? The only reason I can figure out is if he's been pulling cables from the..

oh god

He hasn't been messing with the matrix, has he?

Does the Emergency switch still work? If not it's time to hardwire a single iNEWS machine into the matrix (or straight into the broadcaster) and send from that (or SONY whatsitsname if you use that).

Edit: Are your cameras IP-based, or SDI?
Edit2: If your graphic bundles aren't getting displayed it sure looks like your matrix is faulty. :ohdear:

Crowley fucked around with this message at 14:34 on Apr 9, 2015

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

I was just looking at it and I suddenly got this urge to get inside. No, not just an urge - more than that. It was my destiny to be here; in the box.

Crowley posted:

How on earth can him fiddling with a camera control mess up your transmission? The only reason I can figure out is if he's been pulling cables from the..

Totally unrelated issue, but coincidental with the rest of the poo poo going on. It got hit by lightning a few months ago and we just had it pretty much rebuilt, so now it's just giving us a poo poo ton of problems.

Also turns out the graphics system keeps randomly defaulting all its settings. This is the third time in just as many weeks. The company that owns the machine just accuses us of tampering with the config instead of investigating the issue. Nevermind the fact that to change the config you have to remote into a server that only they have the keys to.

Now I get to spend the day shoved in a sweaty wasp infested shack trying to figure out which of the 8,000 transmitter components is acting up :negative:

Haquer
Nov 15, 2009

That windswept look...
All this reminds me of my workplace where our TV side is an awful hardware/software hybrid right now which is the bane of my existence.

My boss recently put in a new beefy PC to run vMix (I hate this program so loving much) which he then decided to run everything TV side through so if that single point of failure screws up we lose audio or video or both because vMix is buggy as hell :negative:

Oh and our hardware matrix is almost 20 years old and the s video connectors are going bad so there's sometimes the fun game of "jiggle it until it works" that comes about. Local radio/TV for a small town blows.

Zhiwau
Sep 13, 2005
Wouldn't everything look more dull without this message?
An email came in.
A coworker wanted to thank me for setting up a new workstation for her. She says she's super happy with it and the way I handle her requests in general.
I don't know what to say...

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Zhiwau posted:

An email came in.
A coworker wanted to thank me for setting up a new workstation for her. She says she's super happy with it and the way I handle her requests in general.
I don't know what to say...

"Thank you."

It's... it's okay. :glomp:

myron cope
Apr 21, 2009

larchesdanrew posted:

Now I get to spend the day shoved in a sweaty wasp infested shack

Yeah, I'd have to find a new job. Sorry wasps.

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

myron cope posted:

Yeah, I'd have to find a new job. Sorry wasps.

I'm terrified of wasps. gently caress em. There are literally anywhere between 30-100 flying around in there year round. It's nerve wracking.

Trastion
Jul 24, 2003
The one and only.

larchesdanrew posted:

I'm terrified of wasps. gently caress em. There are literally anywhere between 30-100 flying around in there year round. It's nerve wracking.

You need this... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ytMcIpIRL3w

pr0digal
Sep 12, 2008

Alan Rickman Overdrive

larchesdanrew posted:

poo poo dude. This makes me feel a little better that I work for a post house instead of doing broadcast.

Except I applied to a job at NBC Sports as a Post Prod engineer :ohdear:

Also gently caress wasps.

vibur
Apr 23, 2004

larchesdanrew posted:

"I can't go in there. I have a severe allergy to insect venom. If I get stung, you'll have about 2 minutes to get me to the hospital. Sorry."

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002

vibur posted:

"I can't go in there. I have a severe allergy to insect venom. If I get stung, you'll have about 2 minutes to get me to the hospital. Sorry."

"Sorry can't go in there because that workplace has wasps in it and no reasonable non-insect-removal-person would do it"

Everyone say it out loud and eventually it will become true

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

AlexDeGruven posted:

State government in my case. I'm pretty sure bmw.com and the like aren't blocked anymore, but when we first got Websense they went a little block-happy and locked down basically everything that wasn't another government site. I imagine they quickly got sick of all the exemption requests and loosened it up.

iRend posted:

An email came in.

- [company] IT manager"

"In order to configure our IP packet sniffer technobabble pastebin.com technobabble, we need a copy of the confiidential information you fear may be leaked, please do the needful and provide us with this information." Then wait to see if you get anything juicy.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Say you're going to use a bloom filter with fuzzy cryptographic hashing to find it.

ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008

Heners_UK posted:

"Sorry can't go in there because that workplace has wasps in it and no reasonable non-insect-removal-person would do it"

Everyone say it out loud and eventually it will become true

"You have been issued a flyswatter and a printout of the Wikipedia page on wasps. Please do the needful."

pr0digal
Sep 12, 2008

Alan Rickman Overdrive
User reported that they were running out of drive space on an 11-inch MB Air. Their mail folder was huge (thanks Mac Mail) but Chrome.app was reporting as 8 gigs which was odd. Took a look at /Contents/ and found that the /Versions/ folder contained entries going back to Chrome 22.

Don't know if it's OS X or Chrome to blame for this one but goddamn.

pr0digal fucked around with this message at 21:04 on Apr 9, 2015

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
That's a Chrome thing I seem to remember.

Super Slash
Feb 20, 2006

You rang ?
A meeting came in:
Discuss findings and feedback for new customer document repository

Hooooly poo poo it's loving terrible.

Apparently some consultant guy made the finished product in four weeks, and we go live in two; it's basically a website where you login and download a selection of employment law documents and templates, and some of them can auto-generate copies when you fill out some of the forms. Err... that's basically it, all the documents are raw with zero copy protection, the generator doesn't work, the interface is terrible and looks like a mock-up, and it's a completely separate system which god knows who is going to maintain.

None of the higher ups bothered to show up, and while it's hard to describe things like this the rest of us slammed the entire thing for being godawful and who in their mind would pay money to build something like this from scratch (Especially when I heard the costs might add up to £100,000)

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
Client of mine(an equipment mover) periodically gets calls from people to come move old poo poo around a yard and sure enough there's a billion bees living in it and they're like "Nope!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wiggly
Aug 26, 2000

Number one on the ice, number one in my heart
Fun Shoe
A ticket came in:

quote:

Hello I'm needing help out to my car still on crutches and non weight bearing will be done about 450pm....Thanks so much ;)

I don't even....

• Locked thread